1.    #1  
    First off, let me say that I am a new Treo user, having had mine, through Sprint for a couple of months. I have, however, been a Palm OS user for many years using multiple devices. I decided when my last 505 died to transfer all to the Treo and I like it.

I do question however if this is technology can and will “catch on” for a larger market. Understanding that I am considered an “early adopter” as is anyone else here (I assume) I don’t see my wife or daughter ever being interested in the effort it requires to remain current and stable with a Treo. Checking for updates, downloading current versions, downloading multiple third party software, managing memory, etc.

I have been watching the roll out of the Samsung i730 Win-2003 Smartphone and have to tell you, it is very impressive. Is the Win OS more stable? Do they have the same “challenges” that face us Palm OS users? Would a Treo with the Win OS truly be superior?

I think that the Treo 650 is behind the curve compared to the i730 and other machines right around the corner. Is it going to be old by the end of the year? If the Win-2003 smartphones live up to their potential, why would anyone in the mass market want to even look at the Treo?

I’ve been through this with Apple and unfortunately even though I feel that the Apple / Mac is superior to PC’s, I was forced to move over to a PC… is my fate to migrate over to a Windows based hand held smartphone?
    From what limited exposure I've had to WinCE devices, I've pretty much concluded that, yes, they probably are more powerful than Palm devices, especially the multi-tasking bit. But I've never been enticed to make the move because I always come back to the question...WHY? Palm is what it is. Windows is what it is. As Kramer said in Seinfield, keep 'em separate, don't let those worlds collide!
    Palm made its niche by offering quick single button access to the standard PDA functionality (calendar, contacts, tasks, notes).
    I don't want my PDA to be my primary web browser/document editor...that's why I have a Windows-based laptop (my next laptop purchase will most likely be an Apple).
    I really don't even want to edit documents. I love my Treo for the email and IM functionality. If I have to do more, that's what the computer is for.
    To me, using a WinCE/Windows Mobile/Pocket PC (whatever they call themself now) device, is like driving an RV to work.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I'm indifferent to the OS. Win, Palm, whatever.

I want the fast radio. I need fast internet access outside of the office and none of the Palm phones can do it. That's why I'm looking seriously at the i730.
    I think your analogy of Apple versus Windoze is appropriate. I think Palm will survive to be a minor player, and Win Mobile devices will likely dominate the market.

BTW, if you dislike resetting, a Windows Mobile device isn't for you.

Most of us get that opportunity several times per week.

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor

Tru dat! Several times a day is not unusual with heavy network and 3rd party app usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    I think your analogy of Apple versus Windoze is appropriate. I think Palm will survive to be a minor player, and Win Mobile devices will likely dominate the market.

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth
    Do you use a reasonably recent Windows Mobile device? My HP iPaq 2110 resets about once a month vs. a reset every 2-3 days with my Treo. Both with minimal 3rd party apps. I certainly don't think resets is a major silver bullet in PalmOS's favor, in fact I'd think its a detriment. If you'd said single-handed operation I'd certainly agree that Windows Mobile is lacking in that arena.

I find that most people who complain about Windows general instability are probably speaking from past Win16 exprience (Windows 1.0-WindowsME). Windows XP is remarkably stable for an operating system that runs on arbitrary hardware and provides backward compatibility for hundreds of applications.
    Probably, Featherman.
    The Apple comparison is a good one, though whatever superiority each non-Windows platform may enjoy is limited to too-few features that are important to too-few people. When it comes to computing, the ruling maxim is "it's the software, stupid"; Microsoft is almost exclusively a software company and it shows.

To survive, Palm will need to develop either an advanced OS that has one or a few superior intrinsic qualities, or an “Every(wo)man’s Treo”, which means one that runs Windows exceptionally well. The basic device design is already a superior one.

By intrinsic qualities, I mean something way beyond being able to run “thousands of applications”. For example, an OS that is exceptionally stable or one that excels at both app/function integration and multi-tasking. Also, the OS would have to be bundled with apps that can at least read Word, Excel, PDF, and jpeg files; and a very reliable and competitive email capacity. Maybe Palm could buy DataViz and SnapperMail to maximize operability, integration, and performance.

The “ET” would have to be developed collaboratively with Microsoft to ensure that it can compete well with the best that’s out there and especially what is coming.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekuzco
    From what limited exposure I've had to WinCE devices, I've pretty much concluded that, yes, they probably are more powerful than Palm devices, especially the multi-tasking bit. But I've never been enticed to make the move because I always come back to the question...WHY? Palm is what it is. Windows is what it is. As Kramer said in Seinfield, keep 'em separate, don't let those worlds collide!
    Palm made its niche by offering quick single button access to the standard PDA functionality (calendar, contacts, tasks, notes).
    I don't want my PDA to be my primary web browser/document editor...that's why I have a Windows-based laptop (my next laptop purchase will most likely be an Apple).
    I really don't even want to edit documents. I love my Treo for the email and IM functionality. If I have to do more, that's what the computer is for.
    To me, using a WinCE/Windows Mobile/Pocket PC (whatever they call themself now) device, is like driving an RV to work.
    I think I've moved in this direction myself. I've been using a BB 7100t for a few months and I'm fairly satisfied with a device that gives me an exceptionally stable platform (zero resets in 3 months), excellent email functionality, a bundled fairly basic PIM and browser, and a relatively reliable phone with relatively good reception. It is also the smallest, lightest, and most one-handable device in this category. The keyboard is a compromise, but one that's become very acceptable to me. The main limitation is that it is a very linear OS: NO multi- or even bi-tasking -even less multi-tasking than Palm. The best payoff is that I've enjoyed learning another OS/platform.
    Last edited by Rodolfo; 06/03/2005 at 11:29 PM.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Personally, I have no loyality to either one.....in fact if anything I have severe Dis-loyality to MS after seeing first hand what they do behind the scenes, how they illegally act in the market place, and how they deal with and treat other so called partners. But I have to use what gets the job done best for the demands of my work. At the moment that is MS. But if Palm FINALLY comes out with their next release and it is better than WM2005, then I am back with Palm. But at the moment WM2003 is stable, it is powerful, there is a large software solutions selection to meet every need I have, does have multi-tasking, etc.....

We have been talking about the declining trends of Palm in the market place vs PPC over here too. It has several articles that anyone interested in this thread will find very interesting:

Future Of Palm OS & Pocket PC OS...judging by current trends...
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=69248

Bottom line is customers are often cattle wrestled towards the most popular, the swinging and growing trends, the coolest new thing, etc....

Manufacturers look to what's new for their devices. What features they can offer their customers. How the OS will enhance their phone. And which one is most marketable. At the moment MS has been coming out with steady releases, while Palm has been announcing steady delays. Since both OS companies do not control the hardware or what OS the manufacturer puts on it, they are dependent on Selling the manufacturer on all these points........And at the moment it appears that MS is getting a firmer grip than Palm is.