Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    ScottR, for being someone who went threw all the trouble to get one, I hate to have to point out to you, the testing on the phone is NOT complete, they needed a bigger test group, and released to buisness customers only for that purpose. A consumer making demands was NOT supposed to receive it.

Please make bug reports at my forum, they will be looked at by people who can get them implemented, that's all I can say.
    Shadowmite, as you know I reposted my lengthy list over in your forum. Hopefully someone who matters will be reading it.

FWIW, I am a business owner. I don't have a business account with Sprint, but I do have a TID and was even going to switch my account to a business account, if need be, just to get this phone. That's how much I wanted the added features and larger thumbboard. So, as far as I'm concerned, I'm a legitimate customer. But here's the other reason why I still don't buy into the idea that they released it to business customers first to further enlarge the test group:
    1) Business customers != tech-savvy users. I talked about this earlier in this thread. It's not a smart decision to give out a buggy product to users who may have the decision-making power to order a large number of them for their organization.
    2) I wasn't sent a form or instructions with how I should report the bugs I found. Early adopters, not typical business customers, are the ones who will find these smartphone forums and post their experiences there. How was Sprint/MS expecting to get bug reports from this userbase? Customer support calls?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev
    Spec wise, I don't think it will be up to par when compared to the 6700 and it will cost just as much (and don't forget, Palm won't give you a cradle or stero headphones or a case all of which are included in the box of the 6700).
    speaking of which, weren't you amazed at what the phone came with if you had been a previous treo user? I remember when I opened my 6600, and i saw the cradle, I was shocked! I said, what is this? I don't recognize something I don't have to pay for. Then the extra stylus, the stereo headphones! It was just shocking. As my friend says, you never know what's really out there if you limit yourself to a treo
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    How was Sprint/MS expecting to get bug reports from this userbase? Customer support calls?
    Yes, customer support calls. No joke. It worked well in the release of the 6601, probably too well (that damn beep of death). But that is exactly what has happened, whether you buy the idea or not.
    As for that caps/indicator, even Siggy over at shadowmite's site said his version of the 6700 didn't have the caps or red key light up on the keyboard. The version they released to business customers does. Which means, they changed something along the way, and hopefully they'll change it so the indicator shows up in the next release. But only one way they will know, call sprint and complain!
    This is part of sprints push to release phones faster than ever before, they intend to start releasing them all to buisness customers first. At least phones like this that require more testing then others.

No, they are not tech savy, but they are a far more limited number than normal users. Thats why, it's a controllable userbase rather than open to the masses. At least that's my understanding of it.
    OK, it looks like maybe I was giving WM too much credit. For a long while now when PPC vs Palm debates would stir up, I've championed the value of the PPC's (WM) true multitasking by citing a specific example of a user wanting to look up some info elsewhere when they were browsing the web. Well, today I was browing the web and went to log into a web site. I needed my username and password and had them stored in a text file on my PPC-6700. So I bop over to file explorer, find the file, and look up the info I needed in a .txt file. I then highlighted the password and selected "Copy" from the menu. I then switched back to Internet Explorer, made sure my cursor was in the "Password" field, and then opened up the menu to locate the "Paste" option. It was disabled.
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    Well, today I was browing the web and went to log into a web site. I needed my username and password and had them stored in a text file on my PPC-6700. So I bop over to file explorer, find the file, and look up the info I needed in a .txt file. I then highlighted the password and selected "Copy" from the menu. I then switched back to Internet Explorer, made sure my cursor was in the "Password" field, and then opened up the menu to locate the "Paste" option. It was disabled.
    This has been working fine for me.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    try highlighting the text, and copy. goto field , but instead of paste, do the keyboard icon that's onscreen, and press ctrl v

it works on mine. you sure you were IN the field?
    I'm not sure I understand how cutting and pasting from one program to another represents multi-tasking. In my experience, multi-tasking on a PPC is when you listen to streaming music, while using a BT GPS to navigate while participating in a phone call with a BT headset. In other words, a multi-tasker is something that can multi-task better than I can. Are you saying cut-n-paste exceeds your own multi-tasking capabilities Scott R?
    I discovered the problem. IE won't let me paste text into a password field. In HTML, this is an "input" tag with a type attribute of "password". In WM IE, text entered into these fields gets displayed as asterisks. Apparently, WM IE also prevents you from pasting into these types of fields. Meh.

And Kupe, the multitasking is in running IE, file explorer, and the Notes app simultaneously and being able to return to IE just as you left it. On the Treo/Palm OS, I'd have to leave Blazer, find and view the txt file, and then launch Blazer again, which would require a screen reload. I don't think it necessarily does another fetch from the web site, but you do have to wait a few seconds while Blazer redraws the page from cache. It's a simple example of how WM's multitasking can be useful for simple, regular tasks. But in this case it fell short of my expectations.
    this 6700 looks slick however I'm hooked on the Palm OS. How do you deal with that?
    There are actually several of us active Treo members here that have made the jump. It is not all that painful either. There is a little learning curve, just as there would be if someone jumped from WM to Palm. There are apps for just about anything that you are currently using on your Palm. There is also a lot of support in this forum and in others like PDAphoneHome to help you along the way.
    yep i have jumped ship. just waiting for delivery.
    has anyone gotten this thing as a regular consumer yet? meaning no business account, tax id?

also I was told I could trade my 600 in for 50 bucks..how would this work if I ordered the 6700 on the phone?
    It is just business accounts right now. Sprint seems to do this a lot. I think they use the limited quantity of business customers as beta testers for a new phone before they open it to the whole public. That is what they did with the PPC-660x at least. A month after it went public (and 3 months after it was offered to business customers) they had their first patch available.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    There is a thread at www.pdaphonehome.com that shows the 6700 available to everyone from an ebay seller for $350.00 It seems legit as many have received theirs already.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    It is probably a person with a business account buying them all and reselling them.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morphiend
    has anyone gotten this thing as a regular consumer yet? meaning no business account, tax id?

also I was told I could trade my 600 in for 50 bucks..how would this work if I ordered the 6700 on the phone?
    I ordered it yesterday. I pressed *2, told the automated voice "order Phone" and before I knew it I had it ordered. Not sure if I was lucky, But I will have my PPC-6700 By tomorrow.

PS. Yes I made sure I was ordering the PPC 6700 and not the 6600
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    After a day or two of playing with it.....let us know what you think.
    And Kupe, the multitasking is in running IE, file explorer, and the Notes app simultaneously and being able to return to IE just as you left it.
    Doh! You're right. I've gotten so used to doing business this way I had forgotten multiple open programs constitutes multi-tasking in and of itself. Thanks for pointing out my denseness.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    It is probably a person with a business account buying them all and reselling them.
    it seems he's a 3rd party vendor (also sold the 6600)
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.