Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    check this out.
    ITunePhone vs Treo650
    the Treo 650 marketing team have missed a big opportunity to capture Generation X and even Gen Y. I don't understand why the focus for marketing the treo is always the Business user. As a 26 year old, this is the dream gadget for me, yet in still I feel like just one of the few Gen-X that has the device. I Think it is actually sad that the Treo team can not come up with an additional marketing campaign that focuses on the younger generation. The devices has everything a marketing team can dream of. I mean, even without the mp3 player, there is text messaging( with a full keyboard), Your custom/unlimited ringtones, games, mobi tv, etc. I mean, which device in this galaxy can you say this

"500 songs in your pocket. Live TV. Your picture library, Check your email. Read an E-book.Listen to Podcasts. Stream a shoutcast. All in the Palm of your hands"

And now you have the iTunes Phone, which am sure may out sell the treo when its all said and done.

So the question is this, if some young gen x/y is willing to pay $250 for the iTunes Phone, why wont they be willing to pay $299 for the Treo which does a million and one things more. They would if the treo marketing team would make it appealing to them.
    Last edited by tj8212; 09/13/2005 at 06:29 PM.
    I couldn't agree with you more. The Treo is a closely guarded, well-kept secret. I thought Palm supposedly hired SonyEricsson's marketing head when the 650 was released.

What an unbelievably tragic joke. Of course they'll probably tell you, "It's up to the carriers."

No one I have introduced to the Treo has given it up yet.
    I absolutely agree. I'm in my early 30's, but I think this device has obvious marketability to so, so, so many groups and the Palm marketing is always pathetic from so many aspects.

From a business perspective, there's no reason that the Treo shouldn't be "taking out" the blackberry. Many would say that the Blackberry is just "simple"...but so is Goodlink and more useful. You could easily deploy the treo in a "simple" manner and slowly add functionality if you wanted to as users became more familiar.

For the younger generation, all of the reasons stated in in the earlier post make it obvously perfect for a younger gen. I would even add Verichat and MMPlayer to that mix.

It's just so obvious, I just don't get it. Where are their product marketing/sales force?
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    I couldn't agree with you more. The Treo is a closely guarded, well-kept secret. I thought Palm supposedly hired SonyEricsson's marketing head when the 650 was released....
    That makes sense.
    Is SE still selling phones.
    iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    Its definately an interesting comparison-younger users are generally pretty technically proficient and inclined,and its amazing that more of them aren't buying Treos.But I think the problem here is one of perception-they want a cool ,hip device,and that may not necessarily be the same device that would appeal to them,especially in light of a severe lack of advertising which showcases the features that would appeal to them.

Over the weekend I was on a commuter train and two young kids,maybe at most 20 came on the train.I was replying to some email,one of them noticed my Treo and called it a Blackberry (first cringe) the second one almost confused it with a sidekick (double cringe).Then they started arguing about how the Treo was too much phone for one of them especially considering that the one eyeing the device didn't even have a cell phone (a strange occurence in this day and age it seems)-they saw the phone as a device for someone who worked on Wall Street ("Why do you want a phone like that,you don't work on Wall Street?").I was very tired that morning and on my other phone on a conference call,so no time to explain the differences-then when I had time the kids were gone !

It is still seen primarily as a device for business users by many kids-so many will go get a sidekick or a iTunes phone over a Treo,even though price wise with a contract,you really aren't seeing a huge difference in initial cost when you compare to the actual differences in possible uses.Yet,I have also seen lots of young people with Blackberries (usually the 7100 series)-so I'm often at a loss to try to figure out what is motivating them.Marketing to young people generally works well if done right,but the Blackberries and iTunes phones and Sidekicks are appealing to the young demographic more because of the advertising and the celebs they've seen using some of the devices.

Just yesterday alone,I've seen at least two versions of the iTunes phone TV ad,whereas I can only remember seeing one for the Treo (the one with the business man with the pregnant wife ).

Yet,anyone I have spoken to or convinced to get a Treo hasn't given them up.I even remember an argument I had with a guy who was convinced that his gf's Treo didn't have bluetooth-somehow someone had convinced him that the Sprint Treo 650 had no BT capabilities (of course I fixed that the very next time I saw him) and he promptly went out and bought his GF a BT headset-and she is the envy of many of the residents,who love their Treo 600's but can't quite afford to upgrade just yet.He then went out and tried to get a BT headset with for his phone ,for which he had to get an adapter -he had so much trouble,that when I saw him this morning it was with a brand new Treo 650-he decided to get one for himself !
  6.    #6  
    I just hope someone in palm reads this and passes it on to the marketing folks,because they are missing out big time.
    They should be-I sent my niece a msg from a street fair I was at yesterday with my father (her grandfather) she was amazed that I was able to do that with my business phone (sent her a video of my father,who is older enjoying Starbucks and chatting on his cell phone ! ).Palm has seriously overlooked a very potent demographic,not only are kids today generally more technically inclined,they generally have more money to spend,whether money of their own,or their parents.

One of my nieces has a birthday coming up,and she was lusting after the iTunes phone,amongst other phones,she has added the Treo to her list.
    I totally agree... palm is too focused on corp world... even Rim introduced the 7100 series to attract a younger market...

but I am definately starting to see a lot more treos... I credit that to us treo users more so than palms marketing
    HTC Touch Pro
    I'm 25 and I love my treo. I get a lot of people referring to it as a BB and when I tell them that it's not, they respond with, "oh it's like a side kick!" I just have to roll my eyes. A lot of the people I work with are around the same age and have never even heard of the Treo and the ones that have think it's strictly for business users. When i show them all the stuff that's on it, they are in complete awe.

I've played around with a sidekick and it felt very toyish and bulky. I didn't see the appeal to it... at least for anyone that is over the age of 18. I felt like I was talking on a Gameboy advance... very awkward. One of my friends has a sidekick and admires my Treo, but because his phone is a "sidekick" he will not trade. The madness!

I only got two others that are my age convert and they are happy with it. They love being able to text, IM, retrieve their email, watching movies and having an MP3 player all in one device.
    i have been using treos since the 600 came out for business and i've mixed lots of personal stuff in so much that i can't imagine not having it... i thought i was the only young person (20) to have a treo (because my company bought them for us) and while i think if i didn't get it for free, i might not have gotten it... i'm glad i did. the other day i was astonished when i saw a group of high school kids at a restaurant... one had a regular phone, 2 had sidekicks and one had a treo 600. they all were trying to hog it because of the touchscreen and they were playing music videos or something like that... so i'm guessing the 600 with its lower price is starting to attract the non-business users, but the 650 is probably still for the elite. personally i like that not everyone has a treo cause it's something that i can show off, especially when people are thinking of getting a blackberry.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Kenundrum,
    I agree with you. I love showing it off to people and seeing their faces when they see all it can do. Since I have almost everything in this phone, I wouldn't trade it for the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    No one I have introduced to the Treo has given it up yet.
    Just to follow up on this, of the roughly dozen converts I've made, not one would have picked up a Treo were it not for seeing me use it every day.
  13.    #13  
    Like you all , showing people the cool stuff this phone does gets them to convert. I remember showing off to my close friend what the treo can do whille sitting in the stands of the F1 Grand Prix in Indy this past April see pic . And what do you know, he bought the Treo 2 weeks ago. So if we, by just telling friends can get them to purchase, How much more success will a true marketing campaign by Palm have? If they do it right, the results could be amazing.
    Last edited by tj8212; 09/13/2005 at 06:24 PM.
    I think the challenge is that the Treo is targeted at both the 'prosumer' market (advanced device users, mostly sold in retail) AND the enterprise market, where the target buyer is the IT manager in any given corporation. It's that split personality slash split target audience that is a challenge for Palm. Who is the audience? What do they care about? What hot buttons are there for all potential buyers, and how do you bring and highlight those messages that matter to each buyer?

That is the big challenge.
    I just got the Treo and I WISH the Treo had been marketed more as a multimedia device that it is. I had to hunt down information on mp3's (how many it could hold, mp3 players to download ect). It was actually a race between some of the newer phones that are geared to music playing and the Treo. I made the right choice but i don't plan on useing it as the buisness device it is maybe some word docs but mostly just for TV Movies Music and Internet. Ahhhhh my sweet Treo. Randomness aside I think if marketing got a whiff they would realize there are plenty of youngins (like me) that are itchin to spend 500 bucks on a phone. Especially one this cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    I think the challenge is that the Treo is targeted at both the 'prosumer' market (advanced device users, mostly sold in retail) AND the enterprise market, where the target buyer is the IT manager in any given corporation. It's that split personality slash split target audience that is a challenge for Palm. Who is the audience? What do they care about? What hot buttons are there for all potential buyers, and how do you bring and highlight those messages that matter to each buyer?

That is the big challenge.
    The wrong answer is to target no one at all.
    Not to get off topic, but RIMM and (not so much) Apple's marketing departments are running away with Palm's revenue.

They ran ads last December showing some of the usefulness of the Treo. Those would be a good start until they restore some competence to the marketing department.
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212
    And now you have the iTunes Phone, which am sure may out sell the treo when its all said and done.

So the question is this, if some young gen x/y is willing to pay $250 for the iTunes Phone, why wont they be willing to pay $299 for the Treo which does a million and one things more. They would if the treo marketing team would make it appealing to them.
    The itune phone is over hyped. Too bad for those who gets suckered. Check out this review below on the itune phone.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1857265,00.asp
    The Treo is currently marketed to business users because palm wants more businesses to adopt their platform. What business will deploy an iTunes phone?
    That said Palm will likely create several models aimed at different audiences, once they stabalize the format. Consumers don't want to deal with some of the Sh*t many of us early adopters have had to.
    Finally, it's my understanding that the iTunes phone does not have Edge. So wait for the complaints to begin when users begin wanting to download into their phone, but end up waiting forever, or losing their connections.

In my book, even with it's problems, my Treo 650 is the best device I own. I especially appreciate this after having spent 3 weeks in a hospital, after my son had an accident away at summer camp in another state. I was able to remain in touch with the office and with family members 24/7 at a higher speed than the hospital dial-up. PDAnet was very useful too.
    Now I want EVDO or whatever the highest speed I can get - on my next Treo.
    The iTune phone with Motorola is the worst Apple related product since iPhoto 1.0.

And that's saying something.
    The answer is iTunes. The reason the ROKR is so appealing is because it syncs with iTunes and plays AAC files, something that the Treo 650 doesn't do (out of the box).

I love my Treo, and I'd never consider a ROKR (because it's Motorola), but the fact that I cannot play my AAC files or sync directly with iTunes is a huge downfall -- one that may bring me to sell the thing soon.

And yes, I know about AeroPlayer (the "other" MP3 player) and MissingSync. Purchasing both products isn't desirable for me, since they total nearly $100USD.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast