Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,
    I think I am going to finally break down and get one of these units. There seem to be 2 camps (Treo lovers and Blackberry lovers) and each uses and raves about their unit. (how about the Samsung i500 palm/phone?).

Wondering if any of you can provide me with some insight on why you love yours and what swayed you to buy/use one over the other. How about the pros or cons that I should be aware of. I know the Treo has MP3 and an SD expansion slot. Nice to have but not critical for me...I am a light e-mail user and own my own small company. Basically i am tired of lugging around a Palm device and a phone.

I like to be able to just throw my phone in my pocket and go. Can I do that with either of these? Seems like I might be able to with the Blackberry but the Treo might be a bit big for that?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments.
    -Matt-
    IMHO -- the Treo has 10 years of developed applications going for it and a better phone form factor. If you want a PDA, cell phone, Internet combo -- the TREO is still the ONE.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 08/08/2005 at 01:29 PM.
    I'd go with a Treo.

I found that even when I had a blackberry,I rarely used it as a PDA and still had a Blackberry,my old Palm and a cell phone.And before getting my treo I had a blackberry phone,a regular cell phone and was still using my old Palm.If you are not a heavy email user,I might not necessarily recommend a blackberry-you will be fine and perhaps happier with the Palm (think of all the apps you've added to the palm you have now-Blackberry devices do not have such a large pool of applications,many of which are inexpensive or free, to choose from-which is what kept me after all those years carrying my palm.After my last blackberry was stolen,there was a period of shock,and withdrawal,quickly solved by ordering a Treo,which I had been considering on and off for years (through its various iterations ),but had difficulty making the plunge.

As a pretty heavy email user,loved (and hated )having the blackberry in order to be able to effectively continue to run my businesses without being tied to my desk,it has been an adjustment,but my briefcase is far lighter now that it had been in years ,now I just have to get rid of that extra cell phone !
    Quote Originally Posted by msiler
    Basically i am tired of lugging around a Palm device and a phone.
    Since you're already a Palm user to begin with, I don't see where the debate is?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Wife has the BB & I have a Treo 600. I feel for my wife-but the BB is a company issue.

Treo is still the best of the two as a convered device.
    Go w/the Treo.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    BB is great for e-mail. I works for other thinks, but not as good as the Treo. Bottom line, if you are computer/pda challenged, and need email on the go, get the blackberry. If you want to do all the other things the Treo does, get the Treo.
    i may be a little late, but i just switched from my 650 to BB (7250), and it's the best move i've ever made. my POP mail is pushed instantly, one handed usage is much easier than palm, it *DOESN'T CRASH*, web browsing is MUCH faster, bluetooth headset works better (both were verizon 1x)

i will never buy another treo running palm os... it's a hacked together solution that's just not a good phone, not a good email client, not a good web browser... while it's more versatile than the BB, the BB does everything that I need (phone, web, email, IM, 411) flawlessly. the treo is the king of mediocrity.
    What do you want? Do you want games, web browsing, phone features and extendability? If that's the case, get a treo. If you want email, get a blackberry. Treo blows the BB away in terms of features, but if the primary objective is to get and send email, nothing beats a blackberry.
    I have to echo KRamsauer's comment about what do you want? I have both (company issues Blackberry) and would say if you don't want/need the added features, the Blackberry is a perfect device for basic e-mail and very minimal PDA functions. IMHO, the Treo does e-mail much better than the Blackberry, but you need to buy 3rd party software (Chatter or Snapper) to get the Treo to that level. I do not use the PDA functions on my Blackberry because they are too limited. However, that might work for you. It depends on your needs. I use my Treo mainly for e-mail, appointment and contact management, and Internet. The Blackberry can't provide a better package on the whole, but the Treo might be overkill if you don't need/want the potential it can offer.

Also, the Blackberry might be a bit tougher than the Treo. I beat up and handle my Blackberry in ways I never would my Treo. That's not to say the Treo is delicate. As far as being pocketable, I think that's about even between the two.
    interesting-- i'm actually able to add an appointment into my blackberry *faster* than my treo.... i don't see how it's less versatile as a pda...

i think it also depends on what bb... i hear the old ones had horrible PIM functionality.

it's really nice to have internet that's fast enough to be usable for anything other than emergencies
    I have a Nextel 7520 Blackberry with the most recent software updates. The issue I have with the Blackberry PIM function is the ease in manipulating items. I like to link contact, memos and todos to appointments. Of course, I'm using DateBk5 to accomplish that, so that needs to be factored in. For me, the limitation with the Blackberry is making more than basic changes from the device.

The Blackberry intergration with Outlook is pretty good and I find myself using Outlook to make most of my changes then sync them to the handheld. With my Treo, I use the handheld to do almost all of my PIM management and sync those changes to Outlook. I have the Blackberry on my work computer and the Treo on my home computer.
    My wife just purchased the nextel 7520 Blackberry and likes its integration with the various MS apps. It is a bit cumbersome for me, since I have prefer the Palm apps and Chatter/Snappermail. For me it is too wide, too bulky, goes face first into the holster, the viewing terrain is nicer, but the number of apps just isn't there. It supports bluetooth 1.2 and sounds great with the Motorola HS805, the Motorola HS850 and the Sony HBH662 - pairing is also quick.

For the most part, everything it does, the Treo 600 does better with the addition of 3rd party software.

I justs upgraded my Nextel to the i605 model, hence the desire to upgrade to the 650 has lessened for me and in the for what it is worth, its bluetooth integration is much better than the 650s.

Ben
    The past several years, I have lived on Palm OS. When my company gave me the option of choosing a wireless device to replace my cell phone, I natrually chose the Treo 650, as I figured that it would kill 2 birds with one stone, and that I would be a ble to get rid of both my palm AND my cell phones.

I just got the Treo last week, and I am extremely dissapointed. It freezes up on me at least 4 or 5 times a day, the Wireless sync takes ages to get my email, anmd I have to stare at a blank screen if I need to switch from one application to another.

I am either going to get the Blackberry 7250 or the Samsung i730. I really need the instant email function though, so I will prob. end up with the BB. Thus will end my dependance on the palm OS.
    I think these device comparison are somewhat unfair, since most of the so-called 'magic' the BB has is really a function of the BB Enterprise Server. The Treo, with the addition of similar server-based technology (Good, Intellisync, etc) can be made to work just like the Blackberries that are used in corporate environments.

In terms of freezes and other device instability, that's another matter - it should not be that way and doesn't have to be that way. That whole topic has been beaten to death in other forums, but I do know folks who have tons of problems with their BB devices, and of course some who've had issues with Treos. Is the BB device more stable overall? Perhaps, and I'd say that's a function of how most people use it - just as email device, with little to no extra stuff added in. The flexiblity that the Palm OS has is both its beauty and its achilles heel. Yes you can do more with it, but the more you add in, the more likely you increase the chance that it's going to have problems. It's a vicious cycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by msiler
    I like to be able to just throw my phone in my pocket and go. Can I do that with either of these? Seems like I might be able to with the Blackberry but the Treo might be a bit big for that?

-Matt-
    This is about the only clue you provide on what you need. I'm ok with that because my own need is pretty much that simple. I'd add stability or reliability, and I also need reliable mail (have BB Internet Service, not the enterprise server) and phone service and a fast browser. I like a very "throwable" and barely noticeable front-left-pants-pocket device. The BB 7100t is the most portable (size and weight) integrated device I've owned, as well as the most stable cellular devise of any kind. In five months, I have had a single reset and only one dropped call. I've dropped it three or four times, including twice on concrete and except for some scars, it works flawlessly. The only reset was a result of the door and battery popping out when I dropped it at Home Depot a few weeks ago. BTW, I just run a naked device: no case and no screen protectors. The plastic screen does scratch easily, but I rub them out every month or so and that works well enough for me. I've come to appreciate the advantages of a plastic screen: lower weight and no-worry dropping. Good luck on your choice.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Rodolfo: It sounds like its a winner for your needs. I use a lot of the applications listed in the 'Top 6 for your treo' thread and couldn't move away from palm without having some type of substitute.

I have a friend who has the BB. He likes his as well...but he doesn't do much with it besides make calls and check emails.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    I like a very "throwable" and barely noticeable front-left-pants-pocket device. The BB 7100t is the most portable (size and weight) integrated device I've owned, as well as the most stable cellular devise of any kind. In five months, I have had a single reset and only one dropped call. I've dropped it three or four times, including twice on concrete and except for some scars, it works flawlessly.
    I forgot, my brother has the 7100t and likes it. He is very non-technical, so for the device to work well for him says something for ease of use and stability. It is "pocketable" and "tossable", within reason.
    I had a 7290 and a 7100G and they both blew when it came to the Internet. the BB is not even a close second whe it comes to the full package of options. If all you need is puch e-mail then get a BB if you want almost anything else go with a Treo.
    I think the bottom line is that people who want/use Treos are those who have discovered that they want/need more than just phone calling and emailing. Yes, the various BB models can do browsing, and some folks do that just fine on their BBs, but most (not necessarily all) Treo users want some mix of the following:
    - tons more apps available for the Palm OS - or, they're past Palm users and they have come to depend on some set of apps that they don't/want to move away from
    - perhaps some multi-media stuff, like PTunes or Kinoma, or something
    - many use the camera heavily, and lots don't think they will until they have it with them
    - they just 'like' the Palm OS - just like some folks like or prefer the BB interface. Neither is better than the other; it's just preference.

Bottom line - most Treo users have come to expect more from their handheld than just emailing and phone calling - and they're willing to put up with a <tiny> bit (yes, that's debatable) amount of OS instablity. As an example, I use my 650 for all email, tons of browsing, listening to ALL my music, reading books, and many other apps like Athlete's Diary, DayNotez, Docs ToGo, Handmark Express (yes, that works on BB as well), tons of pics and videos - and most of those things I use my device for (most notably the music and pics) I could NOT get with any BB device. So my needs are beyond that which a BB could deliver.

But a lot of folks' needs aren't, so that's why we have all sorts of different devices out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    I think the bottom line is that people who want/use Treos are those who have discovered that they want/need more than just phone calling and emailing. Yes, the various BB models can do browsing, and some folks do that just fine on their BBs, but most (not necessarily all) Treo users want some mix of the following:
    - tons more apps available for the Palm OS - or, they're past Palm users and they have come to depend on some set of apps that they don't/want to move away from
    - perhaps some multi-media stuff, like PTunes or Kinoma, or something
    - many use the camera heavily, and lots don't think they will until they have it with them
    - they just 'like' the Palm OS - just like some folks like or prefer the BB interface. Neither is better than the other; it's just preference.

Bottom line - most Treo users have come to expect more from their handheld than just emailing and phone calling - and they're willing to put up with a <tiny> bit (yes, that's debatable) amount of OS instablity. As an example, I use my 650 for all email, tons of browsing, listening to ALL my music, reading books, and many other apps like Athlete's Diary, DayNotez, Docs ToGo, Handmark Express (yes, that works on BB as well), tons of pics and videos - and most of those things I use my device for (most notably the music and pics) I could NOT get with any BB device. So my needs are beyond that which a BB could deliver.

But a lot of folks' needs aren't, so that's why we have all sorts of different devices out there.
    You summarize pretty well what justifies, or the advantages of a Treo. I don't have a Palm background and never got used to having to get -and pay for- an app for this and a hack for that, and then have every other download conflict with a prior one. I came to the Treo after using Jornadas and iPAQs running Pocket PC, along with a separate Sprint phone. When the Treo 270/300 came out, I jumped on what was a path-breaking integrated device. I think the Treo is still the best integrated format on the market, but the Palm software is so 20th century and limited in that it is basically just an OS. Though the 7100t has its limits, I can sync my Outlook calendar, contacts, tasks, notes, etc., and open Word, Excel, etc. attachments -all right out of the box, like Windows and Symbian have been able to do for years. The 7100 also has Bluetooth that works, and an excellent screen and speaker. Finally, all of your data are secure as it's all written to flash-ROM as with the new Tungsten 5. When my battery popped out "in the field" a few weeks ago, I just put it back in and it rebooted with everything intact. Finally2, the 7100t is even more one-handable than the Treo.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast