1.    #1  
    I pulled the following excerpt from CNET - Top 10 tech we miss:

The original Palm Pilot

Introduced in 1994, the original Pilot was a model of simplicity. It was an excellent pocket calendar and address book, and it synchronized sufficiently well with a desktop computer to make it a solid PC companion. With so many new Palm Pilots shipping today, why do we miss the original? Because the 1.0 Pilot never crashed. Its simplicity was its blessing. You'd think that after 11 years, this is the one feature that we'd keep.
    As I sit here and my 650 performs a soft-reset for no apparent reason, I feel exactly the same way. I loved my PalmPilot 5000 and bought 2 hardware upgrades for it (back when they did not force you to buy a whole new device to get the new OS enhancements). After being lured to Windows CE (now Pocket PC) a few times, I always came back to Palm because it was rock-solid and performed its function well.

IMO, Blackberry has stepped into that role - a reliable workhorse that knows its place, does its job and does it well. It is a shame to me that the Palm OS essentially morphed into everything that I disliked about Windows CE - except of course that it is still the underdog.
    HP 95-LX > Pilot 5000 > Cassiopeia 105 > Cassiopeia 115 > Handspring Visor > Palm M505 > Toshiba e740 > Palm Tungsten C > Palm Tungsten T3 > Dell Axim X30 > Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by jonhoffm
    IMO, Blackberry has stepped into that role - a reliable workhorse that knows its place, does its job and does it well.
    This may be true but its 'job' is so limited that many people need their device to do a little more than email. If you look at the threads around here on what people have gotten the treo to do...its incredible.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I had the 6035, 7135 before the 650. I actually had the more stability problems with the 7135 than any of them (Perhaps I need to go further into the past for stability.) While these older devices were useful the 650 is the first device to live up to my expectations, most of them anyway. I would switch to PPC before going back to those simple toys err tools.
    I have to agree with CNET. My Treo can do more than I need and I miss the reliability of the my Palm Vx, that thing needed to be reset a couple of times a year, not a couple of times a day/week.
    Sounds like somebody needs to go buy themselves a BB. If I could I'd give you mine! Cause I sure do enjoy my Treo more than my BB.

Trying to compare the original Palm to the Treo is like comparing a grass hut to the Sears tower!
    I'm running about 30 or so 3rd party apps with absolutely no stability issues at all.

I had a palm iiixe and iiic, and the Treo 600 is every bit as stable as those were - even with the added wireless and expansion card capabilities. It's all dependent upon the apps you use with it.

The last time I had a reset that I didn't initiate was with MMPlayer. Now that I've got TCPMP, that issue has gone away.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    I'm running about 30 or so 3rd party apps with absolutely no stability issues at all.

I had a palm iiixe and iiic, and the Treo 600 is every bit as stable as those were - even with the added wireless and expansion card capabilities. It's all dependent upon the apps you use with it.

The last time I had a reset that I didn't initiate was with MMPlayer. Now that I've got TCPMP, that issue has gone away.
    You are a lucky man! My stability issues have become somewhat worse in the last month or so since having the 650 since release time. I truthfully can't invision myself ever needing 30 apps on my smartphone - 10 or so seems to be the most I use.

I do appreciate the power of the Treo versus a BB. My wish is that stability was not sacrificed in the process of expanding capabilities. Maybe my memory has blocked out any miscellaneous resets from the old Palm OS days (like old people remember things being so much better when they were young) but the old Palm devices were rock-solid.
    HP 95-LX > Pilot 5000 > Cassiopeia 105 > Cassiopeia 115 > Handspring Visor > Palm M505 > Toshiba e740 > Palm Tungsten C > Palm Tungsten T3 > Dell Axim X30 > Treo 650
    A few years ago, I seen a Palm device remotely operate a robot at an engineering expedition for college seniors. All commands came from the 'brain' (Treo) to simulate normal human functions such as picking up a cup...a shovel...and actually shoveling a scoop of dirt! If you have an imagination and knowledge of electronics with a little robotic skills, the Treo can do anything you want it too.
    You never lived until you almost died!
    The way I see it, Microsoft pushed forward on a lot of useless crap and Palm got caught up trying to play their game. Of course, Palm had the right stuff really right, like battery life and "it just works", but how do you sell that year after year? It's hard to when the other guy is making all kinds of noise about "cool" stuff that isn't really that important but creates buzz.

Of course, every time we get better battery life, it automatically gets traded off against a faster processor, or more RAM, or a higher resolution screen. It doesn't really seem like customers are voting with their wallets against that.
    Treo 650 with 1 GB SD card!
    http://www.rkuo.com
    The simple fact is, we, as a society, demand more than we did 10 years ago. We are constantly begging for more, more, more. For most, the standards just aren't enough. (I wonder if we're truly thankful for what we've got - I know I am).

Anyway, out of the box I've heard of some problems with the Treo, but I've never experienced them. I'm going to wager that the direct from factory unlocked phones don't have as many issues - because carriers haven't overlayed anything.

The more apps and features we add, the more of a possibility of instability.

You can say the BB is more stable, but you certainly can't do on a BB everything you can on a Treo.

All computers, BBs, Treos- they're all idiots - they have no brain. They just there and do what someone tells them to do. Put a clunky app on there and tell it to run it, it's going to try to run it, resets or not.

My .02.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    The simple fact is, we, as a society, demand more than we did 10 years ago. We are constantly begging for more, more, more. For most, the standards just aren't enough. (I wonder if we're truly thankful for what we've got - I know I am).
    How true... your posts are always impressive. I miss the simplicity of life 20 years ago. Technology can bring many wonderful things but there is always a trade off... gotta go with the way it flows and make the best of it all...
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX

I agree!!! I have over 200+ apps on my Treo 650 and it has been fairly stable for me. In fact when it does reset it is usually b/c of something I did or using a known buggy app or beta app which I recently installed...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Well, I can't say as I miss not having the technology I have available to me today.

I don't miss putting on snowboots to walk to the side of the house to turn the huge steel post that ran up the side of the house to swing the TV antenna to get another station (yes, that was only 20 years ago for me - BUT my parents built their house and owned it free in clear while we kids were all still home). <--and that task sucked when there wasn't someone else home to tell you if the station was in or not!

But... I won't just die if I don't get On Demand from the cable company in my area, or even if the next Treo doesn't have WiFi. Unfortunately, though I can speak quite loudly, I'm just one puny, little voice.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by rkuo
    The way I see it, Microsoft pushed forward on a lot of useless crap and Palm got caught up trying to play their game. Of course, Palm had the right stuff really right, like battery life and "it just works", but how do you sell that year after year? It's hard to when the other guy is making all kinds of noise about "cool" stuff that isn't really that important but creates buzz.
    You said it better than I did.
    I could never go back - computing has evolved as have my needs.
    Frankly, the CNET article shows a total lack of understanding of the platform. Take any of todays non-phone Palm OS devices, run it with only the built-in apps, and it's plenty simple and plenty stable. That old Palm Pilot was stable precisely because that's all it had on it. If people had tried to load the multitude of apps available today the Pilot would have crashed, too.

As for stability, I think my Treo has reset itself once in the last couple of weeks, and maybe 3 times in the last couple of months. I consider that pretty darn stable. If your Treo isn't that stable, it's time to re-evaluate your software mix.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    maybe i don't have much experience with soft resets, as my vzw 650 is pretty stable, but, with the soft resets i HAVE experienced (3rd party apps, website with strange coding, etc.) it's just like a '"program crash," and in 12 seconds my treo is up and running 100% like it was before.

am i missing more serious downsides to the soft resets? windows programs crash. os x programs crash. palm crashed. luckily, with the new memory management, you don't lose any information, so it's pretty benign, no?

ps: blackberries, while simple, are not that stable AT ALL, in my experience. my brother had one, and within a couple months, was so frustrated at its random resets, malfunctions, and various loose ends, that he had to jump ship.