1.    #1  
    A while back I wrote an article on why to choose the Treo over other devices. It was carried originally over at OSNews.com and also picked up at Treonauts. A few references are now outdated, but the gist of the article is still relevant. I thought this forum would be the ideal place for it...

http://mobileoptimized.com/TheCaseForTheTreo.html
    Thanks for the article. I have been trying to decide between a Treo 650 and an XV6600 to replace my standard phone and Dell Axim x50v. This helps...
    I am looking at all these next generation ppc phones and all of them have some hardware flaws.

Let's stop for a second and assume the WM5 is good as they say even though no one has use it. Let's assume WM5 is indeed the second coming of the jesus. What we have with the new hardware?

HTC universal, it's basically a non US phone. It has slow *** triband/gprs connection. Now I can get edge half the time in New York, I don't think I can go back. Plus it's a taco, you have to carry a bluetooth headset all the time.

Samsung i730. Okey so Samsung is going to PPC full force now. Wait no they aren't they just release two new Symbian phones. The battery is quite bad too.

P50, finally its out. But I am hearing some battery horror stories from howardorums now. Plus it's Acer, do you really think you can get customer service from them? Think not.

Moto Q, has no touchscreen and no SDIO slot. It's one class lower basically. Looks good though.

Finally we have the HTC wizard, the best of them all. Great screen and great size. But why why why doesn't it have a Xcale processor? :/ It's slow than the current Treo and a has smaller screen? That's a lot to give up.

The HP phone. It's a Treo wantabe for all I care. It's too ugly to be consider.

So there we have it. Between the Wizard and the Samsung, I rather pick a 'version 1.1' update of the i730. If Samsung is indeed commited to its PDA phone vision. I will live with its battery problem. But neither of them is much better than the current Treo hardware wise IMO
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    HTC Universal is a 3G phone. Well, OK, it's a tablet PC with a phone built into it. One inch thick!

http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonlan/archi...17/452812.aspx
    A dated article on a dated device is not a problem, but this is the wrong forum.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Finally we have the HTC wizard, the best of them all. Great screen and great size. But why why why doesn't it have a Xcale processor? :/ It's slow than the current Treo and a has smaller screen? That's a lot to give up.
    The main reasons for having the OMAP instead of an an XScale processor are lower power consumption for significantly higher performance. You can always hope the next Treo uses it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighthand
    ( this Brighthand link )One of the most interesting demonstrations of the day came from Texas Instruments, makers of the OMAP processor used in the Tungsten T. Gilles Delfassy, Senior Vice President and General Manager of Texas Instrument's Wireless Terminals Business Unit, ran some fairly intense graphics tests against both TI's processor at 144 MHz and processors from "another big chip maker" running at 206 MHz and 400 MHz. Let me tell you, the OMAP processor cleaned Intel's clock, finishing the test in less than one-third the time. Mr. Delfassy claimed that not does TI's processor operate more efficiently (it uses as little as one-sixth the megahertz to produce the same numbers of MIPS) but it consumes significantly less power -- more than 90% less power than a 400 MHz Xscale processor in standby mode.