Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So apparently the Motorola Q won't be released until Q1 2006... but the specs are really nice... super thin and just a hair longer and wider than the 650. Pretty nice looking. What do we think?
    Does it run the Palm OS? If not, any Treo "competitor" would have to be light years ahead of the Treo to make me give up my investment in software.

Cheers, Perry.
    We think one is readily available now, the other is not. We also think that perhaps if and when the Q does make its entrance, perhaps the next Treo will be out, in which case this is all moot.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I am an ardent PalmOS supporter, have been since 1997 with my first Palm. That said, the MotoQ looks pretty nice. Of course it remains to be seen if it is as nice as my Treo 650 (or what may come after it), but it appears to be a good attempt.

I have a feeling I won't be using PalmOS for many more years. I am not ringing the death bell or anything, and I hope I am wrong, but the way I see things going PalmOS may not be as viable as I would like in the near future.

I think the PalmOS is so much better in so many ways over PocketPC Phone it will be a sad day when I have to retire it from use. However, if you look at the way things seem to be swinging, Palm definately has an unsure future. I wouldn't have said that in 2000...

Hope I am wrong and I am rockin the PalmOS for many more years.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
    From the Chicago Tribune article:

"It will be one of the first wireless devices to operate on Microsoft's Windows Mobile 5.0 software."

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
  6.    #6  
    It def runs Win Mobile 5.0... looks like it'll have push email and since Motorola already has licensing for the BBerry software who knows if they can incorporate that in there? I totally love my 650 (loved my 600 as well), but I really do think that PalmOS has a limited life next to Win Mobile... it's just a gut feeling really... Looking forward to checking out the Q next year sometime for sure!
    Last edited by dstrack; 07/28/2005 at 08:13 AM.
    Let's see.. One is running Windows.. Ew. One has this large amount of wasted front space. Ew. One has a much smaller screen. Ew. One of them is not a touchscreen. Ew.

I'll stop there.

Now.. The Moto's running Linux interest me.. but that Q thing is just.. well.. Ew.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Does it run the Palm OS? If not, any Treo "competitor" would have to be light years ahead of the Treo to make me give up my investment in software.

Cheers, Perry.
    This fact hopefully will "windows" microsoft.
    <moved>
    I don't think we know enough yet. We don't know if it will have WiFi. And they are making statements like:
    compatible with Motorola's line of Bluetooth-enabled wireless headsets
    Will it work with others?

We simply do not know enough yet. And we don't know what Palm will have then. Going by their usual schedule, a Treo 700 will be out by then and we don't even know what that will have...

So I will comment on this in about 6 months .
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Let's see.. One is running Windows.. Ew. One has this large amount of wasted front space. Ew. One has a much smaller screen. Ew. One of them is not a touchscreen. Ew.

I'll stop there.
    I don't think the touchscreen is THAT important anymore. That's one of the main reasons of the 600 and 650 stomping other phones is that you rarely, if ever, have to pull out the stylus. My only reason to use the stylus before this week was Solitaire...now I've found Picsel, but a similar program could use the 5-way for navigation.

But I'm pretty sure we all agree with Darnell's statement that we're just going to have to wait at least another 6 months to compare what's available on the market at that time.
    Also...it looks like the Motorola's keys aren't backlit. I obviously don't know if there's an option to turn it on or not...but that's a pretty big "uh-oh" if ya ask me.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Too early to tell but if there are two things that I think Palm should take from the Moto design is:
    (1) Screw the cool hidden speaker design and just have those earholes big enough so you can hear something in the damn phone withouth having to find the sweet spot every time.
    (2) The microphone on the front is great (and include a voice recorder already...)

The keys might be backlit and like the 600 you might be able to tell by the picture. The width is a con and a pro in that typing might be easier and less cramped. The 5 way button looks a lot like the preposterously awful one on the 6600. Smallish screen and looks very Blackberryish. But if it's that thin and sleek, has decent battery life, plenty o' RAM and other good features, they may have a very appealing product. I know many who just love the Razor... and it is a cool lookin phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Too early to tell....
    Sure is, isn't it?

but if there are two things that I think Palm should take from the Moto design is:
    (1) Screw the cool hidden speaker design and just have those earholes big enough so you can hear something in the damn phone withouth having to find the sweet spot every time.
    What makes you think that you're going to hear any better on the Moto design than the Palm design. The Palm design is RAISED for a reason...so that your ear instantly finds that sweet spot. It's much better to me than the 600 (at least I think it was...I don't really remember what the 600 was like, honestly).

(2) The microphone on the front is great (and include a voice recorder already...)
    Derr...the microphone isn't going to get any other position than where it is on the 650. No matter where or how you place the phone....the microphone is always open.

And I've got a voice recorder on my phone. It was free....remember, I told you about it already - SoundRec. Dude...you are just constantly complaining about stuff that doesn't even bother you. You're a whiner. Anybody else who comes here and asks for a voice recorder is HAPPY when someone tells them there's a free app that does exactly what they want. Oh no...not slinky...it must come with the phone, outta the box.

GO AWAY ALREADY!!

The keys might be backlit and like the 600 you might be able to tell by the picture. The width is a con and a pro in that typing might be easier and less cramped. The 5 way button looks a lot like the preposterously awful one on the 6600. Smallish screen and looks very Blackberryish. But if it's that thin and sleek, has decent battery life, plenty o' RAM and other good features, they may have a very appealing product. I know many who just love the Razor... and it is a cool lookin phone.
    They might be backlit?? I might be able to tell by the picture?? What is all this might, stuff??

You assume waaayyyyy too much. And we all know what happens when you assume, kids....
    It reminds me a lot of the mpx220.
    I want the slimest form factor. I really don't care where they put the ear piece because I'm using a BT headset.

And I think when slinky mentioned voice recorder he was actually meaning "call recorder". There is no tool to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    I want the slimest form factor. I really don't care where they put the ear piece because I'm using a BT headset.
    I personally don't care about the thickness of a device (up to a reasonable degree)...the footprint is more important IMO when it comes to handhelds and laptops. If they made it slimmer...I obviously wouldn't complain. It's just not a MUST HAVE.

Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    And I think when slinky mentioned voice recorder he was actually meaning "call recorder". There is no tool to do that.
    I don't know about that...I think he was referring to a normal voice recorder, for memos. A call recorder is possible on the Treo if you use the Seidio 2-in-1 headset/adapter or put it on speakerphone...it's better than nothing. Calls can't be recorded, legally anyway, unless you ask for the other person's permission...which takes all the fun out of it.

As for whether the Motorola has a call recorder or not...we'll obviously have to wait and see. But thinking that any first generation phone isn't going to have its fair share of problems or general lack of features is awfully naive.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Calls can't be recorded, legally anyway, unless you ask for the other person's permission...which takes all the fun out of it.
    This depends on the state and only if the call takes place completely within one state (intra-state). Some states only require one-party consent (that is as long as one of the people in the conversation consents to the recording it's okay). Other states require two-party consent (one person has to ask the other if it's okay to record).

The federal law only requires one-party consent. But federal jurisdiction only applies if the call crosses state lines.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Calls can't be recorded, legally anyway, unless you ask for the other person's permission...which takes all the fun out of it.
    Here in my state we can record any in-state calls without telling the other party.

It's illegal to take upskirt pics, but they put a camera on the thing . Not saying anyone should do that, but my point is that potential law breaking did not prevent them from including a camera.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast