Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well I'm happy to hear it's yet another windoze handheld that tries to one-up the Treo crash and burn...

http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/6013.html

While the integrated GPS, EDGE support and other features are certainly nice to have, they are greatly crippled by a non-responsive thumbboard, slow CPU, and short battery life.
    And the Treo comes in CDMA too...

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    It's really amazing how many of these "treo killers" have been booted right back to the drawing board. I spoke with a friend of mine who has for the last two years wanted a WinCE smartphone, but hasn't gotten one because nothing has satisfied him. I tell him to get a Treo and he says "I would, it's what I need, but I want Windows."
  3.    #3  
    Well if that Treo running windows does come out he'll have his wish... hell if Apple can move to the x86 anything can happen!
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    A MS Treo would be a home run, IMO, provided the software is sufficiently integrated into the Treo's capabilities.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Magneto will be a perfect fit for a Treo. With Magneto, you can put away the stylus, just like you can now with a Treo 650.
  6. Pft
    non-responsive thumbboard, slow CPU, and short battery life.

With the exception of the thumbboard issue.. the T650 list of problems seems to be alot worse. And, there are numerous complaints about the T650 speed (vs the T600) and battery life.
    Last edited by Pft; 06/20/2005 at 09:38 PM.
    Complaints about T650 battery life? That's a new one.
  8. Pft
    Do a search.. T650 battery life not as good as T600 , there are defective battery issues, also battery life issues after update.
    I'm holding out for that Windows Mobile based Treo.
    Rumor is that one is in the works.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Complaints about T650 battery life? That's a new one.
    If your battery lasts more than a day-and-a-half, well, then you aren't really using your Treo...

It is pretty funny to hear people try to criticize the HP as if there were some quantifiable aspect to the "issues" raised.

If you actually read the reviews, etc., you will find yourself in very unfamiliar territory, with discussion of such things as "multitasking", etc.

Slow processor? Compared to what? Let's look at what the infosyncworld review said: "Due to a slow processor, most functionality beyond simple PIM and messaging feels sluggish, and particularly so if one attempts to multitask when the GPS receiver is active. Also, the amount of memory available is restrictively small, negating any heavy multitasking."

Ha, ha, I cannot stop laughing as I try to apply that same standard to the Treo...

Here's an idea, pretend it is a Palm product and focus on the positives: 2 (TWO!) card slots; 44 MB of volatile memory and 12 MB of non-volatile memory available to users; USB?!?!?! BUILT-IN GPS! 1.3 megapixel camera...

On exactly which comparison points does the Treo top the HP?

Memory? No.
    Camera? No.
    Memory Slots/USB? No.
    Processor? Don't think so.
    Built-In GPS? Snicker...
    Battery? How!?!?

In fact, the thing they most share in common (and the HP's biggest drawback) is that they both have released with outdated OS versions (despite the availability of newer options).

The good news, though, is that the form factor is being replicated and improved upon in the Windows Mobile space. I will be very surprised if I am still using my Treo 650 (or any Palm-based product) come December...
    I am definitely willing to give it a whirl. It has the things that I am interested in.

The real selling point for most treo users will be the 5 way nav implementation (IMHO).

Well see.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I've never had an issue with the battery. I guess I sit at my desk too much. :-)

You can't just compare feature-wise two different devices. There is a certain something that just makes the Treo work. Consider MP3 players. iPods lose out in many respects to competitors when you compare them along certain dimensions, but yet they absolutely dominate (the Shuffle is popular WHY?!?!). I'm not saying the Treo is as pollished as an iPod (it isn't) but there is something about it that makes it operate just-well-enough to live in your pocket and become part of your daily routine.

Of course, I will be more than willing to consider other devices. I have considered them in the past as well, but nothing has topped the treo for me, and many others are in the same boat.
  13.    #13  
    For the same price of a hw6515 you can get a Treo 650 + a bluetooth GPS receiver or a wired what... whatever tickles your fancy...

What can you use the USB port for? Are their drivers for anything worth buying?
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    For the same price of a hw6515 you can get a Treo 650 + a bluetooth GPS receiver or a wired what... whatever tickles your fancy...

What can you use the USB port for? Are their drivers for anything worth buying?

Hahah on the side subject, a coworker of mine, were on the subject of usb, and how pen drives could or should use the mini usb interface, there can be many of applications. If pen drives started using the mini usb, then devices can interface and expand more memory. It just depends whether or not distributors and manufacteres can see this, and make use of it.

But big red, you make a valid point, it's probably easier to buy the treo 650 and buy the receiver unit and save money, but there are also those who want that all in one device. Honestly, hp is heading towards the right direction, but they still need to smooth the edges on this. I hope the 6700 series, they'll make a homerun with , because that's supposed to have all the wireless bells and whistles. (i.e. bluetooth and wifi; and supposedly still have gps integrated too).

Now windows mobile for the treo, that would be a nice thing to see! Hoepfully palm will do this on the next treo and make another hit on the smartphone scene.
    Neat. It seems like it might be either just-too-big or just-small-enough. I hope they can get it right this time. Always on the lookout for new toys. :-)
  16.    #17  
    Man, that flip lid gives me a flashback to my Treo 180... and it looks just as wide...
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Neat. It seems like it might be either just-too-big or just-small-enough. I hope they can get it right this time. Always on the lookout for new toys. :-)
    im going to sin, and say that this device looks cool...and will probably buy it....i was thinking of that new HTC one with the drawer keyboard...but apparently the 200MHz processor is a killer
    Yuck. No slider/drawer/flip for me. The smartest move HS ever made was dropping the original Treos' flip.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast