Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Hmmm... it's supposed to use mini-SD for up to 1 GB of storage. Thus no internal mini-HD or flash storage. How is this any better than the Treo with 1-2GB SD card? The only advantage is obviously integration with iTunes store, but you can remove the Fairplay DRM using Hymn project anyway for use on the Treo, plus there is already 3rd pary support for WMA Janus DRM via Ptunes and of course Real. Thus the Treo is already more open in this regard...
    Not following all of those acronyms you gave. Is their a 3rd party app for the Treo to play songs in the iTunes format? I've switched to a Mac and have a Shuffle, but would like to also have songs on the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Not following all of those acronyms you gave. Is their a 3rd party app for the Treo to play songs in the iTunes format? I've switched to a Mac and have a Shuffle, but would like to also have songs on the Treo.
    aeroplayer along with hymn, will play all itunes purchased music.
    iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    LOL! DRM is the copy protection tech used for things like musinc movies, books etc. iTunes uses a particular DRM called Fairplay to secure the music download from the iTunes store which is compressed in an audio coed called 'AAC' as opposed to the more ubiquitous and older 'mp3'. Fortunately, there are tools like the Hymn Project that let you remove the Fairplay DRM from iTunes purchased music. Once you have done this, all you need to do is play them on your Treo using a player that supports the AAC format like Aeroplayer, Kinoma, older beta of TCPMP (pre .65), and MMplayer (which I recall also supported AAC, but I may be mistaken)...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    LOL! DRM is the copy protection tech used for things like musinc movies, books etc. iTunes uses a particular DRM called Fairplay to secure the music download from the iTunes store which is compressed in an audio coed called 'AAC' as opposed to the more ubiquitous and older 'mp3'. Fortunately, there are tools like the Hymn Project that let you remove the Fairplay DRM from iTunes purchased music. Once you have done this, all you need to do is play them on your Treo using a player that supports the AAC format like Aeroplayer, Kinoma, older beta of TCPMP (pre .65), and MMplayer (which I recall also supported AAC, but I may be mistaken)...
    G-Funk or anyone,

I friend of mine drmed all the music he ripped with wmp10. he now has an ipod and i-tunes is telling him, that it cant be conver the file because of drm.

is there such a project, like hymn, for wma files?

thanx.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    G-Funk or anyone,

I friend of mine drmed all the music he ripped with wmp10. he now has an ipod and i-tunes is telling him, that it cant be conver the file because of drm.

thanx.
    Why the hell would he CHOOSE to DRM his music? He'd be better off re-ripping it (using something other than a proprietary format* like wma) rather than converting a lossy format (wma) into another lossy format (aac or mp3).

* I know that some will say that wma is a standard and that aac is proprietary, but they're wrong and it's the other way around. (Yes, I'm a mac user and I hate Windows, but that has nothing to do with my statements above.)
    Yeah. That's worse than encoding all your video into real video format. Can't feel sorry for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by torifile
    It's not an Apple product! It's a moto phone with iTunes. That's it. Why is that so hard for people to understand?
    Thank you, I thought I had cleared that up.....
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Thank you, I thought I had cleared that up.....
    yeah, me too. seems people just don't want to understand, sometimes.
    iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Quote Originally Posted by JHromadka
    I've never been crazy about the UI on Motorola phones.
    Ummm... thats why they are having Apple design the software. Do you understand what this partnership is all about?
    I'm sorry. I am going to have to request you move this thread to the Mac forum.
    So you think Apple is actually going to hold a press event to announce a Motorola phone? hmmm... possible, but not likely.
    Why would this be phone be a gateway to smartphones?
    I don't know if you realize this but iTunes can not only sync music and videos, but also to-do lists, calendars, address and memos... on both Windows and Mac. This in conjunction with multi-tap for text entry, an onboard camera and a GB or more of memory not to mention stereo speakers and Bluetooth functionality that blows any Palm smartphone out of the water does make it an entry into the smartphone arena as far as I'm concerned.
    Heh - and now I see ( on Engadget ) that Motorola is planning a special event to launch their ROKR iTunes phone on . . . yep . . . September 7th! I'm sure it's a completely unrelated event.
    Exactly my point. Ed Zander will be announcing his own product, not Steve Jobs. This is what you are saying, right?

Steve will be announcing his own stuff.

There is always a possibility that he may take some time to address that they "now also have Apple iTunes for mobile phones" and then do a coast to coast call up demo or something but Steve will have his own headlining material.
    My point is both companies are making a big deal about September 7 releases. The non-Apple company has already announced they are releasing their Apple-equipped product. The Apple company is being coy about what their event is about (but they always are, so nothing new there). I suspect they are related, but perhaps not the total event.
    I still think the iPhone would be reason enough for Apple to have an event. Granted they could announce a flash-based iPod mini at the same time, but I doubt it.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    I still think the iPhone would be reason enough for Apple to have an event. Granted they could announce a flash-based iPod mini at the same time, but I doubt it.
    This quote will act as exhibit A (we are gonna need a larger alphabet).
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    G-Funk or anyone,

thanx.

Sorry Felipe, I don't know about anything like that for wma DRM, although I'm sure something exists out there... If I find something, I'll ost here later...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    I don't know if you realize this but iTunes can not only sync music and videos, but also to-do lists, calendars, address and memos... on both Windows and Mac. This in conjunction with multi-tap for text entry, an onboard camera and a GB or more of memory not to mention stereo speakers and Bluetooth functionality that blows any Palm smartphone out of the water does make it an entry into the smartphone arena as far as I'm concerned.
    But the iPod phone does hold a lot of advantage. For example, it's samller. And it's competible with iTunes smart playlist. That means when you drop a playlist over, iTunes will do the dirty work for you. You don't have to dig up all the songs from various album folders. And you can sync the Podcast files automatically.

And the most important thing is the iPod connector. Alot of new cars has iPod connecters option avaiable. BM, mini cooper, Scion etc. Even if you don't care about the intergration of the control keys, it still make the dashboard alot cleaner. That's a big appeal to me.

Even with the touch screen, the treo is not as good a music player as the iPod. I am talking about the real iPods of course, not this reskined E398 thing.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast