Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  

For those who may not have seen the universal yet, here are some interesting reviews of the Universal from

If the PPC-6600 is too big for you, then keep on looking....If you need some extra help getting that first date with the sex appeal of your cell phone, then keep on looking.......If the very thought of breathing the same air that WM05 device resides in, then keep on looking.....But the features it offers does make it worth a look at, no matter if you are interested in buying it or not.
    • Processor - (Type) Mhz: 520 MHz Intel XScale (PXA272)
    • Display: 640 by 480 (VGA) screen
    • Display 3.6 inches
    • WM 5.0
    • 128 mb RAM
    • 64 mb ROM
    • Bluetooth 1.2
    • WiFi (802.11b)
    • both 3G-capable GSM/GPRS --Tri-band; 3G/GPRS (Class 10)--
    • Two digital cameras ( a 1.3MP (Flash) and a 0.3MP camera)
    • QWERTY keyboard
    • mini-USB
    • decent battery life for this style of phone with 1620 standby - 200 hr; talk - 4 hr or 5 hr
    • Stereo speakers
    • Two Reports of sizes: ONE: MM (Inches) Length: 127.7 (5.03) Width: 81.0 (3.19) Depth: 25.0 (0.98)
    • Two Reports of sizes: TWO: MM (Inches) Length: 131.6 (5.18) Width: 79.0 (3.11) Depth: 21.6 (0.85)
    • Two Reports of Weight: g. (oz.): 270.0 (9.52) or 210.0 (7.41)

In addition to its GSM/GPRS/UMTS capabilities, it will have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. It will reportedly be able to automatically switch between whichever wireless network is best at any given moment.

As is common with HTC models, it makes them and then sells them to be branded by different companies for different carriers....so you end up with a whole host of different names for virtually the same phone. The HTC press release said it was going to release the Universal in the US sometime in Q3 or Q4, but no confirmation with any carriers...or the carriers timelines for offering it to customers. With the delay with the Germany release, we will have to see if that effects the US release or not. Here are some of the names:
    • HTC Universal
    • Orange SPV M5000 (HTC Universal)
    • I-Mate PDA2k5 (HTC Universal)
    • O2 XDA Exec (HTC Universal)
    • T-Mobile MDA Pro (HTC Universal)
    • i-mate JASJAR (HTC Universal)

Thanks to CEC, here is good reference for specs with VGA PPC's Compared

Here are some pictures:

Mini USB:

EDIT: Before it gets out of hand......THIS NOT A TREO KILLER ALERT THREAD......simply information on upcoming options in the PDA/Cellphone world!

Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 08/31/2005 at 07:53 PM.
    Wow - it's BIG!
    Thanks for organizing this and bringing it here, Hobbes. It looks great and I'm ok with the size as long as it's not too heavy. The payoff is that you get a *loaded* device with a large screen and keyboard. It's probably the most promising power-user device on the horizon, though I'm not confident that it'll make it to the States. Have you read some suggestions of SIM or other incompatibilities at the HoFo forum? The only drawback I see is that it doesn't have an external screen or keypad for the phone functions (like the Nokias and other clamshell designs.)

The other name for it is the MDA IV. I saw a very nice black one somewhere that I think O2 is projected to get.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Where do you pour the waffle batter? It's nice, but it looks like a George Foreman grill with a screen.
  5.    #5  
    It heats up okay out of the box, but if you want a handle to open it when the waffle is done, you have to look 3rd party.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    Thanks for organizing this and bringing it here, Hobbes. It looks great and I'm ok with the size as long as it's not too heavy. The payoff is that you get a *loaded* device with a large screen and keyboard. It's probably the most promising power-user device on the horizon, though I'm not confident that it'll make it to the States. Have you read some suggestions of SIM or other incompatibilities at the HoFo forum? The only drawback I see is that it doesn't have an external screen or keypad for the phone functions (like the Nokias and other clamshell designs.)

The other name for it is the MDA IV. I saw a very nice black one somewhere that I think O2 is projected to get.
    I know....if this does make it to the States, I am going to take a serious look at it.....comparing it to what else will finally be out at that time as well. But it does have my attention.

I agree about the keypad on the back side so when the clam shell is closed......

If I am not mistaken, which I very well could be, I think that the MDA IV has been changed to the O2 XDA.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I know....if this does make it to the States, I am going to take a serious look at it.....comparing it to what else will finally be out at that time as well. But it does have my attention.

I agree about the keypad on the back side so when the clam shell is closed......

If I am not mistaken, which I very well could be, I think that the MDA IV has been changed to the O2 XDA.
    Yeah, I think O2 has been labeling the MDAs Xdas at least since the MDA/Xda II -the series that didn't make it over here. Just like the carriers here had their own labels for the MDA III: 6600, sx66, etc. O2's is to be the Xda Exec no less.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Thanks for organizing this and bringing it here, Hobbes. It looks great and I'm ok with the size as long as it's not too heavy. The payoff is that you get a *loaded* device with a large screen and keyboard. It's probably the most promising power-user device on the horizon, though I'm not confident that it'll make it to the States.
    I want it, or something slightly like it. I would definitely ditch PalmOS and pay any price for this in a second if the hardware existed in a smaller size and an external keypad/tiny screen. You listenin', Palm?

The only drawback I see is that it doesn't have an external screen or keypad for the phone functions (like the Nokias and other clamshell designs.)
    I completely agree on the external keypad/screen bit...and the size. I want it to be just a little larger than a nokia or sony ericsson candybar themed phone....weight and thickness aren't nearly as important to me as footprint. If I can't put my hand over it and pull it out without the corners snagging on my pocket, it's too big.
    Indeed, this does not look like a "Treo-killer" but by the design and power it comes with, this thing could certainly pwn Danger's Sidekick II.. seems more like a "Sidekick-Killer" to me..
    Most people use their phone to talk... i use mine for everything else..
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I don't think that this thing is going to be used as a phone by many people, but it is a superb connected PDA that can be used as a phone if necessary. I am very interested in one of these since I could carry a small cell phone, such as that slim Motorola, and have a nice PDA that is completely connected and can do most of the essentials that are usually only done on my laptop. Yeah, that will mean having two seperate SIM card and two seperate wireless accounts, but I think this is a device that could finally make that worthwhile to me.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Its too big. I'm just getting use to the vx6600 size! It just and I mean just fits in my pocket. I could not go any larger. So for me I will wait for version 2 of the i730
    For those considering the HTC Universal, I've just come accross this great piece of news.

I just wanted to post an update on the Radio stack of the HTC Universal: The WCDMA radio can support simultaneous data connection while the GSM radio handles voice. If WCDMA is not available GPRS is defaulted on the WCDMA radio so you can run GPRS and GSM simultaneously. The radios are separate in the Universal so they can run indepently of each other. I'm wondering if I can run WCDMA and 802.11B at the same time. Supposedly, I should be able to but haven't tested it yet or seen the data on the device. Ummmm how would one go about testing this??? The other thing that many of you may be wondering about is the ability to jump networks to keep a single online session running over different connectivity options. I will be able to test this in October when I have a test setup ready but not until then.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...417#post5629417
    http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2541
    So basically you can talk and surf at the same time! Or more practically, you can receive e-mail while on the phone, or have an IM chat at the same time as a conference call, or have satellite navigation, traffic information and a telephone call at the same time!

If two IP networks are possible at the same time it would be even better. You could have Instant Messenger use the ubiquitous GPRS network, and use WIFI at a hot spot to download a large file at the same time, all while still being able to talk on the phone via bluetooth even.

I'm so definitely getting this device.

Surur
    Triband? Does this mean T-Mobile only? (Or rather other countries only)

Does it have edge?

It doesn't have GPS build in right? So can you use two bluetooth devices at the same time, in order to talk on the phone and use GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    I'm so definitely getting this device.
    This would definitely seem like the route I would choose so long as it had an external keypad/screen strictly for phone calling.

I'm not so sure that it's all that large to me anymore. I think I'd manage with all those features...plus I really wanna clamshell. But no external keypad/screen definitely kill it for me. Maybe next time, HTC!!
    PPC's have always been able to handle multiple bluetooth connections (of different types e.g. headset and serial) at the same time.

The lack of an external screen is a negative. The silver lining is that with no glass exposed the need for a case is greatly reduced.

Surur
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    The lack of an external screen is a negative. The silver lining is that with no glass exposed the need for a case is greatly reduced.
    VERY good point

The other thing is that it looks like you can fold the screen down or exposed....so it appears that you would have a choice to have it completely protected or viewable, much like the PPC-6600 is now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahsad
    Indeed, this does not look like a "Treo-killer"
    Oh I don't know. It would probably kill any Treo it fell on

Seriously, this device has great specs but is way too big for me to even consider using it as my my everyday mobile phone. I'm a two device kinda guy: converged handheld computer/phone plus a laptop. The days when I had a phone, a PDA, a laptop and a couple of desktops are gone and the Universal doesn't fit into my two device scheme at all. The HTC Wizard, however - that's a definite maybe.
  18.    #18  
    Thanks Gfunk for the great link for another thread with loads of information on the Universal:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...f6cb7e3349a382
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    No measuring devices near, how much larger is that than a Treo 650? Can it be compared to something?
  20.    #20  
    It can be compared to the PPC-6600, as the picture in the first post shows.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast