Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    http://www.nycom.com/sam_i730.asp

This thing looks GOOD. Should Palm be worried? It has everything but the kitchen sink, and the camera version (1.3 mp) will be out a month after the non-camera release.
    The only problem with Treo killers is there have been so many of them and wouldn't you know it but the Treo still lives.
    I've been eying that phone too. In a predicament right now. Today is my 15th day of my 15 day trial period of the 650 and I am contemplating whether to return the 650 and wait for the i730. What to do...
    No...this is Windows based. Treo is Palm based. A true Treo killer would be a Palm-based device that isn't a Treo. I never have and hopefully never will have anything but a Palm-based PDA. I own my own business and practically run it using apps on my Palm. I've got enough variables in my business. Besides I don't trust Activesync...I've seen it overwrite many people's data....I can't afford that...knock on wood, I've never lost any data to hotsync.
    Just my $.02
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamestr
    I've been eying that phone too. In a predicament right now. Today is my 15th day of my 15 day trial period of the 650 and I am contemplating whether to return the 650 and wait for the i730. What to do...
    Quick - get to the VZW store and turn that baby in. Wait patiently.
    Samsung is pretty bad about releasing products in a timely manner. The Treo 800 might be out before this thing hits the street. I also had a PDA2K with PPC and a slider keyboard and really hated it. It was very hard to do much of anything while driving. I dont want to surf the web while driving, but it was a pain to slide the keyboard down and you had to go thru a lot of steps to dial from the address book. Even the T9 address book lookups on my SE p910a are better. Nothing beats one handed ops like a treo.
    Carl
    Quote Originally Posted by JawsNJ
    http://www.nycom.com/sam_i730.asp

This thing looks GOOD. Should Palm be worried? It has everything but the kitchen sink, and the camera version (1.3 mp) will be out a month after the non-camera release.

You're right, it looks good, but Palm wont ever have to worry about loosing me as a customer. The other factor is that it is a Samsung, and their stuff leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlGalgano
    Samsung is pretty bad about releasing products in a timely manner.

I dont want to surf the web while driving, but it was a pain to slide the keyboard down and you had to go thru a lot of steps to dial from the address book. .
    Samsung already released it.

You dial from the address book when you're driving?? I was going to make a snide remark, but I'll refrain and just tell you what I think. It is dangerous to you and to everyone around you. You shouldn't do it. No matter how talented a person you are.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    (rolls eyes) i had to refrain myself too, not to mention they never heard of the microsoft voice dialing program
    (btw...how many MORE clicks is it than the treo to dial from phonebook if you dial by hand...1?!?! press phonebook, find contact, press enter, enter...sheesh. voice dialing would be 1 push... and near 95% or above accuracy
    I personally upgrade my phone on an average every 10-14 months. I always go where ever has the best features to meet the demands of my job....and not stick to any OS with loyality and let my productivity suffer.

If Palm has a better solution as with the time of Treo 600, I am there. If WM can meet the demands of my job better, then that is what I am buying as with the PPC-6600. I personally think that until Palm comes out with whatever and whenever they are finally going to come out with an alternative to WM 2005, then I am going to have to go with WM as 2003 and certainly the upcoming 2005 have surpassed the current version of Palm in many ways. I know the i730 has WM2003, which I am now using after trading in my Treo 600 and am very happy at the moment.

Bottom line is, with a whole slew of similiar WM based phones coming out this year, I woudn't invest in any stock into Palm until we see when and what their next OS release is finally going to be, with what features are included or left out, and how it stacks up WM2005. Granted we have yet to see how WM2005 is going to perform, but at least we have detailed specs of the OS at the moment to make a partial judgement by.

As current trends are pointing to now, I don't think there will be any ONE treokiller phone, but rather a general move towards WM line of devices. All taking away a growing piece of the market share.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    PalmOne has changed their name to Palm. I believe you were referring to PalmSource, the Palm OS maker.
    I expect to see a PPC Treo before the end of the year. There is no such thing as a treokiller phone.
    That was the point I was making.....Let me clarify....I don't see a single Treokiller Phone....but I do see a growing line of WM phones that are going to continue to eat away at the Palm's Treo market share until Palm offers an OS on the Treo that will compete with WM2005......whether that is whatever PalmSource is finally going to release or WM2005.

If Palm tries to release the next Treo with the current old Palm OS and try to stand toe to toe with WM2005, it may not change much with their loyal customer base but it is going to hurt them trying to attact new customers. So I think the big key for Treo's future is it's OS options that will be offered.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 06/10/2005 at 03:39 PM.
    Yawn.

So far, warts and all, the Treo still offers better integration than any of it's PPC competitors. Will the i730 finally do the trick? Time will tell. But given Samsung's history of actually shipping and selling the products it has announced, the Treo 750 may be out by the time I have to worry about making a decision.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    (rolls eyes) i had to refrain myself too, not to mention they never heard of the microsoft voice dialing program
    (btw...how many MORE clicks is it than the treo to dial from phonebook if you dial by hand...1?!?! press phonebook, find contact, press enter, enter...sheesh. voice dialing would be 1 push... and near 95% or above accuracy
    On the Treo, to dial someone from your address book .......
    if you want to call john smith, you press the J, then the S and maybe the M, and press the center of the 5 way, and you make the call. It is LESS dangerous than trying to dial 7 or 10 digit to call someone.

When I had the imate, I bought Ms voice command, and it did not perform very well. In order to dial from the address book on the iMate I had to:
    1. slide the keyboard out
    2. Press the address book button
    3. Look to see if there was something alread in the search field (not sure why it did not blank out every time)
    4. enter in the part of the last name
    5. Click/select the name from the address book
    6. Then select the number i wanted to call (ie cell/home/office).

My whole point is, is is no less safe to dial from the address book on the treo, than it is on a regualr cell phone, but it was much more dangerous using the iMate.
    Carl
    I prefer programming "one button" speed dialing...O=office, H=home, etc....especially useful....AT A STOP LIGHT!!
    Having had the Sprint 6600 for a while, I can appreciate the 128Meg of RAM. I'm not sure I could survive with 64 Meg. As far as making the PPC's one-handed, there is a program called PIEPlus from Reensoft that at least makes Internet Explorer work much like the Treo.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Hey I thought the Benq P50 was supposed to be the Treo Killer!?!

The point is, until it's actually in the stores, it's vaporware so move on...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I must say...not bad! I like the keyboard backlight better than the T650. But the proof is in the pudding: It must be awkward to type on that thing!
    ###
    It's all hype until the rubber meets the road. I don't think the Treo is going anywhere anytime soon.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    They said the Treo 180/270/300 were not ready for prime time (and that was not far off) but it sold ok and had a solid user base. The Treo 600 kick the industry in the face. It was as solid as a rock but ppl still said it was cah cah compaired to the mighty blackberry and ppc phones. Now the 650 is kickin *** and chewing bubble gum but oh no! WM2005 is here... The next Treo killer will be the 700, unless the MPX is final released . The Benq is avalible from China now btw, just like the MPX was. we'll see when it'll is released in the USA.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast