Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    i like the wizard more. the universal looks like the size of a television
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    The problem with the Universal is the size. It's just to big to use as a everyday phone imo. Too bad HTC couldn't make it the size of the Sony UX series clie. If they did that and packed all those features into a small form factor like that, it would have been a dynamite device!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #23  
    Here, here!!!! I fully agree.

(but I am still going to try it out anyways)
    Its big, but for some-one who carries a phone AND PDA already its an improvement. Replacing a Treo with this however would be more questionable.

Surur
  5.    #25  

T-Mobile Germany Confirms Launch Date for MDA Pro Pocket PC Phone Edition

T-Mobile Deutschland has announced the MDA Pro will be available from 1 September. The new Windows Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition integrates W-LAN (Wireless Local Area Network), 3G UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications System), GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) and Bluetooth.

Further features include a large color VGA screen, full keyboard and Windows Mobile 5.0 operating system.

T-Mobile is touting the new device as a mini-laptop, or "Office in your Pocket". The Windows Mobile 5.0 OS brings updated Word Mobile and Excel Mobile applications, synchronisation to Outlook ad Exchange Server and other organising features.

When the screen is open, it can be rotated on its own axis and folded back down. The form factor is then changed from a mini-laptop to a touchscreen pocket PC.

A major benefit of the new Microsoft Windows Mobile 5 OS is the memory storage model in use. All data is now stored on a flash memory, so that even if a device's battey runs flat no data will be lost.

The MDA Pro has a 43.5 MB memory for storing data, photos, ringtones, etc. There is also a socket slot for an MMC/SD memory board. It is powered by an Intel Bulverde CPU at 520 megahertz.

The MDA Pro’s two integrated cameras allow photos to be taken and video sequences to be recorded. The main camera produces pictures with 1.3 megapixels resolution, and includes a flash light. The second camera is used for videocalls 3G netwrks.

The MDA Pro costs €499.95 including a 24 month postpay contract with the Relax 100 rate or €430.99 (net) with a contract with the BusinessRelax 100 rate, in Germany.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5118
  6.    #26  
    Another name to add to list of aka Universals:

i-mate JASJAR 3G Pocket PC Phone Edition Officialy Announced

i-mate is introducing the i-mate JASJAR, one of the first Pocket PC Phone Edition devices based on the new Windows Mobile 5.0 operating system and compatible with UMTS 3G networks.

-----------

This tri-band GSM/GPRS device with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth also connects to 3G (UMTS) mobile networks, automatically switching to the best network mode available. Users can benefit from videoconferencing and multimedia with dual cameras, built-in flash, large VGA-screen and dual loudspeakers for stereo sound and are able to send photos and recorded videos quickly when connected to a 3G network.

Full Story Here
  7.    #27  
    Have a question about the Universal? Then check out this great Q&A from first hand experience with the device:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000713057093/

Here are some new pictures over at enGadet:

I can't wait for something like this to come to sprint. It is a little big which would bother me a bit but with a 520 processor, 128 RAM, >/= 1 MP camera, qwerty, SD and clamshell, I would forget all about it being a little bigger than the treo.
    I don't get why the Universal (which is big for a phone) only has 802.11b but the Wizard has 802.11b & g? Did someone miss the ball on this small detail over at HTC?
    Palm V -> Pocket PC -> Treo 650 GSM
    ----------------- ^
    Slipped to the "Dark Side" for a while, But I'm back
    lol @ the size of the phone.
    lol @ "being a little bigger than the treo."

the treo is just a "little bigger" than the screen of the universal.

next thing y'all want to do is hold a tablet pc as a phone next to your head.

and why does the front of the phone look so plain...?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ
    I don't get why the Universal (which is big for a phone) only has 802.11b but the Wizard has 802.11b & g? Did someone miss the ball on this small detail over at HTC?
    802.11g can't take advantage of its greater speed on these devices, just compatibility with g-only WAPs. Even PPCs with 500+ Mhz processors top out around 3-4 Mbps, well below 802.11b's 11 Mbps top speed.
    How good is the web surfing experience with PIE on this? Is it similar to the other new handheld (6700) where its not quite one handed?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah
    lol @ the size of the phone.
    lol @ "being a little bigger than the treo."

the treo is just a "little bigger" than the screen of the universal.

next thing y'all want to do is hold a tablet pc as a phone next to your head.
    Try carrying around a laptop, PDA, and cell phone on short business trips and then a device like this does not seem so cumbersome. Even with my 6600, I often leave behind my laptop when my fellow managers are lugging theirs around. For some, it is about the best performance for meeting needs of a convergence device for our cell phone, PDA, and basic laptop needs into one device.

As for speaking into it, I use a BT headset 90% of the time, no matter what phone I am using....so this is a non issue for me.

Size is often an issue for many, if so, simply this phone is not for you. If power is what you need, then it is worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah
    and why does the front of the phone look so plain...?
    The cosmetics can be changed and enhanced for different carriers. It will be interesting to see if they leave more plain or spice it up.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    How good is the web surfing experience with PIE on this? Is it similar to the other new handheld (6700) where its not quite one handed?
    I remember reading.....maybe on PDAPhoneHome or HoFo....that it is reported to be faster than at least the 6600 using WM2003. Depending on how each phone is offered the Universal could have more memory and I it does have a faster processor than the 6700.

The cool thing about internet connectivity is that the Universal is suppose to switch back and forth between Wifi and EVDO without you even knowing it to always give you the best or fastest connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    The cool thing about internet connectivity is that the Universal is suppose to switch back and forth between Wifi and EVDO without you even knowing it to always give you the best or fastest connection.
    This would be ideal...and if you are on the wifi...calls can come through? (unlike on the wifi sled).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

16.    #36  
    I am not speaking with authority on the question, but I would imagine yes you could talk while on WiFi. Wouldn't it be using a seperate radio?

EVDO does not allow that....which is what EVDV will allow you to do when they update/upgrade the EVDO networks once they are laid out. It will nice when that finally comes and all the worries of missing calls while browsing the net or checking your email are memories of the good ol' days.
    Hmmm... It actually doesn't look that big in that pic:

However, it definitely isn't one of those 'take to the beach' cellphones...

The Sprint 6700 (I think that the wizard?) is much more appealing in terms of form factor imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    If you supplant PIE with Netfront, the browsing experience is similar to the Treo - no screen-tapping required at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal

(but I am still going to try it out anyways)
    Hobbes, you mean you are going to buy a Universal?

Can you use it in the states with only GSM 1900 picking up US signal?
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 09/30/2005 at 09:17 AM.
    I look forward to seeing these features in a device smaller than the 6700 next year.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast