Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I hope Im in the right forum. I was wondering if the TReo has its own e-mail address like blackberys do?
    Quote Originally Posted by yzev
    I hope Im in the right forum. I was wondering if the TReo has its own e-mail address like blackberys do?
    You can use any e-mail service that you want with a Treo. It's not tied to any specific e-mail service. Pick a service and configure your e-mail client to use it.

I recommend using ChatterEmail with a Fastmail IMAP account. Search the forums. You'll see many references. Also, check out http://www.chatteremail.com

There are forums there as well.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I understand that. The RIMs can do the same, practicaly. I want to know if the Palms come with an e-mail address specifically tied to the device like the RIMs do. Otherwise, how do push programs find the device?
    you probably have an email address through your service provider.

ex. I use sprint and have an address username@sprintpcs.com (never use it though)
    usually there is also an SMS address such as tendigitnumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com or tendigitnumber@mycingular.com or something like that where the "tendigitnumber" is your ten digit phone number
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Check this out: http://www.sensiblesoftware.com/Cell...tification.asp
    -only as a reference for email addresses; I know nothing about this service/business.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    The simple answer is No. The Treo has no specific email address like the Blackberry. There are options for push email on the Treo that people seem to like though.
    My Sprint Treo has an email address attached to the account. I never use it.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by yzev
    I understand that. The RIMs can do the same, practicaly. I want to know if the Palms come with an e-mail address specifically tied to the device like the RIMs do. Otherwise, how do push programs find the device?
    I think I understand what you're asking... For example, if you get a Blackberry through Verizon, they set you up with an e-mail account like "username@vzw.blackberry.net". That e-mail address is dedicated to your Blackberry device, so if someone wants to send you a message on your Blackberry (vs. your desktop), they can send to that address.

The Treo doesn't work that way. You can use any e-mail address that you were using prior to getting a Treo. You can have the Treo retrieve mail from it just like any other computer. There are several e-mail clients available for the Treo (or you can use the one that comes with it: "VersaMail").

Some carriers provide an e-mail account with your service, but that account really has nothing to do with the Treo, per se. It's just an e-mail account. Nothing special about it. You could access the account they give you from any desktop client or web browser. For example, Sprint gives you an e-mail account: username@sprintpcs.com. But that account is not TIED to your Treo. That concept doesn't exist with Treos. The Treo can access THAT account, just as it can access any other e-mail account that you might have.

"Push programs" don't have to "find" the Treo. If you're using a program like ChatterEmail, it makes a connection, does a "handshake", and then sits IDLE waiting for the e-mail server to receive new mail, which is then pushed to the Treo. The Treo gets an IP address just like any other computer on the Internet. That's how the communication is handled.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Palm used to have email addresses available for a subscription fee, but they discontinued it about a year ago, maybe longer. IIRC, you had to buy some tech support along with your account at Palm mail.
    This is what I have been looking for. OK, so I have a Verizon Wireless Treo. It has an e-mail program on it (haven't installed Versamail). What do I do to set up the Treo to look up my home e-mails? Can I look up internet-based e-mail like POL.net (Physicians Online)?

Last question, with Versamail do I have to set up wireless sync first?