Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    uh no, but if i were to give a treo 650 review and because i didn't know how to operate the OS a lot of my complaints were unfounded, i'm sure there would be lots of complaints.
    I don't want to make this thread any uglier. Suffice it to say, I've actually got quite a bit of PPC experience. I owned (and still own, though I just tried to charge it up recently and the battery can't be revived) a Compaq iPaq 3630 Pocket PC. I also still own (and still use occasionally) my HP iPaq h4155 (Pocket PC 2003).

What I don't have personal experience with are WM2003SE devices.

So, again, you should probably do a bit of research (or even just ask) before you assume that I am a Pocket PC newbie.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Perhaps I should stop being so nice and ask the non-6700-owning (and, I believe, non-WM5-owning) to do more research (aka "read the manual") before accusing me of not knowing what I'm talking about.

A couple of things...
    - I just downloaded the latest version of Opera today. Opera's site makes no mention of it being a beta, but they also do not advertise it as being made for WM5 PPC Phone Edition devices. Is there an official version available that I'm unaware of?

- I just checked Netfront's site and they don't claim WM5 compatibility. A Google search turned up a link on their support forum where a user tried it out on a WM5 device and had a problem. They responded stating that it doesn't support WM5. So, I don't know that I even want to bother trying.

At this point, it's beginning to look like I'm a bit too ahead of the curve here. It looks like MS still needs to release some WM5 bug fixes and it looks like several 3rd party developers need to update their apps. Meh.
    well then GEEZ. they obviously aren't meant for WM5 then, ARE THEY? why are you complaining if you downloaded the wrong version, only to give us false information (aka your review) when the program isn't even made to run on that OS.

btw, you do realize this is the first phone with WM5 in the USA, right? WM5 is just STARTING to pop up to other devices now - dell just officially added the x51v lineup with WM5 - let developers get their job done.

However, on a side note, in past experiences most software that was made for wm2003 or some 2002 devices have run on wm2003se. that is why i recommended them, i had seen a few posts on pdaphonehome (i see you post the same nonsense there, stating your "reviews" only to get laughed at. this is not meant as a snub, i'm asking you to be serious and read up on the software and OS before making nonsensical comments) and referred you to the site so to better educate you. that's all. i just think that some of these software "bugs" and opinions that you have that your thumb is not in the most absolute best place when dialing is your opinion - and some problems you have may be better solved by reading about the different types of software out there. have you even watched that Microsoft Voice Command demo that you told us wasn't included in the 6700, but probably wouldn't work well with it either? That's almost as laughable as someone saying corded mice work better because it keeps you closer to the computer. Just read up on the software if you would, please, and then tell us about the limitations.
    well then GEEZ. they obviously aren't meant for WM5 then, ARE THEY? why are you complaining if you downloaded the wrong version, only to give us false information (aka your review) when the program isn't even made to run on that OS.
    Ha! Now that's funny. No, here's what happened...I provided a usability comparison of the browser that came with my WM5 PPC-6700 to the browser that came with the Treo 650 and you suggested that PIE wasn't all that spectacular and I needed to compare other browsers in order to be fair. So then I went on my hunt for other browsers and found that, guess what, there *AREN'T ANY* other browsers that support WM5.

btw, you do realize this is the first phone with WM5 in the USA, right? WM5 is just STARTING to pop up to other devices now - dell just officially added the x51v lineup with WM5 - let developers get their job done.
    I don't mind waiting for 3rd party developers. I shouldn't have to wait for Microsoft / Sprint to get significant bugs out of this OS / device before making it ready for sale to the public.

have you even watched that Microsoft Voice Command demo that you told us wasn't included in the 6700, but probably wouldn't work well with it either? That's almost as laughable as someone saying corded mice work better because it keeps you closer to the computer. Just read up on the software if you would, please, and then tell us about the limitations.
    I don't know what point you're trying to make here. I made mention *AT THE VERY BEGINNING* of my comparison of phone usage of this software and said that it sounded great but I hadn't used it yet. But, sorry, voice recognition software has its place and may be wonderful, but it doesn't replace the need for phone functionality of the type I described.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    welp, let's hope they are all just bugs then.
    This is just turning out to be a PALM vs PPC thread, and its lame. All I was trying todo (and I think sledgie as well) was trying to help someone who is transitioning from one OS to another. We both have experience with this (being LONG TIME palm users).

People like "lovedatreo" love to make wise cracks making it sound like I have alternate reasons for helping Scottr like wanting to convince people to get a PPC. Like I care! I really don't give a crap what people buy with thier own money. Sometimes I think people on the internet are crazy. People like you scare away people who like to help others.
    riiiiight ok then
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I don't mind waiting for 3rd party developers. I shouldn't have to wait for Microsoft / Sprint to get significant bugs out of this OS / device before making it ready for sale to the public.
    I totally agree with you, but let's be honest about something. PIE not working how you would like it to or what you're used to Blazer doing is not a bug. That's a difference in functionality, nothing more. It's a bug if it resets every other time you open up PIE. It's not a bug because it doesn't tab or scroll the way Blazer did.

Nothing frustrates me more than a developer releasing software that hasn't finished baking, but to call a difference in functionality or perception a bug is erroneous.

I'm sure you weren't just referring to PIE, but I wanted to clear that up. I've seen posts from other people referring to different ways of doing things between the OS'es a "bug in Microsoft's code" as well.
    I'm back!
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    i'd like to know if there is a way to make EVDO not work on the 6700 (aka force to 1X), because i'd like to see a comparison test between the 6700 and 6600 and 650 loading cnn.com into their default browsers and seeing how long it takes to load (completely). Supposedly with the new WM5 IE browser (now known as Internet Explorer Mobile instead of Pocket IE) there is suppose to be better coding and increased speed in displaying web pages, not to mention ability to download images and a % bar displaying page completion. If anyone can run this test (or would like to run it with EVDO) please tell us your experience loading cnn.com with no cache.

I remember this was one of the main reasons I changed to PPC after hearing it took around ~20-30 seconds to load cnn.com into PIE (wm2003se) whereas my blazer loaded cnn.com in under 90 seconds
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    This is just turning out to be a PALM vs PPC thread, and its lame. All I was trying todo (and I think sledgie as well) was trying to help someone who is transitioning from one OS to another. We both have experience with this (being LONG TIME palm users).

People like "lovedatreo" love to make wise cracks making it sound like I have alternate reasons for helping Scottr like wanting to convince people to get a PPC. Like I care! I really don't give a crap what people buy with thier own money. Sometimes I think people on the internet are crazy. People like you scare away people who like to help others.
    Yeah, this forum was more useful before it was discovered by Treo worshipers. Remember when they used to default this to just show the day's messages? Now there's more action here.

Scott did acknowledge that he wasn't really doing a review of the 6700, but rather just comparing it to the Treo. That's not going to be useful to many of us on this forum who have limited interest in comparisons to a device we've already left behind. These reports of "bugs" and referrals to manuals reminds me of an earlier thread on the "faulty" backlight of the SX66: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=74227
    Cheers.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I mentioned around page 5 or 6 that if i had found the link explaining better battery life I'd post it. well someone over at pdaphonehome posted it there and I thought i'd share it here. looks very useful, i just hope we hear from people's real life experiences with the 6700.

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/...14/438991.aspx
    does the 6700 provide push email? it states that it has imap support but nonthing about push..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    It will support push through either Windows Mobile 5 and the yet-to-be-released Exchange 2003SP2.

Alternatively, it would be interesting to see if Sprint adopts Nextel's mobile e-mail solution, which is also push - http://www.nextel.com/en/services/em...le_email.shtml - and platform agnostic. It is actually powered by http://www.visto.com.
    I have a few question about WM5, I guess its Ok to ask here.

There are a few programs I can't live without, does WM5 have equipvalent?
    1) Profiles. The ability to turn on and off ringtone at specific time and specific days of the week.

2) pTunes. I want to hit a hard button and go to the mp3 player and it will start playing automatically. It would be perfect if it can sync with iTunes. It also need a auto shut off after XX minutes function since I listen to it at bed.

3) TomTom. Does the TomeTom PPC files on the SD card has the same file structure as the TomTom Palm SD card? Actually I think my TomTom navigator 5 kit supports PPC but I am not sure.

My requiremnt is pretty low now that I think about it lol.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    i can answer #2. I use shoutcast before i go to bed (streaming classical) and the best for me so far that meets requirements of #2 is GSPlayer, which is free. The version I have isn't much in terms of looks (however, i'm UNSURE if there are skins available), but it streams great, gets the job done, and 2 options that it has is {}shut off after x minutes or {}power device off after x minutes. not sure if it can "sync" with itunes, elaborate more on your definition of syncing with itunes. i know what syncing with wmp10 means, but not itunes.

as for a hard button, you can re-define hard buttons to pull up specific apps.

as for #1, if you mean something similar to Treo Butler (or butler) i have yet to find an app that can shut the phone off or turn ringer off after certain hours of the day. however, to be honest, i haven't looked that much due to my new job requiring me to keep it on at all times There are some call filter programs but I have not yet had the chance to use them. I will try them this weekend and get back to you; they might have the option to turn ringer off or phone off at certain times of day
    I'd like to comment again about my approach in comparing the usability aspects of the Treo 600/650 and the PPC-6700...This is a Treo-focused web site. I have experience running web sites with community forums and an off-topic forum primarily serves the active community of the site who want to occasionally discuss things that aren't directly related to the focus of the site. So, I would assume that the majority of people following this thread are either currently Treo users or are people who are interested in the Treo, rather than people who used to have a Treo but have since moved on and are have no desire in Treo products.

For the PPC-6600 owners here who either want to upgrade to WM5 or are considering getting a 6700, I just wanted to add that I'm seeing confirmation by others that the there's no indicator for shift/alt mode. The good news (hopefully) is that WM2003SE keyboard-equipped devices (e.g., the 6600), *did* have such an indicator, so *hopefully* this is something that will be remedied via a bug fix. And hopefully soon.

FWIW, I just created this thread at pdaphonehome.com to itemize the bugs (and easily fixable usability quirks) that I (and others) are discovering. I would recommend that any Treo users who were highly frustrated with the early Treo 650 bugs and don't want to be part of a beta test phase again should definitely wait a while before considering the 6700. In addition to these bugs, many 3rd party apps have yet to be updated to provide good WM5 compatibility. I'm cautiously optimistic that within three months, the 6700 experience will be much more satisfying and I will be happy to keep my Treo brethren apprised if I end up keeping my PPC-6700.

For anyone who wants something with more capability than the Treo 650 and can live without the always-available thumbboard and more phone-like one-handed capability, the 6700 offers tremendous potential. If you don't mind being a beta tester and really want/need some of this power, jump on in. Multitasking, tabbed browsing (well, once those browsers get updated for WM5), a file system that is friendly with any and all filetypes, built-in Wi-Fi (which can be used at the same time as the cell phone), and Ev-DO are a few of the wonderful things this device offers.

My opinion is my own, yada yada yada. I think it would be great to hear from others who made the switch from a Treo 600/650 to the PPC-6700. Shadowmite, are you listening?
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I definitely agree with most of what you say, Scott. It appears more and more the reason they "soft" launched the 6700 to business users was they would have more direct response from them concerning bugs, or things that were not included in the ROM that should have been. I definitely was planning on waiting on the 6700 but won't have to come next week. That being said, I should also point out that it appears that the OS is so new and either so different from wm2003se that it probably would be worthwhile to wait it out a month or so unless you need to be the newest kid on the block with your hardware(aka beta tester).
    Those of us that stick around these treo forums - we do it not to spite people, but (at least in my situation) because we're concerned and also somewhat intrigued by the treo. When a new Palm Operating System comes out, i'm sure it will have it's complaints too; but we're mainly here to tell our breathren about possible options other than the treo. I definitely wouldn't consider myself a treo hater, i invested too much money in them to be one. But just so you know - the ones that still follow a lot of these threads do it out of sincere interest in wanting to inform others about possible options and to be informed ourselves. And every now and then, help out treo users when they have a question that we can possibly answer. I wouldn't consider us having "no interest in treo products". That just doesn't fit the bill. If something better comes out in a treo line, I am definitely open to possibilities
    I'm no shadowmite, but I have been trying unsuccessfully to move to a windows device for quite some time. I liked the power and added features of the 6600 but from a usability perspective the treo was too far superior. My biggest gripe with the 2003se devices were hyperlinking in emails and on web pages, the lack of I should say. And the 2 handed operation which was inherant. (Don't listen to anyone that says it isn't!)

For me, the the ppc-6700 closes the gap considerably on my two above concerns. Don't get me wrong, the treo still is a better integrated device, however wm5 is leaps and bounds better than 2003se. Hyperlinking is active in all email and IE pages, the joystick allows you to scroll through webpages without the stylus, and the soft buttons seem to be very well implemented and allow you to check email, go to favorites etc without a second hand.

No one can deny that this device offers more than a 650, and IMO this is the first windows mobile device that does not shoot itself in the foot with an archaic interface.

If you are looking to SMS while driving down the interstate than the treo is still #1, if you are looking for a phone that can do email and scheduling than the treo is still probably your best bet. However, if you are looking for a extremely full featured and powerful device that truly works as an extension of your desktop, and is remarkably more user friendly than its predecessors than this new 6700 might be the ticket. It is for me.

I am pretty excited about the potential.

BTW, the form factor is great too!

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    sledgie, I didn't mean to imply that you had any evil intentions, so please don't take it that way.

Regarding your comments about using the business customers as guinea pigs...that seems very dangerous to me. IMO, it would be better to soft release it to early adopter geeks who are more willing to find work-arounds and more skilled at providing feedback about bugs (and how to recreate them). I imagine that many of the business users who end up with these devices will be less tech-savvy and far less forgiving of bugs. A negative first impression by them could have a very bad and lasting effect on their overall impression of WM devices and how they spend their money in the future.

It's interesting to note that I heard yesterday that Palm's WM Treo (the 700w) may not come out until January. I believe that HP's 65xx release was delayed a bit as well, no? I wouldn't be surprised if they're waiting it out for some of these WM5 bugs to be fixed and for more 3rd party developers to update their apps.

Again, I'm cautiously optimistic that in three months most of the nastier WM5 bugs will be fixed.
    And for those of you that *do* make the switch to the PPC-6700, I even started up this Tips & Tricks thread at pdaphonehome.com. See, I'm not such a bad guy.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Robber: could you tell us how you scroll through webpages (screen at a time) using the 5 way? Scott has said that it goes through the links by links to get to the bottom.

Scott: while it may seem dangerous to you, it's a reality. That's how the 6601 soft launched, that's how they are softlaunching this device. Sprint REALLY jumped the gun to attract attention (i'm willing to bet verizon won't release this until late oct at least) and it has it's ups and downs.
    They did release it to beta testers a while ago (i think 2 months or so?) but of course they signed a NDA agreement and thus we didn't hear much about it - but it's the business users who have the most say in companies like Sprint, especially now that they combined with Nextel, another business oriented wireless provider, so hopefully good things will come about.
    One comment about your "bugs" thread over at pdaphonehome: it appears that 90% of your comments are more opinion related, and what i mean by this is they are your personal preferences. Windows has never, I repeat, has never worked exactly the way we want it to. If it did, we would call it Linux. However, what you have to grow accustomed to and reporting bugs are two different things. For instance, screen orientation. In a 6600, in order to switch a screen, i can do it manual by going through 5-6 menu items, or i can make a hard key (which i have) to switch it. I press the hard key, it goes into landscape. I press it again, it goes back to portrait.
    The 6700 on the other hand, should not work this way. I know one of your complaints is the screen should remain at the last known view when you close the keyboard. But then you have someone complaining that when they close the keyboard, it doesn't automatically switch to portrait. So it's not exactly a bug, but more of your preference.
    With time, and this i guarantee, you will see posts of people having registry hacks/changes, much like you do in this forum, about how to change things such as screen redraw memory, having the keyboard lit last longer, etc. It's just going to take time, but I wouldn't exactly call all of those "bugs", more like opinions about how you would like WM5 to behave for you. If it was as customizable as you want it to be, it would be FAR and BEYOND a great OS. Even thinking more about it, the caps/red button or fn key (i think the red acts as a fn key) indicator not popping up - while this seems like a bug it seems more like they completely forgot - or else - and i hope this is true, it's something that can be switched ON from 0 to 1 in the registry. Or else they decided to do without it. I'm anxiously waiting to get mine so i can observe the possibilities.
    I would like to hear about talk time and everyday use. I'm still guessing that talk time is going to be around 3.5 hours, or else 2.5 hours of talk time and 1 hour of streaming EVDO, wifi combinations, etc. A good test would be to try to download a very large file, or watch tv or video and let it stream via wifi and see how long it takes to get it down to about 5%.
    one last request: can you type www.launch.com in and see if you can view any video? i'm wondering now if it detects the browser as 5 or 4.01