Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hi. i hope im in the right discussion area. Im going to be entering college this august and im looking at different phones. I have an offer from tmobile where i can get the treo 600 for 50 bucks or the razr for 50 bucks. It seems to me that theres no question that the treo is better. But the thing is... im not planning on getting any kind of data plan so i really wont have email or internet or those kinda priveleges on my treo. do you guys think its still worth it for me to get the treo? the razr, i think at least, would be smaller and a littler more convenient size wise. ive never had a pda in my life and im not sure how much use it would be for a college student. any advice would be great. thanks.
    Well, as a student, with the treo you can get the foldout keyboard and leave your laptop behind. You can get a keyboard for it on ebay for about 50 bucks and then use docs to go so that you can sync all your classnotes.

If that doesnt interest you and you only want a phone (and you don't want any third party software) then get the razr.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Even though i'm now a PPC user, I used the 600 for over a year and valued the treo 600 for the creativity and options it could be used for. the great thing about the treo is that with the treo you aren't limited to just using it for PHONE functions. Whether or not you have data/email with your wireless plan, you still can use a TON of Palm OS products and programs. Your needs/wants could be diet/calorie counting, Bible Software, listening to mp3s/wmas/oggs, game playing, appointments, diary, Document editing, photo viewer, etc. These are all available to Treo Palm OS users. Razr may have a few of these, but no keyboard. And in the end, it comes down to what can you use your phone/pda for? What can you do with your phone? How well will your phone work for you? I would indeed get the treo 600 over the Razr because it better fits my life, my lifestyle - to have more than a phone at my disposal - if i was faced with this question. The only thing I would do differently is get a case that fits on my belt, as the case the Palm ships the treo with is 80% useless.
    Good luck and tell us your decision!
  4.    #4  
    alright well thanks for your help guys... im still on the fence... i really wish the treo had wifi so i could get access almost anywhere on my campus without paying extra per month. I've heard of something called the sled that can give you wifi on a treo 600... is it really worth the $150? does it come any cheaper? i think i can still get the hp ipaq 6315 from tmobile for like $250 on a huge backorder but i dont know if thats worth it either.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Well, as a student, with the treo you can get the foldout keyboard and leave your laptop behind. You can get a keyboard for it on ebay for about 50 bucks and then use docs to go so that you can sync all your classnotes.

If that doesnt interest you and you only want a phone (and you don't want any third party software) then get the razr.
    My 18 year-old nephew has a Sidekick. My brother, his father, age 50, and I, age 70, both have Treos. His younger brother, age 14 wants a Treo. Go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by nightandweekend
    I've heard of something called the sled that can give you wifi on a treo 600... is it really worth the $150? does it come any cheaper? i think i can still get the hp ipaq 6315 from tmobile for like $250 on a huge backorder but i dont know if thats worth it either.
    Soo...you get the 600 for $50 and the sled for $150....you're still better off than $250 for a 6315.

Trust us - the 600 and 650 are the most phone like PDAs you'll find (the razr will let you make calls, that's it....the keyboard is the key). They have tons of support, with tons of freeware, with tons of oohs and ahhs when you show them around. The sled will allow you enough time to actually browse the web (or whatever it is that you do) because it has its own battery....the 6315 will run dry quicker than you expect.

The 600 and 650 are both excellent devices when it comes to student usage, but I'd prefer the 650 any day of the week, personally.
    You don't need to use the Treo as a smart phone. It's the cheapest mp3 you can get. You can find a 1gb SD card for under 70 bucks and you are good to go.

You don't need to use the PDA function. But Treo can get you online if need to.
  8.    #8  
    alright well thanks for all your help guys... im pretty sure uve conviced me into getting the treo... one question tho... this may be really stupid... but i was wondering if in the same manner the treo hooks up to a computer(wire one end in treo and one USB end in the comp) is there such a wire where one end is in treo and one ethernet end in a router solely for internet. thanks.
    I haven't seen one that plugs into a router before...but it would be a neat concept.

However, we've moved beyond wires these days; we've got bluetooth! If you buy a $43 bluetooth USB adapter (Amazon or NewEgg), you can go like 700 feet or so in any direction from that adapter and use a PC's internet connection. I just got mine on Friday, but haven't had time to set it up yet. Apparently it's fairly difficult from what I read....but I'll be able to tell you in a couple days or so.

Also, I just read in another thread that the Enfora sled is prolly a bust, so don't get your hopes up for it!!
    Take the Razr, young man. I think you're telling us all you really need is a phone, and a Razr is a cutting-edge phone. My guess is you will find a need for a PDA in college, and if you do, you'll be able to get a first-rate one at an academic price once you enroll. The Razr has Bluetooth, a great screen, voice-activated dialing, no ugly antenna, and it doesn't reset every other week/day/hour. The Razr at $50 is a much better deal than the Treo 600. Plus, arriving on campus with a sleek, cutting edge phone is much cooler than with a dated Treo model you won't have much use for. Only one word of caution: around here, I mostly see babes using Razrs. Is this just a chickphone? (Might you BE a chick?) I'm old enough to not give a hoot about such things, but a college freshman may need to think about it. BTW, how the heck did you get SUCH A DEAL?
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    The RAZR is a fashionable phone. WAS, 4-6 months ago. It's been played out becuase it has been down-marketed by both GSM carriers significantly. The Sony Erricson K750i should make a better fashion phone if you get it NOW, or the w600/w800. You can get it (K750) for free if you know where to look.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    The RAZR is a fashionable phone. WAS, 4-6 months ago. It's been played out becuase it has been down-marketed by both GSM carriers significantly. The Sony Erricson K750i should make a better fashion phone if you get it NOW, or the w600/w800. You can get it (K750) for free if you know where to look.
    I first read that as a "fashion phone." I contrasted that in my head with a "real phone," like the Treo. In any case they are hardly comparable.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    What I hear is, the RAZR has Motorola's much-hated and obsolete PIM software. Bengalboy has done a review of the RAZR on hofo:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=428896
  14.    #14  
    first off id just like to say that i already ordered the treo600 so i guess im one of you guys now...

Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    I haven't seen one that plugs into a router before...but it would be a neat concept.

However, we've moved beyond wires these days; we've got bluetooth! If you buy a $43 bluetooth USB adapter (Amazon or NewEgg), you can go like 700 feet or so in any direction from that adapter and use a PC's internet connection. I just got mine on Friday, but haven't had time to set it up yet. Apparently it's fairly difficult from what I read....but I'll be able to tell you in a couple days or so.

Also, I just read in another thread that the Enfora sled is prolly a bust, so don't get your hopes up for it!!
    ...please do tell me how that works out... i wonder if its something as easy as plugnplay so i can plug into someones laptop next to me and start getting a connection.. that'd be really sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    Take the Razr, young man. I think you're telling us all you really need is a phone, and a Razr is a cutting-edge phone. My guess is you will find a need for a PDA in college, and if you do, you'll be able to get a first-rate one at an academic price once you enroll. The Razr has Bluetooth, a great screen, voice-activated dialing, no ugly antenna, and it doesn't reset every other week/day/hour. The Razr at $50 is a much better deal than the Treo 600. Plus, arriving on campus with a sleek, cutting edge phone is much cooler than with a dated Treo model you won't have much use for. Only one word of caution: around here, I mostly see babes using Razrs. Is this just a chickphone? (Might you BE a chick?) I'm old enough to not give a hoot about such things, but a college freshman may need to think about it. BTW, how the heck did you get SUCH A DEAL?
    well to say again.. i already ordered the treo so i guess ur post a bit too late.. but its alright i probably wouldve gone for treo anyways.. second... lol.. the honeys will come once i graduate college..dont wanna get distracted too early(im probably jus telling that to myself now and ill go back on my word during orientation week)... last.. the deal is kind of a connection thing.. i wish i could tell you guys.. but im pretty sure id get in trouble.. and i dont wanna risk losing my deal(i really do sound like a freshman don't i)

well i guess ill be seeing you guys a lot more on this board once that phone ships.. thanks again
    Well... no one gave me credit for my "cutting edge" characterization of the Razr... get it? Hahaha -he says to himself...

Ok, college boy, but please know that you will no longer be eligible to post on the prestigious Other Handhelds, Phones, and Smartphones Forum... Enjoy the 600 and the many delights of a PDA.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    first off id just like to say that i already ordered the treo600 so i guess im one of you guys now...
    I think you would have been happy with either one.

That being said, I think the treo will give you more phone "to grow into". You can do a lot more with it is not as limited in functionality as the razr.

Plus, the bonus is this great forum and its wealth of knowledge.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Hey, MarkEagle: this thread is now about the 600 -Please move it out of our Other Handhelds, Phones, and Smartphones Forum!
    Bah! This is a Razr thread.
    Yes you are one of us now....WELCOME!! Congrats on the seelction and soon enough you'll understand why we could never go back to a "regular" phone. It's the keyboard man (well half of it, the other half is the internet access everywhere....but you can wait until you get a hi-res screen for that, maybe in another year or two).

...please do tell me how that works out... i wonder if its something as easy as plugnplay so i can plug into someones laptop next to me and start getting a connection.. that'd be really sweet
    I still haven't gotten around to attempting the reverse DUN setup...there's another thread here at TC (in the 650 section, I believe) that's straight up labled "Reverse DUN works!" or something like that. Just do a search here at TC for "reverse DUN" and you'll get all the info you need.

But to answer your question if it's as easy as plug and play....nope, otherwise I would have had time to do that already. You have to have the right drivers...the widcomm drivers. The USBBT100 adapter happens to come with them...but if you were lucky enough to convince somebody to let you install the driver/software his/her computer and tweak a few settings....it'd be plug & play for the rest of the semester/year/whatever. Just make sure you read all the threads on it and can get it to work on your own laptop first!!! Since I haven't done it yet, I dunno if I should even be recommending to install that on other computers....will have to ask others or gimme another couple days (been busy fixing stuff around the house, like ripping DVDs to Treo format, fixing a lotta plumbing in my house, have exam tomorrow for a summer class, etc.).

well i guess ill be seeing you guys a lot more on this board once that phone ships.. thanks again
    Yes we will. You'll definitely learn a lot around here, that's for sure!! I'll point you to a list of accessories I've already written that I'd recommend that you get....as soon as I get back. My girlfriend requires my attention.
    Just a word of advice...you're gonna want to buy a lot of accessories. Here's what I'd recommend:

-Single sync/charge cable (i got one with a usb to ac adapter AND a usb to dc adapter attachments for traveling purposes; found it at amazon)
    -Rugged Car Charger at TreoCentral Store (don't get that small connector because the coil tends to pull it outta the phone quite easily) [You could use the one above, but you'd have to remember to carry your cable from car to house to dorm to whatever...or you could use my handsfree car cradle idea written below (still not perfected - YET)]
    -Boxwave screen protectors (I personally chose the Anti-Glare kind)
    -3-in-1 (should really be called 2-in-1) pen styli (styluses)
    -[DOH - I just now realized that I had to edit my accessory list for the 600 and NOT the 650.....the 600 DOES NOT have bluetooth, which means no bluetooth internet/headset/keyboard/gps/etc. I apologize a thousand times for not keeping my advice in context. That's why I recommended you spend a little bit more and get the 650....but, you can still get on the internet with the cable, I believe, if you use a program called Softick PPP (Never used it myself, when I need to use the internet, I've just signed onto Sprint's data service so far)].
    -1 Gig SD card
    -SD card reader (if you've got a laptop that doesn't have one built in already, get a PCMCIA card reader if that slot's open; otherwise get usb one)
    -2.5mm to 3.5mm headset adapter, and not the "L" shaped one...the one with the short cord in the middle. Or you could get the $30 Seidio 2-in-1 hybrid adapter to use for music AND for cell phone usage...or flat-out buy the whole 2-in-1 "high-end" headset they just released...people seem to be having good luck with those now. You can find all of these adapters/headsets at the TreoCentral Store. (Personally, I use those $10 Sony earbuds from Wal-Mart, very comfortable and good quality...but I'm prolly going to try and find a decent pair of headphones for $30-100. I'm totally accepting suggestions, BTW)
    -I'd also recommend NOT getting a case. They're not worth it because the phone's pretty durable as it is. The Skin case sticks to the inside of your pocket when you try to pull it out and eGrips don't last long enough. Metal cases degrade signal quality, and Ivolution cases are to expensive. Just stick to putting it in your pocket and paying for insurance.
    -Also, I just added that you'll definitely want a fold-out keyboard. I haven't used mine yet as I'm an engineering student and haven't had the need to type in a class yet, but when I do, I assure you'll I'll be wearing cargo pants with a keyboard in one of those baggy pockets! You'll obviously have to use an Infra Red one....
    -(I doubt this next one will apply to you unless you're a commuter, I dunno) Recently I got the idea from others here to add a cable from my Treo to my car's cd player's Auxiliary input...that way I can play music from the SD Card, then when somebody gives me a buzz, the audio is automagically paused and I can answer...talking to the caller over my car's audio system. I found the cheapest cable for my CD Player (Pioneer DEH-P4700MP) at these two sites: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2084.html and http://www.installer.com/aux/. If you don't have the same luxury of having a deck unit with an auxillary input...there's always cassette adapters and FM wireless transmitters. You'll need to by a cradle for it as well, just so long as it has audio-out....there's one for like $33 after shipping on ebay and a Seidio Innodock one which might work better so long as it keeps the Treo still when I make sharp turns. I'll be writing a review on both of them as car cradles within a week or two (as soon as I get them).
    -Not accessory related, but I'd recommend getting State Farm PAP insurance on the phone ($30/yr, no deductible, money toward any phone you choose at that point in time) as it beats any carrier's insurance hands down. I'm not exactly sure what TMobile's insurance prices/service is like.....but in case you need a fall-back, State Farm's the way to go. It might even be the way to go if you can get TMobile....just search and/or ask some other TMobile users.

Again, I'm sorry about the bluetooth misinformation I mentioned earlier - I read a lotta threads at once, and I forgot that your options were the 600 and the razr.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast