Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 367
  1. Silver5's Avatar
    Posts
    529 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #121  
    Ok, so "lovdatreo" will not be open to the idea of a WM device. From the name, I never would have guessed . I guess that some will never realize that the Treo isn't perfect. The four Treo 650s I had certainly were not perfect... You see, fair minded people will stand back and look at both devices and their features and see that almost all of those features are the same. The problem comes in when people complain about different devices because they don't do things exactly like the Treo. This shouldn't be expected, because if different devices did act like the Treo, they wouldn't really be different, would they?

    When I want to call someone on my Jam (which is alot like the device we're talking about, but without a keyboard or Wifi) I tap the Voice Command button and say the phone number or the name, the call is placed. I can open contacts and pull up the name just like the Treo and just press call. In fact, searching contacts is easier on WM since I can look up by first name or last name, I think with the Treo it had to be either the first or the last depending upon how you had them ordered in Contacts (I may not remember correctly though). It works great for my business uses...

    Basically, I can do all of the same things I can do with the Treo, except, I don't have a keyboard. However, this new device adds the keyboard, adds Wifi, push email (does the Treo even sync with Exchange yet at all?), high speed internet (really high speed), multi-tasking (how is the Treo doing on this anyway?), and many other advantages. The Treo on the other hand provides some really nice features such as favourite (they can be linked to keyboard shortcuts still, right?), very simple interface, great hardware design, near one-handed operation almost all the time, and a whole lot of available software.

    Some of the Treo arguments aren't telling the whole truth though. How do you activate BT without touching the screen? Do you have to go all the way through to Prefs and is it even possible from there? Can you tell the battery percentage without tapping the on-screen icon in the phone screen? Nope. Can you reset the phone without removing the battery door? No. People say WM device are unstable, yet this is not true. Most Treo users reset just as much if not more (at least in the posts I read here. (Ok, I know no Treo user ever has to reset his phone, since it never freezes or has any other problem...so you don't have to let us know you've never had to reset yours. ) People keep saying that there is so much more software for the Palm, but the trouble is, you really need to buy it! You have to buy/add something in order to record voice and other sounds. You have to buy a decent email program. If you want push, you have to get a special email provider, a program for the device, and slash your battery life down to one day of use.

    We can go back and forth for day about what one type of device can do that the other cannot, but really...why do we keep doing this? This device beats the Treo in regard to specification, certainly. It looks nice. It has what looks like a very good keyboard. It has Wifi and EVDO, neither of which are offered on the Treo. It has a normally hidden keypad allowing to have a larger keyboard that is hidden to save space....it is just a better overall device. The new Treo may have it beaten, who knows, but right now the next Treo isn't here and the current one was behind in features before it was even released.
  2. #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by lovedatreo
    wow, ok then. i never said it wasn't a great phone but what is implied by this thread is that it blows the treo away. the treo is the best pda phone so far bar none. simple sales can show that. this phone is great and is the first to finally reach equal ground with the treo. the treo doesn't trump it and the 6700 doesn't trump the treo. they both have their own advantages.

    it looks like YOU are the one who holds the bias my friend.
    Sorry, Symbian blows away every other PDA/Phone on the market (in sales). Not even close. Does that mean anything? No, not really. WM5 is obviously the OS for phones of the future, not worth fighting it.
    Last edited by farzonalmaneih; 09/19/2005 at 01:15 AM.
  3. #123  
    I think this conversation has taken a nasty turn. I'd suggest the PPC-6700 proponents take a look at my comments about some of the advantages that the Treo will still enjoy. Specific example: I'm in my car and want to call my sister. I don't call her that often, so I won't have her assigned to a voice dial slot. With the 600/650, I can one-handedly type her first initial and a couple of letters of her last name and bingo. On this device, I've either got to pull out the stylus or slide open the keyboard. Can the virtual phone keypad allow you to search through your contact list using the T9-style input? If so, that would be good, though it's still not as good as the hard-button tactile feedback I get with the 600/650.

    Now, are those one-handed usability advantages enough to keep me from trying out this PPC-6700? Probably not. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one. But that's because I'm hoping this PPC-6700 will better meet *my* wants/needs, which include wanting a more comfortable thumbboard. Other people are perfectly content with the features that the 600/650 provides as-is, and ultimately you buy what meets your needs.

    It should be added that the 650 enjoys a significant cost advantage right now. With a contract I'm seeing prices under $200 these days. Sprint's official price for the PPC-6700 seems to be over $400 with a contract right now. That's a pretty significant difference.

    Regarding the comments about doing things one-handedly...I don't see much value in quibbling over these things, but yes, you can turn on/off Bluetooth without touching the screen and personally I've never checked my battery percentage as the battery icon provides all the info I care about (i.e., is it in need of a recharge soon?).

    BTW, I've been tossing around the idea of starting up a web site dedicated to this device (and probably the similar GSM Wizard) but haven't decided yet. If anyone wants to help influence my decision, feel free to PM me.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  4. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    wow, now that's a fat @ss! What is the battery life for the two batteries?

    Anyone find it strange that this and the Verizon EVDO MS phone both came with an extra battery?

    Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

    Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

    Twittering about
  5. #126  
    I don't think that it comes with the extra larger battery. I think he just happened to have one so he took photos of it. I was afraid that the larger battery would require a different back and would increase the size. No thanks. I'd just plug it in every time I got a chance. The big question is how long will the standard battery last under heavy usage and some Wi-Fi use? If it's almost as good as my 650, I would be happy. I don't mind charging it daily, but I need to get through a full day.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  6. #127  
    Just to clarify, those pics are from a post at my forum, they are not from me... They are of a beta test 6700 that has a extended battery, it does not come with that.
  7. #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I think this conversation has taken a nasty turn. I'd suggest the PPC-6700 proponents take a look at my comments about some of the advantages that the Treo will still enjoy. Specific example: I'm in my car and want to call my sister. I don't call her that often, so I won't have her assigned to a voice dial slot. With the 600/650, I can one-handedly type her first initial and a couple of letters of her last name and bingo. On this device, I've either got to pull out the stylus or slide open the keyboard. Can the virtual phone keypad allow you to search through your contact list using the T9-style input? If so, that would be good, though it's still not as good as the hard-button tactile feedback I get with the 600/650.

    Now, are those one-handed usability advantages enough to keep me from trying out this PPC-6700? Probably not. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one. But that's because I'm hoping this PPC-6700 will better meet *my* wants/needs, which include wanting a more comfortable thumbboard. Other people are perfectly content with the features that the 600/650 provides as-is, and ultimately you buy what meets your needs.

    It should be added that the 650 enjoys a significant cost advantage right now. With a contract I'm seeing prices under $200 these days. Sprint's official price for the PPC-6700 seems to be over $400 with a contract right now. That's a pretty significant difference.

    Regarding the comments about doing things one-handedly...I don't see much value in quibbling over these things, but yes, you can turn on/off Bluetooth without touching the screen and personally I've never checked my battery percentage as the battery icon provides all the info I care about (i.e., is it in need of a recharge soon?).

    BTW, I've been tossing around the idea of starting up a web site dedicated to this device (and probably the similar GSM Wizard) but haven't decided yet. If anyone wants to help influence my decision, feel free to PM me.
    Nicely put. Realistic.

    These are the *things* that we should be talking about. Exactly, you named some areas that are going to be different when switching off the Treo line of products.

    In answer to your questions, yes there are shortcuts to all those actions. I think you will be pleasantly suprised they are just as easy, easier, or close to as easy as it was on the Treo.

    If you are in the car, you can call anyone in your contacts SAFELY. Just press a button and say "call" "Jane Doe" "home", and it will dial. No need to be dangerous and look down at the screen like on the Treo. If you are in a loud place and feel that you can't use the voice command (which usually works even in very loud places), the keypad has T9 lookup of your contacts. Just start typing the first few letters of the contacts first or last name and it will pull up a list to dial. No need for stylus. Or another way, press the contacts soft button and press and hold "down" on the dpad, after about 3-4 seconds it will pull up the alphabet. Just choose the letter of the contacts name and it will pull up a list of all your contacts in that alphabet area.

    The cost of the 650 is no doubt cheaper at the moment, but we are comparing a product that was released a year ago (Treo 650) to a product that was released late last week (6700). Fact remains, Palm (edit) is cheaper.. but that will change. Another thing to consider is that the Treo has a lot of missing applications that the PPC has built in, so there is a cost savings there.

    Anyway, I like your point of view because its realistic. Unfortunatly (on both sides of the camp) people are soo biased they won't give a fair look at things.
  8. sledgie's Avatar
    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
       #129  
    but at least you drew attention to Microsoft Voice Command! I think some people are unaware it exists and how truly useful it is.
    Btw, just to point out, no one pulls out their stylus to dial the keys on the phone anymore. the only time i use my stylus is to clean out my ear wax, or reset phone (once a week)
  9. #130  
    Just to give an idea, here is the table of contents on Voice Command:

    Table of Contents
    Getting Started
    Using the Voice Command Button

    Features
    Making Phone Calls
    Showing Contacts
    Reading Appointments
    Playing Music
    Starting Programs
    Getting Phone Status
    Getting Help


    In Depth
    Personalization
    Tips & Tricks
  10. #131  
    No it doesn't come with the extended battery, the guy just was showing the pre-production version of that battery... It's got to be a Li-Poly battery, it's huge compared with the treo's Li-Ion for being about the same MAH rating... Hopefully there will be some good aftermarket ones.
  11. Fittske's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #132  
    Oh my god!!! That thing is fricken huge! Over an inch thick with the flat battery! It has got to be pushing almost a full 1.5 inches with the extended battery. With the size of this thing you might as well put a phone on one of these and carry it.....

    http://www.oqo.com/hardware/video/
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  12. Silver5's Avatar
    Posts
    529 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #133  
    Unfortunately, it looks like the exterior of this unit is really cheap plastic. I should have known since almost all Sprint phones have that horribly cheap plastic. Oh well, I have seen the GSM Wizard up close and it is certainly much nicer...Unless the production version of this phone has a nicer exterior than the one in the pictures, I'll be staying with T-Mobile and getting the GSM phone. I will just have to wait a while for the broadband speeds...Edge will do for now.

    I really, really, like the keyboard on the 6700 though...it looks so darn nice, just like the Universal...
  13. #134  
    A WM 2005 version of this phone is what I'd *really* like:
    http://www.godmode.com/godmobile/thr...?topic_id=5940

    Anyone with Sprint contacts have any idea if this might be in the works?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  14. #135  
    FYI...you all will be interested in the latest pictures that were linked to in Shadowmite's forum. Here's a link to that thread:
    http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3947#3947

    These are photos with the Treo 650 and PPC-6700 right next to eachother from various angles. Note that the back of the Treo is more curved and so will probably feel smaller than the specs would indicate. Still, the PPC-6700 is clearly quite small.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  15. #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    Oh my god!!! That thing is fricken huge! Over an inch thick with the flat battery! It has got to be pushing almost a full 1.5 inches with the extended battery. With the size of this thing you might as well put a phone on one of these and carry it.....

    http://www.oqo.com/hardware/video/
    Umm, the extended battery is NOT .5 inches! More like .25...
  16. sledgie's Avatar
    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
       #137  
    I like that Samsung... but knowing what we know about the Universal and why Sprint probably won't bring it on or a device like it until after Rev A EVDO, I dont think we'll see that Samsung soon.
    As for the OQO, great device, but it's not a phone or have evdo capabilities
  17. #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    FYI...you all will be interested in the latest pictures that were linked to in Shadowmite's forum. Here's a link to that thread:
    http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3947#3947

    These are photos with the Treo 650 and PPC-6700 right next to eachother from various angles. Note that the back of the Treo is more curved and so will probably feel smaller than the specs would indicate. Still, the PPC-6700 is clearly quite small.
    Size-wise, doesn't look like much of a difference to me..think I might give one a try. After the 300/600/650, I'm kind of "Treo'ed-out" anyway and could use a change.
  18. #139  
    Just placed an order. Man am I crazy. $630!!!

    I called numerous times and got told that it was business customers only on a couple of occasions and got disconnected when sent to Telesales on a couple of other calls. Finally I got someone who took my order without any problem. Hopefully they'll send me the right phone.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  19. #140  
    im doing my order this afternoon
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions