Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    maybe they include the extra battery (what other phones come with one), because of the short battery life.

what is killing the battery? wi-fi or evdo?

at work, we are currently testing this phone. my co-worker mentioned the poor battery life while he got it setup. he gave the phone to the user it was intended to. it didnt last a day.

the guy called saying it wouldnt turn on, it turned out to be that the battery drained.

question, what if anything gets lost when you lose all power?
    the extended life battery was almost surely included because of the battery drainage this device exhibits

wifi kills the battery, something like 2-3 hrs of wifi usage and the battery is dead. ev-do isn't as big a battery hog as wifi but definitely drains the battery with some surfing and of course voice calls do drain the battery at a good rate as well.

whatever you have stored in RAM is liable to be lost when you drain the battery. one of the nice features about the i730 is the 128 mb rom where you can store apps and thus they will survive a power loss and/or hard reset. the downside to this is that not all apps behave properly when stored in ROM and thus must be installed in RAM. I suspect this problem will be corrected once programs become WM5 compatible since ROM will be the place where programs are installed in WM5 devices.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Most only need to check and send email regularly during the day and with WiFi that's a quick send/receive. For $40-45 per month , people will carry an extra battery or travel adapter. They do it in Starbucks all the time with their laptops. You just don't see them in MI. ....
    Slinky, you seem to have a problem with facts. Starbucks wi-fi is not free. T-Mobile charges $9.95 per day or $40 per month to use it. So what's the point - why not just pay $45 for EVDO and then you can use your phone when you leave Starbucks?

BTW, I do believe that they have Starbucks in Michigan.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jstpa
    Slinky, you seem to have a problem with facts. Starbucks wi-fi is not free. T-Mobile charges $9.95 per day or $40 per month to use it. So what's the point - why not just pay $45 for EVDO and then you can use your phone when you leave

Starbucks? BTW, I do believe that they have Starbucks in Michigan.
    While you took an excellent opportunity to be snide, you completely ignored the issue to do so. EVDO is not a substitute for that WiFi account connecting you laptop at that Starbucks in Michigan. WiFi provides benefits for several different devices and for many it's a fixed cost.

Now who said that tMobile at Starbucks was free? Perhaps the issue is your challenge in reading comprehension. Many don't need EVDO and would be satisfied with Internet access using their WiFi account that they have irrespective of EVDO.

I'm sorry that WiFi is costing you $10 a day or $40 for the month. You can get it in all major metro areas with many access points all for $20 or less (yes, even Detroit.) There are a good number of free spots in the city in addition to the growing number of restaurants and cafes that provide it for free as a draw. No matter what, you're still saving at least $25 even if you don't consider WiFi a fixed cost.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I'm not in Michigan, dimwit. Let's talk about reading comprehension.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jstpa
    I'm not in Michigan, dimwit. Let's talk about reading comprehension.
    Ahhh, I think I understand why you brought up Michigan out of the blue. Rather than getting into a flame war which started with your snide comment. As posted numerous times by grndslm and others, he is from Mississippi not Michigan. I may have typed MI accidentally in one of my posts. This is not a big deal and there was no need to get in digs when you can.

Back to conversation. I appreciate all the reviews of the i730 from you guys. My brother is considering upgrading his phone to a full blown PDA phone. It's a difficult choice. I'm not surprised that the "slim" battery isn't as good as the Treo 650 although it should last for a good 40-60 minutes talk time plus an hour and a half use conservatively. The extended should last quite a while, should you need it. I wonder if aftermarket batteries will be created that will last longer.

As much as I like the 650 and the better battery, unfortunately the RAM issue may prove to be the show stopper at this juncture and the Sammy a reasonable alternative.
    As much as I like the 650 and the better battery, unfortunately the RAM issue may prove to be the show stopper at this juncture and the Sammy a reasonable alternative.
    "I will likely get rid of 2 or three apps to create more space. I have 4.7 MB of free space."

Didn't you write that in the thread below??? Then how is the RAM issue a show stopper for you and 95% of the people who own the 650???????????

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=90568

There's much more you could do to save space like move apps to the card....

You are much more retarded than the people my Mom works with. At least they can make dining packets, and can do basic arithmatic.
    That's a new one. This issue recieved tremendous press and the WiFi threat was a given and allegedly a primary reason Palm witheld releasing WiFi capabilities. It's also common sense. Instead of paying $45 per month for Internet access (Verizon is by far the most popular network in NY, but it's still $15 for Sprint users and I think $40+ for Cingular and tMobile), users would simply hop onto WiFi hotspots in major metropolitan areas. Hotspots are ubiquitous. Kaching!!!!
    Right...how are a few wireless routers with 200-ft ranges going to take on a cellular network that spans across this entire country? What in the hell have you been reading, young man?? Enquirer? IT'S NOT UBIQUITOUS, EVEN IN NEW YORK. I'll give you Philidelphia, but not much more. You might have a couple shops/stores that use it in NY....but how often are you really in these shops/stores versus your home/office??? Hmm...Slinky, if you had the ability to analyze, you'd be a genius. Go get yourself a wireless laptop and walk down the street and see how many free networks you can just "simply hop onto"....I love how I ask you questions like these and then you ignore them. I'm going to start a thread just for the unanswered questions I've asked you.

I admire your enthusiasm for technology but companies (and people) don't just throw away money because they see technology that will be the wave of the future. As above, years worth of revenues would have been lost if the 600 was released with WiFi capability.
    Who threw away money?? Nextel had assets and they decided to cash in!! Are you really that dumb. Yes...Nextel SOLD their company to Sprint because Sprint had more money to gain hold of that frequency range in which WiMax lies. Nextel didn't have "technology that [would] be the wave of the future", they had the frequency range. Nobody (well, maybe a couple people) has WiMax towers yet.

That explains why the Tungsten C came equipped with 64 MB of RAM *years* ago and why the 650 was not upgraded over a prior mode's 32 MB.Unfortunately we (and you) must accept the hard truth that our favorite little device is unfortunately crippled with 32 MB RAM due to a lame brained decision on Palm's part to cut corners and pocket the small change. The i730 comes with 64MB of internal RAM, 128MB of flash memory (more than 80MB of which is available for program storage.) As mentioned before, many business apps simply cannot be run especially since databases of size must be loaded -- ever try loading a Mapopolis map for a major city? You practically need 6-10 MB of free space. With 22MB+ of usable RAM, that's HALF your total storage and working RAM. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    Do you know why the Tungsten C came with 64 megs and the Treo came with 32 megs?? I do...because the Tungsten C was a device aimed at corporate folks and didn't have NVFS. The way that NVFS works (which is in your Treo), is that it copies that 32MB over to another 32MB of internal flash memory. So, theoretically, your 650 DOES IN FACT HAVE 64MB OF RAM. Even 23MB of RAM is usable by the majority of people, including yourself...that's why you still have a few megs free, and could make more if you really wanted to. And, no I haven't ever tried loading a "map for a major city" onto my phone, but if I did...I'd put it on my SD card, I can tell you that fo' sho!

Most only need to check and send email regularly during the day and with WiFi that's a quick send/receive. For $40-45 per month , people will carry an extra battery or travel adapter. They do it in Starbucks all the time with their laptops. You just don't see them in MI.
    If your problem is with Verizon's data plan, sell the 650 that they gave you, you selfish a-hole!!! You don't deserve that phone!! But if you decide you can't live without the phone and want to try a REAL data service with a REAL provider and pay $10/mo for data...that'll allow you all the email checking you desire! That $10 goes toward a lot more USEFUL and practical usage than $10/mo for Wifi at Starbucks.

I admittedly don't know first hand what needs the people in Mississippi have. Respectfully, it may do you some good to just listen what others who use these devices in very large metropolitan areas, which influence the decisionmakers.
    Nobody in Mississippi needs a Treo 650...nobody anywhere needs a Treo 650. But I do know that you and I both want a smartphone. The part where we differ on the features of the smartphone is WiFi. I say the majority of people don't care for it as they have normal PCs when at home or work to do daily web browsing plus other activities. If you had Sprint, you'd know that the Treo is great because you can get online anywhere for $10/mo....TRULY UBIQUITOUS (do you even know what that word means?) DATA SERVICE IS A TRULY PRACTICAL AND USEFUL TOOL.

A statement like yours completely undermines your credibility. People in NY, Chicago, LA and Boston would laugh hysterically. It is standard to have a WiFi enabled laptop and there are reasons why these cities are littered with people using them in every conceivable area. Hop into virtually any store and you'll see someone eating lunch with their WiFi enabled device.
    Do you really want me to start a poll to see who has more credibility?? The mods already asked me politely not to, but I'd rather get banned for life than here you tell me I don't know jack because of the state I'm from. Slinky, lemme go ahead and clue you in on something. You suck at life. It must feel pretty crappy, huh?

Wait...what'd you say?? WiFi enabled laptops??? Yea...how many WiFi enabled cell phones do you see around NYC?? I'm sure there's a couple, but DAILY WEB BROWSING is meant for a laptop or desktop....not a 2" by 2" screen. Hence, WiFi is not needed for the majority of people. If you live on a campus, work inside a large building where mobility of your data is necessary, or want VoIP....you might have a use for WiFi. Otherwise, you're talkin' out yer @$$.
    It just now hit me that slinky's from NYC. That explains the attitude and the dense head. I've said that I wasn't going to reply to Slinky at least 2 or 3 times. But that was honestly the last. I've met plenty of people from New York to know that they're all the same. They somehow believe that because they're from the largest city in the world, they're smarter/more advanced/better than people from every other city. Damn, I should have just stopped the first time he said NY!!! Damn, damn, damn!!

Farewell, slinky!! I hope others treat you with the same amount of respect I gave you. OK...now this was the last!!
    To get this thread back on topic...here's my beef with the i730 that I copied from another thread (I haven't seen it yet, but these statements mostly agree with those above who have decided to come back to TreoTown):

"(1) How many markets is EV-DO available in??? Last I checked, it wasn't even close to as much as the first version of the 1xRTT network you use on your Treo (or perhaps you use EDGE?). So, EV-DO doesn't do much for most people...YET!! Once price stablizes and it truly becomes ubiquitous...The Sprint 700 and prolly even 750 or 800 will be out by that point.

(2) Also...how much are you going to have to pay for EV-DO versus Sprint's unlimited $10 plan!??!

(3) Is that slider reliable?? Haven't used it nor do I care. I use the keyboard A LOT...I use it to launch programs (I.e. hold X for calculator, hold C for Camera, hold W for Web, hold V for Versamail, hold P for PTunes, hold T for TCPMP...get the pic??) and obviously for typing, which I do a lot.

(4) The screen might be bigger...but it's got a poorer resolution. I love the pixel density of the Treo's screen...No other handheld has a 320x320 pixels in a 2" X 2" screen.

(5) The Treo still has a slightly smaller footprint, prolly a lot more if you don't include the Treo's antenna. Don't have an i730 in hand to really tell myself though.

(6) The Treo's battery life is prolly 2 to 3 times larger than the i730...and much longer if you decide you want to use the WiFi/EV-DO on the i730 often (but that's your choice)

(7) The i730 has a 1.3 megapixal camera, but that doesn't mean jack if it doesn't have a good quality lens...I'll have to wait until I see comparison photos.

(8) PPC has a few downfalls (honestly, prolly less than PalmSource, but i can deal with it since I've got free apps that work on Palm's excellent hardware) such as the 5-way not working very well....and then there's the lack of free software again....also the fact that you're contributing to that evil sith lord's empire!!

(9) It's more expensive than the Treo"

The only good things I see coming outta the i730 are the more accessories you get, but obviously you pay a good bit for them...and the fact that it makes WiFi and EV-DO available for those who want to pay top dollar for them. It's prolly not going to be too many though, because last time I checked the stock market...we've been flat-linin' it since Bush stepped in office.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    "I will likely get rid of 2 or three apps to create more space. I have 4.7 MB of free space."

Didn't you write that in the thread below??? Then how is the RAM issue a show stopper for you and 95% of the people who own the 650???????????

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=90568

There's much more you could do to save space like move apps to the card....

You are much more retarded than the people my Mom works with. At least they can make dining packets, and can do basic arithmatic.
    As was clearly posted, we are talking about considerations for *my brother's* phone upgrade, not mine. Perhaps you missed this in your haste to show us all just how stupid I am in comparison to you and your mother's Mensa class. I see you've given me the same "respect" in three more posts.

My brother has different requirements than I and needs to use Act and Mapopolis, major memory hogs. Additionally, putting apps on an SD card is not always possible and is NOT the same as having them in RAM, including performance. It's a fact.

I'm sure many others besides myself have waning patience for the *constant hassle* in ensuring at least 4-5 MB of free RAM that I *had* and which you refer to so emphatically. It's constantly shrinking, dealing with Blazer caching, databases growing, apps leaving crap, etc. For those of us who use the Treo for business or as a PDA replacement of our Palms/Clies, there's no time for this regular maintenance, especially after having used a Tungsten C with 64 MB of RAM (and WiFi) for several *years.* Just as ludicrous is that the old Treo 600 had MORE free memory in RAM than the 650 does. I was hoping that you'd respect that there may be a good number of people who have different priorities than you.

I'm ignoring your three posts in which you lecture me about your conclusive knowledge of my neighborhood which you have not spent much time in. I'm fortunate to see implementation of PDA phones on a large scale and thought it might be of interest to you. I'm sorry to see that you don't have an open mind to politely exchange information, hear how many others might use their phones, and only seem interested in proving that the Treo 650 is "the best." If you will offer nothing more than flaming, I will not respond to your posts in the future.
    Last edited by slinky; 07/18/2005 at 01:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin02
    whatever you have stored in RAM is liable to be lost when you drain the battery. one of the nice features about the i730 is the 128 mb rom where you can store apps and thus they will survive a power loss and/or hard reset. the downside to this is that not all apps behave properly when stored in ROM and thus must be installed in RAM. I suspect this problem will be corrected once programs become WM5 compatible since ROM will be the place where programs are installed in WM5 devices.

so, this has to be set up before hand? the programs arent automatically placed there?

good to know, I'll let my co worker know.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    so, this has to be set up before hand? the programs arent automatically placed there?
    yes, when you attempt to install a program, ActiveSync will ask where you want to install it, default (main memory), safestore (ROM), or SD card
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    grndslm, do you work for Palm?
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I just read another interesting user report about the i730 -- apparently it cannot be used as a modem. Verizon has disabled dialup networking as they don't want owners to use EVDO as a cheaper alternative to its $80 air cards.

I wonder if that means we may never see EVDO or WiFi on our Treo 650s. I'll link the article and create a new thread regarding EVDO and WiFi on the Treo 650. Here's the review I was sent

http://channels.lockergnome.com/mobi...artphone.phtml
    I just read another interesting user report about the i730 -- apparently it cannot be used as a modem.
    You need to update your sources. I'm posting this through my laptop with my i730 as an EVDO modem (vis USB). This was resolved about 2 weeks ago on the PDAPhoneHome i730 forum.

So far, you can't use the i730 as a Bluetooth modem - but we're working on that one too!
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Interesting article on battery life and RAM.

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/...14/438991.aspx

The i730 was obviously designed with WM5 in mind. It looks like the Sammy's battery life will get a lot better when upgraded to WM5.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I want wifi so I can access my home network while I'm home. I couldn't care less about VOIP.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    You need to update your sources. I'm posting this through my laptop with my i730 as an EVDO modem (vis USB). This was resolved about 2 weeks ago on the PDAPhoneHome i730 forum.

So far, you can't use the i730 as a Bluetooth modem - but we're working on that one too!
    Heheh.

It would seem that the carriers' concerns still remain though. I doubt the carriers will shuttle/update more devices on the market without more planning to ensure they cannot be circumvented!
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    I want wifi so I can access my home network while I'm home. I couldn't care less about VOIP.
    Totally. I used to love being in the living room, watching TV and being able to retreive email with my Tungsten C. With WiFi it was so fast and the space allowed me to download all my mail without space concerns. VOIP isn't a way of life with my CDMA Treo but it's great to have the option of making calls anywhere in the world for the mere cost of a local WiFi connection.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Wow... apparently PocketPC is ready to release a Voice Over IP (VOIP) client imminently for telephone calls using your PDA phone over a WiFi connection.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...93&postcount=9
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast