Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com
    What do you want for $199???!!!
    The same thing you get with a $29 or $600 device.... something that works!

After looking at the CEO vid online, I think they are banking on RF to push the product.... not really other features.

edit: think it was the ceo or either president....
    After seeing this video, I think I just fell out of love with my 650...

http://www.mobileburn.com/gallery.jsp?Id=2382
    It's a nice low end smartphone. Maybe I'll get one for my kid.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    lucky kid
    <merged>
    He'll sure watching cartoon network on the family slingbox from school, or chatting to his overseas friends on Skype. He'll love listing to his Yahoo PlayForSure music on his A2DP headphones while looking up answers at EVDO speed on wikipedia. He'll enjoy saving money by using MSN messenger and e-mail instead of SMS messages. He'll enjoy watching video's using TCMP. And imagine all the money he will save by using mp3 ring tones!

Yes, lucky kid indeed.

BTW, for a more positive review than the pcmag one, look at this very comprehensive one from geek.com
    http://geek.com/hwswrev/pda/Q/index.htm

Surur
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Now this was really funny. Read the article first.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060531/tech_...to_q.html?.v=3

"So, Bond, how did the new cell phone work out?"

"I tossed it at a Russian agent, stunning her. Then I took her Treo."
    This is awesome. If it came to sprint. I would truely considered it. For now I think i will get my girlfirend to get it for her work. She is on Verizon & needs a whole laptop to go on business trips for emails. This is perfect for people who want it to do a few things really well & not add a ton of software. People who typically get blackberries...
    No editing of word/excel documents is a no go for me...
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84
    I thought I would never leave the treo line after purchasing the 650. However, after this recent announcement and the seemingly imminent collapse of Palm OS I am beginning to contemplate which will be my next handheld. Will it be the Treo 700 or the Motorola Q (RAZRberry).

After giving it much thought, it seems that the Moto Q not only looks sexier but is the better device as well. AND if it's true that the treo 700 will only have a 240x240 screen res, the moto Q beats it in that too with a 320 x 240 pixels, 65K TFT screen. Lastly, it's only coming out for verizon until the 3rd quarter of 2006? What a bad decision by both microsoft AND palm. By then, I will already have purchased a device (prob the Moto Q) for Cingular and won't be looking back.

All in all, this is a sad day for palm and the treo.
    jwein84,

You must not be a power user of the Treo. Having tried the 650 AND the 700W, I can't wait to get back to the Palm OS. The 700W's hardware is excellent, but the Windows software is creepy. 700P, here I come!

Here's why:
    1. Palm allows switching from one application to another quickly and seemless, whereas the Windows software takes twice as long to switch. Also, don't press the keys too fast... or Windows will bring you it's frozen, locked down, it's-useless-until-you-reboot screen. Even sometimes when just taking a phone call while you were in the middle of another operation.

2. P-Tunes (which runs on Palm) is light-years better than the worse-than-useless Windows Media Player. The WM Player doesn't even let you create playlists! An iPod, it's not.

3. While managing emails is easier on the 700W, creating and editing in Versamail is much more intuitive. Also, Versamail lets you look at HTML emails.

4. Blazer-Browser. Where do I start? With all the blazing speed of EVDO, getting to my information is MUCH harder using the windows browser. Stating all the reasons why would take me 10 minutes to write, and you wouldn't want to read all of it. Take my word for it.

The big things that Windows has going for it are: a better pda MS Office suite and... and... uh, I guess that's it.

Good luck with your Q. You're going to need it.
    Moto is positioning the q as a bb killer. If your company doesnt have a push solution already and you are using exchange, then the q for $200 seems like the place to go.

But if you already have BES or Good, would the Q give you any advantage? I dont think so.

The Q is sexy, but some early reports from qusers arent all rosy.

From http://www.qusers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=576

1) Microsoft removed way too many features from the Smartphone edition of Windows Mobile 5. In the Treo, you could set all kinds of customizations to the home screen, add things, take things. With the Q, you can't customize the home screen at all, just choose between some presets that aren't too much different, and make the icons huge anyway. I want to get rid of the "Wireless Sync" field, because it's absolutely 100% worthless on the home screen. And no, I don't want to delete the sync application itself, just take it off my home screen.

WM PPC also let you set things like the font size, completely absent from the Q. I find the fonts too large, and not enough stuff fits on the home screen. You also can't make any kinds of screen adjustments, turn on cleartype. These are just *options* that were sitting in the OS to begin with, for unbeknownst reasons, MS chose to simply remove them from Smartphone edition.

The alarm is also a terrible cripple, you can only set it for one static time, and getting into the alarm requires way too many clicks. PPC edition lets you set 3 seperate alarms, and set them to only go off on certain days. There's no reason in the world for this functionality to have been removed. Although this is mainly a thing with WM5 Smartphone, I'm going to partially ding Motorola here, because Palm took the time to make many modifications to the more annoying aspects of the OS, Motorola could have, and certainly had the time to do the same.

2) The keys are good for the most part, but I find that I often out-type them. I'll be going along typing and look back to see that a letter didn't get on the screen, and not because I missed it, but because the OS missed my keypress. The Treo 700w has inadequate memory, and it doesn't have this problem, so I'm hoping the first update or a registry hack can help with this. The backspace key is also in a horrible place. It isn't the least bit ergonomic to reach all the way up where it is to backspace when typing. Also, the wheel seems to be a bit sketchy, often trying to press it in it will roll up or vice versa, and it's much harder to roll the wheel upward than it is downward.

3) When you are on a call, and you navigate to the home screen or any other aspect of the OS, then get finished with your call and press the End button, unless you are in the "Call Status" screen, it will not hang up. It just waits for the other person to hang up and says "call lost". No matter where in the OS you are, pressing that red End button should end a call if there is one.

4) When you actually do end a call from the Call Status screen, it traps you in there, with a useless "Call Ended" message until you manually get out of there yourself by hitting home. When I end a call, I want to go back to the home screen, not stare at a blank screen that says my call ended. I know it ended, I hung it up. There's no reason for this not to be optional.

5) As to text messaging, there really needs to be an option to go straight to the SMS Inbox when you hit Email, Text Messages option on the home screen. Windows Mobile 5 makes it easy to change Inboxes once you are in there, just by pressing Left or Right key you can go between your SMS, MMS, Outlook. It's redundant and inconvenient to add the extra step of choosing one when you click your messages. Drop us into the most recently used one, and if we want to switch accounts, left or right does it in a snap.

Also, when you choose a contact from your phone book, and go to Send SMS message, your text cursor goes up into the phone number field, instead of into the body of the message. If you took the time to go into your contacts and select the person and go to Send SMS, you probably don't need to be typing into the To: field, you want to just get to typing your message. When you go to Reply to an existing message, the cursor goes into the message field like it should, but not when composing a new SMS. Not intuitive.

Now before anyone gets the idea that I've crossed over into the dark side with Chris, I actually really love the Q and plan on keeping it. It's form factor is great, and it's voice/signal quality and speakerphone quality blow the Treo out of the water. For me to only find a handful of things wrong with a phone and commit to keeping it is pretty rare. I just hold Motorola to a high standard with the Q given that Motorola and Verizon took their sweet time getting it out. They had more than enough people and time to tweak things and find these counterintuitive usability problems. Hell, I came up with these things in less than a day using it, I'm sure their paid testers did over the year.

Since Motorola is positioning the Q as their flagship phone for not only business users but also consumers, I'm really, really hoping that they will stand behind it with continuing updates. Most of my concerns could be easily updated away, aside from the second.
    The KB cant keep up?

Also see: http://www.qusers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=521
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I would say each device satify individual choices. There's no one suits all unless you have all but one company monopolize everything or the goverment steps in and declares a standard for all.

Microsoft's current version of WM5 is not that far from being common place. With a big company like MS, they can sink companies like Palm very easily just by multiple iteration under different brands.

The Q, even though it uses MS CE as base OS, is interesting to see what the market reception will develop into because I see it as an entry level device for combined phone and PDA. Granted that majority of users still want a basic phone, younger generations will look at this and say: this is affordable and has the key functions I need.

However, the data plan offering may discourage some new users but there will be definitely new signups on this product.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Just read a review on this Q machine and found the following quote in that review (on CNN I believe) rather hilarious:

Motorola has high hopes for the Q, expecting it to sell as well as the Razr, the super-slim clamshell phone. That seems optimistic. If you're going to pay $110 a month for portable e-mail, there are better ways, unless slim and light are your main criteria.

"Fine, Q. It has excellent aerodynamic properties."

"I'm sorry?"

1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ash1348
    Now this was really funny. Read the article first.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060531/tech_...to_q.html?.v=3

ha - should have read through the entire thread first. reminds me of a review i saw of the volvo s60r station wagon. at the end of the review the guys says - so basically I'd take an Audi S4 avant...
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    I would say each device satify individual choices. There's no one suits all unless you have all but one company monopolize everything or the goverment steps in and declares a standard for all.

Microsoft's current version of WM5 is not that far from being common place. With a big company like MS, they can sink companies like Palm very easily just by multiple iteration under different brands.

The Q, even though it uses MS CE as base OS, is interesting to see what the market reception will develop into because I see it as an entry level device for combined phone and PDA. Granted that majority of users still want a basic phone, younger generations will look at this and say: this is affordable and has the key functions I need.

However, the data plan offering may discourage some new users but there will be definitely new signups on this product.
    The only thing that's going to hold it back is Verizon's incredible greed in pricing its data plans (are they a cousin of Exxon?) Seriously, if Verizon offered Sprint priced data plans with a unit like this they'd clear the decks. Even with that said, I saw some post on another site that people couldn't get an order submitted for the Q because of overload (according to the Veirzon reps) in orders for the Q. I thought the CEO of Motorola was smoking something when he predicted these sales:

Ron Garriques told analysts at an investment conference that the company has high expectations for next week's U.S. release of Moto Q through Verizon Wireless, followed soon after by its launch in Latin America, China, Korea and elsewhere. Motorola estimates 750,000 sales of the Q in the first 90 days, 1.5 million in the succeeding 90 days and 3 million the three months after that. Those are the same numbers racked up by the Razr, the ultra-thin phone whose enduring success has helped the Schaumburg, Ill.-based company pick up market share on industry leader Nokia Corp. since 2004.

"We think we'll follow the exact same curve as Razr did," Garriques said at the conference in San Francisco, which was Webcast.

It has to be coming out on another carrier(s) soon. A public company like this, making pretty bold forward looking statements, HAS to have some idea what it's talking about. You really need to consider that subforum Ronbo.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    love the form factor but hate it seems BT functions are lmited. they limit the headsets, car kits and not laptop teathering via BT or cable. I will have to pass becasue of this. Looks like a 700P is in my future
    Seen the commercial, read up on it a little... Damn, if it weren't for Verizon's outrageous prices, I'd be all over that. I pay $15/month for unlimited data with Sprint.
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    The cure for boredom. Talk anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    ...<snip>..You really need to consider that subforum Ronbo.
    Only admins have that authority.

Anyway, is it the same reason, does Verizon have exclusive rights to sell first the Q so other vendors can only sell it after the exclusivity expires? I don't think it was the same for the RAZR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Only admins have that authority.

Anyway, is it the same reason, does Verizon have exclusive rights to sell first the Q so other vendors can only sell it after the exclusivity expires? I don't think it was the same for the RAZR.
    I think Razr was a Cingular exclusive on original release - and I think most all of the "hot" phones start out as someone's exclusive.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I am needing help regarding the Moto Q and the Palm Treo, and am wondering if you could help me make a decision between the two. I am a Physician Assistant student, and I plan on purchasing one of the two by the end of the week. I need something to put some of my PA software on and such. I really like the Q, but am wondering if I should go with the Treo.

I have Windows Vista, and am unsure if either of these are compatible. Also, I am reading some of my software instructions, and it says to pick either the Palm OS or the Pocket PC icon (and if you have a Windows CE device to pick Pocket PC). So I am wondering if his narrows my decision down.

Basically, I am dazed and confused and know nothing. Do you mind sending some advice?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast