Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819 LastLast
    It would be nice to have a dedicated forum like Treocentral devoted to the PPC 6700.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katahdin
    It would be nice to have a dedicated forum like Treocentral devoted to the PPC 6700.
    Come on over to my site, I already have the forum up and it's becoming active.
    www.shadowmite.com/forum
    Or checkout www.pdaphonehome.com
    Here is the direct link for the PDAphoneHome 6700 forum:

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/forum...s=&forumid=174
    And I'm still mulling over creating a dedicated forum, too.

sledgie, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. You seem to have a much higher tolerance for what I would consider bugs. How you can say them "forgetting" to put in the logic to display the shift mode is not a bug, well...

And as for the auto-orientation change when closing the slider, I just want to clarify the issue. If I have the slider closed and the device in landscape mode (e.g., when I'm playing a game, watching a video, or browsing the web without the keyboard open) and then open the keyboard to type something and then close the keyboard, I would expect the device to respect the fact that the last time I was in "closed mode" I was in landscape mode and not force me into portrait mode. But again, I see no point in belaboring this.

As for launch.com...I tried to open a music video and got a "Forbidden" error from Yahoo stating that I don't have permission to access [insert long URL I'm too lazy to type].
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Mine is ordered and on its way... no TID needed
    ScottR, for being someone who went threw all the trouble to get one, I hate to have to point out to you, the testing on the phone is NOT complete, they needed a bigger test group, and released to buisness customers only for that purpose. A consumer making demands was NOT supposed to receive it.

Please make bug reports at my forum, they will be looked at by people who can get them implemented, that's all I can say.
    The 'public' release is only about 1-month from now...what changes could Sprint possibly make in that short of a time period?
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    well the 6600 was delayed public release for a good time from when business customers got it first... and then within a month or so a "update" from sprint was available, correcting issues with the phone.. so i wouldn't exactly call it impossible. They need feedback and that's why this was pushed to business customers first
    this phone looks very cool and if its an improvement over thee 660 which a friend has and likes very much, I may look into. The thing I would miss the most moving to wm5 would be chatter. No mail program like it.

The 6700 is very tempting though.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    I switched from my T650, and the 6700 does everything I need it to do. The majority of the issues I've found with the phone are due to the fact that I'm used to the way I did things on the Treo, and not due to phone issues.

Battery life appears to be as good as my Treo. The ONLY thing I've missed so far is Chatter. Marc - are you out there?
    what about all the applications for palm? can we get them for the6700?
    Quote Originally Posted by lghitis
    what about all the applications for palm? can we get them for the6700?
    Sure, there are equivalent applications for most of the palm apps in ppc. I think ppc apps also tend to be cheaper and more functional than palm apps.

Here are some links that may help you,

list of software replacements for palm: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...?threadid=2980

a comprehensive guide from mobiletechreview's Tanker Bob: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/edit...m_to_PPC_1.htm

http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=813
    And what about the treo 700 on the news today?

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050924/palm_...treo.html?.v=4
    I think that if the Treo is on the same playing field with the same OS of many of todays other phones, then it is going to match the hardware side a lot more to look attractive to those who have never owned a Treo before. The form factor would be a huge plus, but some may not thinks it trumps more memory, faster processor, bigger screen, etc....

I would be very interested in seeing it's specs. If it stacked up with the power and the memory under the hood to the other WM5 phones on the market, then I would certainly look at it again and see if going back to a smaller screen would be worth it or not for me.
    Hobbes: I would think that those on the WM side who are used to a longer display and a concealed keyboard would not likely go back to the treo even with the new WM OS.

Its kind of the same argument of the 650 folks not wanting to go from 320 to 240.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I'm really thinking about taking the plunge but the only and most useful app that i will lose is chatter. if and/or when marc desides to make chatter for wm then i will jump ship. the new treo isn't really up to par as far as what it has to offer imo.. it's all based on how much more money they can get even after the purchase of the phone just so you can have the proper accesories.. this phone not having wifi is a dissapointment but it definently points back to the wifi cards that the 650 couldn't use not to mention that they didnt even include a paper bag to carry the phone in let alone a cradle to charge it in..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    i just think it's funny how palm said with the 650 they couldn't release drivers for a SD WIFI card and lookie here WM5 shows up on a treo and whaddyaknow a WIFI card. lol! adding more insult to injury lets take up the SD slot with a wifi card.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Hobbes: I would think that those on the WM side who are used to a longer display and a concealed keyboard would not likely go back to the treo even with the new WM OS.

Its kind of the same argument of the 650 folks not wanting to go from 320 to 240.
    I agree and is kind of one of the points I was making.....but if they decided to take advantage of this opportunity and offer a Treo with 512 mb internal memory, WiFi, latest version of BT, a blazing processor, EVDO, and a dual radio for data and voice....it would be a real temptation even with the limitations of certain apps with a smaller screen.

They set the standard for the market with the 600 and IMHO lost it with the 650. They are either going to do it again with the new WM version (which they have not given any indication that they have any plans to do this) or lose yet another huge opportunity to rule the roost in a tough market.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I would think that those on the WM side who are used to a longer display and a concealed keyboard would not likely go back to the treo even with the new WM OS.
    Count me as one of those. Primarily because of the screen, but with the rectangular (vice square) screen comes hidden keyboards, unless you want one a monster of a device (like Hobbes' future HTC Universal ).
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    i just think it's funny how palm said with the 650 they couldn't release drivers for a SD WIFI card and lookie here WM5 shows up on a treo and whaddyaknow a WIFI card. lol! adding more insult to injury lets take up the SD slot with a wifi card.
    I think this is an indication of one of the inherent shortfalls of PalmOS - driver development is complex and highly customized.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I agree and is kind of one of the points I was making.....but if they decided to take advantage of this opportunity and offer a Treo with 512 mb internal memory, WiFi, latest version of BT, a blazing processor, EVDO, and a dual radio for data and voice....it would be a real temptation even with the limitations of certain apps with a smaller screen.

They set the standard for the market with the 600 and IMHO lost it with the 650. They are either going to do it again with the new WM version (which they have not given any indication that they have any plans to do this) or lose yet another huge opportunity to rule the roost in a tough market.
    Hobbes, this is Palm we are talking about. The same people who released the 650 and didn't upgrade the amount of RAM in the device from the 600. They will do the minimal specs for the WM device as they did for the POS. From what I read you can expect only 64mb of ROM and RAM each. While the RAM is probably OK, the ROM is way too small. Out of the box, my 6700 (which has 128 mb of ROM) had only about 45mb available for my use. Forget WiFi, but it looks like it will be EVDO.

Spec wise, I don't think it will be up to par when compared to the 6700 and it will cost just as much (and don't forget, Palm won't give you a cradle or stero headphones or a case all of which are included in the box of the 6700).

I agree with you, they have the opportunity to set a stardard, but they wil squander it.
    Jeff