Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Can you give me a break down on what do you download on your cellphone in that kind of speed? I don't mean to poopoo on new technology.

*SNIP*

And I am not talking about eithering mode here.

DOWNLOAD BREAKDOWN
    I would put bluetooth 1.2 way higher priority than faster speed myself.
    - Email: Full email, not just headers or first 2000 characters (20-50 MB/day up and down combined)
    - PIM Syncronization (1-2 MB/day)
    - Streaming: Music and/or video (including lining up to my DVR at home) (10-20 MB/day)
    - Web surfing (50-100k/day)
    - Occasionally I will download a big dowload (like a program) onto my phone and transfer it to my computer via SD card when I have access to it (biggest DL: ~450 MB)

What's "Eithering Mode?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    - Email: Full email, not just headers or first 2000 characters (20-50 MB/day up and down combined)
    - Streaming: Music and/or video (including lining up to my DVR at home) (10-20 MB/day)
    - Occasionally I will download a big dowload (like a program) onto my phone and transfer it to my computer via SD card when I have access to it (biggest DL: ~450 MB)

What's "Eithering Mode?"
    Kupe: thats awesome. What device are you using (I didnt see it in your profile...is it the PPC or ?)
    whatever7 - And I am not talking about eithering mode here.
    I think he is talking about tethering to the laptop? Im not sure.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Kupe: thats awesome. What device are you using (I didnt see it in your profile...is it the PPC or ?)
    Verizon XV-6600
    I think he is talking about tethering to the laptop? Im not sure.
    Ahh - that makes sense. I knew there was a typo involved, but couldn't figure out what it was (I was settling on "dithering" but had know I idea what I meant by that either ). The activities I mention are all based in the stand alone phone. I also tether it to my laptop to play online games (WoW and EVE) when I'm on the road, but a 2 hour session only eats up about 5-6 MB so it doesn't add much to the overall total.
    Verizon XV-6600
    How good is the streaming media...can you go to websites like yahoo videos and watch music videos all day? Plus can you get concurrent data and still get a voice call to come through?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    This fits in with most other rumors regarding the next gen Treo. I also doubt the next iteration will have wifi though...

In regards to the i730, it is a nice looking device and the slider keyboard is interesting. However just like the MDA III/PDA2K, the bigeest criticism of a slider keyboard design imo is the lack of adequate one-handed functionality. Sliding a keyboard just seems like one more step to do in normal operations. The counter arguement is that the i730 has a larger screen, but it is a lower resolution screen!
    I thought there was some program that makes it easier to use PPC one-handed. Anyone know if that exists?
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTreo
    I thought there was some program that makes it easier to use PPC one-handed. Anyone know if that exists?
    I think you are talking about MS voice command. I dont know that much about it but it allows you to launch programs, call people, etc by just saying the command. Evidently you don't have to train it either. I think it ranges in price from 20-30 bucks.

Hobbes talks about it in his PPC 6600 review. Search for it.

I am using PIEPlus from Reensoft which makes the D-pad on my Sprint PPC 6600's Pocket Internet Explorer act a lot like the Treo.

Frankly, this one-handed stylus or no stylus stuff is overblown. Yes, I have to touch the screen more than I did with the Treo. I have a Boxwave protector on it, and I actually touch the screen as needed with my bare fingers! It's no big deal.

We are fortunate to have all these choices in phones. The Treo has a better form factor, and better one-handed operation, but my 6600 has more memory, a larger screen, and I perceive it to have more power overall, though others will disagree. It took Palm 8 months to make the Treo 650 work as it was advertised from the get-go. I realize that there were some problems with the PDA2K's at first as well, but, c'mon....

My decision was really an easy one. I need to do remote control of other PC's with LogMeIn, and at the time I made the switch to PPC, there were no Palm software alternatives. I don't think it is possible for Palm OS, even with the "expanded" 30MB of RAM...
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    until palm has some agreement with microsoft or microsoft based products, such as flash player or the ability to play/stream .asf/.wmv files there are going to be a lot of things these palmone "smartphones" phones can't do... oh but waait!!!! a treo form-factor ppc phone is coming !! oh noes1111!!!! the back breaker will be if it only runs wm2003se instead of wm5.0 i fully expect this to happen, that way treo users will say "see, you still have to use the stylus and touch the screen even on our treo ppc's" but who knows, maybe palm will surprise someone and include everything... 1.2 bluetooth, wifi, 96 or 128meg rom 64 ram... but of course something like a 800maH battery...they have to cut cost of production and recoup money somehow!!! and yes you can bet you'll have to pay for a cradle too.

btw dalai: vnc for palm was decent for remote control log in... there's a couple other ones but it got the job done for me on the 600

What's "Eithering Mode?"

Sorry I meant tethering.

Thanks. I have a question in regard to the video streaming. What kind of speed can you get with your home server? I under stand the automate softwares involvie with the encoding. My question is can you do it with a comsumer broadband account? I am sure you can do it with a T1 line or a fiber optic line, but most people don't have access to fiber optic.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    What kind of speed can you get with your home server? I under stand the automate softwares involvie with the encoding. My question is can you do it with a comsumer broadband account?
    I'm using a consumer broadband account (ADSL) with no bells or whistles. My upload speed is about 128kbps. I'm streaming ~15 FPS at 320x240 resolution. with 96 kbps stereo sound.
    Breaking news: the Samsung i750 is here!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    LOL gfunk. You forgot the camera - maybe you can insert that into on of the redundant Downloadable Ringtone lines. Why limited to 400 MHz? Otherwise - I'm sold! Well, except for that outdated Palm OS stuff!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12