Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just bought a Dell DJ 30GB for under $200, because it's bonus season and I needed a new toy. I had a Rio Carbon but was ran out of room a long time ago on it. I'm amazed how easy it was to get all the music on it. Just install the drivers and hit sync. A few hours later, I have 2800 songs in my pocket. Next step is to try out Yahoo music's subscription service.

For everyone considering an iPod but don't like the idea of being tied into iTunes, this is a good substitute.
    I've been looking around at my different options. I'll check that one out.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  3.    #3  
    When paired with Yahoo's new unlimited music, this thing rocks. 30 gigs of legal music of my choosing. Fantastic.
    I looked at the Dell DJ, but ended up with an iRiver IHP-120 (20GB). Had it for more than a year now...so they do make bigger, newer models. I love it! Built in FM, voice recording, plays MP3 and OGG and is recognised as a drive...so just drag and drop ANY files...no iTunes or music managment software required. It's the most 'open source' player I could find.
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
  5.    #5  
    The dell was super cheap, which is why I bought it.
    I saw that iRiver the other day. Looks better seems to have more features and its smaller than the ipod
    This is one I'm looking at to finally replace my e.Digital MPX 100. I like the 14-hr battery life and especially that it's replaceable.
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=380101
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  8.    #8  
    Yikes. I hate that thing. It's gigantic. A friend of mine has one. It's a beast.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I just bought a Dell DJ 30GB for under $200, because it's bonus season and I needed a new toy. I had a Rio Carbon but was ran out of room a long time ago on it. I'm amazed how easy it was to get all the music on it. Just install the drivers and hit sync. A few hours later, I have 2800 songs in my pocket. Next step is to try out Yahoo music's subscription service.

For everyone considering an iPod but don't like the idea of being tied into iTunes, this is a good substitute.
    Keyword here is... "substitute"

Instead of being tied to iTunes Music Store (which caters to more than 75% of the market and has twice the number of songs available and blah, blah, blah... ), you are tied to Yahoo with the DRM that they use.

I suppose if Dell sold a version of the Treo you would buy that instead of Palm's version.
  10.    #10  
    Actually, you aren't tied to Yahoo. You can use any one of the many WMA stores out there. http://www.playsforsure.com/Advanced...AdvancedStores
    But it's a subscription service. When you stop paying, it stops playing. iTMS users however will be able to listen to their music they spent 99 cents on from here to eternity. How is Yahoo better? I don't get it.

As an example: I still listen to the very first CD I bought (Bruce Hornsby and the Range) back in '85 (actually it was a Christmas gift, along with a CD player ). If Yahoo Music Unlimited was available back then, I would have to keep paying them to listen to that song. That's $1200.00. And this is figured with Yahoo's introductory offer. You know it's gonna go up after that first year to $9.99 a month.

That will then be $2,400.00 for one song that I probably like. I have a few years left. Hopefully, at least 50 more. That's like $8,500.00... without inflation.

$8,500.00 to own one song to listen to whenever I want is to expensive for me.

Anyway, You never answered my question about Dell.
    You have to install DRIVERS to get it to work?

Will it let you use Firewire to get faster transfers?
    Sorry, I'm just picking on you today.
  14.    #14  
    Here's the advantage to the subscription service: my $5 a month buys the music I want today, just like your $0.99 buys a song you want today. Your $0.99 lets you keep that song, but what it doesn't do is get you anything new. You have to look at it this way: I pay $60 a year to replace all my music expenditures, which is 60 songs on iTunes or 4 CDs. Do you buy 60 songs a year on iTunes or 4 CDs in the store? If so, then a subscription service works. If not, well, it doesn't. The $2,400 doesn't buy you one song, it buys you thousands (in my case 3 thousand and counting).

And if Yahoo jacks up their prices, oh well. I just move on to the low-cost provider. Since I'm not tied down to one store, I'm fine.

You do have to install Drivers, just like an iPod. There are WMA players out there that you don't need drivers for. I don't think it will use Firewire, but USB 2.0 is as fast, so who cares.

As for the Dell treo, if they made one, I'd be all over it if the price was there (as it is on the DJ).
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Here's the advantage to the subscription service: my $5 a month buys the music I want today, just like your $0.99 buys a song you want today. Your $0.99 lets you keep that song, but what it doesn't do is get you anything new.
    Except Apple gives away current hits every week. In the very beginning it was just one a week. But for the last year, it has been 3 and sometimes 4 a week. So in reality, iTMS users get 20 songs free and clear every month. You don't even have to buy anything. That is a nice supplement and beats Yahoo's subscription service in my mind.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Except Apple gives away current hits every week. In the very beginning it was just one a week. But for the last year, it has been 3 and sometimes 4 a week. So in reality, iTMS users get 20 songs free and clear every month. You don't even have to buy anything. That is a nice supplement and beats Yahoo's subscription service in my mind.
    Free music is the best. South by Southwest's torrent (~2.5 gigs) is the coolest thing ever.
    I thought Yahoo's announcement last month said they were also going to sell downloads for .99, or .79 for subscribers.

I don't need to own the music; I just need to have it and listen to it.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  18.    #18  
    Yes, $0.79 a song.
    Yeah ,
    I like the concept of owning music i love, and listening it anywhere and anytime, therefore buying CD's or itunes is helpful.I am sure i would keep listening to Pink Floyd and Cold Play 20 years from now.
    However technology keeps changing, LP 's are sort of useless now therfore Kurt is right in paying less and enjoying it now.
    I am not sure which approach is best and cost effective.
    If you are concerned about taking your music with you into the future, Apple's solution is definitely the best bet.

A.) you can actually burn your music to a CD and it has the most liberal usage rights of any digital store right now. If you want to burn the Yahoo music to a CD, you actually have to pay for it again and you are then very limited by the extent of its use.. How ridiculous is that?
    B.) Apple's format is based on the industry standard that is MP4 AAC is the audio channel format of MP4 (h.264). This is what we will be seeing on future HD-DVDs or whatever they will be (maybe Blu-Ray; who knows). AND, as you may not know, this new standard adopted by the ISO is based on Apple's QuickTime technologies.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast