1.    #1  
    I don't have one but often wondered if these were any good. I guess not. In my opinion, it's to big for a PDA and I wouldn't think of Palm OS as a great platform for gaming. Anyone have one and like it?

http://www.tapwave.com/
    Looks like the LifeDrive knocked it out of the running.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Is this a shock to anyone?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Prolly not....but all I know is that if it had a slide-out keyboard like the HTC Wizard. I'd definitely not be all about convergence devices just yet. Gotta have the keyboard to get my money.
    I think the problem is it's too big, and it doesn't do any one thing especially well.

The PSP is probably the final nail.
    The problem was support, or lack thereof from developers.

The device, though not something you might see in a Corporate setting was very innovative. 480X320 screen, 128MB RAM for the ZodII, (32MB for the ZodI), not one but two SD slots (one being SDI/O). Good sound, BT enabled. But the lack of games specifically for the Zodiac killed it.

The PSP though, probably did push it off the cliff.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    The device, though not something you might see in a Corporate setting was very innovative. 480X320 screen, 128MB RAM for the ZodII, (32MB for the ZodI), not one but two SD slots (one being SDI/O). Good sound, BT enabled.
    Exactly...had it had a slide-out keyboard, I would have considered it more innovative than the Treo 600 and taken that route with a BT-enabled cell phone. Provided that I could find a Sprint cell phone to pair it with for DUN. How many cell phones (excluding the 650) from Sprint have DUN bluetooth profiles anyway?? Was there only that T608?? And you couldn't even get Unlimited Vision with that, if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    But the lack of games specifically for the Zodiac killed it.
    Had they just added a keyboard and found a phone to pair it with for DUN usage.....support would have followed, they would have had first-mover advantage, and prolly beaten the crap outta Sony. Or at least could have...if they had the right marketing plan. Too many if's involved...I guess that's why it never happened.

The PSP though, probably did push it off the cliff.
    Since it didn't play out like that....yea, the PSP was more of a factor in pushing the Zodiac off the shelves than the LifeDrive...without a doubt.
    I still think it's pretty crazy how the original Palm chose to use a stylus as the input method of handheld devices - and it obviously wasn't just Palm, Apple did it first. It just took the market soooo long to come up with something better and much simpler in my opinion.
    Heh - yeah. Palm had almost no sales until they came up with that crazy keyboard idea (from RIM). Besides, the market had plenty of alternatives with keyboards, but they never caught on like the Pilot did (Casio B.O.S.S. series, HP 95/100/200 LX, WindowsCE). It took the combination of form and function with keyboard to make a difference. Someday, perhaps, voice recognition will finally work well and we'll all wonder why we put up with these crappy little keyboards for so long.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/000800.html

wow!! what a shocker! apparently the PSP has really taken the wind out of the zodiac's sails as far as competition.
    supposedly, there really hasn't been much game development for the zodiac since its release, so the company doesn't see a future in the handheld - what a shame.
    but actually, when you look at the PSP, its hard to imagine how a zodiac would put up much of a fight. another one bites the dust in the handheld hall of fame.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    ack! I didn't realize it had been posted already.
    Tapwave is the company that made the Zodiac, Tapland is an independent website for Zodiac users.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I stand twice corrected.
    <merged>
    The Zodiac is a nice palm. I was thinking about getting it and using it with my SE T68i but stuck with my Treo instead. It looks great, has some nice software for games, and can use wifi with doing a hard reset (the dual SD is awsome btw, i hope the next treo has a SDIO and a second mini flash (mini SD, Macro SD, whatever). That would be awsome.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    If only it had that qwerty keyboard we've all become too familiar with.