Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Looks like apple is throwing their hat into to ring (no pun intended). Now i'll be the first to say I feel Palm has got the os to beat for smart phones, but it should be interesting to see how apple executes this. You have to register but try this site

Source: NY Post

August 25, 2005 -- ITunes, Apple's dominating music download business, will soon be available on cell phones, now that government regulators have approved a new iTunes-capable phone.
    Apple and Motorola, the phone's maker, had tried to keep the product a secret, hoping for a blockbuster launch just as students head back to school in the coming weeks.

News of the phone leaked out earlier this week when the Federal Communications Commission posted pictures and the manual for Motorola's iTunes-equipped E790 phone on a government Web site, indicating it had approved the phone for use on U.S. mobile networks.

"You can use iTunes to purchase and download music for your phone, listen to CDs and digital music, and create playlists of your favorite songs on your phone," according to the manual.

-snip-
    Hmmm... it's supposed to use mini-SD for up to 1 GB of storage. Thus no internal mini-HD or flash storage. How is this any better than the Treo with 1-2GB SD card? The only advantage is obviously integration with iTunes store, but you can remove the Fairplay DRM using Hymn project anyway for use on the Treo, plus there is already 3rd pary support for WMA Janus DRM via Ptunes and of course Real. Thus the Treo is already more open in this regard...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Hmmm... it's supposed to use mini-SD for up to 1 GB of storage. Thus no internal mini-HD or flash storage. How is this any better than the Treo with 1-2GB SD card? The only advantage is obviously integration with iTunes store, but you can remove the Fairplay DRM using Hymn project anyway for use on the Treo, plus there is already 3rd pary support for WMA Janus DRM via Ptunes and of course Real. Thus the Treo is already more open in this regard...
    At this point I don't think it is better than the Treo, I just want to see how the iPhone is intergrated. You know the masses will probably flock to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Now i'll be the first to say I feel Palm has got the os to beat for smart phones, but it should be interesting to see how apple executes this.
    Apple already did execute this - they licensed iTunes technology to Motorola. You can read more about it here.
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Apple already did execute this - they licensed iTunes technology to Motorola. You can read more about it here.
    What I meant was how all the pieces fit together and work, (i.e. switching between apps, contact managemnet, etc.).
    am really not that impressed. I thought it would be something more spectacular.
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212
    am really not that impressed. I thought it would be something more spectacular.
    Kinda like a 10 gb hard drive? Me too.
    I've never been crazy about the UI on Motorola phones. I'd love to see Sony Ericsson license iTunes, but I doubt it would ever happen.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JHromadka
    I've never been crazy about the UI on Motorola phones. I'd love to see Sony Ericsson license iTunes, but I doubt it would ever happen.
    That's what I was saying. Apple being a stickler for ease of use it will be interesting to see what operating system they use. You would think Apple would come up with one of their own OS(s) to do battle with MS on the smartphone front.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    You would think Apple would come up with one of their own OS(s) to do battle with MS on the smartphone front.
    Not really. They just want to increase the iTunes customer base at someone else's R&D expense.
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Not really. They just want to increase the iTunes customer base at someone else's R&D expense.
    We will see.
    Apple isnt developing the OS for this phone they simply licensed iTunes and the DRM to Moto. Honestly, as a huge Apple fan, this isnt that exciting. All you get is the ability to take your DRMed files with you on something other than an iPod and you get the ability to purchase songs while on the go. Has anyone really been dying for these features? My 650 is still going to be a better phone and my iPod is still going to be a better music player......
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    It doesn't look like any Apple product. meh.
    Looks more like a stepping stone TO the treo...not an alternative to it (i.e. people that don't have a pda/phone may get this first and then later get a treo).
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    It doesn't look like any Apple product. meh.
    I agree. It looks like a Moto that "oh by the way, it can download iTunes" phone to me.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    Looks more like a stepping stone TO the treo...not an alternative to it (i.e. people that don't have a pda/phone may get this first and then later get a treo).
    Why would this be phone be a gateway to smartphones?
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Apple is big on the shock factor....ie new cosmetic designs, sometimes higher than expect specs, ect....

I would have expected some sort of shock value, like an 40 GB hd or 1 gig of internal memory, or at least a really cool looking phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Apple is big on the shock factor....ie new cosmetic designs, sometimes higher than expect specs, ect....

I would have expected some sort of shock value, like an 40 GB hd or 1 gig of internal memory, or at least a really cool looking phone.
    It's not an Apple product! It's a moto phone with iTunes. That's it. Why is that so hard for people to understand?
    Quote Originally Posted by torifile
    It's not an Apple product! It's a moto phone with iTunes. That's it. Why is that so hard for people to understand?
    exactly.

for one more try...
    this is not an apple product!
    iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    Quote Originally Posted by torifile
    Apple shouldn't lease out its hottest subbrand name on a 2 year old phone, that's the point. It's a freaking E398.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast