Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Since the version of WM 5.0 that is available for use on the Blue Angel is hacked to work on the device, there are some bugs that they are still working out, but those who have received devices that were built with the OS don't have these problems. I have only used the version on the Blue Angel but I like how it works. With all of the buttons on the device I really don't need to touch the screen much at all.

I think about how many users of the Treo talk about the functionality they would lose by using Windows Mobile, I do understand some of that, but so much of that functionality didn't come with the Treo at all. Rather people buy programs like Chatter, Snappermail, and other messaging applications. You have to buy a useful music player, and countless other programs to get functions that rival or even surpass those on most WM devices. I've done all of that but have been open enough to give either OS a chance...I have chosen WM for now because it has offered more without me needing to purchase many additional programs. Sometimes I might want something, but all of the essentials are there, and they all work! Cough...Versamail...cough.
    hoping someone can anwer a couple questions about wm5

1. instant messaging- can i run actual aim/yahoo messanger on it? if not are there chatter,verichat etc like programs for it?

2. i love soundrec- do ppc phones have an audio recording program out of the box? if not are there programs one can get for it?

3. internet browsing- can it do java and see flash pages?

4. in a non ppc phone related question is evdo really 80 bucks a month?!?! there was talk that was just the connect to your laptop price? i would hope the cost of just using it on your phone would be less than 40 or so.....
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I know that MSN Messenger comes with the device but since I don't use instant messeging services I'm not too knowledgeable about them. I have heard of something called Agile Messenger which is supposed to allow MSN, AIM, Yahoo...and probably others, but I don't know anything more about it.

Yes, PPC's all have real recording right out of the box, and if you set it correctly is usually VERY clear. It can also be set to record right to your SD card so you don't use up internal memory...but if you do record to the internal memory it even syncs with Outlook...

I think it can do Java...Is that like the spinning BMW symbol I have as an avatar? If so then it can definitely do it. Otherwise I am not sure.

I think Verizon is charging around $50 per month for EVDO on PDA phones and it is probably quite a bit less with Sprint.
    sprint charges more for visions on ppc phones. I wonder if that will be true for evdo
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    403 Posts
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgarza
    sprint charges more for visions on ppc phones. I wonder if that will be true for evdo
    On paper, that was true (an extra $15), although it was not really enforced. The newer Vsion plans (Sprint's name for 1x data) don't seem to say that anymore.

If you read what the people who ordered the 6700 were told, right now there does not seem to be an extra charge for EVDO. If you have Vision, then you will get EVDO if you are in an area that has it. The problem is the EVDO footprint is tiny.
    Jeff
    im waiting for the Treo 750.
    I don't want a larger device. I want to see a thinner Treo with GPS and no antenna. The keyboard is fine. Palm OS is simpler than WM5 but it does the job. I weant a Treo type phone the thinness of a razr but with a touch screen. Now why is this so hard to get????
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aldamon
    How are you supposed to use a case with the keyboard popping out like that?

Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    I would guess you don't. I don't use one with my Treo so that wouldn't be a problem for me.
    Just seems like a bad idea to me. My Innopocket aluminum case has saved my **** a few times already.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morphiend
    hoping someone can anwer a couple questions about wm5

1. instant messaging- can i run actual aim/yahoo messanger on it? if not are there chatter,verichat etc like programs for it?
    yes

2. i love soundrec- do ppc phones have an audio recording program out of the box? if not are there programs one can get for it?
    yes
    3. internet browsing- can it do java and see flash pages?
    yes and yes
    4. in a non ppc phone related question is evdo really 80 bucks a month?!?! there was talk that was just the connect to your laptop price? i would hope the cost of just using it on your phone would be less than 40 or so.....
    no. verizon has their evdo phones for $45 evdo data. evdo data card (pcmcia) is $60. both are unlimited. there is no pricing yet for sprint for evdo phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aldamon
    How are you supposed to use a case with the keyboard popping out like that?

Just seems like a bad idea to me. My Innopocket aluminum case has saved my **** a few times already.

It will have to be a side pouch case most likely!!.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    the keyboard isn't exactly loose. Most treo users will be surprised with the amount of quality that HTC (the maker of the 6700, but branded Sprint/UTStarcom) makes with its handhelds. my 6600 came with cradle, 2 stylus, stereo headset with microphone, snap/wallet like belt case, ac adapter and screen protector. The case is, I believe, one of the best to ever ship with a handheld without having to purchase a 3rd party case. if i am to guess, it will most likely be a horizontal case, similar to the 6600
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy
    im waiting for the Treo 750.
    I don't want a larger device. I want to see a thinner Treo with GPS and no antenna. The keyboard is fine. Palm OS is simpler than WM5 but it does the job. I weant a Treo type phone the thinness of a razr but with a touch screen. Now why is this so hard to get????
    The wizzard & appache are not bigger. The Razr PDA should be ready by Jan06.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    as for pricing, some sprint users have been quoted at reasonable rates:

"I was told that I could get the Power Vision Pack for only $15 Standard Power Vision Pack + EVDO, $20 Power Vision Pack SprintTV 1channel + EVDO, $25 Power Vision Pack SprintTV 50Channel + EVDO.

These plans just came out today, brand new and they were looking at them on their computer but they weren't on the Sprint website. According to them you don't need to purchase a separate Sprint Vision pack. Just one of the 3 Power Vision packs.

So you only need to spend only $15 for EVDO on your PDA (according to them)
    "

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=55909

so essentially, no charge for people who already have unlimited vision, but if you are starting a new contract or don't have vision, you have to buy one of the above packs, which to me, that's a great price
    thanks for the answers. this is pretty exciting for me now. i wish info for the next treo would come out already so i can make a choice as to which one to get.
    And look on the bright side Treo fans...finally getting some really good competition for the Treo may light a fire under Palm's behind to push out some new models. Palm seems to be doing well financially, so I'd really like to see them experiment with other form factors. A Treo like this one could be quite compelling for Palm OS fans. Personally, though, I think I may be ready to leave the Palm OS behind.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    i dont know, this phone really doesn't seem to offer that much for current treo users. even though the screen is physically larger, it has a smaller resolution tha that of the 650. this means that you actually see LESS on screen than on treo. the EVDO is nice but only available in very select markets. WIFI is nice too but most files for mobile devices are small anyway. in addition we have the enfora sled and no doubt sometime soon will have a wifi sd solution. you can also expect EXTREMELY poor battery life with this device as most winmo devices with bt and wifi already have very short battery life. add a cell phone to that and you had better hope you have at least 5 extra batteries to get through the day. also the keyboard might be nice in that it is larger but forget about using it one handed. and how do you expect to type if it is in portrait mode? either you will have to switch it manually every time (sounds fun) or it will have some auto switch feature which will take a little while to a long time to happen (certainly not instantaneous).

BT 1.2 is excellent though, memory is nice but sd cards take care of this and the camera is great but as we found out with the 600 resolution isnt everything.

personally, i doubt this will be anywhere near as successful as the treo.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. educate yourself before bringing wrong information to the table! it's laughable!
    who? me? explain, please.
    how long before this is available to non business people and how do you make a fonecall \
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Search for HTC wizard for the GSM version...

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000640056164/
    I am all over the GSM version when it comes out
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. educate yourself before bringing wrong information to the table! it's laughable!
    Don't even bother sledgie. Unless it is a Treo these type of guys will not admit to it being a great phone.
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast