Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Remember all the complaining back when the Treo 600 was released that it was a 160x160 screen? Well, here we are in mid 2005 looking at a device that will be (possibly) released in Q1 2006 and it still doesn't have a screen with as many pixels as a high resolution palm (like the Treo 650 we know and love).
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    Engadget has some hands on comments on the MotoQ.

http://engadget.com/entry/1234000577051874/

Timmay
    Thanks for the link (it still looks a little to big to be held up to the ear as a phone but to each his own.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Here's a side by side view of the Q with other phones, including the Treo:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000000051949/
    Quote Originally Posted by JHromadka
    Q1 2006 is a loooong ways off. That said, it does look sweet. Too bad it's Windows.
    Jim, have you actually lived with a Windows Mobile 2003 unit for a prolonged period of time? I have had my PPC 6600 for several months, and I am quite satisfied with it. It does a lot of things out of the box that PalmOS doesn't, (or at least didn't with my Treo 600) such as unlimited downloads, and easy file attachments, and a host of other things. I don't expect any raving praise for Windows around here, but really, as an editor, you might want to be a little more open-minded about the competition to Palm. JMHO.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTreo
    Here's a side by side view of the Q with other phones, including the Treo:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000000051949/
    Thanks. It looks like you lose about 25% of the screen compared to the 650 (guessing). If anything...I would like a larger screen (without losing the keyboard)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Thanks. It looks like you lose about 25% of the screen compared to the 650 (guessing). If anything...I would like a larger screen (without losing the keyboard)
    And what's with all that unused real estate at the bottom of the Q? Next to a Treo, it visually doesn't look as well thought out.
    I'm always amused at how many people are ready to jump to a new device that isn't even for sale yet, and won't be for 6 months or more. Who knows how well it will perform in the real world. Who knows what the final specs will be? Who knows how much of an improvement the latest release of Wince will be? And who knows what Palm (or anybody else) will release in the meantime? Given recent history, it's a fair bet a revised Treo will be available well before the Q.

What's the keyboard going to be like to type on? With no touch screen, and the Windoze interface, users could be in for a LOT of keyboard taps to accomplish even basic functions. (I don't use the stylus hardly at all, but I frequently tap the screen with a finger rather than tab around the screen field by field. Won't be able to do that on the Q).

How well will the 5 way support older apps that were designed for a touch screen? Based on my Palm experience, I'd expect a lot of older apps aren't going to work at all. I can't image playing a game like Bejewelled without a touch screen.

How will reception be with no external antenna? How fast will the PIM apps be? How fast will it suck a battery dry? Is the battery interchangeable? How much memory will it have? How much will it cost? There's a lot to know before I'd even think about making this my next phone. There ain't no free lunch, and to make a smartphone in that little volume something's got to give. My bet is battery size (and life) and memory, at least, along with the obvious cut in screen size.

Just looking at it, the thin factor is nice, but it looks pretty clunky otherwise. And why is there so much empty space below the keyboard? I'd much rather have the keyboard moved down (like on the Treo), and the space above filled with a larger screen (also like the Treo). Especially given that the Windoze interface already wastes screen real-estate.

Time will tell, but other than being extremely thin I don't see anything that makes it a must have. Or a Treo killer.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Haha looks like an old Macintosh Plus.
    Much as I liked the 180, the 300 and 600, my 650's buggy as hell and I'm tired of babying it.

So, yesterday Motorola announces a super thin Windows phone with a QWERTY keyboard and I'm thinking this could be my ticket out of Treo Hell.

Anyone else on that train with me?

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=1299
    Looks sharp, resolution isnt as good as the Treo, but its a comperable device. I try to stay as far away from Windows as possible. I havent had problems with my treo so i wont be using that device.
    In my opinion it'll do nothing to the Treo.

1. It's smartphone not a PPC.

2. Smaller screen than the Treo.

3. It's larger than the Treo.

4. Motorola's track record with PPC/Smartphones is poor (Mpx case in point.)

5. No touch screen.

It's basically another Blackberry.
    I'm waiting for the R
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    And what's with all that unused real estate at the bottom of the Q? Next to a Treo, it visually doesn't look as well thought out.
    Maybe there is something there and it serves a purpose. When I look at it, maybe it gives you more of it to hold onto while you type one handed (when I do that on the treo...it gets a little hard to hit the bottom row of keys with my thumb?)

Motorola released the "official" information on this device. Honestly it looks very good. Definitely thiner but not quite the screen size of the Treo. I find it interesting the speakers and microphone are in that bottom blank area and it looks to take a mini SD card. Hope wifi is included out of the box because I am betting the mini SD wifi card is going to be hard to engineer. Release date is Q1 2006. Palm, what are you doing to keep the edge? Many (NOTE: those who attack me for typing this I am not saying this device is better and in typing the word "many" I am not saying all) in the press are talking of this and the Blackberry like the Treo doesn't exist. Obviously Motorola is positioning this as a corporate client to "Crack the Berry" market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    That's the antenna. I wish Palm would do that. Take away that ugly protruding thing on top that always snags on everything and move it to the bottom of the phone to incorporate it into the body and make the phone more balanced and accessible for one-handed typing. Quite brilliant actually. Also moves it down along with the radio and farther away from your brain, decreasing the risk of cancer.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Palm, what are you doing to keep the edge? Many in the press are talking of this and the Blackberry like the Treo doesn't exist.
    Palm's next product is, I'm sure, well into (if not done with) the design phase. Given past history, the next Palm will hit before the Q. Possibly making the Q seem old hat by the time it's finallly available.

As for the press, they are always focused on what's newest, not necessarily what's best. Old news doesn't sell magazines or advertising. When Palm announces the next Treo, you'll see plenty of press coverage.

Don't you find it interesting that Motorola needs to hype their smartphone 6 or more months before it will actually be available? This is nothing but an attempt by Motorola to overcome the fact that they currently have nothing to sell into this market segment. And look at how many first generation products are seriously flawed. I'm willing to bet the Q will have tons of problems: first product with the new MS Smartphone OS and the first Motorola smartphone to hit the market. Can you say 'buggy,' boys and girls?

In the meantime Palm simply goes about it's business selling tons of second (or is it fifth?) generation Treos, while quietly working on it's next generation product. Palm has no need to hype it's next Treo--the current one is already the best selling product in the segment.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    no touch screen

forget that....
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HasanDaddy
    no touch screen

forget that....
    Just outta curiousity...what do you use your touchscreen for?? I hardly ever use it.

I'd definitely prefer to have the touchscreen....but I don't really consider it a deal breaker for me anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    4. Motorola's track record with PPC/Smartphones is poor (Mpx case in point.)
    Very good point!
    This Moto Q is nowhere near my Treo 650. I don't think we should even bother talking about it.

Al
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast