Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70
  1.    #1  
    The latest release in the PPC-6xxx line is going to released in August.....which if translated probably means by the end of 2009. No details yet, but full of rumors. It would totally cool if it was the HTC Universal, but more than likely it will be basically the PPC-6600 with the EVDO software upgrade for it.

    There will also be a software upgrade for the PPC-6600 to enable the built in EVDO hardware. There have been rumors that Sprint is thinking about charging full phone price for the upgrade.....though I would seriously question the wisdom if Sprint actually thought they could pull that off.

    I will post more as more news because available for this phone.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 07/26/2005 at 02:21 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Over at PDAphoneHome someone noticed that the PPC-6700 showed up on web speed test results:

    Mobile speed test
    http://www.broadbandreports.com/mspeed?results=1

    507 0.772s (600k) spcsdns.net Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; SprintPC-6700; PPC; 240x320)
    There some test units out there at the moment.
  3. #3  
    Hey Hobbes -

    i) Do you know of something like the 6600 but with higher screen res?
    ii) What's out there for a full feature PalmOS PDA besides the flawed T5 and Lifedrive? If I don't buy the 6600 I'm leaning to a separate phone+pda. I would stay with PalmOS if there's something decent to run it on. I'm aware the 6600 is PPC.

    - tx
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    The latest release in the PPC-6xxx line is going to released in August.....which if translated probably means by the end of 2009. No details yet, but full of rumors. It would totally cool if it was the HTC Universal, but more than likely it will be basically the PPC-6600 with the EVDO software upgrade for it.

    There will also be a software upgrade for the PPC-6600 to enable the built in EVDO hardware. There have been rumors that Sprint is thinking about charging full phone price for the upgrade.....though I would seriously question the wisdom if Sprint actually thought they could pull that off.

    I will post more as more news because available for this phone.
    Keep us updated on the rumors. How have you liked the 6600? Whats the cheapest price on it right now (especially if it can be upgraded to evdo?)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  5.    #5  
    I must say that after a little over 9 months, I am still VERY impressed with it. In fact I plan on keeping my PPC-6600 for at least another 8-10 months.......for someone like me who usually upgrades every 8-10 months, that is saying a lot for power, easy of use, software selection, etc...for the PPC-6600.

    Then next spring I plan on seeing what is out there. Of course, if something truely great comes along, like the HTC Universal or a truely advanced Treo 700, that time frame may be cut short.

    i) Do you know of something like the 6600 but with higher screen res?
    There are lots of PPC pda's with VGA screens...but none that I know about with a phone. You might want to check out the specs on the i730 just to make sure.

    It is true that the Treo 650 has a higher resolution. But believe me when I say that the extra screen real estate with the ability to go Landscape while browsing the net, reading a spreadsheet, watching a movie, or playing certain games....IMHO far out weighs the differences in resolution. It all comes down to personal preference and what you want to do with it.

    ii) What's out there for a full feature PalmOS PDA besides the flawed T5 and Lifedrive?
    There are probably others here more qualified to answer this question than I am. I can only give the perspective on the Treo 600 & 650 for Palm devices.

    If I don't buy the 6600 I'm leaning to a separate phone+pda. I would stay with PalmOS if there's something decent to run it on. I'm aware the 6600 is PPC.
    Having a seperate phone & pda is always an option, but losing all the advantages of having a full convergence device would be HUGE disadvantage IMHO. It would drive me batty to not be able to just jump browse the net, send an email, reply to SMS, and answer a call while switching from one device to the other. But there are many here that have found it to be a successful solution for them.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I must say that after a little over 9 months, I am still VERY impressed with it. In fact I plan on keeping my PPC-6600 for at least another 8-10 months.......for someone like me who usually upgrades every 8-10 months, that is saying a lot for power, easy of use, software selection, etc...for the PPC-6600.
    Hey Hobbes! Its been awhile... what have I missed...?
    I'm still goin strong on mine as well and love it, 6 mos. now, I think I got the camera one shortly after you did when they first came out.

    Anyway, figgered I'd check back and ride the wave to d-day when sprint rolls out the evdo in august... wonder what will happen with my ppc?



    Anyway, good to see you are still goin strong. They oughta give you an award.

    *sparks*
  7.    #7  
    Here are some pictures of a guy who claims he has test model:

    http://forum.xda-developers.com/view...795874fc70d316
  8.    #8  
    Here are some pictures of the reported PPC-6700 from the link above:

    Here are a couple of pictures. I have been to busy to do much with it to give any more detail. I promise that I will get some screen shots and try to give a good review of it. Here the specs from the Settings Hardware info.

    CPU Intel PXA270
    Speed 416 Mhz
    RAM size 64 MB
    Flash size 128 MB
    Flash Chip type G3
    Data bus 32 bits
    Storage size 43.50 MB
    LCD 240 x 320 TFT
    Colors 65536
    CLICK HERE FOR PICTURE

    CLICK HERE FOR PICTURE
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 08/06/2005 at 01:44 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by limesparks
    Hey Hobbes! Its been awhile... what have I missed...?
    I'm still goin strong on mine as well and love it, 6 mos. now, I think I got the camera one shortly after you did when they first came out.

    Anyway, figgered I'd check back and ride the wave to d-day when sprint rolls out the evdo in august... wonder what will happen with my ppc?



    Anyway, good to see you are still goin strong. They oughta give you an award.

    Been doing fine, and still loving the phone. This has been the longest I have gone without getting anxious for what to get next. It is reported by HTC that they will be releasing the Universal in the US for CDMA. That is one I am probably going to see if I can hold out for.
  10.    #10  
    The big question with this phone is that no one can find an FCC approval or application for the PPC-6700. There is an approval for the GSM version of it, but not for the CDMA....at least not one that someone has found yet.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Here are some pictures of the reported PPC-6700 from the link above:



    CLICK HERE FOR PICTURE

    CLICK HERE FOR PICTURE
    Because of the recognition he has received from all over the internet, from Cell Phone sites, etc... He has removed the post and pictures quoted above. Even though I do not have a copy of the large pictures, I found a copy of the small ones in my Internet Temp directory:


    Since I do not know how long the links above will be valid, Here is an uploaded copy of them:
    Attached Images Attached Images
  12. cec
    cec is offline
    cec's Avatar
    Posts
    290 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #12  
    That looks like the HTC Wizard.
  13. cec
    cec is offline
    cec's Avatar
    Posts
    290 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrackBerry
    Hey Hobbes -

    i) Do you know of something like the 6600 but with higher screen res?
    ii) What's out there for a full feature PalmOS PDA besides the flawed T5 and Lifedrive? If I don't buy the 6600 I'm leaning to a separate phone+pda. I would stay with PalmOS if there's something decent to run it on. I'm aware the 6600 is PPC.

    - tx
    The 'soon' to be released HTC Universal is the only PPC Phone that I know of with a VGA screen. The Dell X50v and iPaq hx4700 are PDAs with VGA screens (there are a couple of other less common models too).

    Most PPC phones and PDA screens are 320x240.
  14. #14  
    yeah that does indeed look like the wizard, I've been eyeing that phone because it is supposed to have a vga screen. Although I don't ever remember hearing about a CDMA version of the wizard.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cec
    The 'soon' to be released HTC Universal is the only PPC Phone that I know of with a VGA screen. The Dell X50v and iPaq hx4700 are PDAs with VGA screens (there are a couple of other less common models too).

    Most PPC phones and PDA screens are 320x240.
    Toshiba had the first PDA and phone with VGA and Asus had a PDA, but these devices weren't very available in the States.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    Toshiba had the first PDA and phone with VGA and Asus had a PDA, but these devices weren't very available in the States.
    What Toshiba phone had VGA? They were the first PPC maker to come out with VGA (80x series), and one of the first, of not THE first to come out with a PPC phone (the 2032/Audiovox Thera.) But I'm not aware of any PPC phone with VGA
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  17. #17  
    Also the Fujitsu Loox has VGA
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    yeah that does indeed look like the wizard, I've been eyeing that phone because it is supposed to have a vga screen. Although I don't ever remember hearing about a CDMA version of the wizard.
    Yup, there is a CDMA version of it....but the big question is if it has been approved by the FCC or not, as the GSM version has been.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by cec
    The 'soon' to be released HTC Universal is the only PPC Phone that I know of with a VGA screen. The Dell X50v and iPaq hx4700 are PDAs with VGA screens (there are a couple of other less common models too).

    Most PPC phones and PDA screens are 320x240.
    The Universal is the one I am really keeping an eye out for!
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    What Toshiba phone had VGA? They were the first PPC maker to come out with VGA (80x series), and one of the first, of not THE first to come out with a PPC phone (the 2032/Audiovox Thera.) But I'm not aware of any PPC phone with VGA
    I said phone, not PPC phone.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions