Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 81
  1. #21  
    great minds think alike, i guess
  2. #22  
    I disagree. My understanding is that MS has converged both platforms with WM5 such that only the GUI will differ. Behind the scenes, a developer can share the exact same code. Does anyone know how the Q's CPU compares to the 700w's? That would be the only thing that could limit what you could do. And if they're comparable, the Q's higher-res screen would give it the advantage IMO.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  3. #23  
    I've got the 700w and I consider the Q direct competition... I'm shocked at the price too! I paid $499 I think for the 700w and the Q is $199?!? The one thing I may do is pick up the Q and hand-me-down the 700w to the wife... What ARE the exact specs on the device? Does it really have a higher res screen? What kind of memory or proc speed?
  4. #24  
    320X240 screen
    64mb RAM

    No spec on Moto's site regarding CPU. Their Quicktime presentation sux.

    I gave up a BB because I couldn't stand the thumbwheel. Can't verify if the Q does or doesn't have touch screen. Most likely not since it doesn't come with a stylus. This means no dialpad on the screen. That really bites.
  5. #25  
    I personally consider the Q to be a threat to the 700w as well. The lack of a touchscreen is more a important price dropping point. The OS is made to be far more one hand friendly as a result however which is a major important fact to most treo users. As such, I think the Q will become quite popular, provided other carriers besides the "king of high priced data" get it...
  6. #26  
    Here is my main concern... My wife and brother both have the Motorola RAZR through Verizon and they both HATE it. The phone is so incredibly sluggish. It takes FOREVER to open and navigate through programs. And its becasue the phone is so thin.

    Do you think the Q will be the same?? I have a feeling that it will. Motorola is known for their "sluggish" phones - so i've heard.
    Any thoughts?
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by tama2112
    Here is my main concern... My wife and brother both have the Motorola RAZR through Verizon and they both HATE it. The phone is so incredibly sluggish. It takes FOREVER to open and navigate through programs. And its becasue the phone is so thin.

    Do you think the Q will be the same?? I have a feeling that it will. Motorola is known for their "sluggish" phones - so i've heard.
    Any thoughts?
    The OS between the RAZR and the Q are totally different. The RAZR uses Moto's crappy as all get out UI. Yes it's slow and and ugly. The Q is using Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 for Smartphone. It should be snappy, despite Moto's reputation for making slow os's on other phones.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    I personally consider the Q to be a threat to the 700w as well. The lack of a touchscreen is more a important price dropping point. The OS is made to be far more one hand friendly as a result however which is a major important fact to most treo users. As such, I think the Q will become quite popular, provided other carriers besides the "king of high priced data" get it...
    Good points Shadowmite, totally agree with you. I have gone back and forth of the years between Smartphone & other devices. I went from PocketPC with touchscreen to the MPx200 when it first came out. The size was great but it was clearly gen 1 device. I am looking forward to trying out the Q. I think the lack of a touch screen as hit's plusses and minuses - it does take getting used to after using Treo's though. I think the addition of the scrool wheel could be very good. I'm excited to try it out.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
  9. #29  
    I don't care for the scrollwheel. It's in an akward place if you're holding it one-handed. The Treo gets by fine with just the D-Pad so if MS integrated the D-Pad into the Smartphone OS/GUI well you shouldn't need a scrollwheel.

    Shadow, can you tell us if Sprint is testing the Q? I'm sure you know.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    I personally consider the Q to be a threat to the 700w as well. The lack of a touchscreen is more a important price dropping point. The OS is made to be far more one hand friendly as a result however which is a major important fact to most treo users. As such, I think the Q will become quite popular, provided other carriers besides the "king of high priced data" get it...
    This is SO right. The one-handed use of my 2125 was so much better than my 8125, but I just couldn't do email on a T9 keyboard. Give me a real keyboard (like the Q) and I could see it be a far better alternative to the 700w, and even give the 700p fits because of the price points.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  11. #31  
    The Q is snappy.

    I've used a MPx220, a Q and the Razr, and the Q is the fastest. The Q does not have a touchscreen.

    The Q and 700W are just different. The price will mean the Q should sell really well.

