Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    I don't know if you realize this but iTunes can not only sync music and videos, but also to-do lists, calendars, address and memos... on both Windows and Mac. This in conjunction with multi-tap for text entry, an onboard camera and a GB or more of memory not to mention stereo speakers and Bluetooth functionality that blows any Palm smartphone out of the water does make it an entry into the smartphone arena as far as I'm concerned.
    But the iPod phone does hold a lot of advantage. For example, it's samller. And it's competible with iTunes smart playlist. That means when you drop a playlist over, iTunes will do the dirty work for you. You don't have to dig up all the songs from various album folders. And you can sync the Podcast files automatically.

And the most important thing is the iPod connector. Alot of new cars has iPod connecters option avaiable. BM, mini cooper, Scion etc. Even if you don't care about the intergration of the control keys, it still make the dashboard alot cleaner. That's a big appeal to me.

Even with the touch screen, the treo is not as good a music player as the iPod. I am talking about the real iPods of course, not this reskined E398 thing.
    You're singing to the preacher, I already understand all of the coming iTunes phone's virtues.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7

And the most important thing is the iPod connector. Alot of new cars has iPod connecters option avaiable. BM, mini cooper, Scion etc. Even if you don't care about the intergration of the control keys, it still make the dashboard alot cleaner. That's a big appeal to me.

I disagree with that. Automotive telemetrics is a huge industry right now, and even though the iPod may have the pre-eminant market position today, that doesn't necessarily mean that all car companies will want to embrace and be tied down to a single proprietary connecter beholden to Steve Jobs! For the longest time, the going assumption (and IMO correct one) is that the best interface for automotive telemetrics (be is music players, phones, gps etc) is Bluetooth! That way you won't be limited to any single device...

Even with the touch screen, the treo is not as good a music player as the iPod. I am talking about the real iPods of course, not this reskined E398 thing.
    You are comparing a single use device to a a smartphone? The ipod can make calls, lookup gmaps, stream audio, IM etc. I may not do alot is single things perfectly, but it does alot well...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    You have got to be kidding. gfunkmagic is now a moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I disagree with that. Automotive telemetrics is a huge industry right now, and even though the iPod may have the pre-eminant market position today, that doesn't necessarily mean that all car companies will want to embrace and be tied down to a single proprietary connecter beholden to Steve Jobs!
    Hmm...
    Here is a list of auto manufacturers with dealer install options on at least some of their vehicles. Of these listed, if a particular vehicle doesn't have an install option, it will at least have an auxillary jack for plugging the iPod into the car's stereo as a selectable input device.

BMW
    Mercedes Benz
    Mini
    Scion
    Volvo
    Chevrolet
    Alfa Romeo
    Ferrari
    Nissan
    Land Rover
    Saturn
    Buick
    Cadillac
    Pontiac
    Mazda
    Daihatsu

There are more but it is getting late. I can't at this moment think of one that doesn't offer the integration but if YOU do, feel free to post it here.

You are comparing a single use device to a smartphone? The ipod can make calls, lookup gmaps, stream audio, IM etc. I may not do alot is single things perfectly, but it does alot well...
    I think you meant to say Treo instead of iPod. I understand what you are trying to say though...; BUT, Apple has continually added functionality to the iPod so you can't say/infer that it is a one-trick pony. This will be evidenced again very shortly.
    You have got to be kidding. gfunkmagic is now a moderator.
    Can ya believe it?

Hmm...
    Here is a list of auto manufacturers with dealer install options on at least some of their vehicles. Of these listed, if a particular vehicle doesn't have an install option, it will at least have an auxillary jack for plugging the iPod into the car's stereo as a selectable input device.
    I'm not talking about auxillary jacks, but specific device connectors like Ipod connector or Palm (Athena) Mutliconnector. The orginal poster mentioned that he thought that the IPod connector was an important feature, perhaps even a 'univeral' option. I just saying that this will Never be accepted as a universal solution for automotive telemetrics...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    More from Engadget at this link and this link. The plot thickens.
    Last edited by Kupe; 08/30/2005 at 06:36 AM.
    Can ya believe it?

I'm not talking about auxillary jacks, but specific device connectors like Ipod connector or Palm (Athena) Mutliconnector. The orginal poster mentioned that he thought that the IPod connector was an important feature, perhaps even a 'univeral' option. I just saying that this will Never be accepted as a universal solution for automotive telemetrics...
    Just as I was expecting. You, as a moderator, are wrong and have neglected to actually read the content of my post.

You say "that this will Never be accepted as a universal solution for automotive telemetrics..."

I say it already is accepted as a universal solution with dealer installed "device connectors". All of the manufacturers I listed have at least 2 models with these custom install options avaliable. Then I said if a particular model doesn't have the option, it will at the very least have the option to connect the iPod with an auxillary jack.

You're singing to the preacher, I already understand all of the coming iTunes phone's virtues.
    Aw sorry. Clicked the wrong button.

I disagree with that. Automotive telemetrics is a huge industry right now, and even though the iPod may have the pre-eminant market position today, that doesn't necessarily mean that all car companies will want to embrace and be tied down to a single proprietary connecter beholden to Steve Jobs! For the longest time, the going assumption (and IMO correct one) is that the best interface for automotive telemetrics (be is music players, phones, gps etc) is Bluetooth! That way you won't be limited to any single device...
    Dude.... does other music player let you plug a connector to and control it from a external indash player or steering wheel at all? I am speaking from the reality. Apple AAC DRM is not a standard; iTunes is not a standad. That hasn't stop them from destroying competition.

You can go ahead and hate on the Steve Jobs. I recommand it simply because it the CHEAPEST solution. A iPod connector from car maker. or Dension, $150; An iPod mini, $200. Bam! Portable music on the go. Can you do it with a harddrive indash player? DVD/mp3 indash player? Sure, they cost more and not work as well.

You are comparing a single use device to a a smartphone? The ipod can make calls, lookup gmaps, stream audio, IM etc. I may not do alot is single things perfectly, but it does alot well...

So what. PC can play DVD and music but most people use dedicated hardwares to do it. iPod right now has a better ergonomic than the Treo. But I chose the Treo anyway because I don't want to be bothered with two devices. But let's say I buy a new car that has navigator built in, I definitely will look into iPod phone.

I will give you that Bluetooth 2.0 may replace the iPod connector one day, but that's too far away. Basically you have to wait for the car makers to offer it, it will take years.
    I say it already is accepted as a universal solution with dealer installed "device connectors". All of the manufacturers I listed have at least 2 models with these custom install options avaliable. Then I said if a particular model doesn't have the option, it will at the very least have the option to connect the iPod with an auxillary jack.
    As much as I covet my iPod, I would rather have an aux jack than a charger port in vehicles. The jack is a much more universal solution, as it works with all MP3 players, not just the iPod. And it makes it harder for Apple to change the port down the line.

Maybe the announcement will be Palm using the iPod connector on future Treos. That I could get behind.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    More from Engadget at this link and this link. The plot thickens.
    IF Apple fully partnered and developed (worked on UI of) a smartphone with one of the phone makers, MS and Palm would have a lot to worry about. The iPod has a lot of mindshare right now, and people would flock to the phone. If that first story pans out, it's going to be a very interesting holiday season.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Tuesday, August 30, 2005
    The CTIA Daily News is changing! Beginning Wednesday, September 7, the CTIA Daily News will be published as the CTIA SmartBrief. To continue receiving the most up-to-date compilation of industry news, click here.

Sources Say Cingular to Offer iPod Phone
    Sources indicate that Cingular Wireless will sell the Motorola Apple iPod wireless phone. Representatives from all three companies declined to confirm or deny the report. The device would include iTunes software allowing users to transfer songs from a personal computer to the phone, and then listen to the songs through headphones. Music on wireless phones is expected to be the "next big thing" for the wireless industry. Many of the national carriers currently or plan to offer phones allowing users to download full songs wirelessly. (Source: The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times)

For additional news and periodic wireless industry updates throughout the day, visit www.ctia.org.

The Wireless NewsLine from CTIA is the online source for news releases by and for the wireless industry.

CTIA Daily News is transmitted weekdays, except for holidays.

If you would prefer to receive this message as Text from this point forward, please send a blank message to ctia-text@mail-ctia.org

If you would prefer to receive this message as HTML from this point forward, please send a blank message to ctia-html@mail-ctia.org

If you wish to change your e-mail address, please reply to this e-mail with your old address and new e-mail address.

If you wish to discontinue your free CTIA Daily News subscription, please send a blank message to the following address: ctia-daily-unsub@mail-ctia.org.

Reach our targeted audience of over 44,000 wireless industry professionals! For information on advertising in CTIA's Daily News e-mail or on CTIA's web site, please contact us at sales@ctia.org or call 202-736-3210.

Please Note: Some links in today's news are time-sensitive. These may not be available as news changes throughout the day. Also, some news sources may be subscription-based or require registration.

CTIA - 1400 16th Street, NW - Suite 600 - Washington, DC 20036
    Last edited by mgauss; 08/30/2005 at 12:21 PM. Reason: correction
    <moved>
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    <moved>
    I was hoping for a <merge>.

Edit: My needs are met.
    Can I get an amen??
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Can I get an amen??
    I want little Treo's above my Avatar!!!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Post more.
    Aren't they just the cutest lil' things?

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    It's not FAIR!!!! My post count, and Insertion's post count, both start with sevens. That should be enough!!!
    It'll be fun.
    It's not FAIR!!!! My post count, and Insertion's post count, both start with sevens. That should be enough!!!
    Wait! AUGH!!! One more post, and they won't!!! Crap! What to do! Do I shut up forever? Or forge ahead and make a liar of myself.
    Must have time to think...
    It'll be fun.
    Wait! AUGH!!! One more post, and they won't!!! Crap! What to do! Do I shut up forever? Or forge ahead and make a liar of myself.
    Must have time to think...
    You should stop now, and never post again, else you'll look like a fooll!!

Oh yeah, iPhone, must have!!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast