Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by msafi
    what i meant to say is that the phone is not "too small" to answer to nrosser, who said it was.
    Good...as long as you see it my way, you're fine by me!

and good luck with your grandma, linux devices, and everything!
    Gracias. I might start putting serious thought into how Granny would like the Pepper Pad now...seems like a perfect idea to me, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Agreed....other than the OS part, but, indeed, most aren't as picky as myself. I'm not investing any more money into any OS until I see it using the Linux kernel....even then I prolly wouldn't be spending too much money at all.
    I think the OS or the lack of any OS is the major drawback for this phone:

Basic Features

While exhibiting some smartphone-like qualities, it should be noted that the VX9800 does not have an operating system. Using an LG user interface, the VX9800 is powered by an advanced Qualcomm MSM6550 chipset, optimized for Verizon Wireless' 3G network.
    Wouldn't that indicate that you are stuck with whatever programs it ships with? I am far too dependent on 3rd party apps to go with any phone without either Palm or preferrably at the moment WM5.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I think the OS or the lack of any OS is the major drawback for this phone
    No doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Wouldn't that indicate that you are stuck with whatever programs it ships with? I am far too dependent on 3rd party apps to go with any phone without either Palm or preferrably at the moment WM5.
    It's a possibility that I am....but realistically I don't use many more 3rd party apps that aren't included on this phone. As long as it does what it says it does with limited hassle (something Palm CANNOT do), I don't think I'd miss playin' NES games or watchin' tiny DVD rips. Main things I'm worried about are web, email, SMS, music, camera, and PIM functions which includes backing up to the desktop. Voice recording and voice dialing are not necessary but will gladly put to use. It sounds like it does all of these well. The music player has an EQ, email supports IMAP, 1.3MP camera (which is prolly much worse than the Treo's, but I'll wait to pass judgement), ev-do will keep me happy for a good 2 or 3 years at the minimum....it does the main stuff my stock 650 can't do.

Basically, here's how it iz...I think the lighter, smaller phone with excellent clamshell design is the phone for me. As long as it does some basic functions well....I could be satisfied with what limited OS they give me. But you've gotta admit, some handset makers are beginning to shell out designs that look like they came from Japan. I read some article about how Japan builds smartphones based on being a powerul phone instead of how America builds smartphones based on being a PDA. I hope we start seeing some real competition in the market now that Palm has now cocked and fired.

I'm giving my marketing support to LG (as soon as I get EV-DO and provided another more pimptastic phone hasn't come along by that time). Hopefully I can just nag the hell out of them until they release an SDK (maybe they might or already have??).
    CheCK T.H.I.S. OuT:
    http://msmobiles.com/news.php/3495.html

It's been out for sometime, and i have been looking for it since the first time i saw this post, but then i thought i dreamt it up and gave up. only today i found a post that mentions it on howardforums.com
    treo 650 + SanDisk Ultra II 2GB
    in the process of selling the treo 650 and buying Qtek 9100.
    hmmm grndslm, you know about the Amoi G6301, don't u?

it was mentioned by you in another post here on treocentral.com
    treo 650 + SanDisk Ultra II 2GB
    in the process of selling the treo 650 and buying Qtek 9100.
    I think grndslm was interested in EVDO - GSM's EDGE falls a bit short of that spec.
  7.    #27  
    hmmm grndslm, you know about the Amoi G6301, don't u?

it was mentioned by you in another post here on treocentral.com
    Yea...I've seen it before, but (a) it's not available here, (b) it's sportin' the evil OS (wonder how much longer before I'm forced to turn to the dark side), and (c) Kupe's right...I'm DEFINITELY after the EV-DO.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12