    If they only carried it on Sprint.
  12. Cartman's Avatar
    Posts
    700 Posts
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    #32  
    And here is my 2 cents on the Q vs. the 700w:


    I think the Q will be a big success.. both in the consumer and corp. markets.. it being based on WM Smartphone edition means that it is much easier to use and works much better as a phone than even the 700w...

    Smartphone edition is much more efficient on memory and processor usage and with the Q's 64MB's of Program memory it is very unlikely that you will run out like you do with PocketPC's.

    The 700w made great strides in one handed operation and ease of use but the Q is in a different league...now the 700w does have benefits over the Q but for a basic phone/email/contacts device the Q will be very successful.....ease of use will be one of its strong points...piggy backing on the razors success is added gravy....
  13. dimitri's Avatar
    Posts
    881 Posts
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    #33  
    I have to go with other people. I think it is almost just like a blackberry.
  14. #34  
    People keep forgetting that the Q runs Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone Edition and the 700w runs Windows Mobile 5.0. WM5 Smartphone is a severly limited edition of WM5. There are very few programs that will run code for code on both devices. The 700w even though it is called a Smartphone by Palm is more of a Pocket-PC with integrated Phone, wheras the Q is a Smartphone. I even considered the Q for awhile but the 700w has replaced 90% of what I used my HP iPaq hx4705 PDA for on a daily basis the Q can't even come close to. Having used the BlackBerry I think both the 700w and the Moto Q kill it hands down. The Q is a more closely comparable device though. Q users won't (shouldn't) have to reset their deviced as often but then again they will not be able to run all the apps that a power user can (or tries to!) run on the Treo.

    And to add one more thing to the list of irritants with the Q and Verizon... Verizon Wireless os going to charge the full price for Unlimited Data Package ($44.95/mo) for the Q even though it has more limited browsing capabilities. If I'm going to be paying for a Data package I'd prefer to have all the capabilities of the Treo.

    Just my thoughts but something to consider.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by wupatki
    And to add one more thing to the list of irritants with the Q and Verizon... Verizon Wireless os going to charge the full price for Unlimited Data Package ($44.95/mo) for the Q even though it has more limited browsing capabilities. If I'm going to be paying for a Data package I'd prefer to have all the capabilities of the Treo.

    Just my thoughts but something to consider.
    If you get the voice/data bundled plans you get the data at $30 a month. The 1350 minute plan is $109 which means you are paying $30 for the data.

    Your points about the differences between WM and WM Smartphone are right on. It's all going to depend upon what you need in a device and what power apps you must have that either can't or won't be ported over to WM 5 Smartphone
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
  16. dimitri's Avatar
    Posts
    881 Posts
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by seaflipper
    Your points about the differences between WM and WM Smartphone are right on. It's all going to depend upon what you need in a device and what power apps you must have that either can't or won't be ported over to WM 5 Smartphone
    I have to have my GPS software and I really don't think you can do that on the Q.
  17. #37  
    <merged>
  18. Cartman's Avatar
    Posts
    700 Posts
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri
    I have to have my GPS software and I really don't think you can do that on the Q.
    There are GPS solutions for WM Smartphone Edition (Moto Q) already on the market...

    They gave all the Gumballers WM Smartphones (like the Q) to every car and it allowed you to track where in the world they were by going to a web site....

    GPS should not be your deciding factor as it is strong on both.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri
    I have to have my GPS software and I really don't think you can do that on the Q.
    You can do GPS on the Motorola Q.

    Copilot (a well regarded Windows Mobile GPS program) has a smartphone editon.

    http://www.alk.com/copilot/smartphone_features.asp

    Another factor when considering the Q vs 700w argument is voice quality. We've yet to see reviews of the Q's bluetooth radio and voice quality. The Q was designed by the same people who made the V3c, which is at least in the top two for bluetooth and radio performance.

    If it has the same voice quality and bluetooth quality as the V3c, then I think it will compete with those who are looking at the 700W, because some of us are sticklers for voice quality.

    I still think they aren't really competing with each other though.
  20. #40  
    The Q is running the same OS kernel as the 700w. Smartphone edition under WM5 is much more powerful compared to previous versions. And the 320x240 screen should make it even easier for developers to make Smartphone / PPC apps using the same codebase.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions