1.    #1  
    And so far, so good. I was a little disturbed at first, as the hardcopy manual was entirely in chinese, but the disk had an english version. Managed to get the instructions, pop the SIM card in and Voila! I made a call. Also managed to set the time and date. The stylus is tiny and retractable, but I like it.

I got the white one, as the gray was just too boring, and the orange was, well, hideous. I like the size and shape, basically the same size as your average flip phone (much smaller than the Treo 270 that I am upgrading from).

I have to let it charge and get back to work now, but I am hoping to give more details over the next few days as I get everything set up. Anyway, so far, so good.
    Great - keep the info coming!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demitria
    And so far, so good. I was a little disturbed at first, as the hardcopy manual was entirely in chinese, but the disk had an english version. Managed to get the instructions, pop the SIM card in and Voila! I made a call. Also managed to set the time and date. The stylus is tiny and retractable, but I like it.

I got the white one, as the gray was just too boring, and the orange was, well, hideous. I like the size and shape, basically the same size as your average flip phone (much smaller than the Treo 270 that I am upgrading from).

I have to let it charge and get back to work now, but I am hoping to give more details over the next few days as I get everything set up. Anyway, so far, so good.
    WOW! Congrats! I'm eager to read you review and impressions of the device! Also, some comparison pics would be awesome!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  4.    #4  
    Hmm... Failure to hotsync with MS Outlook, why is this not a surprise. It says something in the manual about Intelisync not working with MS Outlook that is run over a network, which mine is. I'll have to read more about this and see what I can do. I have been reduced to reading the instructions.

On a happier note, I did get some e-mail set up and have received e-mail from my comcast account. I need to sign up for the mobile internet, which was not possible online as T-Mobile did not recognize my phone and would not give me the option to add internet access. I'll go over the the store at lunch and see what they can do.

Also, the interface has been easy to use, I changed the ring tones and set up a few customizations with relative ease and no manual. The sync stuff seems to be where I am having trouble.

I'm flying to San Francisco for business tonight, so I will be able to test my phone in another city, although I can't imagine that it would have problems, I'm in Seattle now.

Oh, and the other annoyance was the charger cable has a European (or Asian?) plug in, so I will have to get an adaptor. I'll keep you posted and try and take some pics...
  5.    #5  
    Just a quick update. I do love the phone. I have discovered the small icons that appear when you go to a contact in the address book. You can assign a picture or video to play when the person calls (and it's really easy to do) and assign a special ring tone. Not sure if these features are available on other Palm OS phones.

The camera had a night vision setting, but I have to download the pics and see how they compared. Unfortunately work has been consuming my time so I haven't gotten much further, but hey, I have to pay for my new toys...
    That's awsome, thanks for the information. Can you compare it to a Treo 650 at all (idk if you have one or not,)?

Thanks, Tim
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  7.    #7  
    Well, I finally got internet access. The T-mobile people said it could take 5 minutes or 48 hours. Mine took 48 hours, but it was the first time they had heard of the phone. The important part it, the phone works on the T-mobile network for phone and internet service.

I also took some pictures of the phone and box. I don't have a Treo 600, so I couldn't include that in the photo, but I have seen photo's of the M98 against the 600 somewhere on the internet. I am having trouble uploading them? I clicked on 'manage attachements' and 'upload' but got an error message. Suggestions?
    Awesome news, congrats. I would love to see thise pics. Not sure about the error. Have you put any 3rd party apps on yet? Man its hard to resist jumping ship and going GSM,,,,, I have been waiting for a clamshell, palm phone with external storage, OS 5 and 5way for 2 years now. How's the screen look? Are 320x320 apps going to be a problem?
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 09/08/2005 at 06:00 PM.
  9.    #9  
    No third party apps yet. I initially had trouble with the hotsync, but that was because I had MS Outlook running across a network, so it didn't recognize it. Anyway, our network admin, changed my setup so I have a local copy and now the hotsync works fine. It also worked fine on my home computer. I'm running Windows XP professional on both.

I have the pics at home, so I will send them to you tonight.
    I'm just really curious if the 176x220 pixel screen will be a problem for your apps.

Does that equate to high resolution?
  11.    #11  
    Not sure. Specifically what apps are you thinking of? At this point the only 3rd party app I'm planning to install is Solitaire (the Classic version). The phone came with everything I needed, plus...

Basic palm apps (calendar, address book, note pad, etc.)
    Bejeweled
    Book Worm
    GTS Racing
    Megabowl
    Mobile Mail
    Quickpoint
    Quicksheet
    Quickword
    Zap!2016
    An English/Chinese dictionary (which I don't think I loaded the capabilities for chinese characters so it doesn't work)
    WAP Browser

I think the palm people deleted your e-mail address before I could send you the photo's. Not sure what to do? I guessed at your e-mail address based on your posting name. Hopefully you will get the e-mail I sent.

I went looking for an extra sync/power cable today but didn't find one in the stores or on line. I e-mailed Group Sense and asked where to buy accessories. They had some stuff on the Doml website, but not extra cables.
    Hey Demitria, how come no pics yet of the new toy?! I'm dying to see some comparison pics!!!

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  13.    #13  
    OK, hopefully this worked, I posted some pictures to webshots as suggested. I have also taken some photo's with the phone that I hope to post tomorrow.

http://community.webshots.com/album/451033696xPpaXA
    Seattle Area Realtor - www.atruehome.com
    www.Ragnaroc.org
    Hey Demitria, thanks for the pics! That actually looks pretty nice.

Nice looking phone! I had never heard of it. So it is a Palm phone? Cool! Where do you find them?? Thanks.
  16.    #16  
    I got it on doml.com, I think it shipped from Hong Kong. It's running the Palm OS operating system.
    Seattle Area Realtor - www.atruehome.com
    www.Ragnaroc.org