Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    you do NOT have to get a new vison plan for EVDO. The way it works is if your current phone is EVDO compatible, your phone will just pick it up if you have any kind of vision enabled. If you bought the phone & did n ot have a prior vision plan that is a different story. I already have vision for $10 so if I get this phone, no change in plan is needed...
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Your eyes can lie, measurements don't. The 6700 is virtually identical in size to the 650. There are links here to pictures comparing the 6700 and 650 side-by-side. The 6700 is slightly thicker and slightly shorter. Unless you consider your Treo to be a brick, I don't think you can make that assumption for the 6700.
    Didn't bother to look at the measurement. Someone did mention that the guy's head in the pic is smaller that average and I have to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Agree !!
    Someone just doesn't want to accept reality

I don't. At first glance, this thing shaped like the o2 xda, which to me was very brick like. I guess that stuck in my head. Thanks for the rolleyes. That worked.
    If you think it is "brick" like, you may need to go and check out what an actual brick looks like. Try the outside of your house
    S/he is confusing the HTC universal with the HTC Apache/wizard.

Surur
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    If you think it is "brick" like, you may need to go and check out what an actual brick looks like. Try the outside of your house
    I did

http://brick.dp.ua/pictures/round_brick.jpg
    I got mine today, so I can now add to the list with my very brief real-world experiences.

Good
    - Looks like D-Pad/keyboard on-screen navigation is implemented better than I expected. I can do most things I need to do without touching the screen. But see below.

Bad
    - On-screen navigation isn't implemented as well as with the Treo 600/650. By that I mean that it isn't as obvious how to move from here to there. For example...If I'm using PIE and I've got the focus on the URL field I can't use the joystick to move the focus somewhere else. I've got to use the Tab key on the keyboard first. Then I've got the focus on a link on the web page and can now use the joystick to "tab" around and change focus.

- GUI for phone app is not optimized well for a screen this small. The number buttons are too small. This is the same GUI they use for the 6600 which has a significantly larger screen. A screen this small needs a phone app (and, I'd argue, any portrait-oriented app) with fewer, larger thumb-friendly on-screen buttons.

- It needs more dedicated application buttons. In particular, I think it would benefit from a dedicated "Menu" button. Instead, most apps end up wasting one of their precious "soft" buttons for pulling up the application menu.

- Another trait missing that is found on the Palm OS is what mode the "Shift" is in. Microsoft thinks they know better than us and likes to auto-capitalize the first letter of fields. Fine. But at least let me know that you've auto-shifted so that I know to manually un-shift if I need to start a word with a lowercase letter.

* In short, usability is classic "Pocket PC" (i.e., poor) as compared to the Palm OS.

Ugly
    - What an ugly beast this thing is. My Treo 650 is a thing of beauty in comparison. Cheap silver plastic is reminiscent of my old Treo 300, though I think my Treo 300 seemed better.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    And regarding the comments about the size being equivalent to a Treo 650...I've got them both in front of me. Specs are deceiving. Even those photos are deceiving. This device definitely feels "brick-like" compared to the Treo 650 because it has hardly any curves. So if it's X" thick, it's X" thick in every spot, whereas the Treo 650 is X" thick at it's thickest part and noticeably thinner near the edges. This makes a noticeable difference when holding it. The Treo 650 feels far more comfortable in the hand.

And, no, usability isn't anywhere near as good as the Treo.

Bottom line: If you're lusting after the added features (Wi-Fi, EV-DO, larger thumbboard, multitasking, etc.) and can live with a noticeably worse usability, then jump on in. I'm still topping off my charge and will be activating it shortly. I guess I have 14 days to decide to return it, right? I'll probably keep it. If all goes well, I'm hoping to build up my .NET programming skills and make some new apps that will be optimized for it and offer great usability.
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    Didn't bother to look at the measurement.
    Obviously.
    I'm back!
    One more bad thing that I just remembered...

- No hard switch to quickly/easily change from Ringer to Vibrate mode.
    have you tried the three way slider on the left(?) side i believe... one setting is normal, one is custom, and one is silent... at least that's what someone showing me one said... similar to the g1000 and others
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I got mine today, so I can now add to the list with my very brief real-world experiences.

Good
    - Looks like D-Pad/keyboard on-screen navigation is implemented better than I expected. I can do most things I need to do without touching the screen. But see below.

Bad
    - On-screen navigation isn't implemented as well as with the Treo 600/650. By that I mean that it isn't as obvious how to move from here to there. For example...If I'm using PIE and I've got the focus on the URL field I can't use the joystick to move the focus somewhere else. I've got to use the Tab key on the keyboard first. Then I've got the focus on a link on the web page and can now use the joystick to "tab" around and change focus.

- GUI for phone app is not optimized well for a screen this small. The number buttons are too small. This is the same GUI they use for the 6600 which has a significantly larger screen. A screen this small needs a phone app (and, I'd argue, any portrait-oriented app) with fewer, larger thumb-friendly on-screen buttons.

- It needs more dedicated application buttons. In particular, I think it would benefit from a dedicated "Menu" button. Instead, most apps end up wasting one of their precious "soft" buttons for pulling up the application menu.

- Another trait missing that is found on the Palm OS is what mode the "Shift" is in. Microsoft thinks they know better than us and likes to auto-capitalize the first letter of fields. Fine. But at least let me know that you've auto-shifted so that I know to manually un-shift if I need to start a word with a lowercase letter.

* In short, usability is classic "Pocket PC" (i.e., poor) as compared to the Palm OS.

Ugly
    - What an ugly beast this thing is. My Treo 650 is a thing of beauty in comparison. Cheap silver plastic is reminiscent of my old Treo 300, though I think my Treo 300 seemed better.

Wow you killed all my enthusiasm
    My Treo looks better after your description.
    I need to see one myself to form my own opinion for my uses .
    Last edited by Mtreosexual; 09/21/2005 at 03:49 PM.
    so this phone isn't perfect like all the ppc diehards said???????? what a shocker.

again, not trying to start a riot but lets keep in mind the kind of device complexity we are talking about. for many the treo has become an extension of their hand. the competition is VERY stiff.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovedatreo
    so this phone isn't perfect like all the ppc diehards said???????? what a shocker.

again, not trying to start a riot but lets keep in mind the kind of device complexity we are talking about. for many the treo has become an extension of their hand. the competition is VERY stiff.

It's the screensize buddy !!!
    but, i honestly do hope this isn't the end. i think if some of the one handed stuff gets and we get a treo-like form with wifi and evdo windows MIGHT be a very viable option. there are still the problems with the way it handles multitasking though. the way cobalt is SUPPOSED to handle it seems MUCH more efficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    It's the screensize buddy !!!
    lol
    ahh brother. I guess maybe my excitement died down too. I hope Palm releases the TRreo 700 with a whole new design & shocks everyone! Maybe that is why there is no rumors sprouting yet...
    to be honest though, i was trying to find ways to get up the money.... but then my treo called with the voice of reason telling me how much of a waste it would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    ugh... You have to understand that these devices are soon to be replacing laptops...
    Sledgie, Sledgie... So now we have potential laptop killers too? I'm excited about the 6700, but I'm connecting through my Sony T350 from a coffee shop multi-tasking MS Word, Vonage SoftPhone, a DVD, and catching up with my mail and my favorite TC forum on IE, at a free wi-fi coffee shop. Even the best handhelds won't "replace" notebooks --any more than sportbikes replaced cruisers.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    I played with one this afternoon for a few minutes and liked my 650 better. Definitely brick like and certainly looks and feels thicker. Form factor definitely lacking if that's important to you. The little five way joystick is really really small and navigating in some places like Scott R mentioned were challenging like in Pocket IE.

Camera looked real nice.

bigger keyboard wasn't too bad although but I had a hard time figuring out how best to hold it in order to type quickly (it was also connected to the AC charger at the time...the flatter keys need some getting used to when you're used to the treo keypad.

Have some pics will post tomorrow (taken with my 650 so they're not great) with a couple side by sides with another 650
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    I played with one this afternoon for a few minutes and liked my 650 better. Definitely brick like and certainly looks and feels thicker. Form factor definitely lacking if that's important to you. The little five way joystick is really really small and navigating in some places like Scott R mentioned were challenging like in Pocket IE.

Camera looked real nice.

bigger keyboard wasn't too bad although but I had a hard time figuring out how best to hold it in order to type quickly (it was also connected to the AC charger at the time...the flatter keys need some getting used to when you're used to the treo keypad.

Have some pics will post tomorrow (taken with my 650 so they're not great) with a couple side by sides with another 650

Thanks Scottymomo.
    Do you think this one is going to go to Treokiller cemetery?
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast