Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    I'm talking about practical purposes of WiFi...like downloading a movie or streaming a movie, even. WiFi is meant for speed...not downloading email.
    Priceless... 'nuff said!
    Right...so what exactly does that prove??

Did you go down the street trying to stream a movie?? Or download any large file, even?? You can try all you want, but it ain't happenin'. The only way it'll be possible is with EV-DO, UMTS, or WiMax. Portability ain't happenin' with WiFi because it's a mid-range wireless standard. Heck, bluetooth is midrange (and allows just as much data throughput as broadband will provide) as far as we're concerned if you get the Linksys USBBT100.

Even if you could stream a movie or download a movie....where would you store it??? You only have 1GB in your SD slot (maybe 2, if you're lucky)...which is prolly already filled.

What is it that you need to do that's so data-intensive while you're away from a desktop/laptop anyway?? Everybody who chose to get the unlimited data service can browse the web, check email, get directory listings, weather information, movie listings, stream radio stations, etc...which is all quite practical on a device of this nature.

Whenever you use WiFi on a phone to download your emails you're BURNIN' UP YOUR BATTERY FOR NO REASON!!

Soo slinky, how about walking down the street with your laptop and using it for some data-intensive purpose. I can't do it on my device because I don't have the proper hardware for those purposes...but i can walk down [ALMOST] ANY STREET IN THE COUNTRY and use my phone that has a 4 sq. in. screen, 312MHz processor, and a gig of storage space and use it for the same exact stuff you're doing at a couple bus stops and stop lights.

Short-range & long-range baby...nothin' inbetween would serve the purposes of the general public. Otherwise they'd all be buying Windows Mobile devices, but last time I checked....they're not.

You're just not being practical about this, slinky. Think practical!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Welcome to the 21st Century.

I'd rather have 1 gb on my phone when I buy it instead of having to add 1-2 gb afterward.
    Replace that G with a T...and then we're talkin'!!

Should read: "I'd rather have 1 tb on my phone when I buy it"
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    btw, the boss sent back his samsung and is now trying out the 650.
    Is it time to start a poll to see how many people convert[ed] from a i730 to a 650??
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Just saw the i730 today at a Verizon store at the mall...............it is beautiful. The sliding keyboard is sooooo smooth. Too bad Cingular won't be carrying it.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I'm talking about practical purposes of WiFi...like downloading a movie or streaming a movie, even. WiFi is meant for speed...not downloading email.
    Priceless... 'nuff said!
    Right...so what exactly does that prove??
    Did you go down the street trying to stream a movie?? Or download any large file, even?? You can try all you want, but it ain't happenin'. The only way it'll be possible is with EV-DO, UMTS, or WiMax. Portability ain't happenin' with WiFi because it's a mid-range wireless standard.
    There are dozens of other reasons other than speed to use technology such as WiFi instead of EVDO, etc. Most companies that spend millions on security and networking equipment and that deploy thousands of mobile devices don't put movie downloading/streaming as high a priority as they do the implementation of corporate-wide communications systems including email.
    What is it that you need to do that's so data-intensive while you're away from a desktop/laptop anyway??
    I stream 128 kbps music during much of the day (driving and in the office) - it's like having XM or Sirius except it works indoors too! Add to that the more mundane internet tasks you mention in your post, and a broadband-style solution (like EVDO) becomes essential.
    Replace that G with a T...and then we're talkin'!!
    Don't I wish!
    There are dozens of other reasons other than speed to use technology such as WiFi instead of EVDO, etc. Most companies that spend millions on security and networking equipment and that deploy thousands of mobile devices don't put movie downloading/streaming as high a priority as they do the implementation of corporate-wide communications systems including email.
    I already mentioned that as one of the minor reasons compared to the rest of the people that are using this phone. If corporations want a WIFI device...they have the money to buy a Tungsten C or a LifeDrive....or a dreaded PPC, even. They can do that because if they really have that bad of a need for WiFi...they've prolly already implemented that solution.

Again...you're not being practical when it comes to this phone....why would a corporation just all of a sudden uproot what they're doing and use the Treo 700 which will be extremely expensive compared to a Tungsten C/Lifedrive/PPC which has already had bugs ironed out, etc???

Palm has a target market which belongs to a marketing plan...and I'm pretty sure that marketing plan is going to include what's going to make them the most money. Wouldn't you?
    I stream 128 kbps music during much of the day (driving and in the office) - it's like having XM or Sirius except it works indoors too! Add to that the more mundane internet tasks you mention in your post, and a broadband-style solution (like EVDO) becomes essential.
    That's hilarious...never though of it as Satellite radio that works in doors too...hah! It can even act as a TiVo with Slingbox, Sailer Clicker, etc.

Heck...if you really wanted WiFi speeds on your Treo while walking through a major city...get a backback and put your laptop and BT USB receiver in there in the on state....constantly sending you wifi speeds to your phone whenever accessible. This clearly requires a little extra weight...but you could call it exercise.

Don't I wish!
    One day...one day!!
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I already mentioned that as one of the minor reasons compared to the rest of the people that are using this phone. If corporations want a WIFI device...they have the money to buy a Tungsten C or a LifeDrive....or a dreaded PPC, even. They can do that because if they really have that bad of a need for WiFi...they've prolly already implemented that solution. Again...you're not being practical when it comes to this phone....why would a corporation just all of a sudden uproot what they're doing and use the Treo 700 which will be extremely expensive compared to a Tungsten C/Lifedrive/PPC which has already had bugs ironed out, etc???
    The most obvious reasons why most people I know won't use the Treo 700 right now or consider it later is because **it isn't in existence**. Regarding the lifedrive, it's not a phone and there is no need to pay $400-500 per device to carry around yet another device to keep your entire office or hours of music or video. For less you can have a Blackberry and satisfy two purposes for less money of any other PDA-phone along with a 2GB SD card. If I wanted to carry around *two* devices I'd sooner have my phone and my small laptop in its convenient carrying case. The more Palm ignores the corporate market the more this market will invest in technology solutions other than Palm.

Palm has a target market which belongs to a marketing plan...and I'm pretty sure that marketing plan is going to include what's going to make them the most money. Wouldn't you?
    No, I'm not. And neither are many other people. Numerous companies have shortsighted people at the top and they fail. Some have execs that want to hit quarterly/annual numbers, collect their bonuses, borrow from next quarters revenues perpectually and make up crap at the shareholders meetings.

What you also misunderstand is that many of us Treo 650 owners and long time Palm enthusiasts really don't want to switch to PPC devices but Palm's direction is out of whack and the i730 represents an amazing first generation device in its first month. I can't ignore what is going on around me like Palm is, thinking that its easy to use system and good Treo form factor will be a wave they can ride forever. Regarding Palm's marketing dept., the 32 MB Treo 650 is a good example even though it may net them a few dollars from consumer enthusiasts. You think the marketing people have a clue when they say that most users claimed that they didn't need the RAM upgrade and that 23MB usable was more than sufficient? Whom did they poll? Did they research what happens when you increase the OS size and include a faster processor? They got greedy and will pay for it.
    Last edited by slinky; 07/25/2005 at 02:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    From the LifeDrive marketing materials regarding the use of WiFi:

"Stay connected at any of the over 80,000 public Wi-Fi hotspots in popular hotels, cafes and airports2 around the world. Access your POP, IMAP and Exchange email accounts3 with the included VersaMail® email client. Download your latest calendar appointments from the office. Retrieve documents from your main computer with the WiFile™ software4. Use the included Blazer® web browser, optimized for the mobile experience, for surfing. Or, use Bluetooth to connect to compatible devices nearby—sync with a Bluetooth laptop, print wirelessly to a Bluetooth printer or dial a Bluetooth phone5."

Do you notice the difference in what Palm perceives WiFi and BlueTooth usage to be in contrast to your own? WiFi is used for email and numerous other tasks while BT is marketed to synch to your laptop or connect to a printer or use the phone as a modem. Exactly the uses myself and others described and which you berated us.

I'm not going to buy a LifeDrive because I need to bring my office with me, watch movies or listen to MP3s, I buy a 2GB SD card and perform similar tasks on my Treo 650 and not carry another device. I'm not saying that the LifeDrive doesn't have its place but perhaps Palm better figure out how to keep the 650 competitive to new products like the Samsung i730 which have clearly closed the gap and exceeded it in other useful areas. Deny all you want but if Palm does too, they won't be around too much longer.
    That's hilarious...never though of it as Satellite radio that works in doors too...hah! It can even act as a TiVo with Slingbox, Sailer Clicker, etc.
    I've done this with Orb, but the novelty wears off pretty quickly and I'm usually too busy when I'm away from my Tivo to be watching TV on my phone. However, that reminds me - the next time my wife insists on going to the opera . . . hmmm . . .
    I've done this with Orb, but the novelty wears off pretty quickly and I'm usually too busy when I'm away from my Tivo to be watching TV on my phone. However, that reminds me - the next time my wife insists on going to the opera . . . hmmm . . .
    I wouldn't do it (at least not for a couple more years)...I use my Treo for organization, slightly practical multimedia purposes, the unlimited potential of the internet, and for times when I'm isolated with nothing to do.
    I'm not going to buy a LifeDrive because I need to bring my office with me, watch movies or listen to MP3s, I buy a 2GB SD card and perform similar tasks on my Treo 650 and not carry another device. I'm not saying that the LifeDrive doesn't have its place but perhaps Palm better figure out how to keep the 650 competitive to new products like the Samsung i730 which have clearly closed the gap and exceeded it in other useful areas. Deny all you want but if Palm does too, they won't be around too much longer.
    Although I agree that the 730 offers some options that the treo doesnt, the form factor (at least for me) is key. Predicting Palm's success based on what the competition offers probably isnt the best indicator either. (remember...part of the treo's success is based in part on how and what the carriers do to promote it....i.e. data plan prices)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

The most obvious reasons why most people I know won't use the Treo 700 right now or consider it later is because **it isn't in existence**.
    That was my point - thanks for helpin' me out some. Companies that NEED wifi have already found their solutions for WiFi-enabled devices by now...whether it was a Tungsten C (Palm) or some PPC device. Palm isn't trying to target companies who need wifi because those companies have already invested money in solutions and momentum will keep them with whatever platform they've already chosen...that's why Microsoft ain't budgin' even if OS X is the most advanced operating system in the world!!!

Regarding the lifedrive, it's not a phone and there is no need to pay $400-500 per device to carry around yet another device to keep your entire office or hours of music or video.
    Who said it was a phone? We're talking about companies here, remember...because the only other people who are gonna see the benefits of wifi in the Treo are college kids who live on a campus with WiFi. Two major categories...corporations (perhaps gov't would go here also) and colleges - those with large WiFi infrastructures already in place. Anyway...corporations who don't already have their WiFi-enabled devices won't care how much they pay on their devices so long as they can justify the expenses. But these corporations who haven't already gotten their solutions in place are in the minority. Palm doesn't give a rat's azz about them. Well...I take that back, they'll over them a Tungsten C or a LifeDrive if they want a few.

For less you can have a Blackberry and satisfy two purposes for less money of any other PDA-phone along with a 2GB SD card.
    You get what you pay for. You get A LOT more functionality with the 650....hands down.

If I wanted to carry around *two* devices I'd sooner have my phone and my small laptop in its convenient carrying case. The more Palm ignores the corporate market the more this market will invest in technology solutions other than Palm.
    Well...you don't seem to want to carry around one device because you're constantly complaining about this 650 that you didn't even have to pay for. If you would just friggin' customize your phone already instead of wasting time posting mindless thoughts on how Palm's goin' down the drain because they're making the worst decisions, etc...you might find solutions to your problems. But you're not really interested in solutions. You've got a 1GB card to store applications on, but you complain about only 23MB user accessible RAM on the phone. What percentage of phones have even over 2MB of memory?? Tiny percentage!! How much RAM in PPC terms does it take to equal the amount of RAM Palm needs? Hmm...twice as much. I'd ask you one more time to look at the scoreboard and see who's winnin'.

No, I'm not. And neither are many other people. Numerous companies have shortsighted people at the top and they fail. Some have execs that want to hit quarterly/annual numbers, collect their bonuses, borrow from next quarters revenues perpectually and make up crap at the shareholders meetings.
    PalmSource MIGHT be one of those companies...we'll have to wait and see what they can pull outta their arses. But Palm can't be blamed for very much. You can certainly be blamed for not selling your 650 already. What's the hold up??

What you also misunderstand is that many of us Treo 650 owners and long time Palm enthusiasts really don't want to switch to PPC devices but Palm's direction is out of whack and the i730 represents an amazing first generation device in its first month. I can't ignore what is going on around me like Palm is, thinking that its easy to use system and good Treo form factor will be a wave they can ride forever. Regarding Palm's marketing dept., the 32 MB Treo 650 is a good example even though it may net them a few dollars from consumer enthusiasts. You think the marketing people have a clue when they say that most users claimed that they didn't need the RAM upgrade and that 23MB usable was more than sufficient? Whom did they poll? Did they research what happens when you increase the OS size and include a faster processor? They got greedy and will pay for it.
    How can you repeatedly say that Palm's direction is out of whack??? THEY HAVE ONLY HAD ONE SINGLE SOLITARY OPPORTUNITY TO DESIGN A CELL PHONE!! NO MORE THAN ONE!! And even that one phone was mostly designed by another company. Palm made something like 15 upgrades (pretty signifcant ones to boot) to the 600 to make it EVEN MORE phone-like (which people want; the general public can't afford EV-DO yet, they don't want sliding keyboards, they don't want to pay $700 for a cell phone....650 anybody??)....and I'm sure they'll provide at least 7-10 upgrades to the 650 too!! They're doing what they need to do. Again...they've got momentum....they've already sold over a million Treos and the ball's going to stay in there side of the court for at least another 2 years because people are SATISFIED with their products...and will be when they upgrade and sell their old phones to other people...thereby building up more mass and getting more velocity. Mass x Velocity = MOMENTUM!!! HELLOO!?!??!? You're going to have to face it, homie!
    From the LifeDrive marketing materials regarding the use of WiFi:
    Hmm...failing to see what the LifeDrive has to do with smartphones, but we'll see what you gotta say.

"Stay connected at any of the over 80,000 public Wi-Fi hotspots in popular hotels, cafes and airports2 around the world.
    Hmm...how many of those public hotspots are free?? Prolly not as many as you'd think -- I'm constantly reading on Slashdot about how people go cafes strictly to surf the wifi waves...hence, Starbucks tryin' to stop the loitering by charging for it. Then how many of those hotspots would you not be bringing your laptop along anyway?? Like the hotels and airports, for example? A smartphone won't be replacing my laptop at those locations for AT LEAST another 5 years or so....'til the smartphone can be hooked up to an external monitor (wirelessly, preferably) ontop of an external keyboard/mouse.

What's funny is that I pay $10/mo to get a data service that's 2 to 3 times faster than dialup...at those 80,000 locations and then A WHOLE lot more. When I use bluetooth DUN with my laptop...and tabs in Firefox...I can hardly notice that I'm not using broadband. It's crazy if you just knew the potential your phone has...but you're too blinded by wifi and verizon to try other things I've suggested to you.

Access your POP, IMAP and Exchange email accounts3 with the included VersaMail® email client. Download your latest calendar appointments from the office. Retrieve documents from your main computer with the WiFile™ software4. Use the included Blazer® web browser, optimized for the mobile experience, for surfing. Or, use Bluetooth to connect to compatible devices nearby—sync with a Bluetooth laptop, print wirelessly to a Bluetooth printer or dial a Bluetooth phone5."
    Hmm....I can already do all of that stuff with my 650. Why don't you pay Verizon's ludicrous data fees already?? It might actually be worth it to someone of such high corporate stature as yourself.

Do you notice the difference in what Palm perceives WiFi and BlueTooth usage to be in contrast to your own? WiFi is used for email and numerous other tasks while BT is marketed to synch to your laptop or connect to a printer or use the phone as a modem. Exactly the uses myself and others described and which you berated us.
    Umm....all that stuff that you just read from Palm is called marketing. They're trying to sell you something...they don't care what you pick, just so long as you pick them. They have handhelds, smartphones, and mobile managers....all just terms to show that they provide the customer(s) with CHOICE! But there's not a doubt in anybody's mind that smartphones will one day be the only choice when it comes to PDAs.

WiFi should NOT be used for email on a handheld...cellular radios should. You're not always in range of a WiFi hotspot to receive your email. I'm ALWAYS in range to receive my emails....$10/mo!! Hahahahhahahah. Why don't you sell your 650 and buy one from Sprint?? What's wrong with that solution?? I've given you plenty of ideas and you just ignore these questions. Wuddup?? Are you a plant from Microsoft??

I'll be you everything that I own you're wrong about that. PALM WON'T BE AROUND FOR MUCH LONGER?? DID YOU NOT TAKE PHYSICS, SON?? MOMENTUM, BOY...MOMENTUM!! That's like saying that the wealthy people who bought iPods and buy songs from iTunes are just going to all of a sudden stop because of subscription services. Even with Apple's shady business of not putting a replaceable battery in their iPods...people still come back for more?? Why, slinky...why?? I'll give you one more hint - begins and ends with an 'M'!!

As for this i730 that's why we're all actually in this thread anyway, right....it's definitely the closest to closing the gap, I'll give you that much. But answer me these questions:

(1) How many carriers sell both the cheap 600 and the slightly more expensive (but better value) 650 as opposed to the i730?
    (2) What's the price difference between the 600/650s versus the i730s?
    (3) How many 600s/650s have already been sold compared to the number of i730s??
    (4) The 650 prolly has 2 or 3 downsides when pitted against the i730...how many downsides does the i730 have when pitted against the 650?? Prolly 7 or 8.
    (5) In 3 or 4 months whenever the Treo 700 comes out....what will the i730 have on the 650 (I'm guessing just wifi...and that's not necessary when you've got EV-DO/UMTS and Bluetooth).

Momentum - Samsung can't stop what Palm's goin'...not even Palm themselves could stop where they're goin'.
    Last edited by grndslm; 07/25/2005 at 11:34 PM.
    I think Palm made the LifeDrive to put a foot hold into the niche, which I belive is the multimedia PDA device that competes with the iPod directly.

Sooner or later, the iPod will be able to play video. So 300+ dollar will get you a music box that also plays tiny video. The Life Drive will serve the same segment with enthusism on the connectivity (Wifi) and other programs. By the time the video iPod become popular, Palm should have a 6GB or 8GB LifeDrive ready for a tag more money.

It's a good idea. I myself never use the PDA part of the Treo. I only hot sync to install Apps. Actually the last few applications I installed I did it at work. I could easily do it with a wifi connection, instead of the GPRS connection on my Treo. I can see wifi being a bit more useful than EVDO for people who want multimedia on the go (orb/goonet/whatever). wifi is cheaper than EVDO and is faster when it's avaiable. But a PDA that focus on multimedia definitely needs larger screen than the Treo.

So what I am trying to say is....if your screen is large enough for portable video, you are too large to be a good phone. It's a decision you need to make. And from the LifeDrive and the Treo I think Palm has an idea what they are doing.

I sound like I am defending Palm. I am really not. I think they make very good design decisions but they need to make more increamental releases. For example, a mid cycle Treo 660 that has double the memory and maybe a dual SD slot, or maybe wifi buildin, shouldn't cost Palm too much money to make and support. Also Palm need to buddle more multimedia software into the LifeDrive. At least put in a Kinoma Lite or a single-city edition of TomTom or something.
    Last edited by whatever7; 07/25/2005 at 11:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Sooner or later, the iPod will be able to play video. So 300+ dollar will get you a music box that also plays tiny video.
    It's amazing to me that Apple's made it this far without integrating video into their PODS.

The Life Drive will serve the same segment with enthusism on the connectivity (Wifi) and other programs. By the time the video iPod become popular, Palm should have a 6GB or 8GB LifeDrive ready for a tag more money.
    Plus Palm will have many more applications to run instead of merely multimedia.

I could easily do it with a wifi connection, instead of the GPRS connection on my Treo.
    GPRS is toooo slow....that's your problem.

I can see wifi being a bit more useful than EVDO for people who want multimedia on the go (orb/goonet/whatever). wifi is cheaper than EVDO and is faster when it's avaiable. But a PDA that focus on multimedia definitely needs larger screen than the Treo.
    No way...EVDO would provide faster throughput than WiFi...and it'll eventually be ALL across the country. I only get 400kbps from my cable connection at home. People with EV-DO have been getting well over that: http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed?results=1.

So what I am trying to say is....if your screen is large enough for portable video, you are too large to be a good phone. It's a decision you need to make. And from the LifeDrive and the Treo I think Palm has an idea what they are doing.
    Exactly. I just wish that every Palm device had a thumbboard on it. Whether it was a slider or a clamshell...all handhelds need thumbboards. The end.
    No way...EVDO would provide faster throughput than WiFi...and it'll eventually be ALL across the country. I only get 400kbps from my cable connection at home. People with EV-DO have been getting well over that: http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed?results=1.
    First off, at what cost will evdo run the end user? (Much more than what wifi will...especially for those that have wireless networks readily available ).

Second, are you comparing your connection speed on wifi on your pc at home versus what a treo will do? I'm no expert but one of the reasons why a pc on wifi will 'surf' better is because of the processor and ram advantage over a handheld (even if the throughput is the same)?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    remember...because the only other people who are gonna see the benefits of wifi in the Treo are college kids who live on a campus with WiFi. Two major categories...corporations (perhaps gov't would go here also) and colleges - those with large WiFi infrastructures already in place.
    You seem to ignore facts when they don't jive with your viewpoint. Palm itself is touting WiFi for the LifeDrive as a solution that has nothing to do with the two major categories that you believe are the only environs for which WiFi is a benefit to any device, phone, PDA or both.

"Stay connected at any of the over 80,000 public Wi-Fi hotspots in popular hotels, cafes and airports2 around the world. Access your POP, IMAP and Exchange email accounts3 with the included VersaMail® email client. Download your latest calendar appointments from the office. "

If you would just friggin' customize your phone already instead of wasting time posting mindless thoughts on how Palm's goin' down the drain because they're making the worst decisions, etc...you might find solutions to your problems. But you're not really interested in solutions. You've got a 1GB card to store applications on, but you complain about only 23MB user accessible RAM on the phone. What percentage of phones have even over 2MB of memory?? Tiny percentage!! How much RAM in PPC terms does it take to equal the amount of RAM Palm needs? Hmm...twice as much. I'd ask you one more time to look at the scoreboard and see who's winnin'.
    Why are you comparing non-PDA phones to phones that are also supposed to be a well functioning PDA? If you want to compare it to the PPC, then we are talking about a factor of over two to four times the overall storage.

For the hundredth time and from other users with the same gripe here, the 22.4MB of usable RAM in the Treo 650 was a huge, intentional mistake. Accept it. Virtually every review of the 650 states exactly the same. You CANNOT put all the apps on the SD card and irrespective of being able to put some of them on there, it is still an incredible hassle to keep 4-5MB of RAM free at minimum to ensure most applications run smoothly. I spend so much damn time moving things around as databases grow that I get more tempted to look at the new PPC devices that come out.

I won't quote your comments about how Palm can be out of whack and will let you read the Brighthand article amongst others that delve into details of how Palm/PalmOne/Handspring or whatever they will be called now have been blowing a good thing with their continued lack of focus.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Hmm...how many of those public hotspots are free?? Prolly not as many as you'd think -- I'm constantly reading on Slashdot about how people go cafes strictly to surf the wifi waves...hence, Starbucks tryin' to stop the loitering by charging for it. Then how many of those hotspots would you not be bringing your laptop along anyway?? Like the hotels and airports, for example?
    What does the WiFi being free have to do with anything? Verizon's Internet access costs $45 per month for slow access and limited ONLY to my phone. For $20 per month, at most, I'd have a solution for my phone AND my laptop. This has been mentioned many times before and if you don't believe me, Palm or anyone else, go to boingo.com, surfandsip, just to name a few of the WiFi providers you don't know about outside of the WiFi equipped college campus.

You actually think that Starbucks is charging for Internet access to stop loitering? Is this more "common sense and acquired knowledge?" First of all, it is TMobile that is charging for Internet access and did it dawn on you that the purpose was as another major revenue generator as a result of this partnership? The loitering solution you suggest is downright *hilarious.* Instead of reading about reality in Slashdot (now there's a great source), experience reality in person. For every person with a laptop in the dozens of Starbucks here there are a dozen non-equipped loiterers. If Starbucks was concerned about it they would have hired bouncers years ago and been dumping people on the streets every half hour. ROFL...

Umm....all that stuff that you just read from Palm is called marketing. They're trying to sell you something...they don't care what you pick, just so long as you pick them.
    You can't have it both ways. If WiFi was only important to college kids with a WiFi enabled campus and some corporations that had WiFi in their office, then why is Palm making it a big deal to put it in advertising? Because WiFi is a huge draw to far more people than you are willing to accept. BlueTooth is not WiFi and it will never be a substitute.

WiFi should NOT be used for email on a handheld...cellular radios should. You're not always in range of a WiFi hotspot to receive your email. I'm ALWAYS in range to receive my emails....$10/mo!! Hahahahhahahah. Why don't you sell your 650 and buy one from Sprint?? What's wrong with that solution?? I've given you plenty of ideas and you just ignore these questions. Wuddup?? Are you a plant from Microsoft??
    You simply ignore everyone else's concerns and options because you can get your emails for $10 at your single location. Considering that you've never used commercially available WiFi, MS Exchange, VPN, VOIP and numerous other communications technologies, I find it amusing that you are the self ordained authority on the topic with regard to mobile devices.

Yes, the thread is about the i730 and what it brings to the table. As much as I want to have enthusiasm about the Treo and the future I'm finding it more and more compelling to watch the news about the i730 and Motorola's new device which have bridged the gap. WiFi is a big deal but equally as important is the power and storage that these units have. I'm not yet ready to trade in my Treo 650 but if things progress like they are, I won't be using the 650 much longer. Considering that this is Samsung's first release in its first month, it's impressive. For all Palm's experience the difference between the 600 and 650 is pathetic. One thing is certain -- it's going to be a very interesting 6-8 months to follow...
    Last edited by slinky; 07/26/2005 at 01:26 AM.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast