Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I thought I would never leave the treo line after purchasing the 650. However, after this recent announcement and the seemingly imminent collapse of Palm OS I am beginning to contemplate which will be my next handheld. Will it be the Treo 700 or the Motorola Q (RAZRberry).

After giving it much thought, it seems that the Moto Q not only looks sexier but is the better device as well. AND if it's true that the treo 700 will only have a 240x240 screen res, the moto Q beats it in that too with a 320 x 240 pixels, 65K TFT screen. Lastly, it's only coming out for verizon until the 3rd quarter of 2006? What a bad decision by both microsoft AND palm. By then, I will already have purchased a device (prob the Moto Q) for Cingular and won't be looking back.

All in all, this is a sad day for palm and the treo.
    Based on the available information circulating around, and after tuning in to the webcast yesterday, I think I will get the Q as well. The screen resolution, or lack there of, concerns me. Also Palm's quality control issues are of great concern. I went from the 600->650. I sometimes wish I kept the 600. I used to be a Windows-based PDA owner-- I guess I will be again--SOON.

Jesse
    ---
    Phillips Nino, Compaq Aero, Compaq iPaq, Palm m500, Clie T615, Clie NX-60, Tungsten C, Treo 600, Treo 650, ???
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84
    I thought I would never leave the treo line after purchasing the 650. However, after this recent announcement and the seemingly imminent collapse of Palm OS I am beginning to contemplate which will be my next handheld. Will it be the Treo 700 or the Motorola Q (RAZRberry).

After giving it much thought, it seems that the Moto Q not only looks sexier but is the better device as well. AND if it's true that the treo 700 will only have a 240x240 screen res, the moto Q beats it in that too with a 320 x 240 pixels, 65K TFT screen. Lastly, it's only coming out for verizon until the 3rd quarter of 2006? What a bad decision by both microsoft AND palm. By then, I will already have purchased a device (prob the Moto Q) for Cingular and won't be looking back.

All in all, this is a sad day for palm and the treo.
    I thought I read somewhere that the Q doesn't have a touchscreen? Otherwise, it might be time for me to head that way too.
    No touchscreen = no dice. I can't imagine not having a touchsreen. I also can't imagine having a Windows based device. Guess neither for me...I'll stick with my Palm 650.
    The "Q" will run WM 5 SmartPhone Edition... Not exactly the same as WM 5 Phone Edition. No touchscreen, for one, and a lot of WM software won't run on it.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    I thought I read somewhere that the Q doesn't have a touchscreen? Otherwise, it might be time for me to head that way too.
    If there will in fact be no more palm powered Treo, I will go this direction as well. If and only if there is no Palm powered device.

The thing that really gets me is neither of these companies came here or anywhere else I can think to ask what we, the consumers wanted. Just think of all the praise they would be receiving instead of some of us really considering jumpimg ship. Even car manufacturers have focus groups. I can think of no better focus group than right here, some of the most knowledgeable consumers are right here. And I bet we would do it for free if it meant we got to have some input on the next device we use. Just think if we could tell them we want WiFi intergrated, Bluetooth 1.2, Muli-tasking Cobalt, Fax capabilities, etc.. Now I am not saying that they would put all this in there, but as far as I can tell they put none of this in there NONE! As far as I am I concerned this 700W POS is nothing more than Ruse to garner more sales, to that I give x1000 . Crap, it is what I tell you. If they don't offer a Palm device I will stick with my T650 till I die or it does.

Palm For folding like a lawn chair to MS
    WM5 For having an OS that can't support the Treo's screen
    VZN For making the rest of us wait till fall '06
    Moto Q w/o full-WM5 = no sale for me. I don't want to go through the hassle of figuring out if an app works and begging devs to port it to my device - again.

Those of us shopping for parachutes will all go our separate ways and there will be others to replace us, just as there were with the 650 defectors (at least with the 700w) - after that, people might start to wonder if the "Palm experience" makes up for yesteryear's hardware and non-existent customer service.

And we might still hang out in the "Other Handhelds" forum because it happens to be one of the better places for information about our new WM phones.
    It strikes me as a bit premature to be choosing between 2 devices that aren't available yet, and that we know very little about.

Besides, who says you have to switch at all? My 650 still does what I bought it to do, and it does it very well. Other than EV-DO, maybe, I see little to motivate me to replace my 650. In fact, I'd say the 650 is markedly superior to what we've seen of the Moto phone. And it's too early to tell how the 700w will compare.

I plan to keep my 650 for at least one more generation, maybe more, unless something truly compelling comes along.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I can think of no better focus group than right here, some of the most knowledgeable consumers are right here.
    That's exactly why we're not the focus group Palm wants. In spite of all the noise we make among ourselves, power users like us are a very small part of the potential market for Smartphones. Palm is targeting corporate purchasers and the typical consumer more than they are us. A phone that had everything we want would probaby be so complex no one else would buy it. And too expensive for most of us to buy.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Here's an interesting article on cNet:

http://news.com.com/Missteps+forced+...ml?tag=st.prev
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    It strikes me as a bit premature to be choosing between 2 devices that aren't available yet, and that we know very little about.

Besides, who says you have to switch at all? My 650 still does what I bought it to do, and it does it very well. Other than EV-DO, maybe, I see little to motivate me to replace my 650. In fact, I'd say the 650 is markedly superior to what we've seen of the Moto phone. And it's too early to tell how the 700w will compare.

I plan to keep my 650 for at least one more generation, maybe more, unless something truly compelling comes along.
    You never HAVE to switch at all. But I'm one of those people who love to have the newest and best (and sexiest) devices. And when is cingular going to release it's high speed internet access (I think HSDPA). EDGE is already obsolete!!
    Also notice the Moto-Q uses the MINI SD Card. I have a fortune tied up in SD cards and I'm not about to throw them away and buy a bunch of new ones. As far as the new 700w is concerned, I really don't see where it has a lot more to offer than the 650. Like you guys, I'll stay with the 650 awhile longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    The "Q" will run WM 5 SmartPhone Edition... Not exactly the same as WM 5 Phone Edition. No touchscreen, for one, and a lot of WM software won't run on it.
    Great point. I don't think many people understand that there are two versions of WM5 and that the Q will be running the Smartphone edition. Here is a link that reviews the WM5 Smartphone edition. You may think twice about switching to the Q from your 650 or not buying the 700.

http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/art...smart-en.shtml
    If the Q is using a smartphone version of WM5 and the new Treo isn't, then I will wait for the new Treo.

Thanks dstevens!
    How are these 3 going to compare to each other? The Q should be out in only a few days, and it looks like a great piece.

Anyone have any ideas?

-Kyle
    If the Q was available for Sprint I'd give it some consideration. Verizon's plans are too expensive for me.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I just ordered my 700p, but I'm very intrigued by the Motorola Q. Engadget just reported that Verizon would be selling it for $200. Verizon's plans are too expensive compared to Sprint's, so I'll have to wait to see if/when Sprint gets it.

Palm OS vs WM is a highly subjective thing, but I'm curious what the WM fans think of the 700w vs Q matchup. The Q is cheaper, has 64MB of run-time memory, a 320x240 screen, better one-handed usability (thanks to its use of WM Smartphone edition) and is slimmer.

The 700w has a narrower design, full-size SD slot, SDIO Wi-Fi support, and a touchscreen.

I'd have to play with one in a store to see how I liked it, but based on what I'm seeing, the Q looks to be a better device. Probably better IMO than the 6700 as well (unless you really want/need built-in Wi-Fi).

What say you?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    It's an apples v. oranges comparison. The Q is better compared with the Blackberry.
    i say that comparing treo to q is comparing apples to oranges. I would say the Q is more aligned to be called a "blackberry killer".

you can't really compare smartphones to pocket pc
    whoa we posted that at the same time
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast