Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 152
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by torifile
    It's not an Apple product! It's a moto phone with iTunes. That's it. Why is that so hard for people to understand?
    Tori, I realize that. Why is it hard to understand that since Apple is attaching their name to the phone, that they just might have wanted to have a little say in some of the shock factors (XX gig hd, cosmetic design, VGA screen, ect...) that they might have wanted to see in a phone with their name attached to it? It is...well...just the Apple thing to do.
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    How much design does Apple have to do before you'd consider it an Apple product? Enough to get the badge on the front?
    If it's called an iPhone by Apple, then I would expect more than iTunes software added to the standard Moto phone software. I don't know many folks who refer to their palm-based rPhones by Real just because Real provides some MP3 software.

    Apple has a knack for turning mundane items into gold with solid function and innovative looks. I'm sure they could make a good phone too, and probably on the first try. Sadly, the Moto ROKR series ain't that phone.
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    I wouldn't say you were wrong, you probably just didn't realize that Mac OS X started out on Intel hardware. I don't know if you remember December 23, 1996 but this is the year that Apple bought a company called NeXT. Next was a computer system than ran on Intel hardware. They had an OS that Apple wanted to port to the PowerPC processor.
    NeXT Step and OS X are very different OSs. Apple wanted Steve back, and Steve wanted Apple to use NeXT, it was a package deal. As I remember Apple was far more interested in BeOS than NeXT, but when you want Steve you do what Steve says. Probably ended up being the better decision anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    He also said that there is no reason to put a color screen on an iPod. Things change over time. You will find he will be doing other things that he has said no to in the past.
    Thats true, but that comment was a passing one, his statements about PDAs have been made ever since he killed Scully's Newton project.

    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    With Spotlight for finding that last bit of pie late at night?
    I would kill for that kind of functionality. It could also tell you when the milk is going to go bad

    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    If it's called an iPhone by Apple, then I would expect more than iTunes software added to the standard Moto phone software.
    But it isnt called the iPhone and it isnt made by Apple.

    I don't know many folks who refer to their palm-based rPhones by Real just because Real provides some MP3 software.
    Thats because Real doesnt make the phone, just in the same way that Apple isnt making these.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    I wouldn't say you were wrong, you probably just didn't realize that Mac OS X started out on Intel hardware. I don't know if you remember December 23, 1996 but this is the year that Apple bought a company called NeXT. Next was a computer system than ran on Intel hardware. They had an OS that Apple wanted to port to the PowerPC processor.
    NeXT Step and OS X are very different OSs. Apple wanted Steve back, and Steve wanted Apple to use NeXT, it was a package deal.
    So when you say different you are just talking about the name, right (and the addition of pretty graphics)? I mean seriously, you said it yourself, Apple was looking at the BeOS as a possibility. Instead they went with NeXT. What; do you think they then secretly stole the Be's coding and used that instead of NeXT? Mac OS X is a direct descendent of NeXT.

    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    As I remember Apple was far more interested in BeOS than NeXT, but when you want Steve you do what Steve says.
    Not when you are a $20 million dollar company that is asking $225 million for an unproven OS that has never even been used. True they considered it... for about 1 week! And yes, also true it was the better decision in the end.

    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    He also said that there is no reason to put a color screen on an iPod. Things change over time. You will find he will be doing other things that he has said no to in the past.
    Thats true, but that comment was a passing one, his statements about PDAs have been made ever since he killed Scully's Newton project.
    This is exactly my point, the comment was made in passing. There are many comments from Steve that people take as gospel, when in fact they are merely taken out of context or even not meant to be taken seriously or for whatever reason, may just not be applicable today as they were years before.

    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    But it isnt called the iPhone and it isnt made by Apple.
    Right on. I don't know why people can't understand this.
    Last edited by archie; 09/01/2005 at 09:43 AM.
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    So when you say different you are just talking about the name, right (and the addition of pretty graphics)? I mean seriously, you said it yourself, Apple was looking at the BeOS as a possibility. Instead they went with NeXT. What; do you think they then secretly stole the Be's coding and used that instead of NeXT? Mac OS X is a direct descendent of NeXT.
    Descendent in the same sense that humans are descendents of primates. NeXT didnt have Quartz, NeXT dint have Cocoa, Darwin, the Application Environment, theyre all different and more advanced in OS X. NeXT is more comparable to Apples failed Rhapsody OS than OS X. NeXT has some of the same under pinning, but OS X is far more advanced, far more usable. The similarities stretch beyond the fact that they are both built on Unix, but not far.

    This is exactly my point, the comment was made in passing. There are many comments from Steve that people take as gospel, when in fact they are merely taken out of context or even not meant to be taken seriously or for whatever reason, may just not be applicable today as they were years before.
    I hope youre right, the only thing that could make me forget where i left my treo is a PDA/phone from Apple. I've been waiting for an Apple PDA ever since I sold my tricked out Newton MP 2100 a couple years ago, add a phone into the mix and I'll buy one!
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Descendent in the same sense that humans are descendents of primates. NeXT didnt have Quartz, NeXT dint have Cocoa, Darwin, the Application Environment, theyre all different and more advanced in OS X. NeXT is more comparable to Apples failed Rhapsody OS than OS X. NeXT has some of the same under pinning, but OS X is far more advanced, far more usable. The similarities stretch beyond the fact that they are both built on Unix, but not far.
    Dude, what do you call Mach. It is the exact same thing as Darwin, it's just been renamed. Hell, Apple even kept it completely compatible with Intel. Here's a link:

    http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=3757&page=2

    Which is all the more reason why I find it so hard for you to believe that the OS started out on Intel hardware. I do not disagree with your statement that the current OS is more advanced that what NeXT was years ago. That is the nature of technology. Technology changes and improves. If that is evidenced anywhere, it is certainly at Apple.

    Let's take one of your other examples: Quartz. Firstly, Quartz is just an Apple badge for a display technology, namely that of "display PDF". This is what is now used in the Mac OS. When the OS was being developed and up to Mac OS X 10.0, Apple was using NeXT Display PostScript also Adobe technology, just as PDF is. In fact, PDF is just an advancement of PostScript.

    You seem to gloss over many other similarities, like the object oriented architecture of Nextstep and Mac OS X or primary UI components and methodologies being the same across these OSes.
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Which is all the more reason why I find it so hard for you to believe that the OS started out on Intel hardware. I do not disagree with your statement that the current OS is more advanced that what NeXT was years ago. That is the nature of technology. Technology changes and improves. If that is evidenced anywhere, it is certainly at Apple.
    Oh I knew that NeXT ran on Intel hardware, just never thought Apple would go 100% Intel, thats all. Just didnt seem to make sense as they have been pushing the fact that their chips are power hogs, they run hot and they dont have AltiVec.

    Let's take one of your other examples: Quartz. Firstly, Quartz is just an Apple badge for a display technology, namely that of "display PDF". This is what is now used in the Mac OS. When the OS was being developed and up to Mac OS X 10.0, Apple was using NeXT Display PostScript also Adobe technology, just as PDF is. In fact, PDF is just an advancement of PostScript.
    Again, yes they are an advancement, an advancement on the scale of moving from the first wooden raft to the Space Shuttle.

    You seem to gloss over many other similarities, like the object oriented architecture of Nextstep and Mac OS X or primary UI components and methodologies being the same across these OSes.
    I dont mean to, its quite clear when OS X came from. In fact many undocumented keyboard commands from NeXT still work in OS X. It seems obvious to me that Steve wanted to switch Apple's OS to something like NeXT/OS X way back when he was originally fired. I imagine thats why he went and created the OS at NeXT. Just imagine if OS 7 had protected memory, a Unix kernel, and the stability of OS X. Might have made a difference against Win 95
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  8. #108  
    For some info on the NeXtStep/OS X relationship, look here: http://www.objectfarm.org/Activities...ger/index.html

    Some Cocoa history.
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    But it isnt called the iPhone and it isnt made by Apple.

    Thats because Real doesnt make the phone, just in the same way that Apple isnt making these.
    ROFL - thank you Capt Obvious.
  10. #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    If it's called an iPhone by Apple, then I would expect more than iTunes software added to the standard Moto phone software.
    Your welcome, i was just pointing out that your statement was a little off the mark.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Your welcome, i was just pointing out that your statement was a little off the mark.
    Ahh - I guess in your incomplete incomplete skimming of this thread you missed:
    Quote Originally Posted by JHromadka
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. iPhone is a generic name people have given to the device that Motorola is releasing that will be able to play iTMS songs. This is a great feature, but I'm not a fan of Moto phones. While I would love to see an Apple-created device, I doubt that would happen. If anything else is released on the 7th, it would probably be updated shuffles.
    ...in response to my questioning him on the use of the term iPhone. Thanks again Capt Knowledge.
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Ahh - I guess in your incomplete incomplete skimming of this thread you missed:
    double incomplete huh?

    ...in response to my questioning him on the use of the term iPhone. Thanks again Capt Knowledge.
    Yes, that was a couple pages ago. I'll make sure to keep up with all of your side conversations from now on.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  13. #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Yes, that was a couple pages ago. I'll make sure to keep up with all of your side conversations from now on.
    That might help ... but I doubt it. Does the letter "N" in your Avatar stand for kNowledge?


    More hints about next week's announcement at this link perhaps? T-Mobile Germany getting in on the act too.
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Does the letter "N" in your Avatar stand for kNowledge?
    Heh, a 45 year old joke huh....
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  15. #115  
    It's new to each incoming freshman class at Nebraska - every year!
  16. #116  
    Kupe/AnteL0pe, take the jabs offline. As for that link, it would be nice if Europe got in on the act right away too. Jobs is doing a keynote in Paris later this month and could announce it there if it's not ready in time for the 7th.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
  17. #117  
    More hints coming from this link (as well as others I'm sure). I wonder what the NBT (Next Big Thing) is going to be?
  18. #118  
    Oh look iPhone <YAWN>
    Despite the yawn factor, I'm sure they'll sell millions of them.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  19. #119  
    Yes - isn't it exciting? No you can play your MP3s on your phone just like you could three years ago!
  20. #120  
    did something get released already? got a link?
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions