Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    No doubt about it, the 600/650 will still enjoy some advantages over this. In a "read-only" mode, you can check your email, your schedule, make phone calls, etc. all one-handed without having to change the device's orientation or slide the keyboard out/in. That's nothing to sneeze at. Leaving the other feature advantages aside (e.g., Wi-Fi), the big advantage for someone like me is that if you want to compose a good deal of text (emails, forum posts, etc.), this device's larger thumbboard offers the hope that it will be far more comfortable to do that. If you've composed lengthy emails and forum replies using your 600/650 and been perfectly happy with it, more power to you. For me, the 600/650's (and even my old 300's) thumbboard were all too small to be comfortable for composing lengthy texts.

I've been waiting for a design similar to this on the Palm OS front for a long time (note the mockup linked to in my sig which I made a long while ago), and while the device is far from my vision of the ideal smartphone, it will hopefully be "good enough" to keep me content until something better comes along.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Lovedatreo,
    I am starting slowly not to lovedatreo.
    I have been a loyal Treo phone fan 270,300,600 & 650.
    This device is going to be the Treo Killa, and will easily kill 300, 600 & 650. Do n't know about what 's in store for the T670. I am still skeptical about the rumors on this board.
    Palmone will have to do something major to compete with HTC .May be talk to apple to design a Nano ipod style thin Treo with a wide screen.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    I will admit this phone has my attention.... but i really think the battery is going to be an issue. 3.7hours talk time will be more like 2hrs. I use my treo daily for out of office confrence calls, and after two or three 1 hour calls, my battery is at or around 30-40 percent! Not to mention the treo is rated for 5hours talk time. Since I have not had much exposure to Win Mobile devices... what happens when your battery dies? Do you lose your info?
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    ugh... it's a shame that some treo loyalists can dismiss a phone so quickly without even educating themselves about it or using it. what's more, when they say that wifi isn't really an issue, but then bring up points that the endora sled with wifi will be out soon when the 650 should have had wifi all along, is beyond me. it's laughable. it's like saying you hate the hummer because it's a gas guzzler but you wish your 2 wheel drive vehicle worked better in Alaska.
    Ok, i'll make this as quick as possible because my words will be wasted on some of you anyway who refuse to say that anything at all, could ever be better, or compete with, last year's treo 650.

Windows Mobile 5. Better Battery Performance with the same low mAh used previously. Why? Because manufactures of the phone no longer are under WM2003SE restraints, which said, you must conserve enough battery power to survive 48-72 hours of ram backup power. That being said, most phones would shut off with 20-50% battery remaining, even though the battery indicator would show 0-5%. A write up was done that explained this in detail, if i find the link i will post it.
    2nd. The screen is larger but has a lesser resolution. However, if you were a treo user who ever used the treo 600 and lesser models I would guess that you aren't going to be complaining all that much since they were 160x160. I know, i know, once you see 320x320 it is beautiful...however, I don't think 320x240 with those screen dimensions is going to be THAT awful. if you are concerned, however, see for yourself. walk into any OFFICE MAX or OFFICE DEPOT and look at most of the pocket pc devices vs palm they have available. Render an image on the screen and judge for yourself.
    3. EVDO is available in more than 75 Sprint markets and more than 100 airports around the country. The sheer pricing for this evdo, so far, is unbelievable. $15 basic for those vision power packs! I don't believe the community could have asked for more.
    4. Wifi. Once again your dismissal that most files for mobile devices are small anyway neglects that maybe loading a web page in 3 seconds or, downloading mp3s, or streaming video, audio, movies, you name it, to your device is unimportant. Yes, this device is targeted at business consumers, however, the potential of these devices far surpasses what you probably could have ever imagined. Check out www.orb.com , free by the way, which allows you to watch live tv or movies, mp3s, you name it, streamed from your computer. As for small files - i don't know about you, but my last 5 attachments, were all more than 1 meg - 2 were pdf files, 2 were jpegs and 1 was an ogg(music file). You have to understand that these devices are soon to be replacing laptops, and if you think you transfer "small" files on a lap top, well, that's your judgment call. wifi is not just for downloading files, it's to increase productivity in a given amount of time by increasing data speeds, thus, increasing the amount of work you can accomplish in a given time frame. Wifi is gladly welcomed.
    Battery life, i'm not going to argue this again. Even if i show you charts, you'll dismiss it. But i'll say this. Very few people, who want to conserve battery life, use BT, WIFI, and phone all at once. will it be possible with this device? yes. but with those 3 running, it's hard not to consume a lot of battery life. Windows Mobile platform allows a lot of options when it comes to reduction of contrast/brightness/how long to have the screen on, etc. Last but not least, if 1350 isn't enough for you, a 2000mAh battery will be available. But then you'll probably complain about having to carry around 2 batteries too.
    I think you are going to be surprised about how people will adapt and use this device. It is instantaneous to switch between portrait and landscape. It is multitasking. It is small footprint, it is evdo, it is wifi. What more could you ask for? Other than for your beloved Palm to make it.
    My only grudge is to give up my SD card for a mini-SD card. Lucky for us, both are in the same price range right now.
    Last edited by sledgie; 09/18/2005 at 08:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    I will admit this phone has my attention.... but i really think the battery is going to be an issue. 3.7hours talk time will be more like 2hrs. I use my treo daily for out of office confrence calls, and after two or three 1 hour calls, my battery is at or around 30-40 percent! Not to mention the treo is rated for 5hours talk time. Since I have not had much exposure to Win Mobile devices... what happens when your battery dies? Do you lose your info?
    ugh. no honestly, it's going to be 3.7 hours. i have the 6600 ppc, and they rated that at 3.5 hours, and they were dead on. This is HTC who makes these devices, it's going to be a quality product. A 2000 battery will be available for extended times. You do not lose your info when battery dies, that is the cornerstone of WM5.
    sledgie,

Can you recommend any good PPC or WinMob sites that are having discussions about this device? I'd like to read more about it and you seem to have some PPC experience.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    that's a great place to start, especially considering that forum is dedicated to the 6700.

Just to let you know, I used my treo 600 for well over a year, it wasn't until Hobbes and BobDuckworth and a few others wrote reviews for the PPC 6601 that I changed my mind.. and that being said, I don't think I could go back to non-multitasking ever again.

The reason I had not updated to the 650 was because it did not have EVDO, I remember writing gfunk a while ago asking if he had any info on it

I'm working on finding that write up about battery drain and the increase battery life for WM5 so that it can be explained in more detail.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    pulled a link from the pdaphonehome forums thread, 2 reviews, 1 gsm 1 cdma (it appears)

http://rss.monroe-kc.com/index.php?itemid=86
    (6700 cdma)
    http://tatsdiy.com/tatsdiy.com%5Fnon%5Fssl/xdaminiS/
    (gsm) lots of pics on this one

it should be noted the gsm version of this phone uses a different processor than the cdma version
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    This looks like my next phone. I guess I'll order one tomorrow and hope my wife doesn't divorce me
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    Don't even bother sledgie. Unless it is a Treo these type of guys will not admit to it being a great phone.
    wow, ok then. i never said it wasn't a great phone but what is implied by this thread is that it blows the treo away. the treo is the best pda phone so far bar none. simple sales can show that. this phone is great and is the first to finally reach equal ground with the treo. the treo doesn't trump it and the 6700 doesn't trump the treo. they both have their own advantages.

it looks like YOU are the one who holds the bias my friend.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Well, yes, as someone who has used BOTH systems, I do hold a preference.

All that sales has shown is that the treo was the best selling pda phone so far. It is no where near the best pda phone. But let's get back on topic. Any new info about the 6700 please post.
    good info sledgie, but lets try not to be so quick to judge. i have used and owned many windows mobile devices before and at least two things stick out: resolution and orientation. switching orientation is most certanly NOT instantaneous and resolution is FAR worse. you can watch a video on the treo and watch the same video on a device with 320*240 resolution and see a CLEAR difference (speaking from experience). like i said, great phone. in fact, if i didn't alrady have the treo and they were in the same price range (far from it right now) i would consider it (after trying both side by side of course) but for most current users it is just not worth the jump. this will most likely become clear as the hype settles

edit: again i say most. if wifi is essential or you live in an evdo area that may vary
    Quote Originally Posted by lovedatreo
    wow, ok then. i never said it wasn't a great phone but what is implied by this thread is that it blows the treo away. the treo is the best pda phone so far bar none. simple sales can show that. this phone is great and is the first to finally reach equal ground with the treo. the treo doesn't trump it and the 6700 doesn't trump the treo. they both have their own advantages.

it looks like YOU are the one who holds the bias my friend.
    That would depend on what you call trump, I consider trump it being a non-treo that is finally equal. We are after all in the OTHER HANDHELDS forum, not the treo is god forum...

I have stayed with palm devices for a long time due to a lack of ppc devices in the same size group. As far as features and useability the ppc has always trumped the palm in real world computing. Palm is a pda, PPC is a computer... Think of them as such when you compare them.
    Quote Originally Posted by from article posted earlier
    Issues
    - Dialing can be tricky for people with larger fingers and having to pull out the stylus every time to make a call can be challenging.

- The sliding keyboard is getting a little loose.

- I did have some issues every now and then with the sync¡¦ing the device. Sometimes it wouldn¡¦t sync or connect automatically. The device for some reason didn¡¦t want to connect for a day during the trial.

- Need the ability to quickly access running programs to shut down unwanted apps as most PPC apps do not have an exit or quit function. Currently one must navigate the following sequence to access this feature. Start Menu „³ Settings „³ System Tab „³ Memory „³ Running Programs Tab.
    just what was feared, after a very short period the slide mechanism is loose (problem with 6600 as well),running apps slowing device and taking up memory (of course in its defense treo does have reset trouble every now and then), and dialing is a problem as with ALMOST EVERY OTHER PDA PHONE ON THE MARKET! this is the beauty of having hard buttons always exposed on the treo. like i said, this is a great device but everything has its little gotchas. there is a reason treo sales are so high.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    what is instantaneous to you? 1/3rd of a second? 1/4th of a second? speed of light?
    i'm not knocking you, but switching the orientation is quite fast on wm2003se, and from the videos i've seen of wm5, it's as fast or faster.
    as for whether it's "worth the jump", it depends on what is most important to you. Perhaps you are right, maybe "most" 650 users are happy with their devices. But with the introduction of evdo, the addition of wifi, the footprint (slighter smaller) of the treo, push email, true multitasking, BT 1.2: all of them on the 6700; maybe some users may look to the future with the possibility of switching. once again, reviews and more to come will be available later this week, but this is just to show a lot of treo users that other options are available and those that want wifi without having to pay for a $150 sled, or EVDO for that matter, can get it now.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    sigh. i've never used the hard buttons on my 6600, and i've always touched my screen. the reviewer forgot to mention (because he either didn't HAVE the 6700 or else was uninformed) that the phone has Microsoft Voice Dialer, you push a button and say the name of the contact or the number to be dialed. it's just about 95% (by reports) or higher accurate. i suspect the person did not have the phone, after i read that, and that some of the issues he took were from the 6600 since it has a similar sliding mechanism but not everyone has issue with it.
    but... it is very soon still. i personally think that windows is GREAT for feature rich devices but in real world usability simplicity is key and this is something palm has always been very good at. time will tell. i really think something more like that ipaq with the square screen is the best design though. if that had all the same features....it would really be hard to mess with.
    well, using voice dial for every call is highly innappropriate for most business use. what about for automated system and such. you cant dial menu options with your voice. what about making calls in loud environments?
    then agan, what about connecting to vision in an office buildin with no signal or downloading mp3s or video on the go?

its really a toss up but i think that the treo will stay winner for at least the forseeable future. it has all the features the average power user needs in a HIGHLY usable package at an excellent price.... but it will only take time for other devices to catch up if palm remains stagnant