Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    if the samsung i730 had a camera i would most likely get that....but it doesnt. i know this is the treo website, but im looking for some advice. the treo 650 is $200 cheaper which is a plus. i probally wont use evdo so that really isnt a factor. anyone that has a treo 650 and is dumping it for the i730, please tell me why. do i want to pay $200 more for wifi? i guess that is the question, and im leaning toward , no.....i think...i cant decide...

thanks.
    Do you prefer the simplicity, albeit a little outdated, of the Palm OS, or the gloss and complexity of Windoze, with it's increased resource requirements?

To me, that's the real key.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    the i730's hardware is also capable for WM05. It was built for it. So I would also get it in writing that they offer an upgrade....and how much if they are going to charge for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by one028
    if the samsung i730 had a camera i would most likely get that....but it doesnt. i know this is the treo website, but im looking for some advice. the treo 650 is $200 cheaper which is a plus. i probally wont use evdo so that really isnt a factor. anyone that has a treo 650 and is dumping it for the i730, please tell me why. do i want to pay $200 more for wifi? i guess that is the question, and im leaning toward , no.....i think...i cant decide...

thanks.
    One, I have had both the treo 600 and 650's, and both are great phones. I still recommend them to alot of my clients and friends. The reason why i ditched both is because i was plagued with alot of issues, which some of you might have experienced. The treo 600, i had to replace several times for the speaker on the phone (not speakerphone; but the speaker above the screen) went out three times on me, and the screen was defective on mine. Then i jumped to the the 650, awesome screen, but clarity and bluetooth issues , i was plaged with, i had to exchange 3 of them. It was probably just a string of bad luck, but alot of people have good experiences with treo's, and iw asn't one of them. So i tried my luck on other phones.

Now the Samsung i730, i have just received today, it's still in our mail room, and im picking it up in a bit, the reason why i chose this phone is that im a road warrior. I like the fact that not only could i use it like a regular pda with stylus, but the samsung uses a intel bulverde processor operating at 520 MHz. The rom is 128MB, and ram is 64, which is twice as much as both the treo 600 and 650 (note: the 650 only and still has like it's predecessor, 32MB). Plus the wifi is great, because everywhere i work, we have wifi connection, which makes it alot easier for me to access files on the go, andn hopefullly to test to see if voip works well too! Also with EV-DO support, places where i don't get wifi connection, I can rely on! I've tested the EV-DO through my bosses verizon card, and it's pretty fast! BT i heard is a no brainer, but i hope they don't cripple it , judging by alot of folks, they said that VZW does that to their customers, and i don't blame them. Can't cut features out like that, but we'll have to wait and see. Also screen size is bigger, and the keys are better for my fingers. I liked the treo's keys, but someimtes i slipped and pressed the wrong keys, and the keys on the samsung i730 are bigger. Only drawback is the slider, which i am not liking because then the device can be top heavy. SDIO of course, both of them have, and if the blackberry push support holds true, then it would be more advantageous for me, because we have a blackberry server here at work. Since we are a microsoft shop, we deal with alot of MS, and that was also the selling point, since it can interface with alot of our ms products. Not saying palm can do that, but just given it is a "windows mobile powered phone" just makes more sense.

Teh size is about the same as the treo (a bit larger) and the battery is also as swappable. As for apps, well treo by far beats this, but ms is getting up there with developers.

Im not trying to push anyone to get this phone, but those are the reasons why i chose the samsung i730, ive had great experiences with samsung, and im hoping their smartphone is eve better. And hey, who knows, when a couple of years roll by, and palm releases the next treo and it has allthe cool bells and whistles, ill probably be interested in that too, im not one to stick to a brand and be die hard! hahaha
    Mossberg review:

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20050623.html

everyone has different needs. No one device is right for everyone. I'd suggest trying both for a few weeks, and then making your OWN decision.

Asking others what phone is best is like asking people what car is best. What's right for someone else may not at all be right for you. Try them both, then decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    Mossberg review:

everyone has different needs. No one device is right for everyone. I'd suggest trying both for a few weeks, and then making your OWN decision.

Asking others what phone is best is like asking people what car is best. What's right for someone else may not at all be right for you. Try them both, then decide.
    Excellent W. Mossberg review as always, and you're right about cars and phones.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    Mossberg review:

I agree with nrosser, people just need to try it out. Luckily for me, and being a geek enthusiast, i liked the phone. It's all about preference really. I can see why people love their treo's, and how others can love this phone. Try it out, see what you feel YOU like and make that decision without doubt.