1.    #1  
    Hello, I have a Cingular T650 and am looking to buy a very small GSM phone that gets the 850MHz band to use on the weekends when I don't want to carry the big T650.

I am not looking for a generic phone recommendation because a lot of phones are a pain to insert the SIM card. I'd love any specific (good/bad) experiences with specific phones including the hassle of getting the SIM card out of the 650 and into the alternate phone.

thanks
    This question would be best asked on a generic mobile phone forum, not Treo Central, as it has nothing to do with the Treo at all. Not trying to flame you, just telling it like it is. Also, you ask about people's experiences removing the sim from the 650....ummmm, YOU have one, can't you just try it yourself and form your own opinion about the process???
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  3.    #3  
    Well, I was concerned that people would have that response, but I think that the T650 is different because it is so easy to slide out the SIM. There must be others who are doing this and I'm curious to know what phones they are swapping into. Part of it is generic, but part is specific to the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    This question would be best asked on a generic mobile phone forum, not Treo Central, as it has nothing to do with the Treo at all. Not trying to flame you, just telling it like it is. Also, you ask about people's experiences removing the sim from the 650....ummmm, YOU have one, can't you just try it yourself and form your own opinion about the process???
    I've read other post in which some people prefer to carry something smaller and leave the Treo at home on the weekends. Its very possible that other people will respond to help with this one.

As far as removing the sim, their have been good and bad experiences with that as well. Some people have said its difficult, others not so difficult; and still others that couldnt get the thing out at all and needed to have it replaced.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex
    I've read other post in which some people prefer to carry something smaller and leave the Treo at home on the weekends. Its very possible that other people will respond to help with this one.

As far as removing the sim, their have been good and bad experiences with that as well. Some people have said its difficult, others not so difficult; and still others that couldnt get the thing out at all and needed to have it replaced.
    Anything's possible....doesn't mean this is the best place to get that answer, since I still don't think it is Treo related. I'm sure someone will answer though, just thought that if he wanted an answer he should ask somewhere more appropriate...I know I would (after I searched for one of the threads you alluded to, of course).
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by gregoryw
    Well, I was concerned that people would have that response, but I think that the T650 is different because it is so easy to slide out the SIM. There must be others who are doing this and I'm curious to know what phones they are swapping into. Part of it is generic, but part is specific to the Treo.
    Good luck, I'm sure someone will give you an answer. I still think you will get BETTER answers on a generic mobile site. It seems to me that you have already answered your "specific to the Treo" part of your query....if you think "it is so easy to slide out the SIM", why would you care for others opinions of that process??? That confuses me.

I know you think I am giving you crap, but seriously, had you searched elsewhere or asked this question in an appropriate forum....odds are very high that you'd ALREADY HAVE YOUR ANSWER!!!!

Just my opinion....good luck.
    - Albert Einstein
    The SE T68i is pretty small. If you want absolutely "tiny" then something like the Panasonic GD55. I have one of the Panasonics and the thing looks more like a refridgerator magnet than a real phone. But great battery life and speaker phone features make it a great, basic, no-frills weekend phone. Warning: you could easily lose this thing.
    My wife has a Siemens SL56. She loves the tiny form factor, and accessing the SIM is very simple - I think it would fit your criteria nicely.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Samsung p107 has 850 band.

As for cellphone specific websites, I doubt you can get good answer from howardforums these days. It's a sea of newbies.

edit: why is the person who is ****ty on the OP posted the most in this thread?
    I use my wife's old Samsung SGH-s307 which has GSM850. I take it on weekend treks when damaging my T650 is a concern. It's one of the smallest flips I've seen and serves the purpose well; however, I would not want it for a full-time phone.
    (I love that I can hide sim contacts while the card is in the Treo and then utilize them when its in the Samsung!)

Also, the mechanism for holding the sim card in the Samsung makes for very easy removal.
    I'm quite surprised that so many of you can do without your Treo on the weekends.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    i actually carry the t650 n the weekends and a "beater" to work during the week. that way the cheaper phone gets banged up at work while im working on cars no way im carrying a $600 phone to work and having it smashed or stolen.

its a moto v551. you have to remove the battery to get to the sim but it takes a whopping 10 seconds to swap em out.
    If it's small you want I'd look at the Razr.

I suggest you visit my "other" home.

www.howardforums.com
    It is also a good and small phone to have.
    <br>
    "What counts most in creating a successful team is not how compatible its players are, but how they deal with incompatibility." - Sports Illustrated
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    If it's small you want I'd look at the Razr.

I suggest you visit my "other" home.

www.howardforums.com
    The Razr's a bit of a pain to get open and get at the SIM and battery, though. The Samsung D500's nice and simple - another battery removal but easy to do quickly.
    If small w/easily accessable SIM are your only criteria I would also recommend the SL56. I own it and the SIM is very accessable, and of course it is very small.

If you are looking for something that has a bit more features, I would recommend the 6820. I own it as well and it is nice and small, & it is easy to access the SIM (the battery is attached to the battery cover, so there is one less piece to deal with than most phones) but it also has a camera, BT, & full QWERTY keyboard. You can also easily sync all of your Treo contacts, calender, tasks, and ToDo list to it using outlook.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjd
    The Razr's a bit of a pain to get open and get at the SIM and battery, though. The Samsung D500's nice and simple - another battery removal but easy to do quickly.
    He wants the 850 band
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47
    The SE T68i is pretty small.
    That's what I have used for the past week while I was camping. Worked like a charm but txt mssgs were a b1tch to type... It's still a great phone though. I took a T68 and upgraded it to a T68i with the latest unlocked firmware and I have never had any problems. And Erix is a hellofan adictive game!

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about