Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    We all have one eye open for a match for the Treo, and this phone seems to come closer than any in a while. Wifi (EVDO), BT (with HID profile), Windows Mobile, 86 megs of available data ROM, 57 megs of available RAM, QWERTY slider, and a tad smaller than the Treo. No camera. If I was buying today I'd give this a long look.

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/samsung-i730.htm
    I saw this at the verizon store and it was about $200 more expensive....But I like the treo better...I don't like the slide keyboard (but they had a bigger screen with it). Overall it did look nice
    Moved. Please post to correct forum.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    I saw this at the verizon store and it was about $200 more expensive....But I like the treo better...I don't like the slide keyboard (but they had a bigger screen with it). Overall it did look nice
    $200 gets you a lot more than the idiots at Palm. You get an extra extended battery, an actual cradle and other accessories including a much superior headset in comparison to the Palm one. This is also not including WiFi... although it does feel pricey, I agree...
    Hmm...if you hate Palm so much....get another handheld/smartphone already!!!! JEEZUMS!!

Let's go over the downsides of the i730, shall we...and then be the judge of if that extra "$200 gets you a lot more than the idiots at Palm" or not:

(1) How many markets is EV-DO available in??? Last I checked, it wasn't even close to as much as the first version of the 1xRTT network you use on your Treo (or perhaps you use EDGE?). So, EV-DO doesn't do much for most people...YET!! Once price stablizes and it truly becomes ubiquitous...The Sprint 700 and prolly even 750 or 800 will be out by that point.

(2) Also...how much are you going to have to pay for EV-DO versus Sprint's unlimited $10 plan!??!

(3) Is that slider reliable?? Haven't used it nor do I care. I use the keyboard A LOT...I use it to launch programs (I.e. hold X for calculator, hold C for Camera, hold W for Web, hold V for Versamail, hold P for PTunes, hold T for TCPMP...get the pic??) and obviously for typing, which I do a lot.

(4) The screen might be bigger...but it's got a poorer resolution. I love the pixel density of the Treo's screen...No other handheld has a 320x320 pixels in a 2" X 2" screen.

(5) The Treo still has a slightly smaller footprint, prolly a lot more if you don't include the Treo's antenna. Don't have an i730 in hand to really compare and contrast though.

(6) The Treo's battery life is prolly 2 to 3 times larger than the i730...and much longer if you decide you want to use the WiFi/EV-DO on the i730 often (but that's your choice). No wonder they give you an extra battery.

(7) The i730 has a 1.3 megapixal camera, but that doesn't mean jack if it doesn't have a good quality lens. I've seen comparisons of the two cameras and the 650 wins hands down.

(8) PPC has a few downfalls (honestly, prolly less than PalmSource, but i can deal with it since I've got free apps that work on Palm's excellent hardware) such as the 5-way not working very well....and then there's the lack of free software again....also the fact that you're contributing to that evil sith lord's empire!!

(9) It's more expensive than the Treo
    I'm waiting to see what Palm will come with next, but if Palm's next release does not offer features like WiFi (and compatibility with Slingbox) I might be picking something like the i730 up myself.

Bottom line is that feature for feature Palm is now behind.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Ditto Darnell. While fanboy raves about the Treo 650, I'm excited that Samsung already has a generation 1 phone with all of these features in it. I'm excited just thinking how good their second generation version of the i730 may be while Palm gets all giddy in their marketing materials over the fact that they added 32MB of RAM to their next Treo...
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    I'm waiting to see what Palm will come with next, but if Palm's next release does not offer features like WiFi (and compatibility with Slingbox) I might be picking something like the i730 up myself.
    Well...the Slingbox guy already said he's trying to get it to work with the 650, didn't he...over bluetooth?? Maybe I'm making it up, but I thought I read that. Even if it couldn't work...it would definitely work with EV-DO...whether you're going to pay $30/mo or $60/mo or whatever they charge when the 700 is out, is clearly up to you. Or if you decide to pick up another phone with Wifi is also up to you.

Bottom line is that feature for feature Palm is now behind.
    I disagree...Form factor is a feature. Better quality lens for pictures is a feature. Higher resolution screen is a feature. Reliability is a feature. Battery life is a feature. Available apps (especially free ones) is a feature. Integration of the 5-way in applications is a feature. Price is another feature. How about support base and forums (such as this one) being features.

Those features to me are MUCH more important than WiFi. And I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that they are also much more important to most other people looking for a phone they can use day in and day out.

In a few more months, the next Treo will offer even more features than what it currently does....completely trouncing the competition once again. I'm not denying that the competition is getting better and closing the gap...but feature for feature, Palm's still on top as of today.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Ditto Darnell. While fanboy raves about the Treo 650, I'm excited that Samsung already has a generation 1 phone with all of these features in it. I'm excited just thinking how good their second generation version of the i730 may be while Palm gets all giddy in their marketing materials over the fact that they added 32MB of RAM to their next Treo...
    Until you tell me exactly what it is you have on your Treo...I'm convinced that you have 5 Megs free and you're not actually affected by the "short" supply of RAM Palm provided for you!!!!!!!
    I have read the review (thanks Ree Nigne). If they are correct, then "1.75 hours of continuous use with the standard battery (screen brightness was set to medium)" is plenty of time to use JUST for wifi (let alone the fact that it comes with an extra battery that can be charged at the same time.

IMO, the 730 will do well (especially for MS/PPC users).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

From the review: "Yes, this means you won't be able to make or receive calls while using WiFi, and all incoming calls will go directly to voicemail."

I hope that answers your question t2 about receiving calls while using WiFi.

And when the battery lasts less than two hours AND you happen to be using this as your one convergence device for phone calls, mp3 player, not taker, voice recorder, web browser, email client, etc...you're going to be draining it quite often. I realize they give you two, because they're forced to. And the problem with that is you're supposed to keep the battery topped off as much as possible for longer life. So if you're forced to drain each battery to the pits...you're going to get shorter battery life, in the long-run type of battery life.
    Could anybody tell me how information is stored in this device while you remove the battery?? Is it NVFS? Another internal battery? Wha??
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Well...the Slingbox guy already said he's trying to get it to work with the 650, didn't he...over bluetooth??
    We'll see what happens but for now they have said it will work with a PPC in a few months. No timeline at all has been given for Palm. That is an empty statement. No timeline means no firm commitments at all. Could be 6 months, could be 2 years or they could decide never. They only said they are looking at it. I'm not sitting around to find out if the next Treo does not have WiFi. I really could care less what others want. For me the Treo is behind. No EVDO, No WiFi. I think that's why Treo owners want EVDO in the next Treo. So the Treo is behind. Otherwise you would have no need to say:
    In a few more months, the next Treo will offer even more features than what it currently does....completely trouncing the competition once again.
    You are contradicting your own statements.

What do you think, because you care about the camera, price, form and some other applications you'll somehow cause me to care about it too ? Think you can bring up enough things that are not EVDO, WiFi and Slingbox compatibility when those are my major concerns? You enjoy your camera. But if the next Treo does not come correct for me, then I'll be enjoying live broadcasts and DVR programs from a PPC. You can use your Treo to take a picture of me doing it .
    We'll see what happens but for now they have said it will work with a PPC in a few months. No timeline at all has been given for Palm. That is an empty statement. No timeline means no firm commitments at all. Could be 6 months, could be 2 years or they could decide never. They only said they are looking at it. I'm not sitting around to find out if the next Treo does not have WiFi.
    I don't blame you. I agree that it's not a firm commitment at all....but you're still going to have to wait for the PPC client also. By that time, you could get it on the 650 with EVDO. No way to predict the future.

You are contradicting your own statements.
    How so? I'm saying that the features like battery life, sceren resolution, form factor, support base, etc....are more important overall to more people than the features found in the i730. In a few more months...the next Treo will still have all those great features plus more. Hence, "completely trouncing the competition" in every respect, excluding WiFi, which most will get around with reverse DUN or EV-DO.

What do you think, because you care about the camera, price, form and some other applications you'll somehow cause me to care about it too ? Think you can bring up enough things that are not EVDO, WiFi and Slingbox compatibility when those are my major concerns? You enjoy your camera. But if the next Treo does not come correct for me, then I'll be enjoying live broadcasts and DVR programs from a PPC. You can use your Treo to take a picture of me doing it .
    I don't know what you care about. But if it's WiFi, as you've said, and I were you...I wouldn't be owning a Treo.
    Last year WiFi was not as important when I brought the T650. And back then nothing like the Slingbox existed. But you know, times change .

So I'm waiting to see what Palm comes up with. I'd like them to be able to suit my needs. I can wait a little while and see.

Once upon a time the Casio B.O.S.S. used to crush all competiton .
    ...also the fact that you're contributing to that evil sith lord's empire!!
    This shows no bias at all, right?
    I'm back!
    Reliability is a feature.
    You're right, it is.

But not for the Treo.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    This shows no bias at all, right?
    Who said I wasn't biased when it came to the OS I chose to use?
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    You're right, it is.

But not for the Treo.
    Mine's pretty friggin' reliable. I only get 1 or 2 resets a month, and I'm sure none of them have to do with the 1.12 ROM...mostly the apps that I chose to put on my phone.
    Mine's pretty friggin' reliable. I only get 1 or 2 resets a month, and I'm sure none of them have to do with the 1.12 ROM...mostly the apps that I chose to put on my phone.
    I wouldn't say that a phone, smartphone, or PDA that resets itself once or twice a month is "pretty friggin' reliable". I love my 650 but to say that it's occasional resets are OK is just naive. And it's taken 3 ROM revisions to get it that stable and usable. Functions that should've been in the original ROM are still being added. Don't portray the 650 as something it's not, there have been lots of hardware issues since it came out in November, some features were lacking or just didn't work right, and the OS isn't nearly as stable or forgiving as it should be, considering that PalmSource has been working on minor revisions in it for a while.

For the record, my Viewsonic V37 (MS) and Handspring Visor Deluxe (Palm) never reset. That's reliable. Neither my 600 nor 650 can make that claim.
    I'm back!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast