Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    jglev, I think you're mistaken. This is the Pocket PC Phone Edition GUI on top of WM5. It's not their Smartphone GUI. They've converged some Smartphone features into the newest version of the GUI, but it's still heavily stylus-dependent.
    No its not! I already have WM5 on my PDA2k, I don't know what you are talking about, what do you have to use the stylus for? I believe they have completely fixed the dependency for the stylus in WM5 (as far as I can tell).
    If it comes with a cradle, software and systems that work out of the box (ie, no need for zLauncher, an SD card, email software that works, no need to play beta tester for 85 bluetooth headsets, reboots a go go, uh I could go on), it'd be a tempting device for me too.

I use the heck out of my T650, but the real wold investment I've had to make in the device to get it to be what it should have been is its dirty little secret.

Sure, with the help of the folks at this site and all, I've got it working really well. But I've easily invested $300 in stuff that I shouldn't have needed to buy.

If this device fills its marketing claims (and that's a big if given Treo history) then the bar has been raised.
    I think this one is a Treo killer !!
    I Wanna know more about this bad boy......
    PICS please.....
    WTF is wrong with T mobile ?? Dumb A$$es .. No T650 so far and none of these new pocket PC phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    No its not! I already have WM5 on my PDA2k, I don't know what you are talking about, what do you have to use the stylus for? I believe they have completely fixed the dependency for the stylus in WM5 (as far as I can tell).
    I'd love to believe you but I'll need to experience it first-hand. Perhaps that will be soon.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Regarding the Treo-killer comments...I think that the Benq P50 (if they can get the firmware fixed up) would be the most Treo-like WM equivalent, followed by the iPaq 65xx because you can type on the thumbboard one-handed. For me, though, I'll take the added hassle of opening things up if it means I get a more comfortable thumbboard. The Treo 600/650 thumbboard is way too tiny for my liking.
    Regarding the Treo-killer comments...I think that the Benq P50 (if they can get the firmware fixed up) would be the most Treo-like WM equivalent, followed by the iPaq 65xx because you can type on the thumbboard one-handed. For me, though, I'll take the added hassle of opening things up if it means I get a more comfortable thumbboard. The Treo 600/650 thumbboard is way too tiny for my liking.
    Let me tell you why the slide out keyboard is better than an exposed one.

You get all the one handed functionality you need with WM5 + Voicecommand. Then, when you need to punch out a big email or document you can slide out the nice BIG keyboard and do your business. All this with WIFI, EDGE, a .NET operating system, and support for microsoft's new activesync push email (exchange 2003 sp2), this device is going to be hard to beat. Its also smaller than the Treo and doesn't have an anntena sticking out.
    Wait a minute , Few Issues !!
    Does this device have a five way navigation integrated as nicely as Treo ?
    Will the slider with everyday use, slowly start falling apart ??
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Wait a minute , Few Issues !!
    Does this device have a five way navigation integrated as nicely as Treo ?
    Will the slider with everyday use, slowly start falling apart ??
    Yep, 5 way navigation. Don't know about the slider.
    The Apache (PPC-6700) *does* have an antenna sticking out. Regarding most of your other comments...you don't need to convince me. I want a roomier thumbboard and I'm thinking that the voice command software will reduce my need to tap out phone numbers or search a contact list one-handedly as I do with my Treo.

Since you've already got a WM smartphone with Bluetooth, can you answer a question for me: I'd like to use one of these in the car with the audio jack connected to my car stereo's aux input and have MP3s playing in the background and a GPS app running in the foreground (connected via Bluetooth to a BT GPS) with voice commands speaking on top of the MP3s (ideally it might even mute the music a little or at least speak louder than the music as a turn approached).

I *think* I can do that (in fact, I think I can do that with my iPaq h4155, though I've never tried). But here's the added dimension...what happens when a call comes in? Can I answer the call via Bluetooth and then have it quickly reestablish the GPS connection when I hang up the call? I might even want to go with a wired GPS mouse in order to eliminate the need to even drop the GPS connection.
    The Apache (PPC-6700) *does* have an antenna sticking out. Regarding most of your other comments...you don't need to convince me. I want a roomier thumbboard and I'm thinking that the voice command software will reduce my need to tap out phone numbers or search a contact list one-handedly as I do with my Treo.

Since you've already got a WM smartphone with Bluetooth, can you answer a question for me: I'd like to use one of these in the car with the audio jack connected to my car stereo's aux input and have MP3s playing in the background and a GPS app running in the foreground (connected via Bluetooth to a BT GPS) with voice commands speaking on top of the MP3s (ideally it might even mute the music a little or at least speak louder than the music as a turn approached).

I *think* I can do that (in fact, I think I can do that with my iPaq h4155, though I've never tried). But here's the added dimension...what happens when a call comes in? Can I answer the call via Bluetooth and then have it quickly reestablish the GPS connection when I hang up the call? I might even want to go with a wired GPS mouse in order to eliminate the need to even drop the GPS connection.
    You should be able todo this. Your bluetooth on these devices is NOT limited to one bluetooth connection at a time. I have both talked on the phone using my bluetooth headset and used my bluetooth GPS at the same time, all while playing MP3's on my car stereo. This is all easily done, and is gracefull. I am just unsure if voicecommand is going to activate through your bluetooth headset so I can't speak for that area. I do know that most of the new devices coming out DO support it though.
    One more thing, the GSM version of this phone does not have an antenna, only the CDMA version does.
    farzonalmaneih, how long did you use your Treo 600/650 for? What's great about the 600/650 is that you can "tab around" and select both text fields and "widgets" (buttons, scrollbars, etc.) using the D-Pad and center button and the 600/650 will even draw a border around the elements so that you know what's got the focus. On my WM 2003 PDA (iPaq h4155), I can tab around fields on *some* apps but there's no focus ring (typically the entire text in a field will get completely selected which gives you the visual cue), but the level of control isn't nearly as good.

When experimenting briefly with an add-on thumbboard for the h4155 I found that it allowed for more control using the keyboard directional keys (and I think the keyboard tab key) but, again, it all felt far more cumbersome than the Treo's simplicity for moving focus around the screen.

When looking at the new keyboard layouts that these WM 2005 devices offer, it looks to me like they're continuing along with the approach of dependence upon the keyboard keys rather than improving the D-Pad support and improving on-screen visual cues (e.g., focus ring). To be sure, there are some improvements, like the dedicated keyboard key for "OK" (though it begs the question of why there isn't a dedicated "Cancel" key). But note that the D-Pad doesn't seem to be as comfortably accessible when in landscape/keyboard-open mode.

Again, I'll need to experience it all first-hand, but I'm skeptical that it will feel as natural or efficient as the Treo 600/650 experience. Still, if you're willing to provide more details (maybe even screenshots), of the steps you'd go through to perform a typical task and how it can be done without ever needing to touch the screen, I (and I'm sure several others) would be very interested to hear it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    No, the 6700 does not support A2DP, OBEX or DUN. It has BT 1.2 but doesn't support any of those profiles.
    Exactly how do you figure? It most certainly will, or will soon be hacked to...
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Exactly how do you figure? It most certainly will, or will soon be hacked to...

Wait till it gets Shadowdomized ....
    If it doesn't have BT DUN thebthat is a show stopper for me.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    it says DUN via BT will be supported with a future software downloadable upgrade. it doesn't say anywhere that it doesn't support the other profiles, though. it should.

**edit**

i believe the insinuation is that the current stock of 6700's being sold is similar to the early stock of 6601's sold - early beta business users will complain about what is not right about the device and around late oct/early nov, when it should be available to all consumers, the bt dun software will be available.
    Where is the GSM version ???
    Search for HTC wizard for the GSM version...

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000640056164/
    I think the 6700 form factor inprementation is much better than the Treo.

But I have invest too much in SD card and Palm softwares.
    I agree .
    Nothing beats browsing web at high speed in a wide landscape mode. Think about doing emails on this thing.
    Ummm ..I want it bad !! I need to play with this one .
    T mobile will be getting it in a month or so
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast