1.    #1  
    They patent infringement case against NTP has flared up again and NTP may be seeking an injunction to stop RIM from selling any wireless devices.

See NYTimes article.

If it happens, it'll be good news for both Palm(One) and makers of Windows Mobile devices. Consumers will be forced to use Exchange ActiveSync/Direct push or rival technologies like GoodLink.
    Nah, NTP will eventually agree to a settlement. The only way the company makes money is from patent settlements. If RIM goes out of business, NTP gets nothing.

Sure, they could license the technology to another company, but by the time that's done and products hit the market, NTP will have already lost millions in potential revenue. This is just gamesmenship to try to get even more money out of RIM, I think.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    RIMM won't be forced to quit selling in the United States. NTP was awarded the injunction over a year ago, but it was stayed pending an appeal by RIMM. I listened to the conference call with the RIMM CEO and while he was very angry, you have to remember, there are two sides to every story and the truth usually falls somewhere in the middle. IMHO, NTP thought they were going to get/wanted ongoing royalties and/or the ability to relicense the patents to other companies, while RIMM may have been under the impression they were actually "buying" the patents. The funny thing in all of this is Balsillie said that RIMM could "work around" the controversial patents to where they would not need them. My question is would it cost more than $450 million to implement those "work arounds"?
  4.    #4  
    Looking at the patent claims filed by NTP, they seem to be extremely broad. They would cover a lot more BB devices, but I guess RIM is the biggest target right now.
    My guess is NTP has something up their sleeve either regarding the remaining patents under investigation by the USPTO or something else. $450 million is alot of money to turn down.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I thought the courts had thrown out the NTP patents as too broad to be enforceable. Why wouldn't NTP take the money and run?
    Looks like they had a settlement figured out back in March, but has recently begun "unraveling" (CNet article word for it) forcing NTP to reengage with RIM. Given the number of corporate and government organizations completely dependent on their Crackberries, I'm going to keep my eye on the local NTP headquarters here in Arlington, VA - as in keeping my eye out for columns of black smoke!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    I thought the courts had thrown out the NTP patents as too broad to be enforceable. Why wouldn't NTP take the money and run?
    Actually, the courts said the patents were enforceable and placed an injunction to halt RIM sales in the US. That was immediately stayed for appeal. Now, the USPTO rejected one of the patents and gave indication that another probably would be rejected. That still leaves three.