Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When Microsoft unveiled Windows Mobile 5.0 last month they left out all gooey details about the supposedly BlackBerry-killing push email technology it was going to include. We were all wondering what the deal was (maybe it wasn’t ready or something), but earlier today Steve Ballmer put an end to all of the speculation and announced their new Messaging and Security Feature Pack for Windows Mobile 5.0, an upgrade for Exchange 2003 Servers with Service Pack 2 which’ll add support for Microsoft’s new Windows Mobile Direct Push Technology. They’re obviously going straight for RIM’s heart with this one, and the new software will let you wirelessly push all Outlook information, including email, calendar, contacts, etc directly to a Windows Mobile-powered handheld without having to install any additional servers.

Taken from http://engadget.com/entry/1234000550045744/

what you think will happen to Good technology and Blackbery Enterprise Server if Palm tried to do the same???
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
    The first thing I thought when I saw this story is that to compete with MS on these groungs...

Palm must hire Marc Blanc and License ChatterEmail!!!!!
    Palm has already licensed ActiveSync - the predecessor of Mobile Direct Push - for the 650. I would think that Palm will simply continue their licensing to allow treo users to get push mail from Exchange.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz
    Palm has already licensed ActiveSync - the predecessor of Mobile Direct Push - for the 650. I would think that Palm will simply continue their licensing to allow treo users to get push mail from Exchange.
    Exactly, but it's not only Palm. I believe that Sony-Ericsson, Nokia and Motorola all have licenced Exchange Active Sync (which will morph into Mobile Direct Push) so that all their handsets can get push e-mail. I think this will marginalize RIM and others to shops not running Exchange Server 2003 (those running older Exchanger server software and Notes).
    Jeff
    indeed - this is a situation that can only benefit palmone. Since they don't make middleware server software (like RIM and Good, etc), they can only be helped by this. Exchange ActiveSync (and mobile email in general) will be so ubiquitous in a year or so, that the RIMs and Goods of the world will be marginalized. And then..extinct.

Good thing palmOne (as a pure device maker, just like Samsung, Moto, etc) is free to use whatever device OS they want. And - good thing they were one of the first to license Exchange ActiveSync last year.

All this new stuff with SP2 will just benefit palmOne. (and will be a big challenge to palmSource).
    Where I'm contracting the IT department will not allow any access to Outlook other than from inside the network or from Outlook Web Mail.

I'm guessing that they will avoid Active Sync and any successors for the same reason they don't do IMAP or POP3: Security risks. :-(
    But with Service Pack 2, EAS will have the same levels of security (FIPS 140-2) that BES and others use. No security risk at all.
    Here's the official Microsoft info: "Licensees of the Exchange ActiveSync protocol (such as palmOne, Motorola, Nokia, Symbian) can take advantage of these improvements through updates to their messaging applications or devices. The roadmap for those devices is owned and managed by the licensee."

So, it's up to Palm to update the existing software for the new features. Since Nokia/Symbian are already working on a more advanced version of ExActSync than Palm's (they have already specifically stated support for contacts and tasks, for example) it seems they will probably flood the market on behalf of Microsoft.

The potentially big loser in all this is DataViz's RoadSync (already pushed back into June from its announced May release...): As time to market for other solutions compresses, DataViz's window shrinks. They already lost major buzz by not beating this news announcement.

A totally offtopic (non-mobiles) note: In typical Microsoft fashion, the "hidden in plain sight" aspect of the EX SP2 announcement was this, "Cache mode enforcement with added flexibility. You now can force clients into cached mode to help improve performance and increase the number of active users per server. This is especially beneficial to organizations seeking to further site and server consolidation."

"Cache mode enforcement," that's a good one!
    Quote Originally Posted by DHAnderson
    Where I'm contracting the IT department will not allow any access to Outlook other than from inside the network or from Outlook Web Mail.

I'm guessing that they will avoid Active Sync and any successors for the same reason they don't do IMAP or POP3: Security risks. :-(
    ActiveSync works via OWA. So if they have OWA setup on an Exchange 2003 server, you're in!
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Sorry, but this is all over my head. Let me ask a bottom line question:

Can the Palmsource OS use this technology?
    Quote Originally Posted by jstpa
    Sorry, but this is all over my head. Let me ask a bottom line question:

Can the Palmsource OS use this technology?
    Here's an edited version of my earlier post:

"palmOne...can take advantage of these improvements...."

Hope it helps.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I sort of thought that was the answer. I wasn't sure if they would have required Palmone to stop using the palmOS and switch to CE - or whether it could "take advantage" without making a change. I knew that a CE Treo was rumored.
    has nothing to do with CE - palmOne (not PalmSource) has licensed Exchange ActiveSync as part of VersaMail for the 650. So - this helps palmOne. And as was stated above, this will hurt anyone NOT in the handset space - other software guys like DataViz and their RoadSync product, middleware guys like RIM and Good, etc. Basically, palmOne is OK on this since Microsoft doesn't make handsets. Yes, Microsoft makes an OS, but palmOne isn't in the OS business - that's PalmSource. Basically, if you're NOT in the same space as Microsoft, in any part of the tech world, you have some level of security. For a while.....
    Treo 650 uses ActiveSync. The articles say that the push email technology will be for Windows Mobile 5.0 and that current 2003 people can upgrade to 5.0. Microsoft's strategy is always to crush everyone around it. They will only allow this technology for Windows Mobile based OS' not everyone else who uses ActiveSync. Why would they want to allow Palm to license it?..they'd have nothing to gain. This, along with the other features/functions of 5.0, gives them a competitive edge that Palm can't compete with. Palm will have to "go & grab" while Windows will have push.

And if Palm does get license to the functionality, it will either only be for their first Windows based phone or the next version of the treo, not the 650, on a later OS..forcing people to purchase the new one.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waynew73
    Treo 650 uses ActiveSync. The articles say that the push email technology will be for Windows Mobile 5.0 and that current 2003 people can upgrade to 5.0. Microsoft's strategy is always to crush everyone around it. They will only allow this technology for Windows Mobile based OS' not everyone else who uses ActiveSync. Why would they want to allow Palm to license it?..they'd have nothing to gain. This, along with the other features/functions of 5.0, gives them a competitive edge that Palm can't compete with. Palm will have to "go & grab" while Windows will have push.

And if Palm does get license to the functionality, it will either only be for their first Windows based phone or the next version of the treo, not the 650, on a later OS..forcing people to purchase the new one.
    I believe to get the full Exchange sync, you need WM5. However, all the other companies that are licensing it (Palm One, Nokia etc) who don't use WM5 will be able to use the push e-mail feature, but probably not the calendar and contacts and to-do list sync features. Why would Microsoft want that? Maybe you haven't noticed, but MS only wants everyone on the planet to use their technology and not someone else’s (plus they probably sell more Exchange upgrades among other monetary benefits). That's why.
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    ActiveSync works via OWA. So if they have OWA setup on an Exchange 2003 server, you're in!
    I know the URL (https://etc) for my OWA connection. What else would i need to use Activesync, say in Versamail?

When this becomes push, how will the next generation (Windows Mobile 5 or whatever) push e-mail to the T650? Via hidden SMS?

Won't that need soem 3rd party server (or our Exchange Server administrator to install and set up accounts/phone #).

I want to do this as transparently as possible without making waves across our organization...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I don't know how push would work. But no, I doubt it would require a 3rd party server...that defeats the purpose here.

The only other thing you need is a user/pass. Point the activesync config to the OWA address and enter your user/pass.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    I know the URL (https://etc) for my OWA connection. What else would i need to use Activesync, say in Versamail?
    If you Exchange configuration is like my companies - you actually don't want the full URL - for OWA I us mail.companyname.com/exchange/username in Activesync it's just mail.companyname.com.
    You wouldn't need a 3rd party server, nor should it require a SMS to trigger a pull. I'm assuming that an ActiveSync/Mobile Push device registers a callback with the server when its activated (since each device logged in via GPRS/EDGE/1xRTT/EV-DO gets an IP address, it might register using an IP). When the Exchange mail router receives a message in addition to delivering to the mailbox it also checks the registry and sends it to any device that has registered via some kind of RPC-like call.
    Hmm. So I would need to be connected to GPRS all the time.

Also, the cheaper Cingular MediaNet packages assign you an internal IP address behind a NAT (soer of like home LANS do with NAT/Routers. I wonder if ActiveSync/MP will be able to initiate a connection from outside if the Treo doesn't have a directly accessible IP address (like the more expensive $40/mo package from Cingular provides .. and is needed vor VPN connections).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast