Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Folks,

Anyone who has moved from a Treo (600 or 65) to the new Samsung please comment on the differences in usability of the two devices.

In reading about the Samsung it does not seem to be as easy to dial a contact as the Treo has. This is the number one feature for me on the Treo 600 I use. Before that I had a Kyocera 7135 and used TakePhone to enhance entry lookup, with the Treo I had no need for TakePhone as the built in dialing was awesome.

Will be upgrading soon, and would need to decide whether to go with the Samsung to get EVDO capability.
    i went from an xv6600 to a treo, and i would never go back. the i730 has the same OS and basic slide-keyboard functionality as the xv6600, though it is significantly smaller than the xv6600. even so, it's not smaller than the treo, and that's even without the keyboard exposed.

if you go with the i730, or any ppc device, be prepared to be taking out your stylus, sliding the keyboard out to dial, or touch dialing on the touch screen, which is a big step down from dialing with the treo's keyboard (which is always available).

yes, the treo doesn't have evdo, and that's major gripe i have. but i've been having pretty decent speeds with the mobile browsing on the treo...
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Wait for magneto and throw away your stylus.
    ^ whatever that's supposed to me. ^
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Magneto is the next version of the PPC platform. It is due out by the end of the year, I believe. One of the main improvements in the new version is the ability to do all your navigation with the navigation pad/D-pad/whatever you want to call it. Hence, you won't need a stylus.
    It should be possible to update your i730 to Magneto when it comes out. Not sure Verizon/Samsung will actually support this, but other handset manufacturers (Eten) have promised this. Therefore you could gamble and buy an i730 today, in hopes of being able to ugrade to Magneto when it's available.

Any PPC phone that has 128 MB ROM and 64 MB RAM (e.g. i730) was designed for Magneto, because that's the minimum spec for Magneto.
    FWIW, I would not buy ANY device on the hopes that Magnito or any other OS will be available, will work on the device at all, will be supported, or will work with the software you will have or will purchase before the new OS rolls out.

There are just too many variables on something like this. Release dates almost always slip and there is a good chance that, even if the OS is portable to an existing device, none of the current apps will be able to take advantage of the supposidly new features.

The only reason to go for the 730, or any device for that matter, is if you like it how it is NOW. Given this industry, its just not worth it to gamble that 6 months from now the thing will be changed into something you like.

I just got to play with a demo 730 for a bit. Its very nice and no doubt some people will prefer it, but I think there will be a problem with the sliding keyboard after a while, and treo-like one handed operation was not possible. The size didnt bother me, but I used to carry around a treo 300 and that didnt bother me either. We dont have EVDO in our area yet so couldnt play with that.
    Last edited by midmofan; 07/02/2005 at 12:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Well, after taking a good look at this phone, I've got to say that Palm has done it to itself. This is one pretty good phone. I'm not the biggest fan of PPC but the browser is decent, the screen holds a lot of text (17 lines) and batteries last the same talk time rating as the 650 on Verizon. The big killer is that it has built in WiFi. Reviewers like the genuises at Time Magazine complain that when you use WiFi it enables ability to receive calls. Ah, I believe that is the same issue with EVDO, but that really is a small matter. If you think that's not an advantage, a friend pointed out what a big one this is, especially if you don't own a GSM phone.

1) If you live in a large metropolitan city like Chicago or New York, there are hundreds of WiFi hotspots all over the city. They are high speed and you won't need to pay $45 month just to do simple email and occasional browsing. In addition, it will also allow you to check via your own company's WiFi router too.

2) If option 1 doesn't grab you, think about this. If you travel outside the US, using a CDMA phone is practically worthless.... unless you have WiFi. If you have net2phone or vonage or any other voice over IP phone, you can use the phone's WiFi capability to use as a WiFi phone. That solves your GSM problem.

I think it's about time that Palm ponied up real WiFi drivers... especially for it's own WiFi SD card!!!!! It's absurd although I wonder if Verizon and Sprint were behind the refusal. The cat is out of the bag though... it's time to move on...

The only thing that I think we can count on regarding the Treo 700, whenever it comes out (rumored in 2006) and whatever it is called is that it will require all new accessories...

Hoping someone at Palm will wise up before this company markets itself out of business...
    Last edited by slinky; 07/14/2005 at 07:49 PM.
    To each his own when it comes to phones, but I had an iMate PDA2K which is basically the same form factor (slider keyboard, PPC, Wifi), and after a month I hated it. Web browsing was very nice on it, but I found I could not use it one handed, and it took way too many pen taps or cursor movement to do things. I'll stick to my Treo, but YMMV.
    Carl
    Not to burst your bubble, but the talk time is rated at 2.2 hours! That may be the single worst talk time of any phone in the US. How much time do you think you'll get when running the WiFi? 30 minutes?

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=667

Another "Treo killer" bites the dust.
    <merged>
    A better question to ask, has Verizon changed its WiFi posture and will PalmOne be allowed to enable the WiFi drivers?
    If you want a mediocre phone with true multi-tasking capability and 300-500kbps access to the internet, get the i730.

If you want a good phone with slick, simple software performance and would be satisfied with slower, but significantly cheaper internet access (assuming Sprint), choose the Treo.

I sent the Treo back and kept the XV6600 then upgraded to the i730. It just keeps on getting better.
    I really think that the next treo will have some type of wifi capability...whether its built in or the wifi sd cards will work (hopefully combo cards...I need the memory too.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    The talk time of 2.2 hours is on VERIZON's CDMA network. That's pretty reasonable, actually. The Treo 650 has the same talk time rating of 150 minutes. Regarding WiFi, did you ever think of using the little travel charger? It would be amazing to use the device and not have to carry a laptop.

While it's all well and nice to have some conveniences on the Palm, but the fact is that at 32MB of RAM and with a web browser that chokes on 25% of all web pages I've surfed at a minimum, the 650 was designed very poorly. While Verizon may have forced Palm to cripple the 650 stupidly (after all, they knew about the Samsung), nobody told them to underpower the phone with RAM. That's the Palm marketing department that hopes we'll upgrade.

Make no mistake. The Samsung phone is a real threat to the Treo 650. Worse for Palm... they didn't make enough to get them to stores. Now people have another option and it's very tempting. And it comes with 2 batteries. And it comes with reasonable accessories. And it comes with loads of useful software, fully loaded. And you can use full WiFi... make no mistake. I agree with cvela90. IF Verizon is behind the limitation then they control whether the Treo 650 will survive on Verizon's network...
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I really think that the next treo will have some type of wifi capability...whether its built in or the wifi sd cards will work (hopefully combo cards...I need the memory too.)
    Who cares? We just got the Treo 650 and for most people, it means no new phone for 2 years. I'm just glad I didn't have to take out another service contract...
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Who cares? We just got the Treo 650 and for most people, it means no new phone for 2 years. I'm just glad I didn't have to take out another service contract...
    Who cares!? How about the 600 group that held out from the 650 because it wasnt much of an upgrade on the 600 Im ready for an upgrade!!
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

The talk time of 2.2 hours is on VERIZON's CDMA network. That's pretty reasonable, actually. The Treo 650 has the same talk time rating of 150 minutes.
    Actually, the CDMA Treo 650 has a talk time of 5 hours with the standard battery. www.phonescoop.com
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Actually, the CDMA Treo 650 has a talk time of 5 hours with the standard battery. www.phonescoop.com
    you sir, are correct
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    FWIW, I would not buy ANY device on the hopes that Magnito or any other OS will be available, will work on the device at all, will be supported, or will work with the software you will have or will purchase before the new OS rolls out.

There are just too many variables on something like this. Release dates almost always slip and there is a good chance that, even if the OS is portable to an existing device, none of the current apps will be able to take advantage of the supposidly new features.
    AMEN!!

I gotta admit, though...I'm waiting on Palm Linux!! But I've got another year and a half or so before my contract's up, soo....I think I can handle it!
    The talk time of 2.2 hours is on VERIZON's CDMA network. That's pretty reasonable, actually. The Treo 650 has the same talk time rating of 150 minutes. Regarding WiFi, did you ever think of using the little travel charger? It would be amazing to use the device and not have to carry a laptop.
    SLINKY...I know that I've told you this on more than one occasion: 5 hour battery life (unmatched by most other phones out there, and certainly all ppc phones). I use my non-WiFi device all the time and don't carry a laptop...what're you talking about!?!? I also can use it everywhere you can find a WiFi spot and everywhere you can't find a WiFi spot (at least in this country), for $10/mo...quit the biatchin'!! You can speed it up by trying Xiino, perhaps. How about using Wassdat. I think I'll be payin' $10/mo for data even after I get an EV-DO phone 'cause I won't want to surf on a pda for my everyday bookmarks. It's for solitude and emergency uses only pretty much. Again, not for reading your everyday bookmarks. It's got nothing to do with the speed. You could have Wifi in your home, but there's going to be a memory, screen, and keyboard limitation when it comes to REAL browsing!!!

While it's all well and nice to have some conveniences on the Palm, but the fact is that at 32MB of RAM and with a web browser that chokes on 25% of all web pages I've surfed at a minimum, the 650 was designed very poorly. While Verizon may have forced Palm to cripple the 650 stupidly (after all, they knew about the Samsung), nobody told them to underpower the phone with RAM. That's the Palm marketing department that hopes we'll upgrade.
    They're prolly right in thinking that former Treo users will upgrade...it's a good product. Make no mistake and watch who you're callin' cripple!!

Make no mistake. The Samsung phone is a real threat to the Treo 650. Worse for Palm... they didn't make enough to get them to stores. Now people have another option and it's very tempting. And it comes with 2 batteries. And it comes with reasonable accessories. And it comes with loads of useful software, fully loaded. And you can use full WiFi... make no mistake. I agree with cvela90. IF Verizon is behind the limitation then they control whether the Treo 650 will survive on Verizon's network...
    FIRST OF ALL...have you used the i730, slinky? How about the 650? Have you used it for longer than 2 weeks? If so, it hasn't been MUCH longer. Just PUH-LEEZE would you stop saying stuff about phones you haven't held in your hand for longer than a couple hours, if even held at all!!! Do you not remember me saying that after you made your very first post? I said you needed to spend a little more time in analysis of the phone and that your initial reactions were the same as everybody elses...and that you'd adjust. And now you're telling everybody here how the i730 is a real threat. I wish that for one day, I didn't have to come to TC and to tell you to ZIP IT!!

EVERY phone is a threat to the 650...just like every mp3 player is a threat to the iPod. But they need to build MOMENTUM before they start turning heads. The i730 will not gain momentum. Not even the i800...it's gonna take a couple more tries for all PPC phone manufacturers to get the hardware right before they have any momentum at all. But by that time, you've got the first version of Palm Linux on your perfect hardware (at least in terms of a candybar form factor; I'm waitin' on the clamshell). And when that new version of Palm comes out, you're going to see a LOT of Palm users upgrade because THAT's what most are waiting for.

Slinky, if you want to blame somebody...blame PalmSource. Palm really hasn't done much wrong. I'd say the RAM thing was kinda messed up (for a small fraction of users, like people with large contacts/calendars and a couple other cases)...but other than that, you can't really fault Palm for much else, except not pushing PalmSource harder to release Palm Linux. Palm just friggin' got the phone, dude!! This was their very first time at releasing a phone!!!!!! FIRST FRIGGIN' PHONE! AHH, SLINKY!! AHH!!!

I'm prolly gonna be blocking your comments as they are too repetitive. I have a feeling that you're not a very quick learner. How 'bout this recommendation: STOP POSTING AND START READING 'TIL YOU CAN SPIT OUT EVERY BIT OF INFORMATION ON EVERY SMARTPHONE EVER MADE...OK!?!? Then maybe you can post again if you prove yourself.

Sorry slinky...I was only kiddin'!
    Last edited by grndslm; 07/14/2005 at 11:47 PM.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast