Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 152
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Just wondering how you can be so condescending, yet you have not even seen this phone yet? How do you know what software this will run? How do you know that they did not just use a pre-existing phone hardware and change the software to match apples specs? You don't do you!? Wait till we see this for real before you begin belittling campaign.
    What?!?! We already know the answers to these questions you pose. It is public knowledge.

    Apple is making a mobile version of iTunes for devices other than the iPod. The deal is exclusive to Motorola in this early stage because Motorola helped them develop it (a little bit anyway) and provided the hardware.

    Meanwhile, we have Apple software starting to show up on handhelds everywhere else. Nokia's new Series 60 platform (and all of its many licensees) uses an Apple browser based on Apple's WebCore and JavaScriptCore. And there are billions of devices out there that come with QuickTime. You put these technologies together (WebCore, JavaScriptCore and QuickTime) that Apple has been perfecting over the years and you have the ability to run Widgets. BAM!! Apple has just established a whole software market for an as yet unreleased mobile device yet to come from out of their own research labs.
    Last edited by archie; 08/31/2005 at 10:58 AM.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    Will my phone display the track info if I do?
    And do playlists!

    Personally, I could care less if I put DRM'ed music on a phone, since I don't even put them on my iPod. But, I would love to see a phone running some type of Mobile Apple OS someday, and Apple ergonomics.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
       #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    What?!?! We already know the answers to these questions you pose. It is public knowledge.

    Apple is making a mobile version of iTunes for devices other than the iPod. The deal is exclusive to Motorola in this early stage because Motorola helped them develop it (a little bit anyway) and provided the hardware.

    Meanwhile, we have Apple software starting to show up on handhelds everywhere else. Nokia's new Series 60 platform (and all of its many licensees) uses an Apple browser based on Apple's WebCore and JavaScriptCore. And there are billions of devices out there that come with QuickTime. You put these technologies together, WebCore, JavaScriptCore and QuickTime that Apple has been perfecting over the years and you have the ability to run Widgets. BAM!! Apple has already established a whole software market for an as yet unreleased mobile device yet to come from out of their own research labs.
    As I said it is all speculation, we will see on Wed.. I just don't think it was right of him/her to attack another poster in the manner that he/she did, that is all. We speculate till we are blue in the face, it won't change the fact that we don't know what this phone will have till it is out.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    As I said it is all speculation, we will see on Wed.. I just don't think it was right of him/her to attack another poster in the manner that he/she did, that is all. We speculate till we are blue in the face, it won't change the fact that we don't know what this phone will have till it is out.
    I really don't understand what you are talking about then. Sorry!
  5. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
       #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    I really don't understand what you are talking about then. Sorry!
    All I was saying was we should not attack another posters speculation since none of us really know what this phone will have on it.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    And do playlists!
    Excellent. Can we call it the 'Truffle'?



    I'll get my coat.
  7. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
       #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    Excellent. Can we call it the 'Truffle'?



    I'll get my coat.
    Truffle, that's rich!!
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Truffle, that's rich!!
    I'll pick your coat up while I'm there
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    I'm not sure that who builds it is the only test. If it is then I'm using an HTC Treo 650 and I don't think there's such a thing as an Apple computer - the iBook I'm typing this on says 'Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in Taiwan'.

    How much design does Apple have to do before you'd consider it an Apple product? Enough to get the badge on the front?
    Apple didnt design this phone, they just adapted a portion of the iTunes code to run on this Moto phone. This isnt that big a deal, it seems that the S. Jobs' reality distortion field has enveloped this thread.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Apple didnt design this phone, they just adapted a portion of the iTunes code to run on this Moto phone. This isnt that big a deal, it seems that the S. Jobs' reality distortion field has enveloped this thread.
    Don't be so sure. The original "leaked" mac mini picture/video was very different form the real mini. Steve Jobs can still pull the rug of off your feet. For all we know the E790 or whatever could be a decoy.
  11. #91  
    Steve has stated over and over that he wants to stay away from the PDA market for a number of reasons. Those same reasons would apply to why he would want to stay away from the cell phone market. I'm sure he will be happy to develop software for portable devices, but dont expect to see an Apple branded phone/pda/combo device.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Steve has stated over and over that he wants to stay away from the PDA market for a number of reasons. Those same reasons would apply to why he would want to stay away from the cell phone market. I'm sure he will be happy to develop software for portable devices, but dont expect to see an Apple branded phone/pda/combo device.
    Well if any of this is true, then Apple certainly aren't staying away from the cell phone market, even if their involvement is 'only' the iTunes connection. The Engadget story sparked some speculation that Apple might be doing more than just the iTunes stuff, but reading this thread it seems to me that people are just having fun with that speculation. I doubt that any of the posters really believe we're about to see an Apple designed phone with an Apple OS. I doubt that the Engadget guys do either for that matter.

    Just think, Apple hardware design and a cool Apple UI - it would be nice though, wouldn't it!
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    Just think, Apple hardware design and a cool Apple UI - it would be nice though, wouldn't it!
    Of course it would be! I'd love nothing more than to have many more Apple designed products to choose from. Think how cool an Apple designed refrigerator would be, or an Apple designed DVR, or just about anything else, but you'll only be disappointed if you actually expect these things to ever be produced.

    I'm sure Apple could make a killer phone interface, in fact i'm sure they could blow away the competition. As a long time Mac user I have always been astonished at how no one has been able to make an intuitive Phone UI yet, but I just don't see this happening. Apple is a hardware company first and a software company second. They may make an iTunes app or a Safari-like browser for phones just to expose people to Apple design, but they do that so people get interested in buying a Mac, I dont see them making a full blown entry into the cell phone or even the phone OS market. Who knows though I could be wrong, I always said that OS X would never run on Intel hardware
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    The Engadget story sparked some speculation that Apple might be doing more than just the iTunes stuff, but reading this thread it seems to me that people are just having fun with that speculation. I doubt that any of the posters really believe we're about to see an Apple designed phone with an Apple OS. I doubt that the Engadget guys do either for that matter.

    Just think, Apple hardware design and a cool Apple UI - it would be nice though, wouldn't it!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    I am assuming you are speaking of my post and my "speculation". Let me just say that I was in no way speculating about Apple software that is being used on differing phones (web browsers, media players, music software, java kits). I am dead serious. And when I bring up the possibilities and obvious paths that putting these software pieces together offers, I am in no way pushing beyond the realm of possibility. What I say is not only completely feasable, but inedible.

    This Engadget story you are speaking of is merely regurgitating what I have been talking about at AppleInsider except they don't completely understand what they are reading and have apparently twisted its meaning a bit; it is they who are "speculating".
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Of course it would be! I'd love nothing more than to have many more Apple designed products to choose from. Think how cool an Apple designed refrigerator would be, or an Apple designed DVR, or just about anything else, but you'll only be disappointed if you actually expect these things to ever be produced.

    I'm sure Apple could make a killer phone interface, in fact i'm sure they could blow away the competition. As a long time Mac user I have always been astonished at how no one has been able to make an intuitive Phone UI yet, but I just don't see this happening. Apple is a hardware company first and a software company second. They may make an iTunes app or a Safari-like browser for phones just to expose people to Apple design, but they do that so people get interested in buying a Mac, I dont see them making a full blown entry into the cell phone or even the phone OS market. Who knows though I could be wrong, I always said that OS X would never run on Intel hardware
    I wouldn't say you were wrong, you probably just didn't realize that Mac OS X started out on Intel hardware. I don't know if you remember December 23, 1996 but this is the year that Apple bought a company called NeXT. Next was a computer system than ran on Intel hardware. They had an OS that Apple wanted to port to the PowerPC processor.

    I'd argue a couple more points that you have stated but I am getting hungry.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Steve has stated over and over that he wants to stay away from the PDA market for a number of reasons.
    He also said that there is no reason to put a color screen on an iPod. Things change over time. You will find he will be doing other things that he has said no to in the past.
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    He also said that there is no reason to put a color screen on an iPod. Things change over time. You will find he will be doing other things that he has said no to in the past.
    Remember the Intel bunny man!
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Of course it would be! I'd love nothing more than to have many more Apple designed products to choose from. Think how cool an Apple designed refrigerator would be
    With Spotlight for finding that last bit of pie late at night?
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    I'd argue a couple more points that you have stated but I am getting hungry.
    Want to buy a fridge with Spotlight?
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    What I say is not only completely feasable, but inedible.
    The fridge might be able to help you with this too
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions