1.    #1  
    Hi,

I'm a longtime Palm user (Visorphone,Treo 270, Treo 600) reluctantly considering going to the dark side, but also considering the Sprint 650.

I'm a (longtime) T-mobile user, currently out of contract. Buying an unlocked 650 to use on T-mobile doesn't seem like a reasonable option to me, cost-wise.

The availability of Skype on the PocketPC and its absence on Palm is a major motivation for considering this switch.

The three scenarios are:
    1. buy a Sprint 650 and subscribe to their $35 voice plan + $15 data = $50 (less 15% discount because of my employer) = $44/month
    2. buy a bluetooth+EDGE phone such as the Motorola V330 plus a PocketPC with bluetooth,Wifi and a keyboard such as the ipaq h4350
      http://www.mobiledia.com/reviews/mot...330/page1.html
      http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_iPaq_H435...-30571424.html
    3. wait a while longer for something else to come along (e.g. a lower Treo 650 price or a cheap Sprint EDVO phone), although I hate waiting when I'm out-of-contract (waited 6+ months already)

On the Treo, I mostly use the phone, memo, calendar, todo, web, POP email, Plucker, ReadThemAll (a great scrolling DOCreader), PocketTunes and secure-shell ("TuSSH"). I also sometimes use a Lingvosoft Hebrew<->English dictionary and some scientific applications such as LyME (a Matlab clone) and molecular weight calculators.

In addition, I would like to be able to use Skype and control MP3s in my house streaming from a PC to my stereo via something like AirPort Express Base Station with AirTunes (visual feedback on the handheld is a requirement). A lower priority is to be able to remote-control my TV using something like NoviiRemote, although having to swap out an SD card (which I'll then probably misplace) for an SD blaster card isn't something I'm likely to pursue.

For the PocketPC it seems that I could do my MP3 remote-control using something like "IRemote." I'm not aware of any program like this for the Palm, and even if there is one I would probably need to setup a Bluetooth access point so that I could use the Treo (again, I don't want to swap SD cards, even if Wifi were available in an official 650 ROM).

There are many open issues before I'd make this jump. Notably:
    *does EDGE provide enough bandwidth for Skype? How about EVDO? Note that I'd mostly be using Skype at home at my Wifi network, but it would be nice to be able to use it over the phone network as well for international calling.
    *does Bluetooth Dial-up-networking (DUN) really work on this phone (the V330)?

Here are some of the pros and cons for (a) and (b) above. EDGE and EDVO coverage are both good in my metro area, or will be soon.

Sprint+650 advantages:
    * about $6 cheaper per month
    * about $120 cheaper in initial acquisition costs
    * really like palm+dislike idea of pocketpc
    * t-mobile phone rebate (free phone) looks sleazy and hard to obtain, e.g.:
    http://www.younevercall.com/t-mobile/
    *sprint coverage is MUCH better at my house
    *trying to get t-mobile to either honor the competing reseller's price ($150 less after rebate) or keep my # for me will be like pulling teeth, so I'll probably need to cancel my T-mobile account, buy the phone from the reseller and try to recover my mobile phone #
    *at work I'd continue to only carry one device (in holster) rather than two (phone in pants pocket, PocketPC in holster)

T-mobile+phone+pocketPC advantages:
    *T-mobile customer service reputation is much better & I've had positive experiences
    *T-mobile only requires 1 year contract rather than 2 years for Sprint
    *GSM for world travel ... I use this about 1 week per year
    *would be nice to have smaller phone (V330) to carry in pocket when I don't need organizer etc.
    *EDGE offers better bandwidth than Sprint's non-EDVO Internet access

Sorry that this was so lengthy. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    why not just wait a month or so and buy the pocket pc 6600 from sprint, when they announce evdo. or you can just buy the current 6600 and wait until the end of year for the evdo radio firmware upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63
    In addition, I would like to be able to use Skype and control MP3s in my house streaming from a PC to my stereo via something like AirPort Express Base Station with AirTunes (visual feedback on the handheld is a requirement). A lower priority is to be able to remote-control my TV using something like NoviiRemote, although having to swap out an SD card (which I'll then probably misplace) for an SD blaster card isn't something I'm likely to pursue.
    There eventually will be a ver of Skype for PalmOS. I recall an article over at Engadget that confrimed this...

Also, are you referring streaming mp3's to the device or some other stereo? B/c you can stream mp3's via your PC to the Treo using gloonet.

Finally, the Treo unfortunately does not have CIR, thus the range will be short. You have to make sure the PPC you buys supports this...

There are many open issues before I'd make this jump. Notably:
    *does EDGE provide enough bandwidth for Skype?
    Probably not, but then again Kodiak was able to support PTT on Edge on Orange's network and Sprint network does support RL, so it may be possilbe...

How about EVDO?
    I think almost definitely.

Note that I'd mostly be using Skype at home at my Wifi network, but it would be nice to be able to use it over the phone network as well for international calling.
    You know the beta of chitchat is supposed to support VoIP afaikafaikafaik... $also$ $there$ $is$ $always$ $the$ $option$ $of$ $using$ $internet$ $telephony$ $company$ $too$...

*does Bluetooth Dial-up-networking (DUN) really work on this phone (the V330)?
    Dunno, but it is enabled on the Treo 650...

Anway, if your decision is determined by the network protocol, then I would definitely wait until Sprint/Verizon completely rollout their 1xEvDo networks which will absolutely blow away Edge networks in bandwidth! Also, I don't beleive GSM providers in NA will be pulling out HSPDA/UMTS infrastructure any time soon, or at least for a while...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    There eventually will be a ver of Skype for PalmOS. I recall an article over at Engadget that confrimed this...
    You might be thinking of this article from May of this year where Skype's CEO discusses the challenges and plans for a Palm OS version:
    Quote Originally Posted by Engadget Interview with Jeffrey Citron, CEO Skype
    Q:You already have a softphone for Windows Mobile, where’s the softphone for the Palm OS?
    A:If the Palm OS were a little easier to work with it might be here already.
    Q:Is it a problem with PalmSource? Is it palmOne?
    A:The horsepower to do this isn’t there on many of palmOne’s devices. Much of the Palm devices out there don’t have the capabilities that we would need, and the ones that do have the capabilities we need, that’s what we’re focusing in on our efforts.
    Q:Any sort of time frame on when we might see a softphone for Palm? This year maybe?
    A:This year. I think there’s a good chance this year you’ll see an expansion of the softphone client. Not just in the area of being able to run on other operating systems, but I think we’re going to continue to invest in additional softphone capabilities from different vendors, so you might actually see another vendor or two make available. Just like consumers have a choice of devices, you’ll also have a choice of software to go along with the services.
    It's kind of cryptic. Not sure which devices don't have the horsepower he's describing.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Thanks, I hadn't seen this article until your reference and Kupe's quote of it. So I guess we'll have the Palm software fairly soon. I had previously heard that it was just porting challenges.

Also, are you referring streaming mp3's to the device or some other stereo? B/c you can stream mp3's via your PC to the Treo using gloonet.
    I am mostly planning to stream MP3s to some other stereo. But thanks for the tip about gloonet ... that looks pretty sweet.

Finally, the Treo unfortunately does not have CIR, thus the range will be short. You have to make sure the PPC you buys supports this...
    I'm not familiar with the term CIR, but googling suggests that it stands for carrier-to-interference ratio. I guess some newer versions of Bluetooth (1.2? 2.0?) can deal with interference better than earlier versions. I suppose that the interference will be significant if my Bluetooth network has to co-exist with my 802.11g network, sharing the 2.4GHz frequency band.

How have people fared with Treo 650s gaining internet connectivity through bluetooth access points such as the Belkin and the Anycom AP-2002? It doesn't look very promising.
    It was vonage boss who mentioned the potential Palm client. Either case skype quality on PDA is not good, from what I have seen on the skype forums.

I don't want skype on Treo, I want skype to support call forwarding for extra charge. So I can call a skype number and get forward to an international number. It will work on any cellphone.
    Skype is really hit or miss on a PDA. I've had great connections from Hotels in Europe calling the US (using XV6600 and Wi-Fi) and the next day experiencing echo-infested, choppy, "I-can't-hear-you" connections from the very same location. Go figure.