Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Yes...IF it becomes available for the USA AND through Sprint I will certainly buy it and try it out for the 2 week trial. I also would love the features it has in a smaller form factor and think it will come.....just probably not by next year. The 6700 comes close, so we are getting there.
    I will buy it also but the 2 weeks is irrelevant for me, even if it is not a smaller form factor.

If it is a clamshell/qwerty/folding-tablet/pdaphone then I am in love
    I saw this at shadowmites site. Looks like there are plans to bring the universal to sprint http://x.msmobiles.com/portal/downlo...obiles_com.pdf
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    highly inaccurate chart, from what i've heard. and somewhat old...
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    I look forward to seeing these features in a device smaller than the 6700 next year.
    I agree....we can dream of that....but I haven't even heard any rumors of anything with the features and power of the Universal in a package even the same size of the 6700, let alone smaller.

I would be all it, so if you get wind of it please pass it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I agree....we can dream of that....but I haven't even heard any rumors of anything with the features and power of the Universal in a package even the same size of the 6700, let alone smaller.

I would be all it, so if you get wind of it please pass it on.
    If we get a device with a 2.8 inch (or smaller) VGA screen I'm going to need to get some serious Coke-bottle glasses to be able to use it.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  7.    #47  
    Here are some more reviews of both the pros and cons for the Universal:

Extensive Review with A LOT of pictures from every angle and of the lighted keyboard and sample of pictures taken by this device inside, outside, and at night and he got Voice Command to work with his BT headset: http://pocketpcdubai.com/i-mate_PPC/.../reviewp1.html

Like the one above this one includes nice screenshots too:
    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5341

Review: http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/6142.html

Some Additional pictures:

Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 11/28/2005 at 07:21 AM.
    The Universal is awesome,,, I would love to be able to fold and protect the screen but Im shocked these devices dont have more internal memory. 128 megs of ROM sounds nice but in my case it only translates to 34 megs for my stuff. Do you have to have a hard drive to get more memory? Are hard drives smaller and cheaper than flash memory?

P.S. I bought my PPC 6700 so that the wait for the Universal would be less painful
  9.    #49  
    Actually the Universal will have 43 mb available for installing programs. I use a fast 2 gig SD card with my 6600.

Currently there is only one manufacturer that makes inch size HD, but there are several phone manufacturers working with them to include them their upcoming and yet to be announced phones. So, give it a little time and we will be able to say, "I remember when we had to use a floppy like card for memory in my phone....and I was excited when it added only 2 gig of storage!".
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 11/28/2005 at 01:30 PM.
    Actually the Universal will have 43 mb available for installing programs.
    My 128 megs of ROM translates to 34 megs of storage for me on my 6700. My 1 gig mini SD is so tiny..... So do you have any idea why these things dont have more RAM......

Is it one of those, "You cant have it all things?" I know there are a thousand things that go into a device and not all of those things can be the biggest and best available or we'd have a $3,000.00 phone that weighed 3 pounds.

Is that what it amounts to.....
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 11/28/2005 at 05:46 PM.
    Actually the Universal will have 43 mb available for installing programs. I use a fast 2 gig SD card with my 6600.

Currently there is only one manufacturer that makes inch size HD, but there are several phone manufacturers working with them to include them their upcoming and yet to be announced phones. So, give it a little time and we will be able to say, "I remember when we had to use a floppy like card for memory in my phone....and I was excited when it added only 2 gig of storage!".
    Give it a little more time -not much- and we'll be saying: "remember they used to have things called "hard disks"? I'm guessing/reading that the move to flash memory will overtake the move to smaller hard disks. Witness Apple's move to flash on the Nano: watch for Apple to be the first out with flash notebooks --maybe in 2006??
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    The problems with hard drives in small portable devices are power, latency, and power. Hard drives have to be spinning in order to deliver data. Spinning takes lots of power. To conserve power, the drive must be spun down - thus you get latency issues when you need something off an idle drive. Flash is the future for small devices (that is unless the latency and/or power issues with HDs can be overcome). Also flash is much less expensive to manufacture. I wish it were faster, although that'll likely improve over time.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    The lack of keys on the outside kinda kills it for me, as much as I love the form factor. Jeez, if they'd put the Palm OS or even WM 5 on Nokia's 9300, I'd be sooooooo there.

Or is it the 9300i? Can't keep up with all the changing names.
    Quote Originally Posted by ricochet
    The lack of keys on the outside kinda kills it for me, as much as I love the form factor. Jeez, if they'd put the Palm OS or even WM 5 on Nokia's 9300, I'd be sooooooo there.

Or is it the 9300i? Can't keep up with all the changing names.
    For me too; no external display either, which puts it in rare company. Maybe people will use it open all the time.

The 9300i will be the one that has wifi and I think a stronger battery.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  15.    #55  
    You can fold it to have the display out or in to protect it. I look at it as self designed hard case.

As for external buttons, I think I agree that should have been added, but will hold final opinion when and if I ever hold one.
    I posted a (very) limited review in another thread I created. I did not know that the jasjar and HTC Universal were the same. Let me re-post it here:

Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    I just spent a little while fiddling around with a Jasjar that a buddy of mine has. He has it on T-Mobile and states he paid about $850 for it on ebay.

First, let me say that I have no experience using a WM device, so my play time with it was seriously limited by this. I'm sure that if I spent some more time playing with it, or if I had prior experience, I would have a lot more to say.

The device is incredibly solid and GORGEOUS. It feels far more sturdy than any other device I have tried, including the 650. OTOH, it is huge! I searched around and have seen it described as a mini-laptop. Well, that's almost true, but really, I would have to describe it as being more of a large PDA. I would have a real hard time wearing it on by belt all day, and could never see myself walking around with it in my pocket for more than a few minutes.

The screen is beautiful and enormous. It rotates on a solid-feeling swivel and flips back to form a candy-bar phone. There are extra side Send/End buttons for this mode. Converting it is something that either takes some effort to do, or takes some getting used to. I'm not sure.

It was running WM5, which I guess from reading around, is supposed to be a big improvement over WM3. It seems to function very much like my PC and is intuitive to any PC user. That being said, I have become comfortable using only my keyboard on my 650 and I don't think that the 5-way on this device (or is it because of WM5) is fully compliant with even it's own operating system. For example, when the device is open in its laptop-style mode, you can easily hit the Windows button to open the Start button. However, when in the candy-bar mode, I could not find a way to hit the start button without using my finger or the stylus. Again, I could be wrong, but felt a constant need to grab the stylus.

I did not get a chance to do any surfing. Sorry.

Overall, this device is really impressive and I see it as an excellent substitute for a laptop. My biggest problem with it is that it is GSM and I really want to stay with Vz.
    In addition to the above, my friend states that the flash is not really a flash, but more of a light. Again, if you are planning on doing a lot of flipping, you may find this a bit arduous.

In spite of these down sides, if this was available on Vz, I would probably do it, especially since I feel a need for a laptop and this would satisfy that need.
    No external display?

I didn't look for that. That's a real problem. I don't want to open it every time to check caller-ID or my text pages.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123