Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OOOHH
    AAAHH

I can't believe that this phone hasn't been posted yet. I guess things must be gettin slow around these parts

...or perhaps you don't care about phones with crappy OSes.

ANYWHO...This phone is the hardware I've been asking Palm to come up with for the past year or two. Conceptually it's the best I think we'll see for several years. I'm sure there're some minor IO details that could be changed like screen resolution, keyboard adjustments, etc....but overall, I'm extremely impressed.

I always lean more to the hardware side before the software side. I'd prolly be willing to trade the 650 for this phone, after a short test drive. I could give up the finer PalmOS refinements such as DirAssist, Resco Explorer, Chatter (even tho I don't use it, it's still awesome software) and others...provided its [hacked] builtin software would allow me to sync all RAM files & use EV-DO on my laptop over bluetooth every once in awhile. I think the syncing is really the main thing...DUN could be handled sooner or later if someone had the will.

Lately I've just been frustrated that the PalmOS sucks and now that I've seen this new LG phone it just rekindles my hatred for Palm's open candybar theme. First Palm dances with the devil, then Access outta nowhere buys out PalmSource? This market is TOOO dynamic. I'm just not going to be happy with the software side of things for the next year at a minimum (tho that's very optimistic) - I'm not buying WM5 and Garnet sucks. I'm waiting for Linux....and until then, I don't think LG's built-in OS could be all that bad (we'll wait and see, tho...maybe Garnet will look better after a trial LG run).

I'm still kinda amazed that this phone is being released next week. I haven't heard anything about it, prolly because of the hurricane....and it wasn't posted here, prolly because it's not really a true "smartphone" but it's pretty dern close!!

Naw, guys...I'm just kiddin'....I don't think I could give up all the development that has gone on for the PalmOS. BUT THAT HARDWARE MAKES ME HORNY!! Palm, can you hear me now?
    Have you seen this thing in person? I have - it's intended for the teen/Gen X user who wants to text msg and IM like a mo fo. It has a completely proprietary OS - you won't be able to add in anything other than what Verizon will let you, via Get It Now.

But maybe you're cool with all that.

Plus it's <really small> when opened - and it's thick when closed. The worst of both worlds. At least dance with the girl before you say you want to take her home....
  3.    #3  
    Warning - Sorry for the long post, I've had withdrawals due to Katrina.

Hmm...it just so happens to be that I belong to the Generation of which you speak. Gen X I am!

Anyway...the reasons it appeals to me are because first of all, it meets the TWO definites in a cell phone: (1) keyboard, and (2) access to the internet. Sure others meet these requirements, but they're sportin' the evil OS, have terrible form factor (IMHO), or my favorite....WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!

It one ups my 650 in each of those 2 areas due to design issues...candybar AND clamshell versus just plain candybar. I don't want the keyboard and hi-res exposed....and I'd prefer if I could hand my phone to some retard and have him completely understand how to dial the numbers and press the green button. The 650 isn't going to get any better in that respect, but people are just SOO wowed by my phone that I almost want to b!tch slap 'em just for staring, awestruck, at the bright screen/keyboard for minutes at a time before finally hearing my voice slowly fade back in their heads.

Anyway...I'm well aware of the software limitations on a dumphone possessing intelligent hardware. I think I could live with it as long as my one major software requirement were met...as long as I could sync all contacts, etc. with the computer, LG SERIOUSLY HAS CAPTURED MY ATTENTION. All other software issues are minor to that one. Lately I have been texting more because of the hurricane and Sprint sucks down here...issues have mostly been resolved now, but it's still not perfect (Verizon seems soo much sweeter to me now than before Katrina...I used to rag on Verizon's overpriced service, but now I wish I had it, maybe just for a month tho). I'm sure LG'd allow me to check my mail (pref IMAP), write notes, take voice memos, play music, etc. I'd have to give up Directory Assistant, but I could live if (A) I could just text Local Google: 46645, and/or (B) use EV-DO in whatever limited browser they offer. I'd have to sell my SD Card for a Mini, but it wouldn't be that bad. I'd have to sacrafice watching movies, but I haven't ever watched one movie all the way through, prolly not even a fifth of a movie, actually....they're more for impressing the "normies".

Anyway....like I'm saying, as long as I've got a keyboard and the net....I'm alright. A little testing would be required, but I'm really not asking for all that much. I'd prefer to use something that works out of the box instead of reading tens, and more likely hundreds of hours, about incompatible software issues, NVFS issues, etc. I'm sure that if I were to open that LG box, their mail client wouldn't crash until they have an update...I'm sure that if I wanted to associate a picture with every caller in my phonebook, it wouldn't ask for me to pay for extra software...I'm sure that if I wanted to use voicedialing features, it wouldn't ask to use the trial application on the CD...I'm sure that if I were to put some songs on there, they'd prolly give me the ability to fast forward with a button (esp. considering it doesn't have a touchscreen, which I don't need anymore that Palm has realized how much better a 5-way is than the atrocious up-down button).

My point is that the market is moving way to fast for Palm/PalmSource to handle. I thought they had a major head start, but it's fallen to crap now. All they've got going for them is their massive userbase, but it's slowly crumbling. I don't think Palm's future can survive offering Garnet for the next year and a half while Access organizes and writes out their game plan. I guess they could survive short-term if they've got WM5 on there, but why is everything soo dern crazy?? I never knew there could be such politics over the PalmOS...it's history is unlike any thing I've ever heard.

As long as it meets my VERY basic needs and also just so happens to be the hardware I've been asking for for A VERY LOONNNNGG TIME.

As for your thickness comment, I'm not sure it'd be that much different than the 650...I still hear comments that the 650 is a brick for most people....drives me nutty hearing that this phone is "fat". I'll have to read the dimensions later when I hear some decent reviews of it and get some more details on this thing.

Just to recap, it meets all my hardware requirements. If it had WiFi, I'd have to buy it...without even considering its software limitations. That would be the deal sealer, even though WiFi is the least important hardware factor for myself. Like I said, I just love the right blend of hardware.

As for my software limitations...if it is syncable with my desktop, I'm giving it thought. Considering the current price and the rate that the price WILL drop in the very near future, it seems like the only decent option besides keeping the 650 which I'm getting tired of. I guess I'm just itchin' to hear another Treo announcement I guess, but if it doesn't have Palm Linux, I don't think I'd itch at that option for very long.

Basically all software options up 'til now have let me down and I think LG could possibly be able to tide me over 'til Access straightens PalmSource out. So long as it performed some VERY BASIC functions with less than a 25% failure rate...I'd say it's doing a better job than Palm[Source]'s idea of jumping into a cell phone market with a decent first mover advantage plan that they couldn't execute even halfway right. Now is when others really start to catch up with Palm and their crazy history finally meets its certain death in the near future.

One question that I was just curious about...anybody know if the audio jack on the VX9800 is 2.5mm or 3.5mm? Thanks.

SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH....MAKE IT STOP!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    I can't believe that this phone hasn't been posted yet. I guess things must be gettin slow around these parts

...or perhaps you don't care about phones with crappy OSes.
    Well, this is the Handhelds forum in the Smartphones section of TreoCentral's discussions boards. According to the Gizmodo article:
    One important thing to keep in mind: it is not a smartphone. There’s no OS and the screen is not high-res, ...
    So maybe it wasn't previously posted here in the same way there's not much discussion about the LG VX8100 or equivalent.
  5.    #5  
    Well, I consider a smartphone a phone with a keyboard....any "smartphone" that uses WM but doesn't have a keyboard is not a smartphone to me. I think the limited buttons makes it dumber than having a limited/closed software platform. But that's just me, I guess.

I really wish I knew what functions this LG will and won't have.
    Well, at least you had sense enough not to drop the:
    "OMG!!!1!onE!1 TREO KILLER!!<shift>1!!!oN3" title on us.

But big whoop, a cellphone with a keyboard. Yay!!! [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/jc120/smiley/******.gif[/IMG]

Oh well, guess if a 7-11 can have locks on it's doors, a cell phone without an OS can have a keyboard.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    Plus it's <really small> when opened - and it's thick when closed. The worst of both worlds. At least dance with the girl before you say you want to take her home....
    Dance...sounds like a commitment. Plus...don't you get 15 days with it anyway...if you don't like it, you can take it back.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

All I can say is - before you guys fall in love with the thing based on pictures, USE it. Try it, and then decide.
    Anyway...I'm well aware of the software limitations on a dumphone possessing intelligent hardware. I think I could live with it as long as my one major software requirement were met...as long as I could sync all contacts, etc. with the computer, LG SERIOUSLY HAS CAPTURED MY ATTENTION.
    But almost any modern mobile can do that these days?

Anyway, as others have said, this is nice hardware on basically feature phone platform on steriods...thus not a smartphone...

The one bright spot about this is that LG just happens to be a PalmSource lisencee. Thus it could be conceivable that something like this could be running PalmOS in the future...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Well, at least you had sense enough not to drop the:
    "OMG!!!1!onE!1 TREO KILLER!!<shift>1!!!oN3" title on us.

But big whoop, a cellphone with a keyboard. Yay!!! [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/jc120/smiley/******.gif[/IMG]
    Compliments on the smiley...

But anyway, I'm just sayin' that hardware is pimp. If enough people bought it, more commercial apps might become available...a newer re-release of the phone could have a better OS (i'm prayin' that Palm Linux will save the day sometime soon)...or they could open up the OS and/or distribute SDKs (prolly not all that likely).

Realistically I'm not going to be buying this phone because I have invested quite a bit of time/money into the 650...also, EV-DO won't be available in my neck uv da woods for another year or two. I'm just drooling now...that's all. I never woulda imagined that Palm's base would be slipping so soon/quickly.

The next phone manufacturer that will get my money will be the first to offer a phone with keyboard, EV-DO, and Linux....if the phone looked like this LG, there'd be no question that I would recommend it to everyone I know. I'm reluctant to suggest that everyone I know buy a 650 due to obvious hardware and software quality issues. I, personally, use my 650 all the time, but both Palm hardware and PalmOS leave me wanting so much more.

Oh well, guess if a 7-11 can have locks on it's doors, a cell phone without an OS can have a keyboard.
    Poor analogy. A keyboard for text messaging, emails, contacts, memos, etc. on a phone with a simple OS would be a couple magnitudes more helpful than a lock on a 7-11, which I'm sure they do use on OCCASION, even if a rare one.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    But almost any modern mobile can do that these days?
    None of my friends sync their contacts with their PCs...that's news to me. The only phone I had before the Treo line was a Nokia 5190. I can't believe how the 300 trumped the 5190 in everyway other than durability....and now I don't understand how I used the 300 at all, much less liked it.

Anyway, as others have said, this is nice hardware on basically feature phone platform on steriods...thus not a smartphone...
    Whatever. I still want to see how much the OS varies, if any at all, from their regular phones' OSes. I don't know of any normal phone OS that allows you to write memos. But voice recognition, dialing, recording is built into this phone...unlike the Treo. Does the LG have an email app?? Is the keyboard ONLY SMS??

I'm just gonna wait and see what the OS is like, and I'll prolly laugh when I see it, but I don't think it'd be as bad as you guys are talking about - practically speaking. Dunno, tho.

The one bright spot about this is that LG just happens to be a PalmSource lisencee. Thus it could be conceivable that something like this could be running PalmOS in the future...
    SOLD!!

I'd be willing to bet that the next phone I buy will come from LG or HTC...perhaps Motorola, but I doubt it. PALM IS SOO LOSING GROUND BECAUSE THEY STILL HAVE NO FAMILY OF TREOS. I'm not giving them another penny because they really don't innovate, and as a business machine they make some TERRIBLE decisions. I don't like that.
    Compliments on the smiley...
    Thank you!
    But anyway, I'm just sayin' that hardware is pimp.
    I totally agree about the hardware design. I always thought from a design standpoint the Sony UX40/50 devices were great. (Screen could've been better, and more RAM of course, but the package was great.)

But this thing, I'd probably rather have a Danger than this thing.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    It doesn't look very small.
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000880052939/

I know there is a similar phone with the same form factor that is VERY small, but this one is not.

This would really make the perfect formfactor for a smartphone. Just get rid of the internal square screen and make a bigger one that occupies that whole area. Put the best handheld OS in it, (currently WM5.0) and you've the the best of all worlds.

But hey, don't the Nokia communicators utilize the same formfactor?

The Nokia communicatos are great, I just wish they were able to do Audible.com.
    treo 650 + SanDisk Ultra II 2GB
    in the process of selling the treo 650 and buying Qtek 9100.
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000200059631/

if my treo looked like this, but with a wide screen..........i would be the shyt.

Pimp indeed sir pimp indeed
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    I would've bought the MPx in a heartbeat, Windows or not. This device is the closest I've seen in the hardware aspect. But I don't know if I could live with such a closed device.

16.    #16  
    I totally agree about the hardware design. I always thought from a design standpoint the Sony UX40/50 devices were great. (Screen could've been better, and more RAM of course, but the package was great.)
    Exactly! If so many devices could be just a LITTLE different in one way, they'd be darn near perfect: UX50, C3100, Universal, VX9800, Treo 650/700, etc. How much longer will it take to right their wrongs? 'Til Apple jumps in the game?

As for the VX9800, you're all right...if they removed that silver trim around the screen and added in a 480x360 screen and still managed to keep those speakers on the sides, the thing would be friggin' close to perfection. The only other thing it'd be missing is the non-proprietary software. I wouldn't count WiFi as one since EV-DO is much more convenient; only time WiFi would be necessary is if traveling overseas to a destination with a decent amount of hotspots. As for the keyboard, it looks really nice - much better than I originally thought when looking at it

But this thing, I'd probably rather have a Danger than this thing.
    Eww... Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Heh.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by msafi
    It's smaller than the 650:

LG VX9800
    Dimensions: 4.57" (H) x 1.97" (W) x 1.00" (D)
    Weight: 5.19 oz
    Treo 650
    Dimensions: 5.2" (4.4" w/out antenna) (H) x 2.3" (W) x 0.9" (D)
    Weight: 6.3 oz

And when the LG is open, it'll feel much thinner and better designed when in hand...I'm sure.

I know there is a similar phone with the same form factor that is VERY small, but this one is not.
    You're prolly thinkin' of the Motorola A680...the LG is a lil' bigger but it has much better tradeoffs with newer technology.

This would really make the perfect formfactor for a smartphone. Just get rid of the internal square screen and make a bigger one that occupies that whole area. Put the best handheld OS in it, (currently WM5.0) and you've the the best of all worlds.
    Agreed....other than the OS part, but, indeed, most aren't as picky as myself. I'm not investing any more money into any OS until I see it using the Linux kernel....even then I prolly wouldn't be spending too much money at all.

But hey, don't the Nokia communicators utilize the same formfactor?

The Nokia communicatos are great, I just wish they were able to do Audible.com.
    They sure do. They're alright, they're just too long that it looks funny to me, doesn't have a 3G radio, and I'm not a big Symbian fan either - just want Linux inside.

I love devices that have Linux....Sharp Zaurus C3100, Zaurus SL-6000L, the Pepper Pad, the GP2X, etc....all are awesome and I wish I had the opportunity to try each of them.

I'm really thinking that the Pepper Pad would be great for my grandmother who is afraid of computers. She doesn't know how to type and she's not going to start now, so that thumbboard is prolly good enough for her; she'd prolly find it easier to touch the screen instead of use a mouse; and it'd be all she'd need to do to talk with relatives, see their new pictures/movies, or read the latest political news...from any room in her house. Maybe it wouldn't be good for her, I dunno....but if it isn't, I'd certainly turn her trash to treasure.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000200059631/

if my treo looked like this, but with a wide screen..........i would be the shyt.

Pimp indeed sir pimp indeed
    Yea, I've drooled over the Universal for far too long...I just couldn't possibly fit that thing in my pocket. As most TreoCentral addicts say, "Form factor's the key!"

Anybody who has this phone will be the shyt....I think it has the potential to be more popular than the Treo. I recently saw an article somewhere about how the Danger is popular...??, I don't understand but whatever. Once the price hits a certain point, people everywhere will start digging into this phone...guaranteed.
    grndslm,

what i meant to say is that the phone is not "too small" to answer to nrosser, who said it was.

i think the size of this LG is very good. and you are right, i was referring to the Motorola A680.

and good luck with your grandma, linux devices, and everything!

msafi,
    treo 650 + SanDisk Ultra II 2GB
    in the process of selling the treo 650 and buying Qtek 9100.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    I would've bought the MPx in a heartbeat, Windows or not.
    ME TOO! I actually wanted the MPx SOO BAD when I first heard of it, even tho it did have WM (<5.0)....the only thing that woulda stopped me was the expected $800~900 pricetag.

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    This device is the closest I've seen in the hardware aspect. But I don't know if I could live with such a closed device.
    Personally, I don't see it as being all that closed. It does ALL the basics I want my phone to do and I'm sure it'll do most of it better than the stock Palm firmware. Maybe not most...but, I think I would be content with what they're offering. This site has some really great information on this phone:

http://www.mobiledia.com/phones/lg/vx9800.html
    http://www.mobiledia.com/forum/topic36660.html
    http://www.mobiledia.com/reviews/lg/vx9800/page1.html

All in all, I'm not getting this phone because it doesn't make sense as I'm not changing to Verizon anytime soon and there's no EV-DO coverage in my area. But I WANT it sooo bad. It's smaller, weighs less, has no protruding antenna, protects its main keyboard and screen while closed, battery lasts ALMOST as long as 650's, does everything I need it to and prolly does it fairly well.

If EV-DO was in my city, I'd get this phone. I'm disgusted with Palm now and what little confidence in PalmSource I had has increased since somebody thought their platform was worth $300+ mil. My only hope is that Access gets the OS out soon and LG puts it on the next version of the VX9800. I'd be in heaven. Until then I can only sit back and watch as more beautiful clamshell devices pass by for me to lust over.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast