Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 63
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Who said I wasn't biased when it came to the OS I chose to use?
    Then I'm sure you can understand how Slinky feels.
    I'm back!
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    I wouldn't say that a phone, smartphone, or PDA that resets itself once or twice a month is "pretty friggin' reliable".
    No phone or pda has as many features as my smartphone...so I'm willing to cut some slack with Palm/PalmSource.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    And it's taken 3 ROM revisions to get it that stable and usable. Functions that should've been in the original ROM are still being added.
    I don't think stability was every really a focus of the revisions - excluding Versamail (that was totally worthless). NVFS was also another screw up. But it was their first device with NVFS, so I'm willing to cut them some slack again since it was fixed with a firmware upgrade. Palm definitely released it before doing some real testing, but again....I'm cutting them some slack since Handspring was the one who programmed/designed the phone initially. I just wanted the hi-res screen but I think I got a lot more before and after the updates.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    ....and the OS isn't nearly as stable or forgiving as it should be, considering that PalmSource has been working on minor revisions in it for a while.
    Yes, PalmSource never intended for their OS to be a full-fledged multi-tasking, networking, etc. device. That's why they're working on Palm Linux. I can only hope they have it finished within the next year so that I can buy it in the Treo's next two upgrades.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Then I'm sure you can understand how Slinky feels.
    Not really...slinky and I have typically argued about hardware tradeoffs more than the OS. Until WM5 comes out...I still say that Garnet is better for multiple reasons, regardless of who's getting my money.
  4. #24  
    Having to turn off the phone to use wi-fi is so silly. Also, such poor battery life for any portable device is another non-starter. Now we can see why HP compromised on processor speed for the h6315. If the tradeoff is necessary, I'll take battery life. The h6315 had serious flaws, but it did have excellent, dynamic wi-fi functionality. I'm holding on to my limited but highly portable and reliable 7100t (zero resets in four months, BTW) until one of these guys gets it right.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Well...the Slingbox guy already said he's trying to get it to work with the 650, didn't he...over bluetooth?? Maybe I'm making it up, but I thought I read that. Even if it couldn't work...it would definitely work with EV-DO...whether you're going to pay $30/mo or $60/mo or whatever they charge when the 700 is out, is clearly up to you. Or if you decide to pick up another phone with Wifi is also up to you.

    I disagree...Form factor is a feature. Better quality lens for pictures is a feature. Higher resolution screen is a feature. Reliability is a feature. Battery life is a feature. Available apps (especially free ones) is a feature. Integration of the 5-way in applications is a feature. Price is another feature. How about support base and forums (such as this one) being features.

    Those features to me are MUCH more important than WiFi. And I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that they are also much more important to most other people looking for a phone they can use day in and day out.

    In a few more months, the next Treo will offer even more features than what it currently does....completely trouncing the competition once again. I'm not denying that the competition is getting better and closing the gap...but feature for feature, Palm's still on top as of today.
    You dare use the word reliability and treo in the breath and try to imply the Treo is reliable ?? I have owned pretty much every smart phone on the planet and the Treo resets more often then all the others combined, even after a hard reset and installing NOTHING it will reset at odd times. You have to hit the damn on button twice very frequently to get responce, i mean come on the Treo is an awesome device but don't ever call it "reliable"

    I am pretty sure the next treo is more then a few months away, 320x320 vs 320x240 does not really qualify as "higher resolution" Nice try tho .. Its just a square screen .. i much prefer the portrait screen, it is in the proper ratio for using other pc apps with.

    PocketPC has a **** load of apps including better support for all the common apps like Word/Excel/Powerpoint, Money, Streets & Trips, flawless video playback. Anything you can do on a PC you can do on the Samsung, this is not true of the Treo.

    I have no idea what you are talking about in regards to the 5 way it must be about a different phone. The 5 way on the Samsung is flawless in operation, it never misses a beat.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    Having to turn off the phone to use wi-fi is so silly. Also, such poor battery life for any portable device is another non-starter. Now we can see why HP compromised on processor speed for the h6315. If the tradeoff is necessary, I'll take battery life. The h6315 had serious flaws, but it did have excellent, dynamic wi-fi functionality. I'm holding on to my limited but highly portable and reliable 7100t (zero resets in four months, BTW) until one of these guys gets it right.
    What the hell is your complaint again ? Samsung SHIPS the unit with 2 batteries you dont pay extra you get the 1100mah and the 1700mah which provides just as much runtime as the Treo.

    Wifi + Phone + screen + processor is a massive battery drain, and theres really little use for it. Seriously what real life situations are you going to be wanting to use the wifi and phone at the same time anyway. Its a lot like how TomTom disables the phone when your using GPS .. its not a big deal and i think its a benefit.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    No phone or pda has as many features as my smartphone...so I'm willing to cut some slack with Palm/PalmSource.

    I don't think stability was every really a focus of the revisions - excluding Versamail (that was totally worthless). NVFS was also another screw up. But it was their first device with NVFS, so I'm willing to cut them some slack again since it was fixed with a firmware upgrade. Palm definitely released it before doing some real testing, but again....I'm cutting them some slack since Handspring was the one who programmed/designed the phone initially. I just wanted the hi-res screen but I think I got a lot more before and after the updates.

    Yes, PalmSource never intended for their OS to be a full-fledged multi-tasking, networking, etc. device. That's why they're working on Palm Linux. I can only hope they have it finished within the next year so that I can buy it in the Treo's next two upgrades.
    Uh .. what are you talking about ? The Samsung has every feature of the Treo, plus considerably more. So how can you say no other phone has more features ?
  8. #28  
    I had a chance to play with the i730 phone last weekend. Let me start by saying that I am a die hard Treo fan, I bought teh 600 the day it came out, I bought the 650 the day it came out and have convinced about 10 people to buy them.

    That being said, the i730 is awesome. Although I didn't get more than 5 minutes to play with it, I did do some comparisons. The size is EXACTLY the same between the treo and the i730. The i730 may be a millimeter or two thicker, but nothing noticeable. The larger screen is very nice to have, and the slide out keyboard is easy to type on, almost as easy as the Treo (might be 'almost' because I am used to the 650's keyboard). The wifi only works when the phone is off but my friend did mention that there is a hack floating around that allows the wifi to be on while the phone is on - but I can't confirm that until I see it myself.

    I can't talk about stability since I only had it for 5 minutes but I would like to spend more time working with it.

    If Sprint offered this phone, I would definetly buy it.
  9. sledgie's Avatar
    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #29  
    The interesting thing about this whole battery drain issue is that if the i730 gets the WM5 update, it may dramatically increase the battery life. From what i've read, one of the stipulations for wm2003se and before was that it was imperative to warn the user 48-72 hours before the battery would drain itself completely and erase all info on device. that being said, the battery would have to live 2-3 days and not lose its data. Now with the introduction of WM5 and where it will store and HOW it will store it's info, that stipulation has been removed from what i've read.
    As for wifi being on/phone being off, i do find it silly. however, when i've used wifi (sd card) on my ppc6600, if i received a call and spoke more than 3-5 minutes, the wifi would break its connection. i'm not sure if it's because i'm on 1900pcs and the wifi interferes with that, but that was the nature of it. however, i was able to receive calls, and that is key.
    i also want to say that from the treo crowd, there has been a lot of misinformation here about this device. I once owned a treo, i was a big promoter of it and spread the wealth and knowledge of running a shoutcast server, using vnc to use your computer at home, looking for better players than what use to be Mplayer. However, until you own the device and use it for more than 5-15 minutes, you really cant get a grasp on it. I do not like hearing or reading for that matter people comment on how poor the battery life is, or how they only include a 1100mAH battery, when there is also a 1700 included. The fact of the matter is, if you haven't noticed Palm has religiously shortcut people since the introduction of the 600. What did the 600 offer? 1 bud earpiece, 1 usb cable connector, 1 rapid charger, 1 stylus, and 1 "case" that doesn't even have a belt clip. What did a lot of folk do? They went out and bought cases, chargers, cradles, stereo/earpieces. And then came along the 650: new charger, new connector, new everything. Most of these other companies will offer MORE for your money, and i think Samsung does a good job stepping up to the plate with the extra batteries. They approach it two ways: one for the subtle user, one for the medium to heavy user. Let me tell you, until i opened up my ppc6600 from sprint in november, i never knew smartphones came with cradles, or stereo earpieces, or extra stylus', or screen protectors, or carrying cases that fit on your belt. And to me, without having to go out and spend more money, speaks volumes of the type of support/relationship you have with the customer. Windows mobile 2003se, while not perfect, has come LEAPS and bounds from what it used to be. Windows Mobile 5 will further that journey and hopefully in the right ways. So while the i730 may not be perfect, don't tell them they have poor battery life with wifi when the treo is probably just, if not more, the same, if it could use wifi. There are a lot of advantages and options the i730 has over the treo 650, there are some it doesn't. but dont bash the product when you dont use it just for the sake of the treo
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    What the hell is your complaint again ? Samsung SHIPS the unit with 2 batteries you dont pay extra you get the 1100mah and the 1700mah which provides just as much runtime as the Treo.

    Wifi + Phone + screen + processor is a massive battery drain, and theres really little use for it. Seriously what real life situations are you going to be wanting to use the wifi and phone at the same time anyway. Its a lot like how TomTom disables the phone when your using GPS .. its not a big deal and i think its a benefit.
    Its a very simple complaint, battery life sucks on the I730. It doesn't matter that Samsung ships the unit with 2 batteries, I'm definitely not carrying around a 2nd battery and I'm most certainly not strapping that huge extended one onto the back of my I730. Part of the allure of the I730 is all the features that are jam-packed into it in such a portable package but if you can only use those features for a set amount of time that isn't long enough to last you throughout the day, all those features don't do you any good. For me, having to carry the extended battery or using the extended battery as my primary battery detracts from one of the main reasons I got the I730 in the 1st place, its small size.

    Simultaneous use of wifi and phone is a concern for many people. For example, I am hesitant to use wifi not only because of the battery drain, but because I may miss a phone call. So if I can't use wifi to be productive (which is a reason I got the I730) because I might miss an important phone call, wifi is almost useless to me when in fact it could be a real productivity booster if Verizon hadn't altered it so it is a concern
    Last edited by Martin02; 08/03/2005 at 11:56 AM.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    Uh .. what are you talking about ? The Samsung has every feature of the Treo, plus considerably more. So how can you say no other phone has more features ?
    Seriously, just because the I730 may fit you well doesn't it mean it has every feature the Treo has. How about ease of one-handed navigation? Very poor compared to the 600/650. How about a camera? Or a number lock feature or BT DUN? Not to mention battery life as well! Really, the I730 is a great device and is infinitely more powerful than the 650 but the things I listed above, these are all features as well, important ones I might add and ones that the I730 lacks and thus why the I730 isn't for everyone. You may not need those features but other people do and this is why its great we have choices, no need to proclaim one phone is better than the other, its all based on what feature set we value most in our smartphone.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin02
    Its a very simple complaint, battery life sucks on the I730. It doesn't matter that Samsung ships the unit with 2 batteries, I'm definitely not carrying around a 2nd battery and I'm most certainly not strapping that huge extended one onto the back of my I730. Part of the allure of the I730 is all the features that are jam-packed into it in such a portable package but if you can only use those features for a set amount of time that isn't long enough to last you throughout the day, all those features don't do you any good. For me, having to carry the extended battery or using the extended battery as my primary battery detracts from one of the main reasons I got the I730 in the 1st place, its small size.

    Simultaneous use of wifi and phone is a concern for many people. For example, I am hesitant to use wifi not only because of the battery drain, but because I may miss a phone call. So if I can't use wifi to be productive (which is a reason I got the I730) because I might miss an important phone call, wifi is almost useless to me when in fact it could be a real productivity booster if Verizon hadn't altered it so it is a concern
    So your argument against the i730 is that you can use wifi and phone at same time .. fair enough .. your solution is .. to use a treo which has no wifi at all ?

    And sorry, you apparently havent used the 730 with extended battery, the additional bulk is almost unnoticeable. Sorry if you feel this isn't an "option" Samsung gives you the choice to use the phone how you want to.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin02
    Seriously, just because the I730 may fit you well doesn't it mean it has every feature the Treo has. How about ease of one-handed navigation? Very poor compared to the 600/650. How about a camera? Or a number lock feature or BT DUN? Not to mention battery life as well! Really, the I730 is a great device and is infinitely more powerful than the 650 but the things I listed above, these are all features as well, important ones I might add and ones that the I730 lacks and thus why the I730 isn't for everyone. You may not need those features but other people do and this is why its great we have choices, no need to proclaim one phone is better than the other, its all based on what feature set we value most in our smartphone.
    I apologize if it sounded like I was stating that one phone was for everyone, that was not my intention.

    One handed operation on the 650 is better, i will grant this. However i find typing, and more importantly ACCURATE typing to be much better on the 730.

    Battery life is the same with the extended battery .. you get a dock with the 730 =) The 730 works much better as a phone, much better volume, quicker dialing, less delay.

    My overall point is the i730 works better as a phone, and easily meets if not exceeds the 650 in PIM management. And then it has a whole slew of features due to its MS OS that Treo will never be able to match. Now if you need a phone with a camera .. yep the i730 doesnt have it and this obviously wont meet your needs =) Myself i found the camera on the 650 lackluster at best and fairly useless in most circumstances.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    So your argument against the i730 is that you can use wifi and phone at same time .. fair enough .. your solution is .. to use a treo which has no wifi at all ?

    And sorry, you apparently havent used the 730 with extended battery, the additional bulk is almost unnoticeable. Sorry if you feel this isn't an "option" Samsung gives you the choice to use the phone how you want to.
    I didn't say using a treo with no wifi was the solution, simply that no simultaneous wifi and voice was an issue. True, its better to have crippled wifi than to have no wifi at all but if I'm going to put down the money to get a phone with wifi (which I have), I feel that I should be able to use it with voice at the same time. At least with the Treo, I would get a notification that I have a voicemail waiting between browsing web pages, using wifi on the I730 means no voice radio at all and thus no notifications until you turn the phone back on.

    Please don't tell what I have/have not used with my I730. The extended battery is literally double the size of the standard battery, I hardly call that "unnoticeable". I mean, put the standard battery into the battery slot on the I730 then strap on another standard battery behind it and you've got the size of the extended battery. There's always room for a difference of opinion but honestly, twice the size is anything but "unnoticeable."

    And yes, Samsung does give you choices but lacking from those choices is to use the phone how I want to. I don't feel I should have to carry around an extra battery or be close to a charger, I don't feel I should have to compromise on the size of the device by using a bigger battery, and I do feel I should be able to make it through at least a single day of moderate to heavy use with the standard battery and those three requirements of mine (which I hardly feel are unreasonable, every other smartphone I've owned has met them) are not offered together in any SINGLE Samsung option for use of the I730. Its either limit your use of the device to save battery life, carry an extra battery, or add some extra bulk to your phone with the extended battery. Those are hardly choices in my book.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by riekl

    Battery life is the same with the extended battery .. you get a dock with the 730 =) The 730 works much better as a phone, much better volume, quicker dialing, less delay.

    My overall point is the i730 works better as a phone, and easily meets if not exceeds the 650 in PIM management. And then it has a whole slew of features due to its MS OS that Treo will never be able to match. Now if you need a phone with a camera .. yep the i730 doesnt have it and this obviously wont meet your needs =) Myself i found the camera on the 650 lackluster at best and fairly useless in most circumstances.
    Now let's compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges. Treo standard battery (no extended one is available that I am aware of) gives a longer battery life than the i730's standard battery. True, the I730 has more pwer requirements but if all we're talking is battery life here, the 650 has the longer battery life.

    As far as use as a phone goes, we'll just have to agree to disagree here because I clearly think the 650 is the better phone. First thing is voicemial/missed call notifications. I730 uses that horrible WM phone application with that stupid bubble that you have to constantly check to see what its trying to tell you whereas the 650 makes no mistake and lets you know exactly what its trying to tell you with a nice full screen alert window. The idea of having to purchase Phone Alarm to get the same basic phone functionality on the I730 that came builtin with the 650 is just ridiculous to me. True, the I730 ships with more standard capabilities than the 650 but something as essential/basic as phone software, that's just inexcusable in my book. Every single option in the 650's phone app is accessible via one-handed navigation, from contact lookup to call log dispaly to one-handed dialing, never need the stylus. A lot of this stuff can be done one-handed on the I730 as well but not all of it. And getting that notification on the I730 that I need to put the data mode into "dormant" before I can make a phone call, that's ridiculous. 650 does this automatically.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin02
    Now let's compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges. Treo standard battery (no extended one is available that I am aware of) gives a longer battery life than the i730's standard battery. True, the I730 has more pwer requirements but if all we're talking is battery life here, the 650 has the longer battery life.

    As far as use as a phone goes, we'll just have to agree to disagree here because I clearly think the 650 is the better phone. First thing is voicemial/missed call notifications. I730 uses that horrible WM phone application with that stupid bubble that you have to constantly check to see what its trying to tell you whereas the 650 makes no mistake and lets you know exactly what its trying to tell you with a nice full screen alert window. The idea of having to purchase Phone Alarm to get the same basic phone functionality on the I730 that came builtin with the 650 is just ridiculous to me. True, the I730 ships with more standard capabilities than the 650 but something as essential/basic as phone software, that's just inexcusable in my book. Every single option in the 650's phone app is accessible via one-handed navigation, from contact lookup to call log dispaly to one-handed dialing, never need the stylus. A lot of this stuff can be done one-handed on the I730 as well but not all of it. And getting that notification on the I730 that I need to put the data mode into "dormant" before I can make a phone call, that's ridiculous. 650 does this automatically.
    Martin -- I already conceeded the point on one handed navigation .. yes its easier on the Treo point granted.

    But the phone use you just can't give to the treo. For me getting from taking the treo out of its holster to getting a ring at the number i'm calling takes 1 - 1.5 MINUTES. Horrible lag time in the phone application just horrid. The i730 is very snappy hit your contact hit call and in less then 5 seconds you have a ring.

    In addition the volume on the treo is horrible .. i have it cranked all the way up and pressing the phone to my ear i can barely get a useable volume out of the phone. The i730 i can't turn up past 1/2 way or it is to loud. Both are about the same in terms of "voice quality" but if you cant hear the person adequately what can you do ? The i730 can also record calls in progress, very handy if someone is reading you some numbers or information you dont have to grab a pen and paper you just hit record and playback later at your convience.

    So the Treo has better one handed navigation .. but the i730 is a better "phone" both in placing calls and in handling the conversation itself. This is actually the primary reason I am switching, I have had my 650 since Feb and just got my i730 on Monday however I find myself a very very happy camper. My device does not reset every day, i can make calls quickly and effortlessly, voice dialing via BT works !! huge bonus ! In addition to a screen about 75% larger which comes in real handy for GPS navigation.

    The only tradeoff to me is the one handed operation, and the majority of that can easily be customized into the applications with custom buttons and settings.

    Oh and there is a hack to use voice and 802.11 at the same time.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    You dare use the word reliability and treo in the breath and try to imply the Treo is reliable ?? I have owned pretty much every smart phone on the planet and the Treo resets more often then all the others combined, even after a hard reset and installing NOTHING it will reset at odd times. You have to hit the damn on button twice very frequently to get responce, i mean come on the Treo is an awesome device but don't ever call it "reliable"
    Umm...I'll say it again if you really want me to!! The Treo 650 is EXTREMELY reliable!! 2 or 3 resets a month ain't that bad....and most of my resets, if not all of them, come from using a free emulater called LJP. Other than that I prolly only get a single reset a month. That's friggin' reliable considering how much I use this thing. Most resets, if not all of them, come from external Palm apps....not what's found on a stock Treo.

    Yes, it's crappy that applications can cause the OS to shut down just like Win 95/98....but those applications are a lot more stable than Windows applications, by a lightyear.

    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    I am pretty sure the next treo is more then a few months away, 320x320 vs 320x240 does not really qualify as "higher resolution" Nice try tho .. Its just a square screen .. i much prefer the portrait screen, it is in the proper ratio for using other pc apps with.
    How are you sure that the Next Treo is more than a few months away?? Do you have an article? Inside information? Wha?

    And..."not really qualify as 'higher resolution'"??? WHA?? HUH?? 80x320 = 1/4th of the Treo's screen!! Or in other words....the 650's screen has 33% more pixels than PPC phones. Not to mention the fact that the 650's screen is smaller, which leads to greater pixel density, which means clearer pictures. I've never met anybody who wasn't floored by this screen. And portrait screens are terrible...I'd prefer a widescreen over anything (but still, a square over portrait)!! GIMME MY CLAMSHELL ALREADY!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    PocketPC has a **** load of apps including better support for all the common apps like Word/Excel/Powerpoint, Money, Streets & Trips, flawless video playback. Anything you can do on a PC you can do on the Samsung, this is not true of the Treo.
    Right...What exactly do you mean by better support? I know that more people own a 650, so they're guaranteed to get better support. Plus there are a **** load of FREE apps that serve me perfectly fine, ALSO a **** load of developers that contribute to many requests of 650 users. What exactly can you do on your Samsung that I can't do on my Treo?? I can read Word/Excel/Powerpoint/PDF files with no conversion. I personally have no need to edit those types of files when a tiny screen...but if I did, I'd use some kinda basic notetaking program like PsMemo or SiED perhaps. I'd stick to my desktop until we have UWB technology to allow us to replace desktops with smartphones. What else...I've got a free video player that doesn't skip a beat, and free software for DVD ripping/conversion as well. Examples, please - of what I can't do on my Treo that you can do on an i730, or your PC for that matter!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    I have no idea what you are talking about in regards to the 5 way it must be about a different phone. The 5 way on the Samsung is flawless in operation, it never misses a beat.
    I doubt it....I've already heard others mention repeatedly that it can't compare to the 650's 5-way navigation.
  18. #38  
    How does Microsoft become an evil empire in people's heads? Never really understood that whole attitude. I'm sure many have their manifesto's ready to go on the subject. Is it because of success that stifles the cottage industry in this business?

    The I730 looks like a great phone, I sent the link to someone that is looking. I'll stick with the Treo platform at this point though, do not want to change what works.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    But the phone use you just can't give to the treo. For me getting from taking the treo out of its holster to getting a ring at the number i'm calling takes 1 - 1.5 MINUTES. Horrible lag time in the phone application just horrid. The i730 is very snappy hit your contact hit call and in less then 5 seconds you have a ring.
    That was an NVFS issue. I believe that all carriers have now addressed this problem. I've got Sprint, so this hasn't been an issue for a long time now. It's not that snappy to slide the keyboard out and then dial a contact. With the treo I hit the green button twice and instantly press my contact's initials....like JB for Jeff Black. Then hit send. I seriously doubt that it could get any easier than that....but I'm waiting to be corrected.

    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    In addition the volume on the treo is horrible .. i have it cranked all the way up and pressing the phone to my ear i can barely get a useable volume out of the phone. The i730 i can't turn up past 1/2 way or it is to loud. Both are about the same in terms of "voice quality" but if you cant hear the person adequately what can you do ? The i730 can also record calls in progress, very handy if someone is reading you some numbers or information you dont have to grab a pen and paper you just hit record and playback later at your convience.
    I can hear my callers just fine. But for the elderly, Jeff Gibson has released a program called VolumeCare for $10 that enables you to adjust the microphone and all speakers to acceptable volume levels. Sure it should have been included with the phone, but decent 5-way support should have been included with PPC phones, now shouldn't it??

    If you want a call recorder....you can get one for free on the 650. SoundRec will record calls whenever you put it on speakerphone or use Seidio's 2-in-1 hybrid adapters, or the 2-in-1 headsets. Clearly it's less than ideal when you're just talking on the headset but it's perfectly possible for free. The speakerphone option is more than acceptable, tho, for recording a phone number. Heck, when I want to write down a phone number tho, I don't use a pen....I never use a pen anymore. I've gotta friggin' thumbboard/keypad on my phone. I just open up MemoPad and type away. I'm more of a visual person than a verbal person, so YMMV.

    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    So the Treo has better one handed navigation .. but the i730 is a better "phone" both in placing calls and in handling the conversation itself. This is actually the primary reason I am switching, I have had my 650 since Feb and just got my i730 on Monday however I find myself a very very happy camper. My device does not reset every day, i can make calls quickly and effortlessly, voice dialing via BT works !! huge bonus ! In addition to a screen about 75% larger which comes in real handy for GPS navigation.
    A larger screen doesn't mean it could fit any more information on there. I've got a 10" laptop....that has a zoom button on the side of the screen to switch from 1280x768 to 800x600. Which resolution do you thing shows more information???

    As for your resets...I'd suggest you use Crash Pro for a bit to find out what causes them.

    As for the bluetooth headset issue...I could imagine voice dialing from the headset being very useful. However, I think bluetooth headsets are a waste of money, but clearly that's my personal preference. If I were on the phone 24/7 and used it as a business tool...I'm sure I'd have a different response to that. But I'll stick with a hands-free solution in the car and posibly a 2-in-1 hybrid after awhile.

    BTW...voice dialing from the bluetooth headset is possible if you pay for your carrier's voice dialing option. Clearly it's expensive with a recurring fee of $5/mo....but, it's possible just to let you know. I could be mistaken, but I think I even read another way of getting voice dialing to work....but yea, I was prolly misreadin' it!

    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    The only tradeoff to me is the one handed operation, and the majority of that can easily be customized into the applications with custom buttons and settings.
    I named almost 10 things above that puts the i730 under the 650 in my books. Maybe you should take a look at them....those really are important features to the majority of people who want a cellphone, even more considering it's an expensive smartphone.

    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    Oh and there is a hack to use voice and 802.11 at the same time.
    I wouldn't even use WiFi to begin with, so this wouldn't concern me. I'm typically around a desktop/laptop when at home/school/wherever....I'd much rather browse the web with a large screen and keyboard than that phone. When I use the internet on this phone, it's when I'm stranded and don't have an address/directions, a phone number, when I'm in isolation, or whatever it may be. I'm sure that some people NEED wifi on a handheld/smartphone...and those people will HAVE to get PPC or an overpriced Palm handheld. But the number of people who NEED wifi are pretty small....so, you're stuck with PPC for now.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by robangel
    How does Microsoft become an evil empire in people's heads? Never really understood that whole attitude. I'm sure many have their manifesto's ready to go on the subject. Is it because of success that stifles the cottage industry in this business?
    It's merely his place in the force. You've got good/evil, love/fear, love/money, liberal/conservative, selfless/selfish, white/black, etc.....He happens to be evil!! He stole work from Jobs - fact. He then marketed it and proceeded to become the richest person in the world off of ideas that weren't his (excluding the marketing plan). He's greedy, selfish, evil, afraid, etc. There is no way in hell that you can deny any of those adjectives when it comes to describing Bill Gates. When you're on top, there's no where to go but down.

    Anyway...yea, you pretty much answered your own question. Large companies do stifle innovation. Always (well, not ALWAYS...we can't generalize now can we...but the MAJORITY of the time, oh yea!). They're more concerned about their profit and loss statement as opposed to what they can do better. When you're on the bottom, there's no where to go but up.

    It's the force, guys...come on!! You can't ever read too much into Star Wars.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions