1.    #1  
    Hi, All:

Not a Treo - cause hubby only needs phone for standard functions. Last year we saw a totally voice-command driven phone being created for the blind with a very hefty price tag.

Well, we just got back from Verizon Store where we picked up a new LG VX4650 - holy cow. It's designed for true Driving Mode so you can voice-command for everything. But since my hubby is blind, we tested it out and he can pretty much navigate everything; he can even add contacts and get phone number announcement of calls. He can hit a button and say Missed Calls and it will read out the time, date and number of a call. He can say Voice Mail and it will tell him if there is any.

I was quite surprised, especially for a phone that's just $70 with a two-year plan. Previously he had an LG and the only voice readback was which numbers he was hitting.

Just thought I'd share in case you need a phone for another family member that can be driven by voice. We're quite pleased.

Pamela
    Last edited by mediasi; 07/04/2005 at 05:27 PM.
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    That's awsome that he found a phone he can use, i'm curious though, does he use a computer? if so, what OS does he us? I'm fasinated how ppl with disabilities such as blindless and deafness use the technology that is out there.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    That's awsome that he found a phone he can use, i'm curious though, does he use a computer? if so, what OS does he us? I'm fasinated how ppl with disabilities such as blindless and deafness use the technology that is out there.

Timmay
    I am going to bet a program of some sort that it is based off of windows OS with a shark overlay. :::fingers crosssed:::
    Thank you for sharing this. It's good to know about these resources. As the population ages, more of us will live longer, though with one disability or another. I have friends and relatives who aren't blind, but with eyesight that is quite weak and weakening and they're always looking for accessible features on phones and other devices. Many of us insist on having keyboards, but the best functionality may come when we're able to dictate or "command" everything into these devices. Thanks again.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.