Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Samsung has just closed their R&D Department for Palm OS Phones because the one phone that they still had in development was refused by Sprint. They are giving up the ghost; quiting while they are ahead. Not good for PalmSource... or Palm Inc. for that matter.

Half of me wants to say, "good, that's what Jean-Louise Gasseé deserves." Take that you rat *******. Stupid freakin' PalmSource. Every since Gassy was elected to the board and served as intern CEO, I have been breathing flames at the audacity of this guy's insistance that the Macintosh platform is inconsequential. You know what, this is also the guy that stopped development of the small handheld internet appliances at Apple right before having to leave. Then he was doubly pissed off because Steve talked Apple into buying NeXT instead of BeInc. And then after that, he...
    OK, I should probably stop now.
    Not sure how reliable this news is. i500 discontinued, yes....dropping Palm OS, not sure it is true.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Can we have some proof? Link, etc....
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  4.    #4  
    Well, perhaps you should read PalmSources' financial report from this week where they mention the expiration of multiple royalties from various companies.

Perhaps you should check on Samsung's termination of PalmOS based R&D.

Perhaps you should read Samsung's press release from yesterday that talks about their new venture kicked off with the release of a multitude of Symbian OS based smartphones.

Someone said in another thread that they were still selling a smartphone in Mexico but that doesn't mean it will last much longer. The writing seems to be on the wall. You can choose to not believe me (just as everyone else does on TreoCentral) but I am just reporting what I know. Probably the last time you will find me doing so.

Seriously, why should Samsung continue to support the Palm OS if PalmSource themselves have stopped supporting it?
    Wow, an Apple fanboi will stoop as far as necessary to step on some soapbox about their widdle OS getting dissed.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Well, perhaps you should read PalmSources' financial report from this week where they mention the expiration of multiple royalties from various companies.

Perhaps you should read Samsung's press release from yesterday that talks about their new venture kicked off with the release of a multitude of Symbian OS based smartphones.

Someone said in another thread that they were still selling a smartphone in Mexico but that doesn't mean it will last much longer. The writing seems to be on the wall. You can choose to not believe me (just as everyone else does on TreoCentral) but I am just reporting what I know. Probably the last time you will find me doing so.

Seriously, why should Samsung continue to support the Palm OS if PalmSource themselves have stopped supporting it?

Uh...So basically you have no proof, no link, nothing...

And no, just a post by Rave over at pdaphone doesn't count, even if he was a real boon and helpful insider...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Wow, an Apple fanboi will stoop as far as necessary to step on some soapbox about their widdle OS getting dissed.
    ummm... What?...
    ...whatever.

I truly am not trying to belittle you. What you're saying wouldn't even shock me that much, but can you not provide a link? I did a cursory search on Samsung's site and nothing about closing any R&D department came up. I didn't wade through their entire financial report, but a glance didn't show me anything supporting that statement either. Can you link?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Uh...So basically you have no proof, no link, nothing...

And no, just a post by Rave over at pdaphone doesn't count, even if he was a real boon and helpful insider...
    What, do you want me to type into your browser for you? I just use "google.com".

Seriously; gfunk, you have been looking at this industry longer than I have I'm sure. How do you suppose the Palm OS is going to handle the Sprint/Nextel merger which uses different technologies – CDMA and then iDem... or whatever it is called. PalmSource is no longer supporting the OS they were licensing (that means they are not going to be able to integrate that kind of technology). Palm Inc. isn't going to do anything for them.

So my point is that I'm sure you can find information on the web about this yourself. And I'm sure you can find information about their latest finances and expenditures. They have been losing money in their phone/cellular technologies division. They are now setting themselves up for longterm growth because their short term strategies haven't been working. They are now all about innovating to come out on top. They are paying particularly close attention to Nokia, as you can imagine and their timing is right inline with their(Nokia's) cutting back of R&D. So anyway, before I start to wander to much, how can you research, innovate and develop with the current PalmOs platform? You can't. That is why they are focusing on the latest Symbian and maybe even (but not quite sure) Microsoft's Windows Mobile 5.0.

Now to bring up another point that is on my mind as it relates to this issue, lets look at Sprint's announcement from this Tuesday. That announcement being the introduction of a new music subscription service. How are they going to use Palm's OS for this. I do not understand all the technical aspects that are involved but I'm pretty sure that the OS as it stands now is incapable of such functionality, UNLESS maybe they taylor it similar to the way they did for other Sprint Network type functions. Oh wait, they can't do that because all development has stopped; just as I had posted one half year ago — when no one believed me.

So, with the 6 or 7 points that I have brought up in this thread alone, if that isn't enough proof, I'm sorry.
  10.    #10  
    If you want me to admit that I don't have any "proof" because I am not a Samsung employee, fine. I don't have that kind of "proof" but you people need to look at the facts we have as they stand.
    Now to bring up another point that is on my mind as it relates to this issue, lets look at Sprint's announcement from this Tuesday. That announcement being the introduction of a new music subscription service. How are they going to use Palm's OS for this. I do not understand all the technical aspects that are involved but I'm pretty sure that the OS as it stands now is incapable of such functionality, UNLESS maybe they taylor it similar to the way they did for other Sprint Network type functions. Oh wait, they can't do that because all development has stopped; just as I had posted one half year ago — when no one believed me.

So, with the 6 or 7 points that I have brought up in this thread alone, if that isn't enough proof, I'm sorry.
    Archie,
    Your points may be valid. Your reasoning and deductive skills are assinine.
    The PalmOS CAN'T support a music downloading service, but neither can the Blackberry's. Do you think Sprint will stop marketing those as well? What you are saying makes some sense. How you are getting there is making no one listen to you.

This is my point. WHERE archie? WHERE did you read these things. You tell us to go read them in one post, then chide us because we shouldn't need to read them in another. You may full well be right, but even if all these things come to pass no one is ever going to believe you knew what you were talking about because of the way you try to make your arguments. I mean, after all, even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.
    You would have seemed more convincing to me if you'd simply stated you believed this was going to happen based on a, b, and c. Instead you tried to sound like those were documents we should all be able to find and they would prove your point. You made it sound as if they were readily available, but when some of us investigated, they weren't.
    So I guess I'll ask again. I'm interested in your thoughts, and I'm wondering if you might not be right. Could you link me to where Samsung's press release about closing their R&D department is. Or that financial report you mentioned. Or anything supporting this (third party articles, etc.)?
    It'll be fun.
    what's the souce for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by raila
    what's the souce for this?
    That's the point!!! Arch can't provide a source!
    It'll be fun.
    Archie,

The point is this:

-Apple (Macs) are inconsequential.
    Get over it.

-Buying NeXT was a cash comp for Jobs and nothing more. It's technology became irrelevant (regardless of how cool it was perceived to be).

-You can provide a few links, which means you either need to post them to support your point, or STFU.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Archie,
    Your points may be valid. Your reasoning and deductive skills are assinine.
    The PalmOS CAN'T support a music downloading service, but neither can the Blackberry's. Do you think Sprint will stop marketing those as well? What you are saying makes some sense. How you are getting there is making no one listen to you.
    I think my reasoning and deductive skills are above everyone else's here. There is a move towards a platformization in the smartphone arena so I would think this capability would be important for any future considerations for Sprint. Heck, even Palm acknowledges this with the recent interviews of Donna and even Hawkins and also Brown.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    WHERE archie? WHERE did you read these things.
    Here is their latest SEC filing.

http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/...05-170234&nad=

This report is of course required reading for a licensee of PalmSource’s OS. Samsung is a licensee; and to stay abreast of the situation, you better believe they are going to read this. It cannot be very comforting for them to read some of this stuff. I know it wasn’t for me.

Here is a link to a press release announcing the launching of new Symbian phones:

http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/P...817_0000184557

Here are links to Samsung's finance reports and how their previously recent quarters have seen lowered operating profits in certain division and what they plan to do to fix it:

http://www.semireporter.com/public/8453.cfm

http://www.semireporter.com/members/10083.cfm

Here is a link to a report of Samsung upping its R&D for long-term competitiveness and there justifications and how it correlates with Nokia:

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/tech...9230912350.htm

And finally here is a link to PalmSource’s announcement that Samsung has renewed their 3 year contract back in September of 2002. Hey, you know what. That 3 years is up in about a week and we have heard nothing of any renewal.

http://www.palmsource.com/press/2002/092602_5.html

On a side note, in the SEC report, you will also find that PalmSource fully expects Palm Inc. to start offering products containing Microsoft’s OS.

Also of note is what looks to be a new and expanded license agreement between Palm and PalmSource, as I recall. It seems that PalmSource has agreed to grant Palm Inc. the license to develop, manufacture, test, maintain and support their PalmSource products. Certainly expanded upon over what they had in the past, as they now have access to all code according to the report.
    I don't see Samsung dropping PalmOS officially. Basically Samsung is betting on every platform. They just released two Symbian phones.

All of their PDA phones seem to be a bit rough around the egdes, includung i730.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Archie, the links that you posted do not correlate or support your original statement. You're reading between some very grey lines and coming up with a conclusion that is not supported by your "facts." In my job, if you can't prove something to be correct, you are in fact wrong. Whether or not Samsung will drop Palm OS has yet to be seen, but you still have not provided anything concrete.

I originally asked for a link to what you were reading to satsify my curiosity and you took it way out of proportion. You need to calm down and stay civil, cause right now you're making yourself look silly.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    That was some very interesting reading. You may even be right, although I also believe you're reading some things into those documents that simply aren't there.
    As far as your deductive skills, maybe that was a tad harsh, but you were presenting your case in a very flimsy light, and your inability, at the time, to present links hurt your credibility. I'm still not totally convinced Samsung is dropping Palm (and truthfully don't care, Samsung product is 95% ****) but I now see how you got to those conclusions.
    I guess that only leaves one question?
    If you had all that why didn't you link to it in the first place?
    It'll be fun.
    there's only one real palmOS licensee left - palm, inc.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast