Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    Though the 7100t has its limits, I can sync my Outlook calendar, contacts, tasks, notes, etc., and open Word, Excel, etc. attachments -all right out of the box, like Windows and Symbian have been able to do for years. The 7100 also has Bluetooth that works, and an excellent screen and speaker. Finally, all of your data are secure as it's all written to flash-ROM as with the new Tungsten 5. When my battery popped out "in the field" a few weeks ago, I just put it back in and it rebooted with everything intact. Finally2, the 7100t is even more one-handable than the Treo.
    I do wish that treo came with apps like Chatter and docs to go (full version) pre-installed. I think it would help sell more units. As far as your battery example, I thought with the t650 memory system, you could do the same thing?

Plus for those with the 650, the Shadowmite custom rom tool is nice to truly customize the unit.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I have (had) a blackberry on tmobile and now I'm using a sprint treo. I see strengths and weaknesses in both platforms.

keyboard: blackberry hands down. treo's keys are too close together and too small.

screen: treo

web browsing: treo. blackberry web browsing is very lackluster.

email: blackberry. I mean its what the device was designed to do.

I think the treo is capable of beating the bb on all fronts but the packaged software isn't robust enough. You have to spend hundreds of dollars on third party apps to get treo to do what it should have been capable of out of the box. That problem doesn't exist on the bb platform
    Quote Originally Posted by joflow
    I have (had) a blackberry on tmobile and now I'm using a sprint treo. I see strengths and weaknesses in both platforms.

keyboard: blackberry hands down. treo's keys are too close together and too small.

screen: treo

web browsing: treo. blackberry web browsing is very lackluster.

email: blackberry. I mean its what the device was designed to do.

I think the treo is capable of beating the bb on all fronts but the packaged software isn't robust enough. You have to spend hundreds of dollars on third party apps to get treo to do what it should have been capable of out of the box. That problem doesn't exist on the bb platform
    Hundreds? That's a reach isn't it? Of the apps that I consider "must have," Chatter was $32. kMaps is free. FileZ is free (though I do use Resco as well.) PowerRUN was somewhere around $15. Directory Assistant was free. DTG was included (though not something I needed)

That's not even $50.

I may put Agendus on that list. Still under $100.

Other programs I have paid for aren't what I'd call must haves...pTunes, Lightwav/Ringo, various games...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    IMO, if you are not technically inclined and don't like messing around with software and other fixes, then head for the Blackberry.

I had an old man on the plane next to me the other day saying he was deciding between the Treo and the Blackberry. I asked him whether he was computer literate. He said no and that he didn't like fixing software and hardware problems on his home computer. I told him to buy the Blackberry.

I find it hard to recommend the Treo unless I know that the person can handle it.

It's like giving a 16 year old with a new license a high powered Porsche, it will end in tears.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I have many times gone back and forth with this issue. Right now I have a Treo, my girlfriend had a Treo and will be getting her blackberry in the mail in a few days, and for work I have used a blackberry off and on again. It really comes down to what the user needs and like has already been stated, how computer litterate are you. I think for me, now that I have Chatter, I use Verichat, and the ebook reader, and the fact that I can use Webpro and Blazer to get to the web for the most part, the Treo wins for me hands down. I use my Treo for quite a bit, the only software that I have thought was needed, that I had to buy were Chatter, for the push email, and VolumeCare. Those were a must have, I got Ringo for fun, as with any game that I have bought its all in good fun, and Ptunes. Thats about it.

Now the blackberry on the other hand, does push right out of the box. I always tell people, if you want email right out of the box, then blackberry all the way. I have felt that if the Treo came with software like Chatter, it would blow the blackberry away. All my girlfriend wants is Email and Text, and some very very light web browsing. She has like 3 email address, so the blackberry was fine for her, she even said that the Treo was just to much and she was always worried that she would break it. She didn't feel that way about the blackberry.

I guess it comes down to a person's actual needs, and how much that said person wants a cool gadget to play with, or a solid easy to use email device.

My $.02
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Hundreds? That's a reach isn't it? Of the apps that I consider "must have," Chatter was $32. kMaps is free. FileZ is free (though I do use Resco as well.) PowerRUN was somewhere around $15. Directory Assistant was free. DTG was included (though not something I needed)

That's not even $50.

I may put Agendus on that list. Still under $100.

Other programs I have paid for aren't what I'd call must haves...pTunes, Lightwav/Ringo, various games...
    Chatter $32
    VolumeCare $14.95
    ProfileCare $16.50
    Uninstall Manager $14.95
    ZLauncher $19.95
    BackupBuddy $29.99
    -------------------------
    $128

And thats just what I'm initially looking at. I'm not really satisfied with how the Treo handles contacts and integrates with the phone. So I'm probably also going to be looking into Agendus or Datebook.

Considering the Treo costs, I'd expect most of those functions to come with the device. VolumeCare shouldn't be necessary. I read that the delete function can leave remains of apps behind..given the limited amount of memory in the Treo..thats unacceptable. No backup utility on a platform as unstable as PalmOS?!? Imagine buying windows and then having to go buy a recycle bin program?

The only program I brought for my BB was Verichat!

I understand why people move on to PPC platform. That HP hw6717 with WM 5.0 is looking very tempting or better yet, the 670 WM 5 Treo.
    Last edited by joflow; 09/11/2005 at 11:35 AM.
    I just got done with the "road test" of Treo Vs. BB. I have chosen the Treo. So far I love it. I use the phone far too much to use the BB as a phone. I used a Bluetooth HS with it, but wasn't happy with the experience. I love the Treo!! It handles email very well with a Verizon web client. I had used a Palm devise before, so I am very used to the planner format. I won't do much web browsing--but I have and it's OK for me. I have been having some duplication in sync'ing but I am sure I'll work that out. I travel for business and had field tested both the Treo and the BB 7250 over the past month. I would, and have!!!, gone with the Treo. I just need a nutshell case now--
    Chatter $32
    VolumeCare $14.95
    ProfileCare $16.50
    Uninstall Manager $14.95
    ZLauncher $19.95
    BackupBuddy $29.99
    -------------------------
    $128
    Well, okay. But that's still not "hundreds."
    And thats just what I'm initially looking at. I'm not really satisfied with how the Treo handles contacts and integrates with the phone. So I'm probably also going to be looking into Agendus or Datebook.
    Probably most people are like this. Well, maybe not the "casual" user (if there is such a thing) who isn't really into Palms or PDA's in general. But I would say it's still better than a typical cell phone address book.
    Considering the Treo costs, I'd expect most of those functions to come with the device. VolumeCare shouldn't be necessary. I read that the delete function can leave remains of apps behind..given the limited amount of memory in the Treo..thats unacceptable. No backup utility on a platform as unstable as PalmOS?!? Imagine buying windows and then having to go buy a recycle bin program?
    You can make this arguement on most things. My Windows machine isn't stock. Neither are my Macs. And I've spent at least a thousand dollars on PPC software over the years.

PPC devices have a registry. Often you'll have leftover scraps that need to be deleted. Programs like Pocket Mechanic are a must, so the PPC won't be any different in that regards.
    The only program I brought for my BB was Verichat!
    Uggh. I hope it's stable on a BB. Nice program, but it would crash my Treo on a daily basis.
    I understand why people move on to PPC platform. That HP hw6717 with WM 5.0 is looking very tempting or better yet, the 670 WM 5 Treo.
    As I said above, I've spent thousands on PPC software. I would say that a WM Treo or WM5 HP would need some tweaking as well. (But I would like to see a WM Treo.)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    this discussion is sounding like:

which is better, a radio or a television?
    completely different things.

the reason people are having such different rationalizations, is because the comparrison is really not a good one.
    iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    Maybe I'm just jaded being a new palm user and having to take on the finanical burden of trying to build a nice collection of apps after spending $600 on a treo. If I had been using Palm OS for years and already had most of the apps I need going into the $600 purchase, I'd probably share your perspective. Plus, I had a bunch of addition hardware purchases to make on top of that (leather pouch, bluetooth headset, 1 gb SD card, cradle)

Verichat was very stable on my blackbery 7230, the problem was with T-Mobile..I think. I could never say connected to the Verichat servers but the app never crashed or anything of that nature. Now I'm using Toccer for AIM and its suits me perfectly...seems stable enough and best of all, its free

At this point I don't know what to do. I didn't want to wait for the next treo but I'm sure I'll be switching soon after its released assuming it gets good reviews from the community. If its around $600..I might could get it for $200 (sell current treo 650 for around $200 on ebay plus my contract will be up and I'll get a nice little rebate from sprint to renew). Now I don't know much about Cobalt but I'm assuming its radically different then PalmOS 5 and thus will render many (all?) app purchases I make now useless and that would certainly be the case if the next Treo is WM5. Kind of like being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Sorry for the ramble
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    IMO, if you are not technically inclined and don't like messing around with software and other fixes, then head for the Blackberry.

I had an old man on the plane next to me the other day saying he was deciding between the Treo and the Blackberry. I asked him whether he was computer literate. He said no and that he didn't like fixing software and hardware problems on his home computer. I told him to buy the Blackberry.

I find it hard to recommend the Treo unless I know that the person can handle it.

It's like giving a 16 year old with a new license a high powered Porsche, it will end in tears.
    C'mon... This sounds like a Windows person patronizing an Apple one. As a technically-savvy user, I recognize that the Palm OS has fallen seriously behind and that developing for it has become less technically interesting and less financially rewarding.

BTW, I'm not arguing that the BB is a better device, overall, than the Treo; I was just noting that it is much more than a simplistic mail and phone device as some have characterized it. Actually, I've used all the platforms and I'm pretty sure my next several devices are likely to be either WinMobile or Symbian ones. Cheers to all.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    You forgot Snapper Enterprise Edition...
    $60 USD

Which, before Chatter ($30) was upgraded to pull down POP3, was the only game in town for "pulling" email from a GMail account like I do.

Of course, I only realized the virtues of Chatter's excellent "push" capabilities AFTER I switched to a Blackberry 7290.

The T650 rides shotgun, as my roving multimedia fun house , with:

* Assorted "The Daily Show", "The Sopranos", "24", and "Trigger Happy TV" episodes
    * JFK, MLK, my sister, and Jon Stewart sound clips
    * the integrated camera serves as my ONLY digi cam - and I love it so
    * a 1GB SD card with 30% of my frequented albums in MP3 and .ra
    * another 1GB SD card taped under the removable battery cover for the Treo
    , replete with a couple Hollywood movies in .avi and .mpg.
    * Lastly, my favorite movie of all time - OFFICE SPACE, encoded in .avi!
    Just started a new job and they issued me a BB 7250. I was hesitant, biased and jaded at first as a long time Treo user (Sprint Treo600 since October 2003). I have to say that while I still tote my Treo around, the BB 7250 is a good device. Its not nearly a stand alone device for me (which is the fundamental problem) but it does many important things very well. Adding an event, todo, contact or sending an email from my desktop is immediately reflected on the BB and vice versa. It helps that my company set it up this way and I'm sure Chatter and others can do similar with email but I found it handled the fundamentals easier then the Treo.

So, the Pros of the BB v the Treo:
    - Fundamentals (email, contacts, events, todos, phone, web) are flawless out of the box.
    - Wireless and immediate synching with email (respective folders), contacts, events, todos, notes, journal.
    - Keyboard is spaced better
    - Bluetooth works great and paired with my Acura immediately without the gaming that the Treo 650 required.
    - No resets after 2 months of heavy use.
    - Web experience is actually much faster on the same websites then what I'm used to on Blazer. Seems like a big difference.
    - One-handed use is very nice.
    - Processor (switching from app to app etc) seems much faster then my 600.

Cons of the BB v the Treo:
    - The form factor is awkward
    - NO DAMN SPEAKER PHONE OPTION
    - The screen sucks
    - Rolling the damn wheel gets old after a while.
    - Phone/voice quality picks up background noise more then Treo. Use the included headset and problems is solved.
    - Typing special characters and numbers is not as easy as Treo with KeyCaps.
    - Looks like a loaf of bread.
    - No voice recorder available
    - No Directory Assistant, TAKEphONE, 2day, pTunes, camera, Splashblog, Initiate, MicroQuad, mVoice, bla, bla, bla. The "convergence" device looses its utility without being able to expand on its capabilities.

So at the end of the day, I have to use the BB for my company but I'm not happy until I find ONE device that will do it all for me that the company will accept.
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
    Very nice summary, BeanTownT. I'd just add that the 7100t does have an excellent speaker phone and very bright screen.

The BB browser speed is exceptional and a very under-reported BB advantage.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeantownTreo600
    Just started a new job and they issued me a BB 7250. I was hesitant, biased and jaded at first as a long time Treo user (Sprint Treo600 since October 2003). I have to say that while I still tote my Treo around, the BB 7250 is a good device. Its not nearly a stand alone device for me (which is the fundamental problem) but it does many important things very well. Adding an event, todo, contact or sending an email from my desktop is immediately reflected on the BB and vice versa. It helps that my company set it up this way and I'm sure Chatter and others can do similar with email but I found it handled the fundamentals easier then the Treo.

So, the Pros of the BB v the Treo:
    - Fundamentals (email, contacts, events, todos, phone, web) are flawless out of the box.
    - Wireless and immediate synching with email (respective folders), contacts, events, todos, notes, journal.
    - Keyboard is spaced better
    - Bluetooth works great and paired with my Acura immediately without the gaming that the Treo 650 required.
    - No resets after 2 months of heavy use.
    - Web experience is actually much faster on the same websites then what I'm used to on Blazer. Seems like a big difference.
    - One-handed use is very nice.
    - Processor (switching from app to app etc) seems much faster then my 600.

Cons of the BB v the Treo:
    - The form factor is awkward
    - NO DAMN SPEAKER PHONE OPTION
    - The screen sucks
    - Rolling the damn wheel gets old after a while.
    - Phone/voice quality picks up background noise more then Treo. Use the included headset and problems is solved.
    - Typing special characters and numbers is not as easy as Treo with KeyCaps.
    - Looks like a loaf of bread.
    - No voice recorder available
    - No Directory Assistant, TAKEphONE, 2day, pTunes, camera, Splashblog, Initiate, MicroQuad, mVoice, bla, bla, bla. The "convergence" device looses its utility without being able to expand on its capabilities.

So at the end of the day, I have to use the BB for my company but I'm not happy until I find ONE device that will do it all for me that the company will accept.
    just a few corrections on the cons:

while the screen on my 7250 doesnt compare to the brightness of the 650, I think it's pretty nice. I do like the way you can see it in the direct sunlight at the lowest level.

my voice quality is great. I dont get as many "what did you say"

as for apps try BBToday (blows away any today screen for the Treo) Berry 411 Search (not DirAsst but works well) BBLight (take control of your backlight) Message Alerts (keeps reminding you) and a few more. All FREE!

I've found the BB to have a VERY stable OS, it's very tight. And maybe the best built hardware out there. I've already projected mine out of the holster and it bounced around on the concrete floor a few times, and not one scratch! Try that with the Treo.

The one great feature that a some people seem to overlook is the different profiles for "In and Out of Holster features".

and the email can't be touched by anything. Not even Chatter.

pro and cons, it all depends on your wants and needs. or if not sure buy both
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    just a few corrections on the cons:

while the screen on my 7250 doesnt compare to the brightness of the 650, I think it's pretty nice. I do like the way you can see it in the direct sunlight at the lowest level.

my voice quality is great. I dont get as many "what did you say"

as for apps try BBToday (blows away any today screen for the Treo) Berry 411 Search (not DirAsst but works well) BBLight (take control of your backlight) Message Alerts (keeps reminding you) and a few more. All FREE!

I've found the BB to have a VERY stable OS, it's very tight. And maybe the best built hardware out there. I've already projected mine out of the holster and it bounced around on the concrete floor a few times, and not one scratch! Try that with the Treo.

The one great feature that a some people seem to overlook is the different profiles for "In and Out of Holster features".

and the email can't be touched by anything. Not even Chatter.

pro and cons, it all depends on your wants and needs. or if not sure buy both

First, thanks for providing application names that could help this new BB user. One of my most used applications on my Treo is Directory Assistant so its good to know there is something similar available on the BB. Will also look into the Today app you've recommended. Your recommendations on this issue could help make my BB a Treo-replacement so I can finally carry one device instead of two.

Second, your comments on my cons-list are not "corrections" as you've termed them, but opinions. Not nit-picking, just clarifying.

I invite you to make a call on your Treo and then on your BB the next time you're in a busy airport terminal or in a public place with considerable ambient noise. Ask yourself which conversation was easier for you to hear and ask your participant which conversation was easier for them to hear. I've done this on more then one occasion and on 100% of attempts with a variety of people (family, clients, colleagues), the Treo transferred less surrounding noise through to the person on the other end of the phone and the conversation was therefore easier to have. But as I mentioned, with a good earpiece/mic combo, this issue goes away.

I share your opinions on stability, although my opinion may be premature whereas I haven't added many 3rd party apps yet. My Treo is loaded with them so I cannot make a fair comparison. And I agree with your point about the profiles for in and out of the holster. Very cool and it works out of the box.
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12